let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

ChooChooCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: I posted this in the other thread, but I want Randolph and Akot back because I see that wing rotation as the strength of next year's team. Certainly from a scoring perpective, we need points to come from somewhere, and the most likely place is the wing.
Certainly the wing and if Williams continues on this track it certainly looks as if point guard will be a strength for next year's team for the first time in awhile.
We can hope that Barcello gets his feet under him as well. Then we'd have two guards who can really score and a collection of wings that can do the same, with a front court that just needs to hold the line. Not our usual but I'm down.
The less pressure on Barcello, the better. I'd love to see Williams be ready from day 1 because you can easily play them together if Barcello is ready, but it isn't a sure thing he will be.

Frontcourtwise, we need the Shareef/Ira duo to give us a solid 4 and for Jeter to be ready to hold down the 5. That's the area we have the least margin for error right now, IMO.
I'd really like to see us land a capable wing (I've named some options already) and a grad transfer 5 whose strength is offense. Theoretically as YDF mentioned the 1 should be settled, the 2 and 3 should be settled in regards to starters (I'd like to see another option than Smith off the bench though PLEASE), with the 4 a question mark, although with one more capable wing off the bench we can utilize Akot at the 4 as well if the Reef/Lee duo ain't getting it done, and Jeter being a solid option on the boards and defensively. Talent wise we're looking at a Sweet 16 team, with an outside shot at the FF with the right matchups (if tourney ban not in play).
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think that's as close to a realistic wish list as possible. I'd fallen in love with the idea of Quinerly and Williams rotating and playing together, but it looks like that's done.

I agree that it would be nice to have someone other than Smith backing up the wing. If we could have a prospect similar to what Randolph has given us this year, that would be nice.

Post wise, another guy ready to play would really help if Lee/Shareef aren't ready for prime time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I agree that it would be nice to have someone other than Smith backing up the wing. If we could have a prospect similar to what Randolph has given us this year, that would be nice.
Just offer this kid already please, just do it. It's criminal not to at this point.

https://247sports.com/Player/Devonaire- ... e-46042929" target="_blank

If not him then this kid:

https://247sports.com/Player/Tevian-Jones-91014" target="_blank
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Just offer this kid already please, just do it. It's criminal not to at this point.

Choo, who do you like better between them? Is Tevian close to Shareef? I thought i remember reading awhile ago that we were Tevian's favorite team growing up?

Both read like Miller type players even if not 5* immediate talent. long, defend multiple positions.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Choo, who do you like better between them? Is Tevian close to Shareef? I thought i remember reading awhile ago that we were Tevian's favorite team growing up?

Both read like Miller type players even if not 5* immediate talent. long, defend multiple positions.
I believe Tevian and Reef are good friends, but Reef is literally good friends with every body. Tevian is an Arizona kid and has visited us previously I believe and between the two he has the highest overall ceiling, but there's no guarantee he reaches that ceiling. Doutrive is the better player at the moment and I think could pay immediate dividends as a scorer and a third ballhandler along side Williams & Barcello. Quite frankly I'd take either and hell both, but I imagine Arizona only adds one wing player to this class unless they have an inkling of somebody unexpected on the roster considering leaving. Both have high ceilings as defenders, so I agree that they totally fit the Miller profile there.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

They're just using Shareef to get to his dad. I probably would too.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I believe Tevian and Reef are good friends, but Reef is literally good friends with every body. Tevian is an Arizona kid and has visited us previously I believe and between the two he has the highest overall ceiling, but there's no guarantee he reaches that ceiling. Doutrive is the better player at the moment and I think could pay immediate dividends as a scorer and a third ballhandler along side Williams & Barcello. Quite frankly I'd take either and hell both, but I imagine Arizona only adds one wing player to this class unless they have an inkling of somebody unexpected on the roster considering leaving. Both have high ceilings as defenders, so I agree that they totally fit the Miller profile there.
We certainly have plenty of room on the roster and with the '19 possibility of HighSchool to NBA there might not be a huge difference between a sophomore Tevian and a low end 5*. Especially given he is an Arizona kid. Bird in the hand.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We certainly have plenty of room on the roster and with the '19 possibility of HighSchool to NBA there might not be a huge difference between a sophomore Tevian and a low end 5*. Especially given he is an Arizona kid. Bird in the hand.
Good chance Jones grows another inch or two, which makes him capable of manning the 4 as well. Like I said I'd take both, but at this point I'd just be happy for Arizona to offer and land one. Doutrive is the more likely of the two to push Smith to the pine immediately though.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Apparently Arizona watched both Devonaire and Jones today. My wish may come true.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

