let's talk '18

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: let's talk '18

Post by NYCat »

Grad transfer name tracker Arizona has talked to.

Ryan Luther (Pitt)
Ryan Taylor (Evansville)
Joseph Chartouny (Fordham)
Trey Porter (Old Dominion)
Joe Cremo (Albany)
Aaron Calixte (Maine)
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's Grad-transfer-palooza.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Good since we probably need 2-3 of them to field a team next season.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote: Grad transfer name tracker Arizona has talked to.

Ryan Luther (Pitt)
Ryan Taylor (Evansville)
Joe Cremo (Albany)
Aaron Calixte (Maine)
And I don't feel really confident in landing any of these guys. Probably best shot with Luther, but I could EASILY see Bagman Capel "coaxing" him into coming back to Pitt. I don't think Calixte is a serious option and if he is then we're uber fucked.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

az91 wrote:Brandon Williams is on an unofficial visit to ASU. Can 2018 recruiting get any more bleak?
It can and almost certainly will. One things for sure in my mind; Brandon Williams isn't coming anywhere near Arizona and who can blame him. With multiple offers from better programs such as Oregon, Gonzaga, and now Kentucky BW has swiped Arizona left and isn't looking back. Wake up people, the program is in trouble. Just fielding a team next year will be hard enough. And the FBI investigation will drag on and on followed by whatever the NCAA decides to do to us. You add that up and it's probably minimum 5 to 6 years and a new coach just to get Arizona basketball out of the basement. I don't mean to sound harsh but let's be realistic about this and quit pretending a grad transfer here and there and a landing five star talent is even possible at this point with all the uncertainty hovering over the program.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
az91 wrote:Brandon Williams is on an unofficial visit to ASU. Can 2018 recruiting get any more bleak?
It can and almost certainly will. One things for sure in my mind; Brandon Williams isn't coming anywhere near Arizona and who can blame him. With multiple offers from better programs such as Oregon, Gonzaga, and now Kentucky BW has swiped Arizona left and isn't looking back. Wake up people, the program is in trouble. Just fielding a team next year will be hard enough. And the FBI investigation will drag on and on followed by whatever the NCAA decides to do to us. You add that up and it's probably minimum 5 to 6 years and a new coach just to get Arizona basketball out of the basement. I don't mean to sound harsh but let's be realistic about this and quit pretending a grad transfer here and there and a landing five star talent is even possible at this point with all the uncertainty hovering over the program.
I had a great sarcastic reply to this post all written up about how it was impossible for anyone on this board to know this without you posting your astute observations, but then I saw what your name is and all I can do is tip my cap sir. Well played.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Captain Obvious wrote:
Unfortunately this is how I feel and all my friends feel as well. Feels like we have entered purgatory

Hopefully we are wrong and Miller finds a way to bring in talent this off season...odds are not in that favor though
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Ryan Luther (Pitt)
Ryan Taylor (Evansville)
Joe Cremo (Albany)
Aaron Calixte (Maine)
And I don't feel really confident in landing any of these guys. Probably best shot with Luther, but I could EASILY see Bagman Capel "coaxing" him into coming back to Pitt. I don't think Calixte is a serious option and if he is then we're uber fucked.
With Calixte, the part you never know is the part I care most about, D and team D.

When I think of how we could be ok next year, I always start with team D not being a disaster like this year. If Lee, Akot and Randolph get it, we could actually be a pretty good defensive team. PJC wasn't some defensive juggernaut, so a decent defender could complement an overall improvement in team D, which I see as our way forward.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Losing Ristic, Trier, and PJC the D can only get better.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

CatHoops wrote:Losing Ristic, Trier, and PJC the D can only get better.
Until you realize that when the backups came it wasn't any better. Those backups are now our starters...

Sure the potential is there for some of the guys to be good defensively, but there will need to be a lot of improvement.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

4-5 star recruits we have 6 returning. Should all take a nice step forward.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Losing Ristic, Trier, and PJC the D can only get better.
Until you realize that when the backups came it wasn't any better. Those backups are now our starters...

