Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

midnightx

Re: Deandre Ayton

Post by midnightx »

With all of the talent that has come through this program the past 8 years, it is very discouraging that the year Arizona had quite possibly the most talented player ever in its program was the year key pieces and depth were missing (in addition to serious off-court issues hanging over the program). Nevertheless, Ayton was a lot of fun to watch. Arizona fans will watch with pride as he moves to the next level.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I know, and I might even watch an NAB game. I hope ayton goes to the spurs.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I know, and I might even watch an NAB game. I hope ayton goes to the spurs.
I'm not sure if you know how the NBA draft system works, but the only way Ayton could end up on the Spurs is if they traded Kawhi Leanord for the #1 pick, something I don't think whatever team lands that pick would even do
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Come on kings...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Come on kings...
Screw you man, the Suns need to finally catch a break from the lottery gods, we're due!
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

CalStateTempe wrote:Come on kings...
Nah, need the kings to win just enough to get, like the 8th pick so they don't get anything close to an instant impact, franchise changer. THEN, we need the Kings to suck very badly next year while all the other shitty teams from this year who picked ahead of them get just a bit better, enough to surpass them, and have the kings end up with the #2 pick, which my Celtics will waltz right in and take for their own, thank you very much.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

So isn't there some drama with kawhi? Also the spurs are not a lock for the playoffs. But actually, Orlando has a shot and AG and DA are two of my faves. That would be fun.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:So isn't there some drama with kawhi? Also the spurs are not a lock for the playoffs. But actually, Orlando has a shot and AG and DA are two of my faves. That would be fun.
Gordon needs to get out of there. Last thing I want is Ayton getting infected as well. They cant figure out how to talk Gordon into/play him at his actual position. Have a feeling Ayton would be sucked dry by them as well.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azgreg

Post by azgreg »

3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

Does this make him eligible for a jersey retirement or what ever they call it?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

3goggles wrote:Does this make him eligible for a jersey retirement or what ever they call it?
It should.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

3goggles wrote:Does this make him eligible for a jersey retirement or what ever they call it?
He's a first team All-America. That fills the requirement. Everything else is gravy.
3goggles

Post by 3goggles »

zonagrad wrote:
He's a first team All-America. That fills the requirement. Everything else is gravy.
Gotcha I wasn’t sure what needed to happen for that.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Bob Elliot: 4 year player, 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, 1977 1st team All American (Helms +), the one and only former Wildcat BB player in the COSIDA Academic Hall of Fame and who led us to our very first elite eight in school history and who stayed in the community to become head of the alumni association does not have his jersey retired; but, some guy that was here for about nine months and led us to one of the biggest flameouts in tournament history and who has trouble answering a simple question at at an awards ceremony should have his retired? Give me a break.
prh

Post by prh »

I thought the jersey retirement was only for NPOY or NFOY, and the ring of honor was for all these other things...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:I thought the jersey retirement was only for NPOY or NFOY, and the ring of honor was for all these other things...
What award do you think Steve Kerr won that he has his Jersey hanging in the rafters? All that is required is you win a "of the year award" and you qualify to have your Jersey in the rafters.

Arizona would be stupid not to want to hang up Ayton's jersey in the rafters. He's going to be the most successful Arizona NBA player in history. You need to market that.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
prh wrote:I thought the jersey retirement was only for NPOY or NFOY, and the ring of honor was for all these other things...
What award do you think Steve Kerr won that he has his Jersey hanging in the rafters? All that is required is you win a "of the year award" and you qualify to have your Jersey in the rafters.

