Number retired?
Main Event

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by Main Event »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Well, in case we didn't have enough bad luck, we can add the cover jinx to that.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

whatisee wrote:Number retired?
AZ retires jersey's not #s.
prh

Post by prh »

Well, I'd still rather be on the cover of SI than ESPN right now
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So we got a SI cover jinx now, nice
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What's funny is that we're actually partly sincere in our belief in this SI cover jinx.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:What's funny is that we're actually partly sincere in our belief in this SI cover jinx.
The upside is that we don't exactly have good luck to begin with. Compared to our normal luck, the SI jinx pales.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Alieberman wrote:
Fun trivia question: Only one number in the history of Arizona football has been retired. Who is it?
prh

Post by prh »

btfd16 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Fun trivia question: Only one number in the history of Arizona football has been retired. Who is it?
Luppino's 22 yeah?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

prh wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Luppino's 22 yeah?
Correct. I guess it isn't that hard of a question to a room full of die-hards, but fun nonetheless :lol:
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

NYCat wrote:So we got a SI cover jinx now, nice
What else could go wrong this year :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Arizona fans:

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
One other thing, how ridiculous is it that Ayton is built like that before the age of 20? At that age, I couldn't grow a full goatee and he is built like a 30 year old hall of fame NBA player.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Man among boys.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I've never heard/read or seen but what was the issue with his shoe today, commentators pointed it out and he really did not have his best game (hopefully saved it up for ucla)....

Anyone know what the deal was?
bri

Post by bri »

CatFanOneMil wrote:I've never heard/read or seen but what was the issue with his shoe today, commentators pointed it out and he really did not have his best game (hopefully saved it up for ucla)....

Anyone know what the deal was?
https://twitter.com/TheWildcaster/statu ... 0267607041" target="_blank

All he mentions here is floor seemed harder with the ice underneath and knees are a little sore.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Ayton is a once in a lifetime talent.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Ayton is a once in a lifetime talent.
Thank god he is a Wildcat!
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Main Event wrote:He's the best player the school has ever seen. Been on that wagon and I'm not jumping off
Still on it
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If we replaced Deandre Ayton with Kirk Walters, would you notice?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I can't wait to see the improvement he makes between his freshman and sophomore year.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Longhorned wrote:If we replaced Deandre Ayton with Kirk Walters, would you notice?
of course not....

funny thing is, on the radio the other day they pointed out that Ayton's stat line is basically identical to Jordan Hill's stat line in his junior season.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Main Event wrote:
Main Event wrote:He's the best player the school has ever seen. Been on that wagon and I'm not jumping off
Still on it
I think you can make a legit argument Dre is the most talented freshman in college ever. There have been a lot of greats, but Ayton just has everything you could want.

I mean, the biggest criticism is he's only a little above average as a shotblocker.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Main Event wrote:
Still on it
I think you can make a legit argument Dre is the most talented freshman in college ever. There have been a lot of greats, but Ayton just has everything you could want.

I mean, the biggest criticism is he's only a little above average as a shotblocker.
Truly a man amongst boys

He is so fucking good
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I really want to enjoy watching him more than one year...so I hope the Suns draft him.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Frybry02 wrote:I really want to enjoy watching him more than one year...so I hope the Suns draft him.
that'd be sweet. he's a top 2-3 pick obviously and most mock drafts have the suns having one of the top 3 picks. suns have the 2nd worst record in the nba currently. unless they get screwed in the lottery, they should have a top 3 pick. probably a good 50/50 chance he can go to the suns. either there or memphis or something.

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I really want to enjoy watching him more than one year...so I hope the Suns draft him.
that'd be sweet. he's a top 2-3 pick obviously and most mock drafts have the suns having one of the top 3 picks. suns have the 2nd worst record in the nba currently. unless they get screwed in the lottery, they should have a top 3 pick. probably a good 50/50 chance he can go to the suns. either there or memphis or something.
The Suns always get screwed in the lottery. And coin flips.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Longhorned wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:
The Suns always get screwed in the lottery. And coin flips.
The Coyotes have picked up their luck. A couple years ago they had one of the worst records, and there were two great players in the draft, and they got the #3 pick in the lottery.

Neil Walk and Armon Gilliam instead of Kareem and The Admiral. Oh what could have been.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

There hasn’t been a player who has gotten me this ‘jumping out of my fucking seat’ pumped since Aaron Gordon.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

On the front page of ALL of Yahoo! Sports right now:

https://sports.yahoo.com/deandre-ayton- ... 31170.html" target="_blank
Why Deandre Ayton is worth all the tanking for NBA teams: 'He's the anomaly'

Pete Thamel
Yahoo Sports
Mar 9, 2018, 11:42 AM

NEW YORK – The NBA scout lives an anonymous, omnipresent and thankless existence, pinballing from concierge lounges to aisle seats to rental car counters in search of the next great prospect. Often, the only validation of their itinerant lifestyles comes from checking their Marriott point balance. Many seasons, the entire scouting process is viewed with skeptical resignation by those involved. The scouts wake up predawn, sprint for connections and plod through traffic only to find a morass of mediocre talent.

But it’s years like the 2018 NBA draft that make the slog worthwhile even for the most jaded scouts, especially for those franchises attempting to out-tank each other. This NBA draft class offers the most promising collection of elite big-man prospects in the past decade, an unusual collection both in quality and quantity.

