Upcoming Road Trips: @ASSU, @UCLA, @USC

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Upcoming Road Trips: @ASSU, @UCLA, @USC

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Surprised there isn't a thread on this already, so I'll start one. I think all 3 of these games are going to be really tough and will be estatic if we come through unscathed!

1. @ASSU - We MUST beat those losers in Tempe especially since they've turned their program around and have serious momentum.....led by Duke's Bobby Hurley (didn't think I could hate them more till that happened!).....I'm still pissed we gave them a win there the last 2 years.....embarrassing! Thoughts?

2. @UCLA - Another game that will be tough and we must win to keep our LA recruiting presence strong.....and because it's our biggest rival IMO. Who wants to bet Bryce Alford will go off on us from 3 in that one? They are going to want this game badly after last year.

3. @USC - The Trojans are going to surprise some teams this year and if we win @ASSU & UCLA, this one could easily be a letdown for us.

Wow, the Pac12 is tough this year.....would love to hear your thoughts/concerns/predictions on the outcome....I'm too much of a 'Homer' not to predict 3-0, BUT honestly, 2-1 wouldn't surprise me.

Bearing Down in Buddha-Land ;-). Peace!
carolinacat

Re: Upcoming Road Trips: @ASSU, @UCLA, @USC

Post by carolinacat »

I think we take care of business against ASU. It's a matchup nightmare for them because of our skilled bigs. Jacobson is gonna be in foul trouble from the get-go assuming we go right inside from the very beginning.

Holder shot the ball extremely well vs. Bakersfield, which means he's due to return to the mean against us and not hit anything. Overall, they have a lot of players who shoot from distance. But our size inside should limit their ability to get as many open looks. Our depth should be a factor as well, even without Pitts playing. The Allen-Holder matchup should be fun to watch and will also gauge how well our point guards are against the Pac. This is a game we should certainly win but it won't be easy. FT's will be big and unless ASU shoots the ball from distance out of their minds (like they have in past meetings in Tempe) then we should start the Pac with a "W".

UCLA matchup should be fun. Welsh has been a pleasant surprise for them (much like Ristic for us). The matchup to watch is Parker vs. Anderson. The refs are gonna play a big role in deciding this one and I venture to guess that the team that loses is gonna be complaining about the whistles. We'll need to be at our best to get a win at Pauley. If we shoot it well against their zone (you know they're gonna have to play zone because Alford can't guard 1 on 1), then we can steal a very important road win.

USC troubles me because it's the last game of the road trip. They're a talented bunch and will no doubt be pumped to play us at their place. I think this is the type of game where we could really use Ray Smith's talents and skills. I think USC has the advantage in the backcourt. I never know how our guards are going to play....sometimes they disappear and have trouble generating offense. This game is a toss-up. If we're coming off a loss to UCLA, it will be interesting to see how strong we focus mentally. I think Miller will be ok with a loss (or even 2) on this 3-game road stretch as long as his team is playing the way they should. We could play well and still lose. I don't think that's possible in all 3 games. 1-2 on the trip isn't a disaster. 0-3 is. My guess is we "Arizona" our way to at least 2-1.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The Pac is deep and dangerous this year. UCLA is the only team with a talent level to match us if we come ready. That said, have an off game and every one of those teams can win it. ASU has played out of their minds against us at home lately. UCLA is streaky but good when they execute. SC is a sleeper that can't be overlooked.

It is a challenging start, which is good for this team. The gimmes are over.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The only teams I don't see us possibly losing to are WSU and Stanford. Everyone else can beat us on any given night. I can see 5 different teams potentially winning the league this year and as many as 7-8 being good enough to go to the tournament.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I can't believe that I am typing this, but I would be happy with 2-1. Those are 3 tough games away from McKale and I almost expect one loss. I can't fathom 3 straight losses. When did this last happen?
This team has Arizona on their jersey and in their hearts.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

I'm fine with 2-1. Hold serve at home and go 4-5/5-4 on the road and we win the conference. I'd rather the two wins were over Asu and UCLA though

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I just need to see the process continue. If 2 of the 3 opponents go crazy and beat us, but we still progress and get stronger for March, fine.

