Allonzo Trier

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Allonzo Trier

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:Why don’t players wear the Magic and Dennis Johnson knee pads anymore?
How do you talk about 80's pads and omit Patrick Ewing?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Why don’t players wear the Magic and Dennis Johnson knee pads anymore?
Convinced Ewing skateboarded home from MSG

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Convinced Ewing skateboarded home from MSG

rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Even his shoes had huge ass tongues and padded straps to protect his Achilles tendons. As much as I hated the Knicks, it always pained me to see Ewing's face every time MJ sent him home. MJ owned his soul.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Even his shoes had huge ass tongues and padded straps to protect his Achilles tendons. As much as I hated the Knicks, it always pained me to see Ewing's face every time MJ sent him home. MJ owned his soul.

If the technology existed to cryogenically freeze and thaw someone for games a la Austin Powers, the Knicks would have started doing that with Ewing about 1990. I think Ewing had more protective gear and procedures than anyone else in basketball history.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:
gumby wrote:What about the bruise I got when I slammed down the remote?
Can you still apply for a medical redshirt?
I'm flexible. Don't know about them.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Longhorned wrote:How would these giant pillows not soften a collision of knees?

Gato Salvaje wrote:
Knee pad market as a whole tanked as kneepad/fellatio jokes rose to popularity in the 90s
Somewhere between:

and

I blame:

I would think these days, that the pads would be tailored, like a "sleep number." But, yeah, wear them!
Last edited by gumby on Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Let's get customized knee pads for both Trier and Akot. We don't want sleep number knee pads because some of our players doze on defense too much as it is.
gumby

Post by gumby »

I rest my case ...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Why exactly did he come back? Trying to figure that out right now.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote:Why exactly did he come back? Trying to figure that out right now.
The strangest game I have ever seen by him. Turning away wide open shots all game long?
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

It certainly wasn't to work on his defense (through 39 minutes and no personal fouls AKA the Bryce Alford special)
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Alieberman wrote:
The strangest game I have ever seen by him. Turning away wide open shots all game long?
Seemed like he didn’t want to be there.
SCCats wrote:
It certainly wasn't to work on his defense (through 39 minutes and no personal fouls AKA the Bryce Alford special)
Or to lead this team.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

It looks like he might come back again. He certainly isn't auditioning for the league.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

LOL he's not coming back.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote:LOL he's not coming back.
Most certainly not coming back. He didn't want to come back this year, but felt he had to due to the inadvertent doping.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

DiehardDave37 wrote:It looks like he might come back again. He certainly isn't auditioning for the league.
The first sentence was facetious because of the second sentence. I never expected him back, but I certainly didn't expect his recent lackluster efforts. Where is his hero ball when we needed it?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Again folks this is nothing new out of trier

I took a lot of shit from you all for stating the same a year ago. Because my opinion based on what I was seeing was different then most here at the time.

Not looking for any merit badges, it’s just kinda all funny to me that’s all.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Again folks this is nothing new out of trier

I took a lot of shit from you all for stating the same a year ago. Because my opinion based on what I was seeing was different then most here at the time.

Not looking for any merit badges, it’s just kinda all funny to me that’s all.
Your contention has always been that Trier takes over when it’s not needed and takes us out of games by hogging the ball.

That is exactly the opposite of what’s been happening.

You should just be real and say you don’t like Allonzo Trier no matter what he does.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Wait, what is new out of Trier? Dude was leading all power conference players, heading into this road trip, in qualified high usage scoring efficiency. He is now third, behind Bagley and Ayton.

Come again?
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:55 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin wrote:
Most certainly not coming back. He didn't want to come back this year, but felt he had to due to the inadvertent doping.
At the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you. At this point, however, given AT's rapidly falling draft prospects he may have to decide whether the Euro Leagues or NBA D-league games in Minot, ND are preferable to the hot young Co-eds at the UA.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip wrote:Wait, what is new out of Trier? Dude was leading all power conference players, heading into this road trip, in qualified high usage scoring efficiency. He is now third, behind Bagley and Ayton.

Come again?
He’s averaging 13 pts, 4 assists his last five games and he’s 10-29 shooting in the last three. And he definitely isn’t playing defense at some kind of elevated level to affect the game on that side of the court. Shit, I haven’t even seen him talking in the huddle. Something is off.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

His d still sucks and he hasn’t matured in leadership from what I’m reading lately.

So my opinion stands.

