Deandre Ayton

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

97cats

Deandre Ayton

Post by 97cats »

"College is a must". "My family wants me to go to college. It's important for me and my mom. I want to go to Arizona and win a national championship. Arizona won its only national title 20 years ago -- and I'd like to help bring another one to Tucson."

DeAndre Ayton
MrBug708

Re: DeAndre Ayton

Post by MrBug708 »

Impressed
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

not a point guard
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:not a point guard
:lol:
Right where I want to be.
1560s Guy

Post by 1560s Guy »

More Miller magick.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm not a basketball expert (recruiting or otherwise), but this seems like a pretty good get. :mrgreen:
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Article by Anthony Gimino.
http://www.tucsonnewsnow.com/story/3303 ... ndre-ayton" target="_blank
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:"College is a must". "My family wants me to go to college. It's important for me and my mom. I want to go to Arizona and win a national championship. Arizona won its only national title 20 years ago -- and I'd like to help bring another one to Tucson."

DeAndre Ayton
I would also like that.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

*speechless*
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Glad to see 97 excited as we all are. If we can find a way to keep a few of this year's guys for next year, we should be the favorite
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Most recent highlights I could find:

https://youtu.be/ElSbCyXR__s" target="_blank
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

If Ayton actually plays in an Arizona uniform, this is a get on the level of what Kevin Love was for Howland. Maybe bigger.
az91

Post by az91 »

MrBug708 wrote:Impressed
Me too. Best recruit of the Miller era?
Abrahamarvel

Post by Abrahamarvel »

az91 wrote:
Me too. Best recruit of the Miller era?
Highest ranked recruit of all time.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

97cats wrote:"College is a must". "My family wants me to go to college. It's important for me and my mom. I want to go to Arizona and win a national championship. Arizona won its only national title 20 years ago -- and I'd like to help bring another one to Tucson."

DeAndre Ayton
WELCOME De Andre!!!
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Could be argued he could be our biggest recruit ever in terms of immediate nba ready talent.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

For what it's worth, I am hearing from a friend who apparently knows Ayton through coaching circles that eligibility is not going to be an issue. Not sure I trust the source, but he would have no reason to lie about it.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Welcome to the Wildcat family, DeAndre!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Best news in a while. Really hope we get to have him in Tucson for at least a year.

How about:

KS
RA
RS
DA
DR

This assumes LM and AT are gone, and I have no idea who else we're adding to the '17 class.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Damn this is exciting! :D
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Holy shit.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Talk about a pleasant surprise. I was dicking around on facebook last night and a female friend messaged me, "Is this DeAndre Ayton guy really good?" She figured I would have been the first to know and it took me a good 10 seconds to ask myself, wait, what happened. :lol:
splitsecond wrote:For what it's worth, I am hearing from a friend who apparently knows Ayton through coaching circles that eligibility is not going to be an issue. Not sure I trust the source, but he would have no reason to lie about it.
Well he has plenty of time to sort things out and/or get things right, and he will have people in our camp making sure everything is laid out for him.
ASUHATER! wrote:Could be argued he could be our biggest recruit ever in terms of immediate nba ready talent.
Based on what I was reading last night, without a doubt. Kevin Garnett is a special player and if this kid is anything close to a KG.... If things work out, and most of Alkins, Smith, LM, Trier, Simmons, Ristic, and Comanche stick around another year, we may be talking about an all-time Arizona team. Still super early in that 17 class and we got all the momentum now with this signing. Miller is a witch
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Physically, I think Ayton compares well to Garnett. Slightly taller and bigger at his age. Similar mobility and explosiveness off the floor. KG separated himself with his passion for the game just as much as he did with his physical skill. If Ayton is close to KG as a competitor, look out.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rgdeuce wrote:Talk about a pleasant surprise. I was dicking around on facebook last night and a female friend messaged me, "Is this DeAndre Ayton guy really good?" She figured I would have been the first to know and it took me a good 10 seconds to ask myself, wait, what happened. :lol:
I have a buddy who I always text first with any AZ sports news who texted me after the announcement, "Bro, things good? Usually you get at me with Cats news like this Ayton commitment. Everything ok with the fam?"

I guess he thought I was dead or in the hospital since I hadn't told him we were getting the #1 player in the nation a few days before it happened. :D

So that's how I found out. I took my kids to their sports practice with never even a thought to check my phone on the off chance he pulled the trigger for us. Heheh, whoops!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:Talk about a pleasant surprise. I was dicking around on facebook last night and a female friend messaged me, "Is this DeAndre Ayton guy really good?" She figured I would have been the first to know and it took me a good 10 seconds to ask myself, wait, what happened. :lol:
I have a buddy who I always text first with any AZ sports news who texted me after the announcement, "Bro, things good? Usually you get at me with Cats news like this Ayton commitment. Everything ok with the fam?"