Sure the potential is there for some of the guys to be good defensively, but there will need to be a lot of improvement.
Well, at least there's potential. With Ristic, Trier and PJC, it was set in stone. Jeter and Randolph/Akot have a lot more potential than Ristic and Trier. We'll see how it comes together.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

No word on assistants yet? Wish something would happen
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

James Akinjo's recruitment has taken off since he was released from his UConn NLI two weeks ago.

Last week, Akinjo hosted head coaches from UNLV, California, Tennessee and Georgetown for in-home visits. The offers haven’t stopped either as Wichita State, Gonzaga, Arizona, Florida State and Baylor are just a few that have come in recently.

Patrick Ewing was the first head coach to see Akinjo after his release and the Hoyas look to be well-positioned but Arizona looks to be the team to beat. The Wildcats only have six scholarship players returning to next year's squad, and the idea of 25-plus minutes per game as a freshman could be very enticing to Akinjo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:
James Akinjo's recruitment has taken off since he was released from his UConn NLI two weeks ago.

Last week, Akinjo hosted head coaches from UNLV, California, Tennessee and Georgetown for in-home visits. The offers haven’t stopped either as Wichita State, Gonzaga, Arizona, Florida State and Baylor are just a few that have come in recently.

Patrick Ewing was the first head coach to see Akinjo after his release and the Hoyas look to be well-positioned but Arizona looks to be the team to beat. The Wildcats only have six scholarship players returning to next year's squad, and the idea of 25-plus minutes per game as a freshman could be very enticing to Akinjo.
This pretty much insinuates that the belief among "recruiting expert circles" is that Brandon Williams will end up at some place not named Arizona.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'll take Akinjo gladly if it means the whole program can move on from the Brandon Williams soap opera.

Not sure where the kid's head is at, but let him play for Oregon or ASU if he wants. See how far that gets him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
NYCat wrote:

This pretty much insinuates that the belief among "recruiting expert circles" is that Brandon Williams will end up at some place not named Arizona.
We could take Akinjo and Williams both with time for both. I agree that 25+ is less likely with Williams, but Barcello won't eat up a ton of time. Right now, we need a perimeter guy to step forward before things get too clogged.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Fwiw if Arizona were to land Brandon Williams then Arizona would not need a grad transfer PG. If Arizona were to land Akinjo it would still need a grad transfer PG. The best of Akinjo will come in years 3-4.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

So u think when beewill ends his tour we might get some guys to sign?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:Fwiw if Arizona were to land Brandon Williams then Arizona would not need a grad transfer PG. If Arizona were to land Akinjo it would still need a grad transfer PG. The best of Akinjo will come in years 3-4.
That's basically how I see it too. I think we can reasonably accomodate 2 pg's if one is Akinjo because he's more the developmental type. If he comes, we still need to settle who starts in '18 at pg.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

CatHoops wrote:So u think when beewill ends his tour we might get some guys to sign?
Again, why wait? Brandon Williams clearly wants the whole courtship process now, and if he doesn't choose Arizona, Miller is left high and dry.

Go all-in on a grad transfer for next season, then the best non-commit PG for '19. End this dalliance with those who still want to play the field this late in the process.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatHoops wrote:So u think when beewill ends his tour we might get some guys to sign?
Arizona isn't in the position to tell anybody remotely talented no. We're not slow playing Akinjo for Williams. Every recruit is going at their own pace here.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Again, why wait? Brandon Williams clearly wants the whole courtship process now, and if he doesn't choose Arizona, Miller is left high and dry.

Go all-in on a grad transfer for next season, then the best non-commit PG for '19. End this dalliance with those who still want to play the field this late in the process.
Totally agree

At this point we need to take the sure thing since we only have 6 scholarship guys

Land the first couple selling up playing time. BWill is going to take his sweet time. Just don't see how you can wait right now
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

If you're a grad transfer come on down!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Totally agree

At this point we need to take the sure thing since we only have 6 scholarship guys

Land the first couple selling up playing time. BWill is going to take his sweet time. Just don't see how you can wait right now
Arizona isn't waiting.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Totally agree

Arizona isn't waiting.
Very glad they are not
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:If you're a grad transfer come on down!
It is Pool party season!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:

Totally agree

Arizona isn't waiting.
The dominoes will fall soon and in quick succession.

