Miller Really Happy With Non-Conference Schedule

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

BBQ wildcat

Miller Really Happy With Non-Conference Schedule

Post by BBQ wildcat »

http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... new-mexico

Is he kidding? Patsies at home, semi-tough teams on neutral courts, and what really tough teams on the road? Out non-conference schedule is a joke. "As a whole, Arizona’s non-conference strength of schedule places at No. 129 in the country, per Kenpom.com."

I long for the good old days, when Lute would play any team, any time, any where.
Chicat

Re: Miller Really Happy With Non-Conference Schedule

Post by Chicat »

Is Miller supposed to bad-mouth our schedule and give the tourney committee a built-in reason to fuck us in the butthole?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

:lol:

Yeah, we played Butler, Gonzaga, Michigan State and A&M away from McKale. Three teams who will likely finish in the AP top 25. Our home nonconference schedule wasnt exciting,, but overall we had some good tests, especially when you factor in the guys we had in street clothes for most of it.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

BBQ wildcat wrote:http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... new-mexico

Is he kidding? Patsies at home, semi-tough teams on neutral courts, and what really tough teams on the road? Out non-conference schedule is a joke. "As a whole, Arizona’s non-conference strength of schedule places at No. 129 in the country, per Kenpom.com."

I long for the good old days, when Lute would play any team, any time, any where.
That's generally not how the sport works now. Time to move on.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

rgdeuce wrote::lol:

Yeah, we played Butler, Gonzaga, Michigan State and A&M away from McKale. Three teams who will likely finish in the AP top 25. Our home nonconference schedule wasnt exciting,, but overall we had some good tests, especially when you factor in the guys we had in street clothes for most of it.
Yeah we played 4 solid to great teams...all away. And went 2-2 against them. (Although MSU is 7-5...they were 7-4 with the 4 losses being to Arizona, Duke, Kentucky and Baylor. Buttttt they just lost to Northeastern at home.)

Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Post-game radio had Pac 12 SOS from the NCAA as follows:

1 Stanford
2 ASU
3 UA
7 UCLA
9 USC
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think it is fair to say our home schedule was hoping him but overall it was a better non Conference schedule then most of the conference.

With what happened with Trier I am really happy with it and I think it was just about the right mix of games to bring along so many new players
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Idk, what are you supposed to do when people refuse home and homes?
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Exactly. Most teams that are top 25 or better quality do not want to come play in McKale. Unless you're ucla of course. Since it isn't much of a home court advantage.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Exactly. Most teams that are top 25 or better quality do not want to come play in McKale. Unless you're ucla of course. Since it isn't much of a home court advantage.
UCLA can get teams because teams want a game in LA to sell in recruiting. Nobody's trying to build a recruiting presence in Tucson.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Still think UNM should have been a 2-1, not a home and home.

We are not ASU!
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ASUHATER! wrote:Exactly. Most teams that are top 25 or better quality do not want to come play in McKale. Unless you're ucla of course. Since it isn't much of a home court advantage.
UCLA can get teams because teams want a game in LA to sell in recruiting. Nobody's trying to build a recruiting presence in Tucson.
+1000

The only games we will get against the blue bloods will be on neutral courts. Times have changed. No one is coming to McKale, maybe Phoenix but not Tucson.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

84Cat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
+1000

The only games we will get against the blue bloods will be on neutral courts. Times have changed. No one is coming to McKale, maybe Phoenix but not Tucson.
very true. the days of us getting the north carolina's and duke's and kansas' of the world to come to McKale are most likely dead. we'll play them in Maui or the NIT in MSG or at a neutral site in chicago or a Phoenix/Charlotte "home and home". but in each other's arena's? nope. the best home games we'll get from now on will be against top mid major teams like Gonzaga or lower to mid level power conference teams like Missouri or Texas Tech or Clemson.

EVCat

Post by EVCat »

again, look at the major teams in college basketball and their schedules. Look for the true "road" games OOC.

There will be one or two. If there is more than one, it is usually some kind of inter-state compulsory game or game with ties to the program. And the other one is often an opponent in a recruiting hot bed. Duke, Kansas, and Oregon (and TCU) are all playing UNLV in Vegas. And not in Thomas and Mack, so is that a neutral? Let's say it is a true roadie..it is the only one.

Duke has ONE OOC road game OOC this year...@ UNLV

Michigan State has ONE OOC road game this year. @ Duke

Kansas has TWO OOC road games this year. @ UNLV, @ Kentucky. Remember, they have the draw of being a Phat 5 and HUGE TV ratings.

Louisville has ONE OOC road game this year. @ Grand Canyon. Phoenix, or maybe a favor to Colangelo and USA Basketball?

Wisconsin has TWO OOC road games this year, and one is an in-state but non-conference rival in Marquette. The other was @ Creighton, and I would bet that was a two for one.

So, again...where are these magical opportunities for us to play big opponents home and road in OOC play? Every one of those road games mentioned, the 1.5 average OOC road games big programs play, had a reason behind it that we don't have to offer. We are an elite program, but we do not generate the same level of rating for CBS that matchups with Kansas or Kentucky does. I think we would be absolutely fine with playing a major OOC opponent each year in home/away, but someone has to agree to do it.

It seems like this is a circular, never-ending argument. Someone new posts a thread about our bad home schedule without looking at the other 15 threads about it that explain the challenges with changing it and we are off again.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

And, really...I don't care that much. There are plenty of good games in conference. I would love Duke in McKale, but I am resigned to the reality that those games take place in other locales that season tickets will not cover.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Not to mention, some of this is on Larry Scott and the P12. With the way scheduling is now, you have to have that conference v conference affiliation to force the good matchup home and home.

Another reason LS has to go.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

A lot of our OOC has been worse than you would think when it was scheduled. We got Michigan and they showed up in their worst period. UNLV should have given us more than they did. Mizzou fell off the map after we scheduled them. UNM has been decent and this is a weaker year. Boise was decent.

At the time those games get set in McKale, you have to think they'll all be decent games, and they've really disappointed.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

BBQ wildcat wrote:http://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketball ... new-mexico

Do you also long for the days when Sunny Jim could always win the press conference?