It is about where we wind up this year. The Pac is strong, so it may not be all on us to determine our fate this year.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I agree with Hater, this year is like the football season with 10 bowl teams. The PAC has as good a resume in the OOC schedule as any league and their appears to be no less then 6-8 potential tourney teams:

AZ
Cal
UCLA
Utah
Oregon
ASSU
UDub
Oregon St

Even Wazzu, CU, USC and Furd can beat you on there home court and are not playing poorly. I am hoping to get 2 wins out of these first 3 roadies. I think this first one is really important as I hope we set the right tone in the Miller vs Hurley legacy
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

CU and USC are both better teams than UDub and OSU imo. Both have a chance to make the tourney
dirtbags

Post by dirtbags »

ASUHATER! wrote:I'm fine with 2-1. Hold serve at home and go 4-5/5-4 on the road and we win the conference. I'd rather the two wins were over Asu and UCLA though
same. january will be a big learning & development month for the team, running the gauntlet through the california schools -- especially since our guys only have one true road game under their belt thus far. will gladly take the away losses if it helps our players learn to play a complete game and win outside the cozy confines of mckale, and more importantly, in march.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ASUHATER! wrote:The only teams I don't see us possibly losing to are WSU and Stanford. Everyone else can beat us on any given night. I can see 5 different teams potentially winning the league this year and as many as 7-8 being good enough to go to the tournament.
Pascoe was just saying the same thing:

http://tucson.com/sports/blogs/pascoe/a ... &id=201408" target="_blank

Lots of predictable talk on the teleconference about the Pac-12’s nonconference success and the depth it appears to have.

“I’ve talked to some guys out east and they feel from top to bottom, it’s the strongest league in the country,” Utah’s Larry Krystkowiak said. “A lot of people have been taking care of business and we’ve been real competitive with a lot of top programs in the country.”

Miller said whoever finishes at the bottom will be one of the best last-place teams the Pac-12 has had in years, while WSU’s Ernie Kent said any team can beat any other.

“It hasn’t been like this in a long time,” Kent said. “Game in and game out, it’s going to be competitive. There’s not going to be a game where you can just walk on the floor sand say ‘we’ve got this game.’ “
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

@ASU (win)
@UCLA (loss)
@USC (win)

Would really help if we got some surprise news that Zeus will be back for these games. Can't see us winning all three without him.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Zeus just started practicing today. CSM said that he will be taking it slowly for the next couple weeks to see if he gets any pain, so doubt we will see him soon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Zeus just started practicing today. CSM said that he will be taking it slowly for the next couple weeks to see if he gets any pain, so doubt we will see him soon.
We need him full strength in March. Until then, whatever's best works.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Earliest we probably see Zeus is uw on the 14th. Even then in probably 15 minutes or less of fame time.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Well, then we shouldn't be surprised by some losses in the next couple weeks. Road wins in the Pac will be tough to come by this year.
Bangkok Wildcat

Thanks guys.....good stuff on these games.....Dear Lord, we must whip ASSU though....that is a MUST win IMHO.....I can't stomach yet another letdown in that dump!

Bear Down!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Thanks guys.....good stuff on these games.....Dear Lord, we must whip ASSU though....that is a MUST win IMHO.....I can't stomach yet another letdown in that dump!

Bear Down!
Seriously. lose there and it would be losses in 4/5 games in Tempe. A loss there would mean we're only 3-6 in Tempe since Lute left.

cpt

Post by cpt »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I I can't fathom 3 straight losses.
I can fathom it. If I had to bet, I think we start 0-3. ASU is better than the last two years and we aren't as good as the last two - and we know what happened in Tempe the last two years. UCLA is back and they want revenge for the Pac-12 Championship. I think they get it. USC is good. Really good. They just dismantled a Wazzu team in Pullman. This is a really tough schedule to start with...Really hope I'm wrong.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

My feel is
ASU---W, UCLA---W, USC----L. I've been at every Cats/USC game forever and I don't think I can take another loss there, but. Ultimate pain is their band playing that F--ing song over and over and over and. Fans standing and jab-point, point, point, point.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

One down, two to go.

cpt

Post by cpt »

cpt wrote:
I can fathom it. If I had to bet, I think we start 0-3. ASU is better than the last two years and we aren't as good as the last two - and we know what happened in Tempe the last two years. UCLA is back and they want revenge for the Pac-12 Championship. I think they get it. USC is good. Really good. They just dismantled a Wazzu team in Pullman. This is a really tough schedule to start with...Really hope I'm wrong.
Glad to be wrong!!!
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Gonna be a fun season
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Huge to get that first win in this three game roadie
Bangkok Wildcat

Nice waking up to Hurley's ejection on the ESPN homepage! Great win Cats.....now onto LA!

Bear Down.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Tempe down, LA to go. #beardown
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

cpt wrote:
Thanks for that reverse psychology. It worked.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Too bad I wasn't a little closer, be great to buy this seat so close to the UA bench.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

So you're going, Merk?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This guy predicts a UCLA win:

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketba ... off-kansas" target="_blank
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:So you're going, Merk?
If I lived in the LA area I would. I live about 3 hours north and am working Friday.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
If I lived in the LA area I would. I live about 3 hours north and am working Friday.
Bummer. We're gonna try to go. We're in the South Bay, only an hour or so from Pauley. Will be working on tickets today.