Arizona would be stupid not to want to hang up Ayton's jersey in the rafters. He's going to be the most successful Arizona NBA player in history. You need to market that.
Ha yeah don't know why I was thinking that. I agree that we need to promote him plenty, I didn't mean to sound against any of the recognition.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

You do need to win a national award. Kerr was awarded the USBWA National Courage Award in 1988
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

KaibabKat wrote:Bob Elliot: 4 year player, 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, 1977 1st team All American (Helms +), the one and only former Wildcat BB player in the COSIDA Academic Hall of Fame and who led us to our very first elite eight in school history and who stayed in the community to become head of the alumni association does not have his jersey retired; but, some guy that was here for about nine months and led us to one of the biggest flameouts in tournament history and who has trouble answering a simple question at at an awards ceremony should have his retired? Give me a break.
Amen.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Just read on allsportstucson that Stanley Johnson is elgible to have his jersey retired too after getting a "of the year" award. I did not know he won one of those.
Also read Al Fleming is not in the Ring of Honor. That absolutely has to change. I also think Bob Elliot should has his jersey retired, right next to Ayton's.
Mike Luke's burner account.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

This. I don't understand being butthurt over how this year ended and Ayton leaving after one year and using that to say he shouldn't get honored.

Ayton was always too talented to be anything but a one and done. Of the reasons we lost to Buffalo, Ayton was way down the list. He was our best player by a long shot. Maybe Dusan was more consistent, but that was it.

Arizona fans should be rooting for Ayton to become a HOF player and perennial all star so we can have him as one of the shining examples of our program.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: What award do you think Steve Kerr won that he has his Jersey hanging in the rafters? All that is required is you win a "of the year award" and you qualify to have your Jersey in the rafters.

This. I don't understand being butthurt over how this year ended and Ayton leaving after one year and using that to say he shouldn't get honored.

Ayton was always too talented to be anything but a one and done. Of the reasons we lost to Buffalo, Ayton was way down the list. He was our best player by a long shot. Maybe Dusan was more consistent, but that was it.

Arizona fans should be rooting for Ayton to become a HOF player and perennial all star so we can have him as one of the shining examples of our program.
There is no way to rep or +1 or whatever, but all of this...all of it.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Michael Dickerson isn't in the Ring of Honor either, of course he is in the Pac-12 Hall of Honor which I think would be a serious qualifier for your own schools ROH... I'd be very surprised if Bob Elliott and Damon Stoudamire's jersey's aren't retired in the next couple of seasons.

Also count me in the crowd that thinks the wall hangings of our retired jerseys looks terrible. The Celtics always did it best, hang all the numbers on a giant flowing cardinal/white/navy banner from the rafters. Just include the names of the guys in small readable print.

I love the pre qualification standard for ring of honor/jersey retirement but I think some common sense could be included in the ordeal. Some guys just aren't going to get 10 years in the league/olympic medals and sometimes the media/coaches can be down right stupid in voting for awards. Guys like Terry Vaughn and Yusuf Scott on the football side of things would be examples. Hell at least Yusuf has the Morris Trophy (Which is technically the conferences linemen of the year trophy. Every player who has won it for us is in the ROH. Those players met other standards though.) Hell I don't think Vance Johnson is in the football ROH and he played a decade for the Broncos. At least they got Manumaleuna right this past season though and Channing the previous season for basketball). Another well deserving ROH member would be Jordan Hill for basketball but he only has 8 years NBA so he's not gonna quite get there.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

KaibabKat wrote:Bob Elliot: 4 year player, 2000 points, 1000 rebounds, 1977 1st team All American (Helms +), the one and only former Wildcat BB player in the COSIDA Academic Hall of Fame and who led us to our very first elite eight in school history and who stayed in the community to become head of the alumni association does not have his jersey retired; but, some guy that was here for about nine months and led us to one of the biggest flameouts in tournament history and who has trouble answering a simple question at at an awards ceremony should have his retired? Give me a break.
Neither do Reeves, Stoudamire, Dickerson, Simon, Jefferson, Arenas, Iguodala, Chris Mills, D Will, etc. This aint charity, and Ayton's one season here > Elliott's whole playing career.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Deandre Ayton was ‘handcuffed’ in Arizona’s ‘archaic’ offense

Arizona didn’t know how to use Ayton properly, one talent evaluator opines
By Ryan Kelapire@RKelapire May 16, 2018, 5:10pm PDT

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... umors-news" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

You mean Miller made zero adjustments to his offense when he had the best center he'll probably ever have in his entire coaching career playing for him? He stuck with an offense that pros consider archaic and not fit for his personnel?