Didnt/couldn’t watch the last game so you are correct, my opinion is not informed by the most recent games.
prh

Post by prh »

Chicat wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:Wait, what is new out of Trier? Dude was leading all power conference players, heading into this road trip, in qualified high usage scoring efficiency. He is now third, behind Bagley and Ayton.

Come again?
He’s averaging 13 pts, 4 assists his last five games and he’s 10-29 shooting in the last three. And he definitely isn’t playing defense at some kind of elevated level to affect the game on that side of the court. Shit, I haven’t even seen him talking in the huddle. Something is off.
Maybe he's exhausted from all his school's fans hating him :?:

(snark not directed at you or any specific individual)
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:

Come again?
Well, his defense is always going to struggle because he doesnt have great lateral quickness, his footwork is a bit off (heavy feet), he is not good getting over screens, and he doesnt have the measureables.

Regarding the shooting, yeah, hes settling way too much. However, his game is built on dribble penetration. That is pretty difficult to do with teams sitting in a zone and Ayton and Ristic clogging the lane. Add in the fact that CU was trapping him coming off ball screens, when they were in man, and you can see part of the issue.

Either way, him taking that many threes in the CU game is not what we want from him. He needs to be going downhill, and I still have issues the way Miller uses him via movement and action, or lack thereof, off the ball.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

CalStateTempe wrote:His d still sucks and he hasn’t matured in leadership from what I’m reading lately.

So my opinion stands.

Didnt/couldn’t watch the last game so you are correct, my opinion is not informed by the most recent games.
His D isnt going to improve much over average. He will dial it in when we need him to, but even then, hes slightly above average for a short span.

I think hes been pretty good as a leader. He isnt forcing up shots, hes been solid as a back up PG when he isnt facing pressure, and I thought he did a really good job running the show in PJCs absence (fouls) against Utah.
Last edited by TucsonClip on Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

prh wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Come again?
Maybe he's exhausted from all his school's fans hating him :?:

(snark not directed at you or any specific individual)
Haha. I mean, the guy does get all kinds of hate, because people hate watching him play offensively, despite being one of the most efficient scorers Miller has ever had in his entire coaching career.

-Shane Battier
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ISO and get out of the way of Trier, look how he took care of ASU at the end of the game. We all knew what was coming

10/10 free throws v ASU.

The 2 games after, he shot 3-3 total with none of those coming at the loss at Colorado.

2 games prior he was 5-6 total.

That's not a lot of dribble penetration, outside of ASU. And none at CU where no balls for falling, either from 3 pt line to 2 feet in. Couldn't get a little dribble penetration and get some fouls?

On defense, he has a total of 7 fouls in 5 games, where no game he was in foul trouble. You're not fouling if you ain't trying 'Zo!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:His d still sucks and he hasn’t matured in leadership from what I’m reading lately.

So my opinion stands.

His D isnt going to improve much over average. He will dial it in when we need him to, but even then, hes slightly above average for a short span.

I think hes been pretty good as a leader. He isnt forcing up shots, hes been solid as a back up PG when he isnt facing pressure, and I thought he did a really good job running the show in PJCs absence (fouls) against Utah.
He's getting 3 times the assists per game vs his freshman year. The backup pg role isn't in his wheelhouse, but he's been doing it.

I'd like him to have a bit fewer to's, but he's gone from negative to positive a/to ratio. His D won't ever be great, but I haven't seen him as the weak link this year.

People get real harsh with Zo, but he's grown significantly as a player and gives us a lot of good things.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I think Trier passing up shots and being less selfish is a sign he's trying to defer and get more people involved. He's learning when he needs to assert himself offensively. He just needs to let the game come to him. He's really due for a stretch where he goes off on opponents. It's coming.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:ISO and get out of the way of Trier, look how he took care of ASU at the end of the game. We all knew what was coming

10/10 free throws v ASU.

The 2 games after, he shot 3-3 total with none of those coming at the loss at Colorado.

That's not a lot of dribble penetration, outside of ASU. And none at CU where no balls for falling, either from 3 pt line to 2 feet in. Couldn't get a little dribble penetration and get some fouls?

On defense, he has a total of 7 fouls in 5 games, where no game he was in foul trouble. You're not fouling if you ain't trying 'Zo!
If there's a concerning part of Zo's game from the recent road trip, it was him being overly deferential. You're correct that only 1 two point attempt vs Colorado is concerning. He's been fine the remainder of the year, though. It's too early to sound an alarm.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

It isn't simply being passive. Trier becomes deferential after trying to force the issue and try to take what isn't there. That's what happened in Boulder, and it wasn't the first time. Forcing it breeds passivity. He does better when he lets the game come to him.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Merkin wrote:ISO and get out of the way of Trier, look how he took care of ASU at the end of the game. We all knew what was coming

10/10 free throws v ASU.

