Stoudamire leaving

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

UAEebs86

Stoudamire leaving

Post by UAEebs86 »

Scheer just tweeted Damon is going to Memphis to be an assistant.

Grizzlies or Tigers?

EDIT: Tigers
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Mon May 18, 2015 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Main Event

Re: Stoudamire leaving

Post by Main Event »

Tigers, and why?
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

Why is he leaving?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Still trying to figure this one out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Always thought he would leave soon, but I just naturally assumed he would be taking a step up, not back.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Chicat wrote:Always thought he would leave soon, but I just naturally assumed he would be taking a step up, not back.
Maybe it's Associate HC?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Mehh. Don't get it at all
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

Makes no sense professionally, must be something (family?) in Memphis that is a priority for him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Get Premium!

RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

color me unsurprised

Just by judging body language and expressions on the bench during games and timeouts he was clearly bored and a bit detached. Never really noticed him get excited, interested, intense, or really engaged on the sideline in the two years he was back. It will be interesting to see if he's the same way on the Memphis sideline

Oh well no love lost for Mighty Mouse!! GL in Memphis
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

RiseAndFire wrote:color me unsurprised

Just by judging body language and expressions on the bench during games and timeouts he was clearly bored and a bit detached. Never really noticed him get excited, interested, intense, or really engaged on the sideline in the two years he was back. It will be interesting to see if he's the same way on the Memphis sideline
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Pastner's days as HC are numbered....Damon makes sense to step into the role.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Coop Cat

Post by Coop Cat »

az91

Post by az91 »

Olsondogg wrote:Pastner's days as HC are numbered....Damon makes sense to step into the role.
Yes, Damon could be the head coach in waiting.
az91

Post by az91 »

Apparently, Pastner still has three assistants on staff, so one of them will have to be "Pastnered" to bring Damon back.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

az91 wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:Pastner's days as HC are numbered....Damon makes sense to step into the role.
Yes, Damon could be the head coach in waiting.
I think that would only make sense if he became the interim, had success, and then they decided to keep him as HC.

If it's an end of the year decision, I'd think Memphis would want some kind of a "big name".
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:

Thanks for getting the real story with investigative body language analysis. Lost art.
Right where I want to be.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I wonder what the analysis of body language indicates with Sean Miller? What do his body language and expressions during games and timeouts indicate?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

gumby wrote:
Chicat wrote:

Thanks for getting the real story with investigative body language analysis. Lost art.
The old eye test. Mmmmm, where have I heard that before?
-JB
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Olsondogg wrote:I wonder what the analysis of body language indicates with Sean Miller? What do his body language and expressions during games and timeouts indicate?
Constipation
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Chicat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I wonder what the analysis of body language indicates with Sean Miller? What do his body language and expressions during games and timeouts indicate?
Constipation
Beans beans the magical fruit...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

When is Pastner's contract extension up? His salary is 100% guaranteed even if he is fired without cause and he is one of the highest paid coaches in CBB.

Memphis to Atlanta: 5 h 46 min (384.0 mi) via I-20 W and US-78 W

That makes as much sense and Will Bynum leaving UA to be closer to his mother in Chicago and ending up in Georgia.
Last edited by Merkin on Mon May 18, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

az91

Post by az91 »

Who replaces Damon? Another former player like Geary, Blair, or Simon?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I told Sean Id take the job for half what he was paying Damon. No call back yet...

Can we steal Khalid from Christ the King?
Last edited by Jefe on Mon May 18, 2015 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

az91 wrote:Who replaces Damon? Another former player like Geary, Blair, or Simon?
I don't think Blair wants to coach. He prefers to work at this charity and coaching would not give him time.

Don't think Simon was much of a coach when he was at the UA.

Geary was fucked over once by the UA for a coaching position, don't think he will fall for that again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

This should be Sean Miller's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and only call IMO. Make him say no a bunch of times before you move on. Best assistant we could get on this side of the country.

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 51573.html
Zero

Post by Zero »

That was sudden. A little excitement in the off season. New assistant plane tracker?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

az91 wrote:Apparently, Pastner still has three assistants on staff, so one of them will have to be "Pastnered" to bring Damon back.
Aki Collins just got Pastnered.
-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Constipation
This is not constipation. This is a violent evacuation of the bowels.

az91

Post by az91 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
az91 wrote:Apparently, Pastner still has three assistants on staff, so one of them will have to be "Pastnered" to bring Damon back.
Aki Collins just got Pastnered.
That was quick. I like that the Memphis press release said that he left to pursue other opportunities. Maybe other opportunities like the unemployment line?
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
Should've just hired him in the first place then.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Coop Cat wrote:
Thought I read that the Atlanta area would be Stouamire's primary recruiting area, so yeah, that does make sense.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Not when Damon wanted to coach here...
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

just saw damon's "speech" on twitter. best of luck to him and his family.

i don't know anything about mark phelps, but it sounds like he's Arizona-bound. that was quick. welcome to the wildcat family, mark.