NLI signing date is 4/11.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I would throw Akinjo and Barcello into the fire and let them learn on the job tbh

It will hopefully pay off in years 3-4
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Akinjo is visiting next week so hopefully he can't leave until he signs
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatHoops wrote:Akinjo is visiting next week so hopefully he can't leave until he signs
Is it next week?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

My order of priority:

1 Williams (1a. Cremo if no Williams, or first to committ)
2. Luther (need more big bodies!)
3. Doutrive
4. Akinjo
5. Taylor

Caveat: If Tevian Jones or Cassius Stanley become options they would be 3b. If we dont get Williams, Akinjo becomes more of a priority.

Truth is we have room for at least 4 of those top 6 w/o blinking. I am hesitant to bring Taylor in as I want to see Akot and Randolph get those minutes. I think they could be just as good by Late January.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

baycat93 wrote:My order of priority:

1 Williams (1a. Cremo if no Williams, or first to committ)
2. Luther (need more big bodies!)
3. Doutrive
4. Akinjo
5. Taylor

Caveat: If Tevian Jones or Cassius Stanley become options they would be 3b. If we dont get Williams, Akinjo becomes more of a priority.

Truth is we have room for at least 4 of those top 6 w/o blinking. I am hesitant to bring Taylor in as I want to see Akot and Randolph get those minutes. I think they could be just as good by Late January.
Tevian Jones committed to Illinois today.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Doutrive and akinjo are cats next year imo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatHoops wrote:Doutrive and akinjo are cats next year imo.
I believe this is where we're headed. It's just a matter of who else comes in to fill the holes in the post and at starting point guard (unless Miller just decides to hand the keys over to Akinjo & Barcello).
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
CatHoops wrote:Doutrive and akinjo are cats next year imo.
I believe this is where we're headed. It's just a matter of who else comes in to fill the holes in the post and at starting point guard (unless Miller just decides to hand the keys over to Akinjo & Barcello).
Two good players. If no Williams or Cremo... would probably need to prioritize Taylor more for scoring, even though I really want to see Randolph and Akot get all the time they can handle early.

Choo.. any comment on who you think (assistants) will be coaching these kids?
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

catgrad97 wrote:I'll take Akinjo gladly if it means the whole program can move on from the Brandon Williams soap opera.

Not sure where the kid's head is at, but let him play for Oregon or ASU if he wants. See how far that gets him.
Just a salty, selfish take here. You really blame the kid? Oregon would be a great place for him. Do I want that? Of course not. But to be bitter about this kid is unfair to him and the fact that it is the smart decision for him NOT to come here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:I'll take Akinjo gladly if it means the whole program can move on from the Brandon Williams soap opera.

Just a salty, selfish take here. You really blame the kid? Oregon would be a great place for him. Do I want that? Of course not. But to be bitter about this kid is unfair to him and the fact that it is the smart decision for him NOT to come here.
I'm not sure it's the best decision, but it would be understandable. This year has done a lot of damage.

Someone needs to remind BW that ASU self-imposes a tourney ban through their on court performance almost every year.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Still see there are massive rainbow and unicorn dreams dancing in most peoples heads. This program is about to go into a dark funk for a couple of years before any meaningful recovery. The current crop of roster players and possible transfers are not going to move the needle.

I would be amazed if next years club is even able to finish as high as forth in the conference. I might add in an atrociously bad conference, which will be an abject afterthought nationally.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Ryan Luther (Pitt)
Ryan Taylor (Evansville)
Joe Cremo (Albany)
Aaron Calixte (Maine)
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

So Grand Canyon warrants a visit over Arizona who misses the cut............is anyone awake yet.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Gladiator Cat wrote:So Grand Canyon warrants a visit over Arizona who misses the cut............is anyone awake yet.
He's a combo guard with more TOs than assists. Hopefully we were cut due to lack of interest on our part.
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Gladiator Cat wrote:So Grand Canyon warrants a visit over Arizona who misses the cut............is anyone awake yet.