My concern, though, is that we've lost the last four games I've attended! Maybe better to stay away ;)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

These games are getting close. Anyone wanna do a scouting report on UCLA or SC? Predictions for the games?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:These games are getting close. Anyone wanna do a scouting report on UCLA or SC? Predictions for the games?
Both are dangerous games for different reasons.

UCLA has more talent but has been unpredictable. I would expect they come to play against us. Parker and Welsh are the best non-Arizona big man combo in the Pac.

SC is light years better than they have been. They have a lot of shooters, and if they can get on a streak, we could have trouble. This is more likely to be a trap game, especially if we beat the Bruins and show up 2-0.

We can win both games, but neither one is a game we should feel comfortable about. It is probable that this is the hardest 3 game stretch we will see pre-tourney.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Still don't get the big brouhaha over USC.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Still don't get the big brouhaha over USC.
They are good this year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:These games are getting close. Anyone wanna do a scouting report on UCLA or SC? Predictions for the games?
Both are dangerous games for different reasons.

UCLA has more talent but has been unpredictable. I would expect they come to play against us. Parker and Welsh are the best non-Arizona big man combo in the Pac.

SC is light years better than they have been. They have a lot of shooters, and if they can get on a streak, we could have trouble. This is more likely to be a trap game, especially if we beat the Bruins and show up 2-0.

We can win both games, but neither one is a game we should feel comfortable about. It is probable that this is the hardest 3 game stretch we will see pre-tourney.
Good breakdown, SS.

I'm hoping that RA can be more active on offense this weekend. He only took 5 shots in 30 mins vs. ASU. Would like to see him draw some fouls from Welsh and Parker.

We're good enough to go 2-0 this week, but we're talking about winning on the road against two probable tournament teams -- not easy.

We have better depth than UCLA and can come at them in waves, especially if Simon and Comanche are getting in there. But in the end, we need our guards to play smart D vs. UCLA's shooters. Bryce and Holiday and Hamilton will launch it from 3 all day, and they'll hit a lot of them. Welsh is a dangerous shooter from 15 feet in. And Parker is very active around the rim. We'll see which UCLA team shows up.

Haven't watched SC yet this year so not sure what to expect.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:
#Merkinnotarealfan
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

Merkin wrote:
No excuses. You're either committed to the program or you're out. :D
gumby

Post by gumby »

Merkin wrote:
I hear all Bruin fans are three hours away. Even those in town.

SC has an athletic point guard in Jacobs, which allows McLaughlin to think more about scoring. They can score from all five positions. Anderson and Tolly will have to follow Boatright out to the perimeter. Should be a hectic pace. Hoping for the second-half wear down. Jacobs sprained ankle against Wazzu. If he's not 100 percent, that's huge.

Trap game? Hope the team isn't that misinformed or cocky.

UCLA can also score from all five positions, but they've been pretty indifferent defensively. I expect to see a lot of zone.

Here's to two good program victories. :D
Right where I want to be.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

gumby wrote:
Merkin wrote:
I hear all Bruin fans are three hours away. Even those in town.

SC has an athletic point guard in Jacobs, which allows McLaughlin to think more about scoring. They can score from all five positions. Anderson and Tolly will have to follow Boatright out to the perimeter. Should be a hectic pace. Hoping for the second-half wear down. Jacobs sprained ankle against Wazzu. If he's not 100 percent, that's huge.

Trap game? Hope the team isn't that misinformed or cocky.

UCLA can also score from all five positions, but they've been pretty indifferent defensively. I expect to see a lot of zone.

Here's to two good program victories. :D
If we go 2-0 this week, we're going to pass UVA in the polls and really just be in great position for another Pac title run.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Nm
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Is Jacobs projected to be 100% ready to play on Saturday?
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

UCLA. A decent team this year, but inconsistent.

Two pluses. After a few inexplicable losses(notably Washington last week) the Bruins should be on an emotional high to save their season to this point by whacking a special rival team with a rating. Second, they play well at home with only two losses in the last two years(Monmouth this season, Gonzaga last.).

The negative. They match up poorly with us.

Their front line. Many experts would take Parker, Welsh and Bolden over Zeus, Ristic and Anderson. Forget it. Our front line will rule, and I didn't mention Tollefson. Parker is slow, can't jump, is lazy and foul prone. If Zeus can safely bring on some gnarls, he'll own Parker. Both Welsh and Bolden are slow of feet and hands and Ristic and Anderson should handle them easily. Welsh boards pretty well, but shouldn't be difficult to block out. None of the three gets back with speed. When Zeus is pineing it, both Ristic and Comanche have the body substance to play Parker.

Their backcourt. Alford, Hamilton and Holiday are good athletes and shoot well. Holiday is particularly dangerous from behind the line.

The problems. None of the three can run with Welsh, Trier or York. Best of all, none of them defends well.

Obviously Cats/ Bruins are an "anything can happen" type matchup because of our rivalry history. That said, this feels like a clear Cat win if we can shoot the ball at all. Expect to see some Zone from the Bruins.

USC. Wow, impressive team at this point. Two good classes of athletes and they seem to have it down already. I expected them to need mid-Conference to get there. They shoot, run, and are improving their D. Their backcourt is particularly impressive and will outrun us.

In their place I see a close game and wouldn't be surprised with a Cat loss. Will be a great test for us and I can't wait.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

EOCT wrote:UCLA. A decent team this year, but inconsistent.

Two pluses. After a few inexplicable losses(notably Washington last week) the Bruins should be on an emotional high to save their season to this point by whacking a special rival team with a rating. Second, they play well at home with only two losses in the last two years(Monmouth this season, Gonzaga last.).

Their front line. Many experts would take Parker, Welsh and Bolden over Zeus, Ristic and Anderson. Forget it. Our front line will rule, and I didn't mention Tollefson. Parker is slow, can't jump, is lazy and foul prone. If Zeus can safely bring on some gnarls, he'll own Parker. Both Welsh and Bolden are slow of feet and hands and Ristic and Anderson should handle them easily. Welsh boards pretty well, but shouldn't be difficult to block out. None of the three gets back with speed. When Zeus is pineing it, both Ristic and Comanche have the body substance to play Parker.

Their backcourt. Alford, Hamilton and Holiday are good athletes and shoot well. Holiday is particularly dangerous from behind the line.

The problems. None of the three can run with Welsh, Trier or York. Best of all, none of them defends well.

Obviously Cats/ Bruins are an "anything can happen" type matchup because of our rivalry history. That said, this feels like a clear Cat win if we can shoot the ball at all. Expect to see some Zone from the Bruins.

USC. Wow, impressive team at this point. Two good classes of athletes and they seem to have it down already. I expected them to need mid-Conference to get there. They shoot, run, and are improving their D. Their backcourt is particularly impressive and will outrun us.

In their place I see a close game and wouldn't be surprised with a Cat loss. Will be a great test for us and I can't wait.
Don't get this at all, because they aren't. They're improved, but reading this board you'd think USC is undefeated and stocked with 8 future NBA players

KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

According to KenPom USC will be the best, and the only top 25, team that we will play this entire season,
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

DiehardDave37 wrote:Is Jacobs projected to be 100% ready to play on Saturday?
Dave, I heard Jon Rothstein tweeted Jacobs is day-to-day and that x-rays were negative.

My guess is they hold him out tomorrow and save him for us. I hope he's ready. I want to see Allen, Trier and York match with Jacobs and McLaughlin!

Agree, KK!
Last edited by EOCT on Thu Jan 07, 2016 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
carolinacat

Post by carolinacat »

After a great performance shooting from distance against ASU (7-12 overall, York 4-7), our outside shooting and ball movement will be important. I expect UCLA to throw plenty of zone at us (they can't match our depth inside and will need to protect their bigs).

My biggest worries are turnovers as our guards probe the Bruins' zone & our bigs look to create shots in space. If we limit our turnovers to under a dozen and shoot it a decent percentage on the open 3's, we should be able to have our way inside against Parker & Welsh. Oh yeah, and make our FT's.

UCLA shot the ball like crap on their Washington roadie, so naturally they'll be banking in 3's and hitting everything in sight against us.
DiehardDave37

Re: Upcoming Road Trip: @USC

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I just became even more worried about MY :D Trojans (I have 6 off campus credit hours from USC) since learning these stats.

Jacobs, who re-injured his left ankle when he came down with a rebound and landed on another player's foot, is listed as a probable starter by the Trojans but has missed three previous games with soreness in the same ankle. He is one of six Trojans averaging in double figures (12.3) and also leads the Pac-12 in assists (5.3). Junior guard Katin Reinhardt (13.3), sophomore guard Jordan McLaughlin (13.0), junior forward Nikola Jovanovic (12.5), freshman forward Bennie Boatwright (11.9) and sophomore guard Elijah Stewart (10.1) also are averaging in double figures with the 6-11 Jovanovic also pulling down a team best 7.9 rebounds per game.

McLaughlin ranks second in the Pac-12 in assists (5.2) and fourth in 3-point shooting percentage (46.4).

USC has blocked 96 shots, which is tied for second among Division I teams through Monday.

So they have balanced scoring, the top 2 Pac-12 guards in assists, and are 2nd in D-1 nationally in blocked shots.

No worries! ;)
gumby

Post by gumby »

ASUHATER! wrote:
EOCT wrote:UCLA. A decent team this year, but inconsistent.

Don't get this at all, because they aren't. They're improved, but reading this board you'd think USC is undefeated and stocked with 8 future NBA players
Only with Internet exaggeration goggles. What posts gave you this impression?