If there's a concerning part of Zo's game from the recent road trip, it was him being overly deferential. You're correct that only 1 two point attempt vs Colorado is concerning. He's been fine the remainder of the year, though. It's too early to sound an alarm.
On the road, hostile environment, the second game in 36 hours, down big at the half . . . . . that’s when you’d expect the best upperclassman and purest shooter to step up and take over. To get open and demand the ball. To shoot himself into a hot streak. To open up the floor and not let the other team pack in the zone.

I did not see any of that. If there was ever a time for Iso_Zo, it was around the 5-7 minute mark of the second half at Colorado when the offense stagnated. I was literally begging him to get open and make something happen.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

dmjcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
At the beginning of the season I would have agreed with you. At this point, however, given AT's rapidly falling draft prospects he may have to decide whether the Euro Leagues or NBA D-league games in Minot, ND are preferable to the hot young Co-eds at the UA.
That is what I was getting at in my post above. He certainly doesn't even appear to be trying to do the things that will improve his draft stock. As a pre-season All American, is he even in the first round now of mock drafts?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Sadly DraftExpress is no more, that was the best site out there, but Jonathon Givony went to work for ESPN.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft" target="_blank has Trier beginning to mid 2nd round.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:

So my opinion stands.

He's getting 3 times the assists per game vs his freshman year. The backup pg role isn't in his wheelhouse, but he's been doing it.

I'd like him to have a bit fewer to's, but he's gone from negative to positive a/to ratio. His D won't ever be great, but I haven't seen him as the weak link this year.

People get real harsh with Zo, but he's grown significantly as a player and gives us a lot of good things.
We are on the same page here. Ive had to go to bat for Trier the last three seasons on Scout against a few people, so I dont want to come off as a Trier homer. I love what he brings to a college team, despite him not being my style of a guy.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Merkin wrote:Sadly DraftExpress is no more, that was the best site out there, but Jonathon Givony went to work for ESPN.

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft" target="_blank has Trier beginning to mid 2nd round.
Schmitz is at ESPN too. They are still putting out high quality work.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Chicat wrote:
On the road, hostile environment, the second game in 36 hours, down big at the half . . . . . that’s when you’d expect the best upperclassman and purest shooter to step up and take over. To get open and demand the ball. To shoot himself into a hot streak. To open up the floor and not let the other team pack in the zone.

I did not see any of that. If there was ever a time for Iso_Zo, it was around the 5-7 minute mark of the second half at Colorado when the offense stagnated. I was literally begging him to get open and make something happen.
Not gonna disagree with that, but, again, its difficult to do what he does when there are 5+ guys sitting in the paint every possession. Ill keep saying that how Miller uses Trier off the ball really bugs me, but against a zone that gets toned down.

-Shane Battier
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Appreciate the discussion. Looking forward to watching games and comparing we’re he’ll be in feb vs dec this season.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

A greater offensive threat at point guard changes a lot for Trier. And the entire team.
prh

Post by prh »

zonagrad wrote:A greater offensive threat at point guard changes a lot for Trier. And the entire team.
Shhh nobody wants to get into that :?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Trier made me eat some serious crow. I enjoyed it. He was masterful today.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Sealed he game for us.
qwertyus

Post by qwertyus »

YoDeFoe wrote:Sealed he game for us.
Clutch alley oop. Clutch three. Made all 11 FT's, and took players on off the dribble. Can't ask for much more.

If only he were a good enough passer to take over PG duties...
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Trier makes u wanna throw things in the first half, then kiss his feet in the second. Anyone want to take a stab at why it's like this most games it seems?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

rgdeuce wrote:Trier makes u wanna throw things in the first half, then kiss his feet in the second. Anyone want to take a stab at why it's like this most games it seems?
Post of the day....I just don’t get it. It’s got to be a mental issue at this point because he’s way too talented to be off like this in the first half almost EVERY game.

When was he ‘on his game’ in both the first and second halves? It’s become a talking point for the announcers at this stage because it’s so obvious....smh.
Last edited by Bangkok Wildcat on Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Is Zo deferring to others in the first half?
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Is Zo deferring to others in the first half?
Good question Dave....And could this be causing him to start slow with his offense?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Is Zo deferring to others in the first half?
He took 8 shots, 6 of them threes (missing 5 of those). But he wasn’t forcing the action to my eyes.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

But there have been first halves, IIRC, that he has not taken as many as 8 shots.