CSM mentioned on several occasions that one of the best things damon brings to the table is his story. dude was living proof of a guy who went to Arizona, had an amazing college experience, then strung together a pretty nice pro career. great example for recruits, as well as mentorship for the current players.

no regrets about the phelps hire, i guess, but it would've been nice to see someone from the UofA NBA tree fill the spot -- maybe someone like loren woods or ben davis? khalid? hotsauce? oh well, it's moot.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

ChooChooCat wrote:This should be Sean Miller's 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and only call IMO. Make him say no a bunch of times before you move on. Best assistant we could get on this side of the country.

http://www.goaztecs.com/sports/m-baskbl ... 51573.html
Great call Choo. Recruiting! and D, and a young guy on a fast, fast track.

(That is if Phelps isn't already in the bag.)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dirtbags wrote:
no regrets about the phelps hire, i guess, but it would've been nice to see someone from the UofA NBA tree fill the spot -- maybe someone like loren woods or ben davis? khalid? hotsauce? oh well, it's moot.
Personally I don't get why fans are so goo goo gah gah over former players coming back to coach. If the guy is qualified like Damon Stoudamire was, then absolutely bring him on if he wants to come, but the whole angle of we need an Arizona guy here is just overblown IMO. Get the best coaches period. Our AD is from ASU, our head coach is from Pittsburgh, our top recruiter went to some small school in New York. Who cares? Best coaches and best recruiters regardless of alumnus background = Success

I know you're saying you have no regrets about Phelps, so I'm not talking about you, but just many fans in general hold that sentiment and it's just silly. Take a look at Kentucky or Duke or Louisville or etc., etc. coaching staffs and tell me how many NBA guys they have coaching on their teams. The NBA guy isn't important in this sport, it's just not.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Phelps is a Miller guy. Miller should just hire his guys. The same things would've been accomplished either way.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Phelps is a Miller guy. Miller should just hire his guys. The same things would've been accomplished either way.
Right, but Stoudamire is a tie-in to the "players program" mantra. Past/present/future.

It doesn't matter either way, but I am happy that Miller accepted a player from the former regime. Helps the image.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Right, but Stoudamire is a tie-in to the "players program" mantra. Past/present/future.

It doesn't matter either way, but I am happy that Miller accepted a player from the former regime. Helps the image.
Yeah, I certainly wasn't displeased with the Stoudamire hire at the time and the Players Program mantra definitely made it fit perfectly. He certainly only did well at the program during his time here, but the move back to Memphis to a coach who is on his likely last year at the program says it all for me. I don't think Stoudamire and Miller were a good fit for each other. I'm not saying they clashed heads or anything, but I just think they simply are different style of coaches. It is what it is though and it couldn't have happened any other way. Miller got his guy in the end and Damon will only continue to succeed no matter how many more years he spends in Memphis.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ChooChooCat wrote:
dirtbags wrote:
Personally I don't get why fans are so goo goo gah gah over former players coming back to coach. If the guy is qualified like Damon Stoudamire was, then absolutely bring him on if he wants to come, but the whole angle of we need an Arizona guy here is just overblown IMO. Get the best coaches period. Our AD is from ASU, our head coach is from Pittsburgh, our top recruiter went to some small school in New York. Who cares? Best coaches and best recruiters regardless of alumnus background = Success

I know you're saying you have no regrets about Phelps, so I'm not talking about you, but just many fans in general hold that sentiment and it's just silly. Take a look at Kentucky or Duke or Louisville or etc., etc. coaching staffs and tell me how many NBA guys they have coaching on their teams. The NBA guy isn't important in this sport, it's just not.
sorry - allow me to clarify. i agree that you gotta pick the guy who can coach / develop & recruit the best. but all else being equal, i'd rather have an assistant coach who has played in the nba (pref a former big)... and it seems like there's some good pickins of former pros just from the Arizona family tree.

if a big part of the UofA pitch to recruits & players is: "i know you want to get to the nba. we can get you to there," then it seems like they would perceive a huge benefit to not only go where coaches who have developed nba talent, but to also have folks on staff who actually lived the experience and know what it's like preparing for the draft process, getting to the next level, being a pro ball player, etc.

as it stands currently, we are the only team in the conference besides wazzu (and i think 'rado? not 100% sure, though they have chauncey billups' brother on staff) without a former nba player on staff to mentor their kids through. and you know cuonzo, alfraud - hell, even asu - are going to leverage that fact against us in recruiting.

the other benefit of having a former pro, as CSM mentioned, is that it helps underscore the importance of honoring & respecting the process to his players. again, i trust byrne & Miller's judgment, but the nba thing seems like a little bit of a needs gap in our staff.

kentucky and l'ville have guys on staff who have played or coached at the next level. duke can get away with not having someone like that because they're duke. and kan'tsas folks gripe all the time about how their recruiting has trended downward since manning left.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Olsondogg wrote: It doesn't matter either way, but I am happy that Miller accepted a player from the former regime. Helps the image.

