Ryan Anderson

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Merkin

Ryan Anderson

Post by Merkin »

AZCatGirl

Re: Ryan Anderson

Post by AZCatGirl »

Whenever there's a post in a player thread I fear it's about an injury...

Glad Ryan made the watch list. Hope he's able to survive the first cut.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Anderson continues to sit out practices this week with his ankle sprain, but there’s little doubt he will try to play Saturday at Gonzaga.

It’s just a matter of how well.

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... ium=direct" target="_blank

Miller on Anderson:

but his technical foul late in the Boise State game was alarming for me because we’re really looking at Ryan and leaning on him, especially without Kaleb, to be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

“And the solution is being calm in a crisis, knowing that we’re already one frontcourt player down, (and not committing) a silly foul, a technical foul. We finished with five guards because they have five three-point shooters and we started to run out of people who can guard those players. And that put us at risk and it’s a lesson he needs to learn and that’s unacceptable really for anybody in a program that prides itself on winning and making sure it’s not about you, it’s about us.

“Of course I’m OK with Ryan. Not OK with what he did. And hopefully now that it happened, our entire team will learn. ..
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Hope his ankle is ready at game time. Be nice to see Gabe and Trier hit a few threes this afternoon. D up guys, almost showtime.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Damn im working till 230p! Game on record. Lots of great beers in the fridge! Go cats and yes we gotta hit the trey today to win
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Does Miller give him the night of Wednesday? Curious to see how much playing time he gets Wednesday.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Frybry02 wrote:Does Miller give him the night of Wednesday? Curious to see how much playing time he gets Wednesday.
No chance he gets the night off.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

The trainers will be earning their money. Tape him up !

Hopefully he'll continue to rest until Wed. No practice.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Definitely not 100 percent, but, man, does he battle. Really like this guy (but ditch the behind-the-back dribble, please).
Right where I want to be.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

LOL @ the behind the back dribble. Yeah, sometimes he forgets he doesn't play for Boston College anymore and has to do a million things to get his nut, when we don't do that here. Love the kid though.
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

By far my fav guy on the team. An absolute warrior. If you stick RA in Zeus' body, that's a top 10 pick in next year's draft.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Our steadiest player was unsteady. Surprising.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

A trip to LA he hopes to soon forget.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Sorry, but he lost us this game.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

He's been horrible the last two. Looks tired, careless, lethargic.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You'd think a guy playing his first ever homecoming game(s) in his collegiate career would play like he gives two f*cks. I guess not...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Miller rides his ass pretty hard when he deserves it, and Anderson seems to tune him out - more than anyone I remember in the program. First time I noticed it was at the tournament in December... but it has been evident a few times.

Very strange dynamic for a kid who seems to be a hard worker with a great attitude in every other regard. Different people respond to different styles, and maybe Anderson does not care to be yelled at.

Whatever is going on with RA... this team's chances of achieving its goals are nearly extinguished if Anderson does not play to his potential. I hope he bounces back... starting this week.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

based on body language, ryan seems to be pretty tough on himself even without CSM on his case. he's got the salim-sulk going on at times. this trip has been particularly rough for RA, though. hopefully it's something like a stomach virus and not fatigue, burnout, or something personal. we all want to see him succeed.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

dirtbags wrote:based on body language, ryan seems to be pretty tough on himself even without CSM on his case. he's got the salim-sulk going on at times. this trip has been particularly rough for RA, though. hopefully it's something like a stomach virus and not fatigue, burnout, or something personal. we all want to see him succeed.
He lost his confidence early in this one. He didn't get any calls in the first half (we shot 2 FT's total). Once that happens, you get a little gun-shy. RA will be fine and will bounce back at home.

I fully expect us to sweep the LA schools when they make the trip to McKale. It's not like we were blown out in either game. I think we left a lot of money on the table this weekend and our players know it. Good growth opportunity for the players to really buy in to Miller preaching defense for 40 minutes.
az91

Post by az91 »

He has become a dumpster fire.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

az91 wrote:He has become a dumpster fire.
Ok, let's take it easy...
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

billk78 wrote:He's been horrible the last two. Looks tired, careless, lethargic.

He definitely did not pass the eye test the last two games, but how do you fault 15 points and 15 boards against UCLA?

Any theories about what is up with him? He seems OFF since his tech and maybe is sensitive to the scolding he got from Miller in the UCLA game. This last game is so uncharacteristic of "Mr. Steady". Was he ticked off for being chewed out in front of friends and family Thursday night?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Hey guys, I've got a theory. Now, I know it might be WAAAAAY out there for some of you, but bear with me as this might take a while to properly explain:

Ryan Anderson........