I guess he thought I was dead or in the hospital since I hadn't told him we were getting the #1 player in the nation a few days before it happened. :D

So that's how I found out. I took my kids to their sports practice with never even a thought to check my phone on the off chance he pulled the trigger for us. Heheh, whoops!
I knew the announcement was coming on ESPN and I even had my TV on, but I decided to do yard work that I had been putting off as I thought watching would be a waste of my time....WHOOPS!
gumby

Post by gumby »

Chicat wrote:

I saw a tweet from a sportswriter who covers Washington State U. I'm like ... what?
Would that be H.P. Lovecraft?
Last edited by gumby on Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Will Ayton really qualify, though? Aren't there issues with his prep school?
gumby

Post by gumby »

Beachcat97 wrote:Will Ayton really qualify, though? Aren't there issues with his prep school?
About time someone brought this up. Someone answer, so I don't have to read the two threads on this!
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Even if he does qualify, how much of a bitter die-hard am I to think of holding a pool on who will be the David Kravish who breaks one of this guy's feet, and in which game?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Will Ayton really qualify, though? Aren't there issues with his prep school?
About time someone brought this up. Someone answer, so I don't have to read the two threads on this!
I've sent multiple emails to the NCAA today and they're just not answering. I hate those guys.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

How miserable must it be to be you. You literally can't enjoy ANYTHING.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

“My family and I can benefit by coming to my games,” Ayton told ESPN on his decision to stay close to home. "Coach [Joe] Pasternack and Sean Miller, I really trust those guys. I know they can help me get to the next level."

http://www.wildcat.arizona.edu/article/ ... to-arizona" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

gumby wrote:
He's got plenty of time to make up classes that previously didn't count. I'd be more concerned about overseas than I would be grades. If the guy wants to go to college as he claims he does then he should be more than able to qualify, especially when committing this early and having a coaching staff devote resources to help him get qualified.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

dcZONAfan wrote:
Remember how stoked we were when Ferguson committed?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
"Yesterday is history and tomorrow's a mystery."

-Social Distortion

Yes he has an issue, but what does playing prophet of doom on a message board do about it?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
When I die, I'm going to be shocked if God tells me you're actually an Arizona fan or a professor.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Or maybe both!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
Yeah. It was fun.

We enjoyed it. Then things changed.

Remember that time we got a commit from Stanley Johnson and he came to school? Or that time we got a verbal from Aaron Gordon and he came to school? Or that time we got Mike Bibby and he came to school?

Remember that time we got a commit from Solomon Hill and then lost it but got it back and didn't worry about it and he came to school? How about that time we heard TJ McConnell was transferring to Arizona? I mean, he wasn't even from high school...he could have knocked a girl up or been killed by an ACL injury.

Remember that time Rondae Hollis-Jefferson committed and he came to school?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Remember that 1 time at band camp BC? That was hilarious evcat
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So Jody Oehler is on in the Phoenix marketplace now? Wonder if he will be the anti Homer UofA guy?
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

azcat49 wrote:So Jody Oehler us on in the Phoenix marketplace now? Wonder if he will be the anti Homer UofA guy?
he's been there for a year or two now. he even filled in for Dan Patrick on his show during the olympics. big time now.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Heh.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wow, tells you how much Iisten to the sh#t shows they have up here. So much ASSU BS that I can't listen.
Last edited by azcat49 on Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luteformayor2

Post by luteformayor2 »

Good lord, please let Lauri stay one more year. Please let us have a front court of those 2!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

luteformayor2 wrote:Good lord, please let Lauri stay one more year. Please let us have a front court of those 2!
Can you imagine? And don't forget DR and CC.
az91

Post by az91 »

gumby wrote: Would that be H.P. Lovecraft?
I heard he is trying to get Cthulu to commit to Arizona too, but he is currently leaning toward Duke.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

full article on the link

Arizona Wildcats believe hoops recruit DeAndre Ayton's reward is worth the risk

By Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Updated 47 min ago

Matt Allen, director of the Hillcrest Prep program in Phoenix that Ayton now plays for, says Ayton recorded a 3.2 grade-point average last year and remains in good shape after taking classes over the summer.

“He’s on track to become eligible and just has to take his SAT,” Allen said. “He’s a good student. He still has work to do this year, but his parents want him to go to college, and he would like to go. Arizona is the place he wants to go.”

The coursework that Hillcrest players took last season initially raised eligibility questions. Ayton and other Hillcrest players attended Phoenix’s StarShine Academy early last season but that program did not have NCAA-certified core courses, so the players all moved to the online Arizona Connections Academy, which has NCAA-certified courses.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... 73fcc.html" target="_blank
jsbowl16

Post by jsbowl16 »

“With who he is, it’s better that he’s not in a classroom,” Weaver said.

I was a little thrown off by this quote in the article above. If he doesn't belong in a classroom then where does he belong?

Maybe he gets easily distracted by other students.