Arizona’s Deandre Ayton, Duke’s Marvin Bagley III, Texas’ Mohamed Bamba and Michigan State’s Jaren Jackson Jr. make up the best collection of high-end centers and power-forward prospects in a draft class in some time. That grouping doesn’t include another high-end talent, Missouri’s 6-foot-10 freshman forward Michael Porter Jr., who scouts expect to play more on the wing and perimeter in the NBA. The only recent draft class with a cluster of comparable big men came in 2007, with Greg Oden, Kevin Durant, Al Horford, Joakim Noah and Spencer Hawes as top-10 prospects.

In the mock-draft universe, there’s not a ton of consensus on who’ll go No. 1. There are infatuations with Luka Doncic, a Slovenian guard who may be the most accomplished young European prospect to ever enter the NBA. But the reality is that few around the NBA can conceive anyone other than Arizona’s Ayton being picked No. 1. Yahoo Sports checked in with a half-dozen scouts this week, and all of them saw him as the draft’s No. 1 pick. One scout said the chances of him going No. 1 are 95 percent. Another chuckled at the notion of anyone else going No. 1. “He’s the anomaly,” said a veteran NBA scout. “The guys in our league would get a chuckle out of [there being no consensus in the mock drafts]. Deandre Ayton is the freakiest of them all.”

Ayton is 7-foot-1 and his body is already a chiseled 261 pounds. The most frequently used comparison is Philadelphia big man Joel Embiid, a 7-footer with uncommon versatility, shooting range and footwork.

“He’s different,” said Washington coach Mike Hopkins. “You occasionally see someone and say, ‘That’s different.’ When I saw Ray Allen and Allen Iverson for the first time, I said, ‘That’s just different.’ The way [Ayton] moves, blocks shots and dunks angry. And then goes and hits threes. It’s scary.”

Arizona coach Sean Miller said the most consistent feedback he’s gotten about Ayton is the rare confluence of his raw athleticism, soft touch and versatility. “It’s the combination that’s striking,” Miller said. “There’s a uniqueness to him.”

And that’s why NBA scouts predict it will be impossible for whatever forlorn franchise lands the No. 1 pick to not take him. Pass on a basketball unicorn, and it could end with a generation of regret. “When there’s a guy like Joel Embiid available, that’s still viewed as the rarest thing out there,” said one scout. “The most special thing.”
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

well then he's probably going to the grizzlies, suns, hawks, nets or kings.

Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Best player in U of A history
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Go Kings!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

He keeps this up and we go on a deep run, we are probably looking at an all-time type of dude.

Truly unreal how fucking good Ayton is. Tonight should have sealed the deal for National Player of the Year.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

rgdeuce wrote:He keeps this up and we go on a deep run, we are probably looking at an all-time type of dude.

Truly unreal how fucking good Ayton is. Tonight should have sealed the deal for National Player of the Year.
Nobody saw this game because it was buried on the WAC-12 network but and ESPN isn’t going to do us any favors showing the highlights or talking him up. They will push Brunson or MBIII
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

His second half was legendary
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I think he and the team are starting to put it all together.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Maybe, 3goggles, but Bagley couldn't beat his own conference's six seed tonight.

Which is fine. They can keep overrating and overhyping Duke all the way to a #1 seed in the West. I invite it at this point.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Deandre the Giant.

Officially have to make room for him in my top 5 All Time Favorite Cats list in that thread a few weeks ago.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Deandre Ayton is such a special talent that if he came back to school for a second year, he'd literally be so dominating he would likely be bored with the game.

If he stays healthy, can you imagine the coin this kid is going make over his NBA career. We're probably talking about Jordan type money if not more.

Some GM is going to have to have some balls to pass on Deandre at #1. Maybe even a firing for incompetence.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Gladiator Cat wrote:Deandre Ayton is such a special talent that if he came back to school for a second year, he'd literally be so dominating he would likely be bored with the game.

If he stays healthy, can you imagine the coin this kid is going make over his NBA career. We're probably talking about Jordan type money if not more.

Some GM is going to have to have some balls to pass on Deandre at #1. Maybe even a firing for incompetence.
yeah i wouldn't wish that on anyone with the talent he has. unless he wants to skate "unpaid"...hah...on easy street in college, he absolutely has to go to the nba. he'll be an all star by the 2020 game.

Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Lando05 wrote:Best player in U of A history

Man I love me some Sean Elliot, but Ayton is on a whole different level. Best player in our proud history no doubt.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

ASUHATER! wrote:
Gladiator Cat wrote:Deandre Ayton is such a special talent that if he came back to school for a second year, he'd literally be so dominating he would likely be bored with the game.

yeah i wouldn't wish that on anyone with the talent he has. unless he wants to skate "unpaid"...hah...on easy street in college, he absolutely has to go to the nba. he'll be an all star by the 2020 game.
Agree completely hater. The kid is really special.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

ESPN is definitely dissing on Ayton...not one highlight, not even a mention of our win over UCLA tonite...

Bear Down and one more thing...FUCK ESPN!
1stNGrant Frys

Post by 1stNGrant Frys »

Gladiator Cat wrote:
Lando05 wrote:Best player in U of A history

Man I love me some Sean Elliot, but Ayton is on a whole different level. Best player in our proud history no doubt.
I think Derrick Williams has been skewed due to his terrible NBA career and the dopey persona that he didn't seem to have in college. Even if you could call them offensively equal, I guess Dwills defense was only hero-plays.
Last edited by 1stNGrant Frys on Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:ESPN is definitely dissing on Ayton...not one highlight, not even a mention of our win over UCLA tonite...

Bear Down and one more thing...FUCK ESPN!
Maybe they don’t get the Pac-12 Network.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?