Had a bad game.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I've noticed all year he has the problem of thinking he's better than he is and there is no better example then when tries to take guys 1 on 1 down low in the post. He has no post moves, no touch. Yet every game he forces at least 5 shots trying to take someone in the post. He usually gets blocked, turns it over, or forces a really bad shot. Anderson is to slow to gaurd 4s and not skilled enough on offense. He's a throw back junk yard dog pf. I do not like his game at all and to the eye test as the season has gone on other teams have figured him out. He should be the number 4 or 5 option on offense not getting plays called for him. Anderson would have been the perfect backup 4 and 5 this year if Ashley hadn't made the mistake of going pro. Oh well I appreciate Ryans effort but his attitude and how he responds to Miller, when he was playing for Boston College before here, who does he think he is? He's not a star and not best player on this team imo. The sooner he and the team realize that, the better imo or a lot more teams are gonna expose him the rest of conference play.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Lando05 wrote:I've noticed all year he has the problem of thinking he's better than he is and there is no better example then when tries to take guys 1 on 1 down low in the post. He has no post moves, no touch. Yet every game he forces at least 5 shots trying to take someone in the post. He usually gets blocked, turns it over, or forces a really bad shot. Anderson is to slow to gaurd 4s and not skilled enough on offense. He's a throw back junk yard dog pf. I do not like his game at all and to the eye test as the season has gone on other teams have figured him out. He should be the number 4 or 5 option on offense not getting plays called for him. Anderson would have been the perfect backup 4 and 5 this year if Ashley hadn't made the mistake of going pro. Oh well I appreciate Ryans effort but his attitude and how he responds to Miller, when he was playing for Boston College before here, who does he think he is? He's not a star and not best player on this team imo. The sooner he and the team realize that, the better imo or a lot more teams are gonna expose him the rest of conference play.
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketb ... n-anderson" target="_blank

He is shooting 53% from the field and 74% from the field while averaging a double-double. Numbers don't lie.

We are damn lucky to have him on this team. While Ashley was one of my favorite Cats of the Miller era, Anderson is more productive.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anderson is going to have a big year in the Pac. I wouldn't doubt him.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Numbers don't pass the eye test and Anderson has failed the eye test. This team would be much better with Ashley than Anderson. Just cuz someone puts up numbers doesn't mean there good. Bryce Alford is in the top 5 in scoring in the pac 12 and top 5 for assists. I guess he's one of the 5 best players in the pac. Anderson might be the best 4 on our team but I would take almost every other starter in the confernce over him and we'd be a better team. Anderson is every bit as a black hole on offense as Lyons could be. Just my opinion I'm not a fan of Andersons game. Why did we make a comeback last night with Anderson benched and Stick playing the 4. Thought we looked much better and that was with tolly playing... still blows my mind.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Lando05 wrote:Numbers don't pass the eye test and Anderson has failed the eye test. This team would be much better with Ashley than Anderson. Just cuz someone puts up numbers doesn't mean there good. Bryce Alford is in the top 5 in scoring in the pac 12 and top 5 for assists. I guess he's one of the 5 best players in the pac. Anderson might be the best 4 on our team but I would take almost every other starter in the confernce over him and we'd be a better team. Anderson is every bit as a black hole on offense as Lyons could be. Just my opinion I'm not a fan of Andersons game. Why did we make a comeback last night with Anderson benched and Stick playing the 4. Thought we looked much better and that was with tolly playing... still blows my mind.
Then get your eyes checked. He averages a double-double and makes more than half his shots, while converting at an acceptable clip from the stripe. Overall, he is not a turnover machine, either. He brings production and efficiency. Eliminate the defensive lapses and the poor turnovers in bad games (like last night) and he is a strong POY candidate. I'll be shocked is he does not end up on the All-Conference team.

He made some costly errors last night; it was a bad game for him. Shit happens.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Did you see his bird score last night? All confernce players don't become a liability and cost you games either.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

And to the eye test on offense he holds the ball to long. Takes long jumpers early in the shot clock. If he were to play to his strengths and hustle on defense I wouldn't have a problem with him.
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

don't forget that RA got hurt four games into the season and hasn't looked 100% physically since. dude is banged up.

also, this:
Beachcat97 wrote:Anderson is going to have a big year in the Pac. I wouldn't doubt him.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Dude has one shit game and a decent game with shit defense in another and he's the problem? Come on now.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

rgdeuce wrote:Dude has one shit game and a decent game with shit defense in another and he's the problem? Come on now.
For now, I'll call it a slump. That's expected during the season for many players. If he's playing hurt, then he's doing what he can. I think he'll bounce back and be a big factor for us the rest of the way, especially with Trier out. RA needs to attack and get to the line 6-8 times per game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Lando05 wrote:And to the eye test on offense he holds the ball to long. Takes long jumpers early in the shot clock. If he were to play to his strengths and hustle on defense I wouldn't have a problem with him.
Not understanding your allegiance to "eye test." Or maybe I don't understand the definition. He puts up better numbers than most PFs, but you'd rather have any other four. Do the points and rebounds just not register? He doesn't look pretty enough? Miller kept giving him the gold jersey because his vision is impaired?