Did Arizona offer him and he turned them down? I only saw that Arizona showed interest at one point.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

He was never a serious candidate to come here. He was always a last resort type of option. I'd be pretty surprised if he ends up anywhere but Grand Canyon or maybe DePaul. I can't imagine Lon Kruger is that hard up for a player like that. Cuonzo and Lenny I doubt very seriously are after him that much.
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

At a party this weekend met some twentysomething people who worked at the U of A in various departments, casual fans and female workers who all are pretty much over with the Miller era. Got the sense that in their viewpoint he tarnishes the reputation of the University and its workers, and they added he does squat in the tournament. Very casual fans reactionary stuff. Not to say Sean is going anywhere, but that look at some current employee morale at the university isn't so positive for his long term health here, unless he gets pure vindication somehow. But ironically, next year could be the year Miller actually coaches lesser one and done talent and makes a real team out of it. You know he wants that chance, as long as he doesn't implode.

But also agree there is such a dark cloud over the program right now, worst it's ever been, and we could fall into a chasm. And we don't have any idea when it will end, that's the frustrating part, it can drag on for eeeevvveeeeerrrr. We're going to need to see some positive traction somehow with decent recruiting to at least fill out a roster, and see what changes get made to ncaa basketball rules in the next 6 months.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You're overreacting. Arizona has higher priorities than him, hence why it never went beyond "hi how you doing?". Quite frankly he's not worth shit and that's not sour grapes at all.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
He's a combo guard with more TOs than assists. Hopefully we were cut due to lack of interest on our part.
Yep.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:At a party this weekend met some twentysomething people who worked at the U of A in various departments, casual fans and female workers who all are pretty much over with the Miller era. Got the sense that in their viewpoint he tarnishes the reputation of the University and its workers, and they added he does squat in the tournament. Very casual fans reactionary stuff. Not to say Sean is going anywhere, but that look at some current employee morale at the university isn't so positive for his long term health here, unless he gets pure vindication somehow. But ironically, next year could be the year Miller actually coaches lesser one and done talent and makes a real team out of it. You know he wants that chance, as long as he doesn't implode.

But also agree there is such a dark cloud over the program right now, worst it's ever been, and we could fall into a chasm. And we don't have any idea when it will end, that's the frustrating part, it can drag on for eeeevvveeeeerrrr. We're going to need to see some positive traction somehow with decent recruiting to at least fill out a roster, and see what changes get made to ncaa basketball rules in the next 6 months.
Arizona just had a fired football coach sued for sexual harassment. Last week, an ex-track coach at Arizona was convicted of felony agg assault against an ex-athlete.

Miller makes employees of Arizona look bad?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

What's the chance that Miller already has his kids but due to the media storm so far has asked everyone to be quite untill signing day?
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

TheGreatCatsby wrote:At a party this weekend met some twentysomething people who worked at the U of A in various departments, casual fans and female workers who all are pretty much over with the Miller era. Got the sense that in their viewpoint he tarnishes the reputation of the University and its workers, and they added he does squat in the tournament. Very casual fans reactionary stuff. Not to say Sean is going anywhere, but that look at some current employee morale at the university isn't so positive for his long term health here, unless he gets pure vindication somehow. But ironically, next year could be the year Miller actually coaches lesser one and done talent and makes a real team out of it. You know he wants that chance, as long as he doesn't implode.

So glad the big boosters, AD, and President are not F- tards like these idvisuauls you speak of. Waving the white flag over Espn’s BS is the biggest p-ssy move you could make. I’m proud the University stood up to that $hit show. As for these 20 years olds I would love to hear who they would like to replace him. Than LMAO when they come with a brain dead reply of Mile Simon. Now on to the tournament there was just something put out about a week ago showing that Miller actually has a good record in it. It was actually better than Lute Olson’s. Hell I thought for the longest time Jay Wright would never get there.