Byrne is also an ASU alum, so that didn't hurt either.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Merkin wrote:
Olsondogg wrote: It doesn't matter either way, but I am happy that Miller accepted a player from the former regime. Helps the image.

Not sure what this has to do with anything.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

dirtbags wrote:just saw damon's "speech" on twitter. best of luck to him and his family.
Ya was a bit odd
Damon - I tell u the last 72 hrs have been tough but, let me take everyone into my mind for a moment! Every since I was 7 yrs old I dedicated my Life to being a NBA baller! Yes, I was selfish every step of the way. I had a great 13 yr career in the NBA. When I retired I started Coaching and fell in love with it! I have ability lots of ppl struggle with and that dealing with kids! It's always been that way! As When I left Memphis it was about a opportunity to come back to my alma mater and represent U of A the best I could! Strange thing is I Found out a lot who Damon Stoudamire actually was! I had changed. I wasn't the same guy anymore! The question became were as good as any Team in the country, we have pros, I work for 1 of the best dudes and basketball minds in the country! Why do i feel empty? I'm helping raise everybody else's kids but, what about my 2 boys?! They need me too. All my playing yrs I was selfish and it worked out. For me but, now it's not about me it's about my boys! I never really knew how I felt till I missed seeing them play in football and Basketball games! I was finally there dad again. Not the guy on TV anymore. I'd finally built our relationship where it needed to be. This opportunity to still do what I love coaching bball and helping kids but, being by my own was to good to pass up! In my eyes it's the Best of both worlds! Arizona bball is in great place with a great coach, passionate fans, great administration! I will always be AZ to The heart but, right now it's just not about me. #beardown#AZ4life#
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dirtbags wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
dirtbags wrote:

sorry - allow me to clarify. i agree that you gotta pick the guy who can coach / develop & recruit the best. but all else being equal, i'd rather have an assistant coach who has played in the nba (pref a former big)... and it seems like there's some good pickins of former pros just from the Arizona family tree.

if a big part of the UofA pitch to recruits & players is: "i know you want to get to the nba. we can get you to there," then it seems like they would perceive a huge benefit to not only go where coaches who have developed nba talent, but to also have folks on staff who actually lived the experience and know what it's like preparing for the draft process, getting to the next level, being a pro ball player, etc.

as it stands currently, we are the only team in the conference besides wazzu (and i think 'rado? not 100% sure, though they have chauncey billups' brother on staff) without a former nba player on staff to mentor their kids through. and you know cuonzo, alfraud - hell, even asu - are going to leverage that fact against us in recruiting.

the other benefit of having a former pro, as CSM mentioned, is that it helps underscore the importance of honoring & respecting the process to his players. again, i trust byrne & Miller's judgment, but the nba thing seems like a little bit of a needs gap in our staff.

kentucky and l'ville have guys on staff who have played or coached at the next level. duke can get away with not having someone like that because they're duke. and kan'tsas folks gripe all the time about how their recruiting has trended downward since manning left.
Good points all around, but let's be honest does anybody even know that Kenny Payne and Kenny Johnson played a minute in the NBA? It's not as if they have the resume of Damon Stoudamire. Also the other coaches with NBA experience at those two schools coached under Calipari/Pitino and have followed them from that point on. So their entire experience in the NBA stems from the head coach anyways. Maybe the argument should be that Sean Miller is missing the NBA thing more than anything.

Btw not a single coaching staff in the PAC-12 has a guy who stuck in the NBA. It's a moot point all around IMO.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Tue May 19, 2015 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Track record of putting players in the league is what matters. Miller has had that before and after various assistants have come and gone.
azthrillhouse

Post by azthrillhouse »

Olsondogg wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Not sure what this has to do with anything.
Also, an overplayed angle whenever it comes up. He didn't start his education at ASU - he chose Oregon & started his undergrad there, met his future wife there, she moved to Phoenix, he went with her and finished his degree at ASU. Didn't walk at graduation. It's worth giving the guy a hard time about in jest, but it's pretty clear he has no affinity for them, was purely a business relationship. Scummie in name only.
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

Puerco wrote:
Coop Cat wrote:
Thought I read that the Atlanta area would be Stouamire's primary recruiting area, so yeah, that does make sense.
Um, Brian Snow: how many flights a day between Memphis and Atlanta? Tucson and Atlanta?

Anyway, Memphis to Atlanta is what a 7 or 8 hour drive? Tucson to Atlanta is a 3.5 day drive.

So, yes, Memphis is closer and much more convenient to Damon's family in Atlanta.
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.