You don't like his game, OK. But you can't pretend the double-doubles don't matter.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

gumby wrote:
Lando05 wrote:And to the eye test on offense he holds the ball to long. Takes long jumpers early in the shot clock. If he were to play to his strengths and hustle on defense I wouldn't have a problem with him.
Not understanding your allegiance to "eye test." Or maybe I don't understand the definition. He puts up better numbers than most PFs, but you'd rather have any other four. Do the points and rebounds just not register? He doesn't look pretty enough? Miller kept giving him the gold jersey because his vision is impaired?

You don't like his game, OK. But you can't pretend the double-doubles don't matter.
I'll take RA over Brandon Ashley, that's for sure.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

gumby wrote:

:roll:

The ole 'eye test'.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

Puerco wrote:
:roll:

The ole 'eye test'.
There's nothing wrong with the 'eye test'.

Oh, except when the eyes are shooting info to a brain that doesn't understand basketball.

THAT is when the eye test has some serious flaws.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Lando05 wrote:Did you see his bird score last night? All confernce players don't become a liability and cost you games either.
Did you see his win share per 40 mins over the course of the season? Best player on the team -- no one is even close.

You need :ugeek:
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I hope he proves me wrong and is the player you all see. I see him like I saw Lyons and Momo, same type of attitude and type of players. Me first players who think they are better than they are, don't play within themselves. If they could learn to play within themselves then they could maximize their talent. Low basketball IQ for the 3 of them. Doesn't mean they aren't talented or good, I just think we would be better off with Ashley this year and have a higher ceiling. I hope I'm wrong and he's as good as you all say and we win the Pac 12 and get a 3 seed. As for what I have seen from him this year, especially recently with his defensive effort just not a fan of his game. I have no problem with his rebounding, great rebounder. But as far as he is as a defender and as on offense threat, those are 2 areas where he hurts us.

As and aside, it's funny how some of you use stats to justify how good a player is i.e. Anderson, yet Alford who puts up good numbers too, isn't as good, some call him selfish and that he takes bad shots and is a douche according to the consensus of Wildcats fans. Yet he puts up good numbers, so stats tell the whole story of a player don't they? I would argue there's more to evaluating a player than "stats".

And to Gumby the double doubles help, but I think he stunts the offensive flow and potential. In the USC game at the end of regulation and in overtimes we looked better on offense and defense with Tolly at the 4. That concerns me, The spacing was better, the defensive effort was better. If Anderson plays more like he did against Providence against the rest of the pac 12 I will eat crow and happily admit my take was off base, but until then I'm still skeptical of his play.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

How does he stunt the offensive flow? He does most of his damage picking up other's mistakes on the glass or dunking/finishing off a pass. He isn't a guy who gets into position and demands the ball in the low post. He takes some ill-advised midrange shots, but he doesn't miss them all either.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I don't get negativity around Anderson. He is not a dominant defender. That's a fair criticism. Double digit rebounders don't grow on trees. He is shooting over 52% from 2. Those things matter.

If you focus on all he doesn't do, you can support the negativity. Every offensive stat he has is good, though, and that counts too. This weekend was not the best for him, but those things happen.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:How does he stunt the offensive flow? He does most of his damage picking up other's mistakes on the glass or dunking/finishing off a pass. He isn't a guy who gets into position and demands the ball in the low post. He takes some ill-advised midrange shots, but he doesn't miss them all either.
This is what I see. Frankly, he's more of a garbageman finishing off plays others make than a ball stopper.

The advanced stats bear that out too. Take a look at his PER relative to Trier, Gabe and Dusan, then look at his usage rate. Usage is basically a 3 way tie for first, and his PER is significantly higher than the others.

Edited for reference.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sch ... /2016.html" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Agree, I don't see too many plays called for him like you see for Ristic and Zeus. Just picking up scraps for double doubles.

He just needs to stop dribbling in traffic, putting the ball on the floor, and bringing the ball down low when trying to get some spring. Hard to correct as a 5th year senior, but something if he thinks about more he can deal with when trying to rush things.

Needs to get mad on defense. If he wants to play basketball after his UA career is over they still demand defense, especially in Europe.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Needs to get mad on defense. If he wants to play basketball after his UA career is over they still demand defense, especially in Europe.
This.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:Agree, I don't see too many plays called for him like you see for Ristic and Zeus. Just picking up scraps for double doubles.