Imagine my shock.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

HiCat wrote:Deandre Ayton was ‘handcuffed’ in Arizona’s ‘archaic’ offense

I have to say I disagree. To get this out of the way, call me a Miller lover.

The criticism is Arizona didn't use Ayton right by allowing Dusan too much time in the post which meant Ayton saw fewer post touches. That isn't a function of the offense, though. It's a function of a lack of other post options and Dusan needing to operate out of the post.

Dusan was never going to fill the high post much. Ayton was far better in the high post. Ayton might have been better low more as opposed to high, but Dusan woud have lost a ton of value by reversing roles.

If something handcuffed us, it was a poor fit in terms of the respective talents of players. It sounds weird, but Comanche would have let us play a lot freer and get Ayton max post touches.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

The criticism is Arizona didn't use Ayton right by allowing Dusan too much time in the post which meant Ayton saw fewer post touches. That isn't a function of the offense, though. It's a function of a lack of other post options and Dusan needing to operate out of the post.

Dusan was never going to fill the high post much. Ayton was far better in the high post. Ayton might have been better low more as opposed to high, but Dusan woud have lost a ton of value by reversing roles.

If something handcuffed us, it was a poor fit in terms of the respective talents of players. It sounds weird, but Comanche would have let us play a lot freer and get Ayton max post touches.
Ultimately Arizona needs to start running a big wing at the 4 with one true big at the 5 and play modern basketball.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Ultimately Arizona needs to start running a big wing at the 4 with one true big at the 5 and play modern basketball.
Or a stretch 4 like Luther this coming year or Markannen and Ashley before him. Our offense had fewer issues when Lauri was out there because he could 100% spread the D. Same with Brandon, our spacing completely changed in 13-14 when he went down.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Or a stretch 4 like Luther this coming year or Markannen and Ashley before him. Our offense had fewer issues when Lauri was out there because he could 100% spread the D. Same with Brandon, our spacing completely changed in 13-14 when he went down.
The issue with Lauri, Luther, and Ashley stems on defending the 4 spot. Most teams employ a tall athlete at the 4, which presents matchup issues for all those guys named. Offensively we'll certainly be good though with a big stretching the floor.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If something handcuffed us, it was a poor fit in terms of the respective talents of players. It sounds weird, but Comanche would have let us play a lot freer and get Ayton max post touches.
Give me a 6'7" guy with a nice wingspan and a three point shot. That's my ideal college PF. Needs to be able to switch on the perimeter, chase guards off of screens and recover, and both stretch the floor and punish overly eager close-outs off the dribble.

Is that asking for a lot? I think it's asking for Ray Smith. Hopefully it's asking for Emman Akot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
The issue with Lauri, Luther, and Ashley stems on defending the 4 spot. Most teams employ a tall athlete at the 4, which presents matchup issues for all those guys named. Offensively we'll certainly be good though with a big stretching the floor.
Choo will you expand on that?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:If something handcuffed us, it was a poor fit in terms of the respective talents of players. It sounds weird, but Comanche would have let us play a lot freer and get Ayton max post touches.
Give me a 6'7" guy with a nice wingspan and a three point shot. That's my ideal college PF. Needs to be able to switch on the perimeter, chase guards off of screens and recover, and both stretch the floor and punish overly eager close-outs off the dribble.

Is that asking for a lot? I think it's asking for Ray Smith. Hopefully it's asking for Emman Akot.

Couldn't agree more.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Choo will you expand on that?
In what way? I think your last post encapsulates what I'm looking for in my college 4 man and how the 3 guys mentioned in Spiff and mine's discussion wouldn't fit that role due to being too slow to do all the things I'd be looking for on defense. All 3 of those guys are give and take guys. You certainly take their ability to stretch the floor for you on offense and you also take advantage of their size in the post when required, but you give up defense with those guys. It is what it is.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Dusan was not the issue. Arizona did not have the guards and was very limited at point guard. There was no effective ball movement and ineffective shooting, two major contributors to a stagnant offense. The fact that Ayton still dominated the way he did with a limited roster and cloud over the program is a real tribute to the kind of player he is.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:In what way? I think your last post encapsulates what I'm looking for in my college 4 man and how the 3 guys mentioned in Spiff and mine's discussion wouldn't fit that role due to being too slow to do all the things I'd be looking for on defense. All 3 of those guys are give and take guys. You certainly take their ability to stretch the floor for you on offense and you also take advantage of their size in the post when required, but you give up defense with those guys. It is what it is.
That's what I thought you meant - trouble on the defensive end with those guys listed (Lauri, Luther, Ashley) defending athletes. Thanks
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Thu May 17, 2018 10:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I don't think that was the point. I think the point was that we played big and also didn't use PnRs a lot. The NBA is just a spread PnR league, and we are basically the opposite.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

See, I don't worry so much. Ashley was our 4 on the best defensive teams in Arizona basketball history, teams that were the best defensive team in the nation and a top five defensive team.

I know a lot of that had to do with guys other than Ashley, bit I think it's evidence you can be extraordinary witb a more traditional stretch 4.

Heck, Lauri was not a stopped, played alongside Dusan and we were pretty good on D.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I wish.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

He did get one thing right

“handcuffed at Arizona by playing without a true point guard and with another big.”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:He did get one thing right

“handcuffed at Arizona by playing without a true point guard and with another big.”
PJC was a true point guard. He was just small and not particularly effective as a starter.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Sean Miller talks Deandre Ayton’s defense, shooting, fit with the Phoenix Suns, and more
1 comment
Miller doesn’t agree with the concerns about Ayton’s defensive ability

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... k-scouting" target="_blank
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

HiCat wrote:Sean Miller talks Deandre Ayton’s defense, shooting, fit with the Phoenix Suns, and more
1 comment

When I read CSM talk about Deandre, it reaffirms everything I have always felt about him being the coach I prefer for this program over any other.

Can't wait until DA dominates the league from the get go
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Miller doing a great job promoting Deandre which is exactly what he should be doing and a big reason recruits like him. He sells his guys well

I hate the Suns but its going to be hard to hate them with Deandre on their team.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dcZONAfan wrote:
HiCat wrote:Sean Miller talks Deandre Ayton’s defense, shooting, fit with the Phoenix Suns, and more
1 comment

When I read CSM talk about Deandre, it reaffirms everything I have always felt about him being the coach I prefer for this program over any other.

Can't wait until DA dominates the league from the get go
Miller has always been very loyal to his players and it seems most reciprocate. It is definitely one reason I feel strongly about him being our guy going forwards.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Deandre Ayton says 'I know I'm going No. 1' after having workout with Phoenix Suns

PHOENIX (AP) -- Deandre Ayton spent Wednesday with the Phoenix Suns with the feeling that this was the start of a beautiful relationship.

The 7-foot-1, 250-pound center went through what he said would be his only pre-draft workout and expressed supreme confidence that the Suns will use the No. 1 overall pick to select him.

"I know I'm going No. 1," he told reporters.

Not that the Suns have assured him of that, he's just that confident that the team won't pass on his combination of size, strength, athleticism and shooting touch.

"Nobody told me," he said. "That's just me. I think I deserve that. I've worked hard."

It would be a comfortable fit for Ayton, who was born in the Bahamas and moved to the Phoenix area during high school. He said most of his family now lives here. Ayton played his one year of college basketball a couple of hours down Interstate 10 at the University of Arizona.

"Everybody knows us now," he said. "This is our second home so we just feel welcome, and it

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/06/06/d ... oenix-suns" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

With all due respect to other guys in the top 5, Ayton is about as big a no-brainer at #1 you’ll ever see.
ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

He just signed an endorsement deal with Puma. . . (as did, oddly enough, Bagels Mk. III)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ghostwhitehorse wrote:He just signed an endorsement deal with Puma. . . (as did, oddly enough, Bagels Mk. III)
Puma saw an opening with Adidas and Nike under FBI investigation.