I for one really like what next years team could look like. A bunch of long, athletic wing players lead by a solid point guard (BW) who is backed up by another potentially solid point guard (AB). I think it could be a really great team to watch that has every reason to buy into a point guard led, defensive based Sean Miller system.

Williams/Barcello
Akot
Randolph
Lee/Shareef
Jeter

That is not a bad line up at all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

luteformayor2 wrote:I for one really like what next years team could look like. A bunch of long, athletic wing players lead by a solid point guard (BW) who is backed up by another potentially solid point guard (AB). I think it could be a really great team to watch that has every reason to buy into a point guard led, defensive based Sean Miller system.

Williams/Barcello
Akot
Randolph
Lee/Shareef
Jeter

Add a wing and an offensive center and I'm in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Yeah. Need some more size that can score. Say what you want about Deuce, but he does put the ball in the basket.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

luteformayor2 wrote:I for one really like what next years team could look like. A bunch of long, athletic wing players lead by a solid point guard (BW) who is backed up by another potentially solid point guard (AB). I think it could be a really great team to watch that has every reason to buy into a point guard led, defensive based Sean Miller system.

Williams/Barcello
Akot
Randolph
Lee/Shareef
Jeter

You left out/forgot Smith. Why is Miller the only one who sees value in Dylan? He just doesn't listen to us at all!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:

Williams/Barcello
Akot
Randolph
Lee/Shareef
Jeter

You left out/forgot Smith. Why is Miller the only one who sees value in Dylan? He just doesn't listen to us at all!
Dylan's ceiling is reserve rotation player, IMO. There's nothing wrong with that for me, at least. I'd be happy getting 10-15 mpg off the bench from a 4th year junior and 5th year senior.

Two years from now, you hope to have a core of 5th year senior Jeter, 5th year senior Smith, junior Lee and junior Barcello. I'm not sure any of those guys are stars, but those are some experienced rotation guys that can bring maturity to a team.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If I had to pick a recent comparison to Dylan Smith, it would be Brendon Lavender. Never got more than 16 mpg. Could do some things, but not enough that he was ever destined to be a core guy, especially on a good team.

It's still an asset to have a guy like that, though. I don't mean Smith plays like Lavender, just that I see their career trajectory and role as similar at Arizona.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Apparently Arizona watched both Devonaire and Jones today. My wish may come true.
Keep up the rain dance.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Apparently Arizona watched both Devonaire and Jones today. My wish may come true.
Keep up the rain dance.
Been wearing my moccasins daily.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I have to believe that Miller is not making the move that is obvious to us because he has a graduate transfer or non-American (or both) almost ready to commit.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I have to believe that Miller is not making the move that is obvious to us because he has a graduate transfer or non-American (or both) almost ready to commit.
We've got four scholarships available for 2018, after BWill and Shareef, so Miller isn't really handcuffed.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
DiehardDave37 wrote:I have to believe that Miller is not making the move that is obvious to us because he has a graduate transfer or non-American (or both) almost ready to commit.
We've got four scholarships available for 2018, after BWill and Shareef, so Miller isn't really handcuffed.
Only two after we self-impose for Book, though.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Woof.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Woof.
I'm half serious on that, FWIW. I don't think there are a whole lot of certanties right now, but I do think it is a reasonable strategy not to commit to being able to work with a full scholarship allotment given the Book situation.

I have always felt we have to take some hit over Book, and a scholarship hit is lesser punishment than postseason ineligibilty. Frankly, if I knew we could settle this with 2-3 years of a 2 scholarship hit, I'd jump on it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Woof.
I'm half serious on that, FWIW. I don't think there are a whole lot of certanties right now, but I do think it is a reasonable strategy not to commit to being able to work with a full scholarship allotment given the Book situation.

I have always felt we have to take some hit over Book, and a scholarship hit is lesser punishment than postseason ineligibilty. Frankly, if I knew we could settle this with 2-3 years of a 2 scholarship hit, I'd jump on it.
I think a similar punishment that Miller inherited at Arizona a la lose a single scholarship for 2-3 years is very likely the route we'd take to self punish. I'm unsure of what else would or needs to be done, but I definitely assume we take that course. That of course leaves room to take all 3 of Froling, Devonaire, and Jones. Yay!
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I think we need another traditional post player. I'd take Froling in a heartbeat, but is he really the type of big we need? I want him plus another big.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I'm half serious on self-imposing, FWIW. I don't think there are a whole lot of certanties right now, but I do think it is a reasonable strategy not to commit to being able to work with a full scholarship allotment given the Book situation.

That's fine but Arizona needs to act by self-imposing NOW!

Arizona might say their internal investigation found nothing out of order but acknowledges the illegal behavior which took place with a former assistant needs severe sanction. Such sanction shall commence immediately with the 2018-2019 class and last through three seasons.

As there is a consensus some sanction is coming from Book's behavior, what's the delay?
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Why act now apparently we have no other players in question and book was fired asap. They can't take this year away from us if that's the case. Finish the year then impose something in the off season when all is quiet.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

CatHoops wrote:Why act now apparently we have no other players in question and book was fired asap. They can't take this year away from us if that's the case. Finish the year then impose something in the off season when all is quiet.

As for this year and 'players in question,' well that's the point.

The NCAA will have the final word but we can have the first word. I suggest we convey remorse and ANNOUNCE penalties for the future. It provides a form of local closure that might help with recruiting. There's no harm in trying as surely Book's actions will result in penalty, such as Spaceman Spiff suggested.

We are not taking away a thing (except scholarships).

The NCAA will do what it wants with this matter. But being first to acknowledge the obvious with some sort of serious sanction can't hurt. From my perspective, it takes off weight from the anvil over Arizona's head.

The sooner the better.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Hank of sb wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Why act now apparently we have no other players in question and book was fired asap. They can't take this year away from us if that's the case. Finish the year then impose something in the off season when all is quiet.

The NCAA will have the final word but we can have the first word. I suggest we convey remorse and ANNOUNCE penalties for the future. It provides a form of local closure that might help with recruiting. There's no harm in trying as surely Book's actions will result in penalty, such as Spaceman Spiff suggested.

The NCAA will do what it wants with this matter. But being first to acknowledge the obvious with some sort of serious sanction can't hurt. From my perspective, it takes off weight from the anvil over Arizona's head.

The sooner the better.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Hank just beats that drum. He doesn't know whether our internal investigation is done, but thinks we should impose harsh self-sanctions. Something's coming, but it does zero good to jump the gun.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Main Event wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

The sooner the better.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Hank of sb wrote:

The sooner the better.
For perspective, let's say you were Sean Miller and/or the compliance department head or whatever, just UA as a whole, and you did everything in your power humanly possible to run a clean upstanding program. Crossing your t's and dotting your I's and so on, and book happened. You did the best you could, tried the hardest you could, but you absolutely cannot control the actions of another person. Book got caught via wire tapping. Are you suggesting Sean should do that to his crew? So... Would you want to self sanction? Book was terminated and logically you'd think he's done ever having gainful employment again in that world as nobody would touch him with a 10 foot pole. Apropos considering we're talking about basketball here. Kind of wonder how he will even work anywhere again of any type considering his face is nationally known from his association with UA basketball. Maybe as some type of shady Bookie. Alright bad puns aside, some might say that book was known to be stupid due to the ace thing, well was that the first time? With the mindset of "let the one without sin cast the first stone", and mercy can do wonders for a lot of people. In Books case it didn't and that's a shame. And he's paying for it and gonna pay for it the rest of his life if he loved that world and now is barred from it. Thrown out of paradise in a way. And... The NCAA has a well documented history of being blind guides and vipers straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel. And UA tends to get shafted in that regards. Unlike coughNCcough. Now, your suggestion is only valid if Miller or UA knows something and feels some moral obligation toward their own conscience. Nobody knows much of anything, especially you, so why sanction?
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Hank just beats that drum. He doesn't know whether our internal investigation is done, but thinks we should impose harsh self-sanctions. Something's coming, but it does zero good to jump the gun.
I just posted a long paragraph saying exactly what you said in 3 sentences. Thumbs up.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I don't think we can litigate our way out of sanctions like UNC, so we might as well wait to see how hard the NCAA will come down on us since the pay-for-play and kickback problem isn't isolated. Book's actions and Miller's looking the other way isn't lost on me, but self-imposing a scholarship reduction just seems imprudent. Miller would be gone already if the violations went much deeper. Best to wait and appeal if we are to be the sacrificial lamb.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

DaddyO'Cat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

The sooner the better.
For perspective, let's say you were Sean Miller and/or the compliance department head or whatever, just UA as a whole, and you did everything in your power humanly possible to run a clean upstanding program. Crossing your t's and dotting your I's and so on, and book happened. You did the best you could, tried the hardest you could, but you absolutely cannot control the actions of another person. Book got caught via wire tapping. Are you suggesting Sean should do that to his crew? So... Would you want to self sanction? Book was terminated and logically you'd think he's done ever having gainful employment again in that world as nobody would touch him with a 10 foot pole. Apropos considering we're talking about basketball here. Kind of wonder how he will even work anywhere again of any type considering his face is nationally known from his association with UA basketball. Maybe as some type of shady Bookie. Alright bad puns aside, some might say that book was known to be stupid due to the ace thing, well was that the first time? With the mindset of "let the one without sin cast the first stone", and mercy can do wonders for a lot of people. In Books case it didn't and that's a shame. And he's paying for it and gonna pay for it the rest of his life if he loved that world and now is barred from it. Thrown out of paradise in a way. And... The NCAA has a well documented history of being blind guides and vipers straining out the gnat and swallowing the camel. And UA tends to get shafted in that regards. Unlike coughNCcough. Now, your suggestion is only valid if Miller or UA knows something and feels some moral obligation toward their own conscience. Nobody knows much of anything, especially you, so why sanction?
I hope you are right (that Arizona has run a clean program excepting Book) but I think, even if all you suppose is true, "something's coming."

Book did what he did and Arizona will pay for his sins.

I would venture there is not one Arizona fan that doesn't believe punishment is not on its way. If President Robbins is true to his word, we should have an interim statement soon. (Perhaps a final statement.) It would do no harm to address the Book matter at that time as we all know what Book did.

As Book's crime was grievous, I not only see no harm for serious sanction, I see benefit. Which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

I read your view; I have a differing one.
DaddyO'Cat

Post by DaddyO'Cat »

Hank of sb wrote:
DaddyO'Cat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

The sooner the better.
I hope you are right (that Arizona has run a clean program excepting Book) but I think, even if all you suppose is true, "something's coming."

Book did what he did and Arizona will pay for his sins.

I would venture there is not one Arizona fan that doesn't believe punishment is not on its way. If President Robbins is true to his word, we should have an interim statement soon. (Perhaps a final statement.) It would do no harm to address the Book matter at that time as we all know what Book did.

As Book's crime was grievous, I not only see no harm for serious sanction, I see benefit. Which is why I mentioned it in the first place.

I read your view; I have a differing one.
I wrote a response and when I hit reply, connection was lost. Sucks. Hopefully this time it works. In essence I said I acknowledge your view and that I didn't say I believed they were squeaky clean. I was just asking you to put yourself in his SM or their UA shoes in a hypothetical situation of if they were squeaky clean, would you want to self sanction? I do know that it is incredibly hard to be in this dog eat dog world run by big business with the love of money which is the root of all kinds of evil and all under the control of the one who is blinding the minds of the world. But since "we all know" (I don't but for the sake of conversation here), that punishment is coming. Well we are dealing with the ncaa here, not God who reads hearts and takes mercy into consideration. It's the ncaa and as I said above, nuff said on that. So self flagellation now at this point in time serves no purpose. And as regards the federales and really the justice system as a whole, from what I've seen and learned as they teach on the first day in lawyer class, justice and the law are not the same. So... I guess we can take a deep breath and... I guess wait and see to review our thoughts and feelings as things play out. Thank you for seeing my view.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Book did something wrong. There are about 1,500 words to run through before you get to grievous.

Stupid, selfish, every synonym for those two words for a start.

His crime was getting about $20,000 to maybe provide influence over players and maybe give $15,000 to someone who wanted it, which was well below stated market value. Yeah, it is a shocking violation of our moral fibers when people are paid because they possess exceptional talent in a marketable field, or are paid to be the equivalent of Congressional lobbyists.

That's America. Book may have violated NCAA rules if this was more than talk, and may have violated federal law if it's true. The entire violation of both is built on NCAA rules. If Jahvon Quinerly was German, this exact scenario is basically Dirk Nowitzki's story.

That's why I blocked Hank. I can mock idiots like Rise and Fire, but he has a special level of aggressively being out of touch with reality and a moral compass that only points to Arizona being awful. It's uninformed, premature, holier than thou for no reason, it just checks every box.

Knowing what we know now, we lose a scholarship or two. I don't see a postseason ban without more. Let it play out so we know we have all the facts locked in, then deal accordingly.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

DaddyO'Cat wrote:

I wrote a response and when I hit reply, connection was lost. Sucks. Hopefully this time it works. In essence I said I acknowledge your view and that I didn't say I believed they were squeaky clean. I was just asking you to put yourself in his SM or their UA shoes in a hypothetical situation of if they were squeaky clean, would you want to self sanction? I do know that it is incredibly hard to be in this dog eat dog world run by big business with the love of money which is the root of all kinds of evil and all under the control of the one who is blinding the minds of the world. But since "we all know" (I don't but for the sake of conversation here), that punishment is coming. Well we are dealing with the ncaa here, not God who reads hearts and takes mercy into consideration. It's the ncaa and as I said above, nuff said on that. So self flagellation now at this point in time serves no purpose. And as regards the federales and really the justice system as a whole, from what I've seen and learned as they teach on the first day in lawyer class, justice and the law are not the same. So... I guess we can take a deep breath and... I guess wait and see to review our thoughts and feelings as things play out. Thank you for seeing my view.
And thank you for your response. Any yeah, it sucks when one hits the wrong key. (I usually just go to bed when that happens.)

One last thought. Whatever Sean Miller did or didn't do or know makes little difference, IMO.

UCLA just put the hammer down on three kids who did something dumb. UCLA gave a proactive maximum penalty to kids no less, for the sake of their school.

Arizona needs to do something for our own school and, I might add, by doing so protect the ONLY athletic franchise the school has ever had. And we're discussing, here at Arizona, "dumb" actions coming from adults!

This whole episode has been gross.

It's too bad for Sean Miller. He might be a victim (probably is) but certainly we fans have been equal victims. (I would argue bigger.) Sean Miller at least has a $2.5 million consolation prize. Our consolation is a hollow feeling.

Penalties--big ones-- are, unfortunately, the only way forward. This has zero to do about "self flagellation;" it has everything to do about rectifying what has occurred.

And even then....................
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

We Immediately fired Book. So how is that not acting?
prh

Post by prh »

Every damn thread is infested with hank, machina, and r&f (who else thinks that’s also machina?)

Stop quoting these trolls guys come on
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hank of sb wrote:
DaddyO'Cat wrote:

And thank you for your response. Any yeah, it sucks when one hits the wrong key. (I usually just go to bed when that happens.)

One last thought. Whatever Sean Miller did or didn't do or know makes little difference, IMO.

UCLA just put the hammer down on three kids who did something dumb. UCLA gave a proactive maximum penalty to kids no less, for the sake of their school.

Arizona needs to do something for our own school and, I might add, by doing so protect the ONLY athletic franchise the school has ever had. And we're discussing, here at Arizona, "dumb" actions coming from adults!

This whole episode has been gross.

It's too bad for Sean Miller. He might be a victim (probably is) but certainly we fans have been equal victims. (I would argue bigger.) Sean Miller at least has a $2.5 million consolation prize. Our consolation is a hollow feeling.

Penalties--big ones-- are, unfortunately, the only way forward. This has zero to do about "self flagellation;" it has everything to do about rectifying what has occurred.

And even then....................
Are you familiar with the phrase, "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face?" Or how about, "throwing out the baby with the bathwater?"
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:Every damn thread is infested with hank, machina, and r&f (who else thinks that’s also machina?)

Spiff this one is on you my man :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:Every damn thread is infested with hank, machina, and r&f (who else thinks that’s also machina?)

Spiff this one is on you my man :lol:
Hey. Rise and Fire's on me. I have Hank on ignore, so this is only semi-on me.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Taeshon Cherry taking visits to ASU & Texas A&M. I wonder what those two schools have in common? Maybe we should ask TJ Leaf's dad about that.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry taking visits to ASU & Texas A&M. I wonder what those two schools have in common? Maybe we should ask TJ Leaf's dad about that.
Amazing. ASU is having 15 minutes of fame and they get a kid of this caliber suddenly making a visit? It isn't like IL loaded up on recruiting talent after their nearly undefeated season in '05.

Just goes back to this horrendous Book Richardson debacle -- normally no one would care, but this Wildcat recruiting year has taken a major hit and it would be a blow to lose a kid to ASU of all places, not because it is suddenly overly desirable and a superior destination, but in part, because of the Book mishap.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

midnightx wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Taeshon Cherry taking visits to ASU & Texas A&M. I wonder what those two schools have in common? Maybe we should ask TJ Leaf's dad about that.
Amazing. ASU is having 15 minutes of fame and they get a kid of this caliber suddenly making a visit? It isn't like IL loaded up on recruiting talent after their nearly undefeated season in '05.

Just goes back to this horrendous Book Richardson debacle -- normally no one would care, but this Wildcat recruiting year has taken a major hit and it would be a blow to lose a kid to ASU of all places, not because it is suddenly overly desirable and a superior destination, but in part, because of the Book mishap.
ASU's on court performance isn't why that visit is happening.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

asu is the only adidas west coast school, I expect them to land talent because of that
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Is Taeshon “$150k handed by a shoe runner to a family advisor/AAU coach” good?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Wait, I thought the FBI and the NCAA were going to clean up all this shoe company shit?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Hank of sb wrote:

The sooner the better.
Hank:

I completely agree that we need to get the FBI mess behind us the sooner the better. I do believe, however, that we need to approach self sanctions very carefully, or they could backfire on us. Here is my personal road map for dealing with this mess:

1) Complete the internal investigation ASAP

2) If the investigation shows that AZ is innocent forward the results to the NCAA ASAP and meet with them. Offer to
fund the cost of the NCAA's investigation in order to expedite it. Offer up Miller for a polygraph test

3) If the investigation finds that we are guilty then we should also forward the results to the NCAA. Meet with the NCAA in
person and offer to fund the NCAA's investigation in order to expedite it. Discuss what sanctions are appropriate. If giving
up the NCAA tourney for 18 will satisfy them we should jump on it. I do NOT think we should self sanction without consultation
with the NCAA. We could take a nasty self inflicted hit only to have the NCAA impose more sanctions at a later date.

Bottom line......we are better off taking sanctions sooner rather than later. If we don't we are going to be spending the next 2 or 3 seasons waiting to see if some skinny 3 star prospect is willing to take the risk of signing with us (be honest folks its already happening) while the scum up the road takes recruits we used to get (Cherry). I realize this plan isn't popular with the Instant Gratification message board crowd but its best for the UA in the long run. We NEED to get this behind us ASAP.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

No Arizona is not going to do that..