He just needs to stop dribbling in traffic, putting the ball on the floor, and bringing the ball down low when trying to get some spring. Hard to correct as a 5th year senior, but something if he thinks about more he can deal with when trying to rush things.

All of this. He has weaknesses. No question.

But he is an uncanny offensive rebounder. Would he have fewer shots blocked and balls stripped if he didn't get the rebound? Sure. But what good is that?

Ashley was more athletic, but it didn't translate into the production RA is delivering. Ashley was a better defender, but also struggled against quicker, smaller guys.

RA was horrible against USC. But that wasn't a typical game. If it becomes one, I'm sure folks will change their opinions.

P.S. At this point, Alford is an all-conference performer. Clutch. No fear. He's just not going to get credit here, because he's a Bruin and one of those easy-to-hate guys.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Ashley was softer and tended to shy away from contact. Don't think BA hanging out on the perimeter would have made a difference.

BA averaged between 5.2 and 5.8 RPG while at Arizona which is actually better than I thought.

But you really can't compare a stretch 4 to a power 4.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Another thing to keep in mind between RA and BA: Ryan is CONSISTENT. It is an anomaly if he does not get a double double or falls just short. How many times in a season were we wondering where the heck Ashley was that game?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:Another thing to keep in mind between RA and BA: Ryan is CONSISTENT. It is an anomaly if he does not get a double double or falls just short. How many times in a season were we wondering where the heck Ashley was that game?
He has 8+ rebounds in 13 of 16 games. Being able to count on him for that is a big deal.

Look, part of it is that no one is going to look as good when they aren't surrounded by TJ, RHJ and SJ/AG. As I've posted in other threads, a big part of the issue is that we've lost a ton of really talented defenders. One of the guys we were counting on to step up in replacing them blew an ACL. Another is raw and a year away from really achieving things (although we'll see a lot more Simon with Trier gone). Gabe, Tollefsen, Trier, Allen and PJC just are not as big, physical, athletic and good as their predecessors.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Lando05 wrote:I hope he proves me wrong and is the player you all see. I see him like I saw Lyons and Momo, same type of attitude and type of players. Me first players who think they are better than they are, don't play within themselves. If they could learn to play within themselves then they could maximize their talent. Low basketball IQ for the 3 of them. Doesn't mean they aren't talented or good, I just think we would be better off with Ashley this year and have a higher ceiling. I hope I'm wrong and he's as good as you all say and we win the Pac 12 and get a 3 seed. As for what I have seen from him this year, especially recently with his defensive effort just not a fan of his game. I have no problem with his rebounding, great rebounder. But as far as he is as a defender and as on offense threat, those are 2 areas where he hurts us.

As and aside, it's funny how some of you use stats to justify how good a player is i.e. Anderson, yet Alford who puts up good numbers too, isn't as good, some call him selfish and that he takes bad shots and is a douche according to the consensus of Wildcats fans. Yet he puts up good numbers, so stats tell the whole story of a player don't they? I would argue there's more to evaluating a player than "stats".

And to Gumby the double doubles help, but I think he stunts the offensive flow and potential. In the USC game at the end of regulation and in overtimes we looked better on offense and defense with Tolly at the 4. That concerns me, The spacing was better, the defensive effort was better. If Anderson plays more like he did against Providence against the rest of the pac 12 I will eat crow and happily admit my take was off base, but until then I'm still skeptical of his play.
Uh, yeah. Have you seen Alford's efficiency stats? He's a chucker. To compare Ryan Anderson and Bryce Alford statistically is a joke, but we can do it in the name of eduction:

Alford on top Anderson below (WS/40, PER, ORtg, DRtg)
.139, 18, 117, 110
.234, 25, 122, 91

Pac-12 Rank for each statistic?
Alford on top Anderson below (WS/40, PER, ORtg, DRtg)
NR, NR, 18, NR
6, 8, 9, 4

Win Shares per 40 mins measures the player's contribution to the team's wins normalized to 40 minutes of playing time per game. Anderson is significantly higher.
Player Efficiency Rating measures overall effectiveness per minute. Oh, look, Anderson is higher. 115 is defined as average.
Offensive Rating is the number of points a player produces per 100 possessions. 122 is very, very good. 117 is also good.
Defensive Rating is the number of points a player allows per 100 possessions. 91 is very, very good. 110 is very bad.

You can look across the efficiency-based statistics, and Ryan Anderson is in the top 10 in the PAC for each and every one. Well maybe not for asst%, but you get the picture. His rebound % is #2 in the league.

I don't know, Lando. I still think your eye test is failing. Badly. Because you're whiffing on Anderson, and you whiffed on the Alford topic as well.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Paging Lando05, please pick up the white courtesy phone...
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion