let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

goslingswagg

Re: let's talk '20

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Roy Williams is absolutely buttfucking Sean Miller in this recruiting class.
Basically have to get Ziaire or a Paolo Banchero reclass at this point to salvage this class....if he doesn't pull that off, time to fire up the hot board (probably already time tbh).
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

CalStateTempe wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:I'm pretty concerned we're going to lose Walton now that UNC has a scholarship for him....
Only their 6th transfer in 17 years, I think we have that many in the last 5 years. Additionally, rarely do you see the Brandon Randolph's, Chance Comanche's, Kobi Simmon's of the world leaving before they should be. Maybe we should start giving these HS players those multi year contracts UNC must be giving them.
Or maybe they don’t play for a stodgy, non fun, inflexible, glorified, mid major of a coach, who consistently has failed to deliver over the past 5 years.
That too...
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Is missing out on Walton that big of a blow? Why hasn’t he committed yet to any school?

If playing time is what he wants, are UNC or Arizona the schools that will give it to him?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Is missing out on Walton that big of a blow? Why hasn’t he committed yet to any school?

If playing time is what he wants, are UNC or Arizona the schools that will give it to him?
Considering the other options for his spot and the fact that our backcourt is as weak of a shooting backcourt as you can possibly assemble, yes, yes he's a huge miss. Add to the fact that we have been recruiting him forever now, it's a waste of a lot of resources.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Is missing out on Walton that big of a blow? Why hasn’t he committed yet to any school?

Considering the other options for his spot and the fact that our backcourt is as weak of a shooting backcourt as you can possibly assemble, yes, yes he's a huge miss. Add to the fact that we have been recruiting him forever now, it's a waste of a lot of resources.
For the most part, we all agree that we need to start filling our roster with players that are 3-4 year contributors. At the same time, I hope miller also recruits those 3-4 year players that want to wear the uniform. (I miss Kevin Parrom a lot.) Looks like we will be getting a lot more Baker next year.

Walton will be in the transfer portal next year.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Not that there is any shot but what if Miller somehow some way lived up to his “witch” nickname and got a Jalen Green commitment out of nowhere. What would your reaction be?

I don’t believe there is any chance it happens but did we think Nnaji was coming to Arizona??
(Just stirring the pot and I am bored as f*ck.)
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:Not that there is any shot but what if Miller somehow some way lived up to his “witch” nickname and got a Jalen Green commitment out of nowhere. What would your reaction be?

I don’t believe there is any chance it happens but did we think Nnaji was coming to Arizona??
Jalen Green is going to go straight to the pros even if he commits to a school this week.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Not that there is any shot but what if Miller somehow some way lived up to his “witch” nickname and got a Jalen Green commitment out of nowhere. What would your reaction be?

Jalen Green is going to go straight to the pros even if he commits to a school this week.
Good. Guys that don't want to go to college, shouldn't.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Good. Guys that don't want to go to college, shouldn't.

Absolutely. Even marginal players who don't like college, like Chase Comanche, shouldn't have to go.

Some people just don't like college with all the classes, studying and homework, and some love it. If they would rather play ball, let them. You can make a decent living overseas.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Miller is going to get next year and i expect Arizona to be competitive, perhaps even thrive...will it be enough?
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
3 weeks ago, I was 100% sure this was the case. I am curious what COVID-19 could impact a decision to go pro overseas. Maybe staying close to home becomes the best option.
Beachcat97 wrote:Absolutely. Even marginal players who don't like college, like Chase Comanche, shouldn't have to go.

Some people just don't like college with all the classes, studying and homework, and some love it. If they would rather play ball, let them. You can make a decent living overseas.
I agree 100%.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

This is why I like the baseball model. You can go pro right away but if you commit to a college you have to stay 3 years.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

97cats wrote:Miller is going to get next year and i expect Arizona to be competitive, perhaps even thrive...will it be enough?
That sounds like some inside perspective roster wise :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:Miller is going to get next year and i expect Arizona to be competitive, perhaps even thrive...will it be enough?
I doubt thrive, but I'd expect competitive.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

I’d be really surprised if we thrived next year...just don’t see it barring a Ziaire/Banchero pick up level pick up.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I don't think we lose a game next year.

But then again, I don't think anyone loses a game next year.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

goslingswagg wrote:
I’d be really surprised if we thrived next year...just don’t see it barring a Ziaire/Banchero pick up level pick up.
Shock the world baby!
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I doubt thrive, but I'd expect competitive.
Right now Jerry Palm doesn’t have us in the tournament next year.

Are we talking about “competing” for a tournament spot?
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo. With this latest stuff with Walton, Juzang and Griffin going elsewhere, what’s our board looking like? Zaire, Haarms, Kriisa, Euro Big, Minlend? Any other guys out there that we would take?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats wrote:Choo. With this latest stuff with Walton, Juzang and Griffin going elsewhere, what’s our board looking like? Zaire, Haarms, Kriisa, Euro Big, Minlend? Any other guys out there that we would take?
Nobody else that I'm aware of, but that can change at any time.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

i said "perhaps" and thats becasue we dont know the roster today. i do think Arizona will be competitive regardless - begs the question, is middle to upper middle of the road Pac 12 team whose fighting for a tournament spot good enough?

maybe if commits are loaded for the following year? maybe there is more rope?

Miller gets this year i do know that, and that in itself is interesting to say the least.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Hope I’m wrong but I don’t have a good feeling about Ziaire...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:Hope I’m wrong but I don’t have a good feeling about Ziaire...
No one does. I'd say USC or Stanford.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

We gonna be happy drinking or sad drinking tomorrow?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I have no idea, which probably means USC or Furd.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:I have no idea, which probably means USC or Furd.
He feels like a USC player to me...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

I'm in the piss poor frame of mind that I don't feel good about landing any of our targets.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
Nobody in their right mind should feel like a USC basketball player.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
Haha touché
97cats

Post by 97cats »

:lol:
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I believe Ziaire is someone with a right mind FWIW. Doesn't mean it's us though of course.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
I believe Ziaire is someone with a right mind FWIW. Doesn't mean it's us though of course.
Hope Seanny is read to drop that bag.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Well fuck, he's going to Stanford.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Evan Daniels put in a crystal ball for Stanford

This thing is done

Add that to the fact that Roy is basically swiping Walton, this class and next years roster might be Sean's last

If Miller can't recruit at a high level, he's not good enough Xs and Os coach to overcome inferior talent
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:Well fuck, he's going to Stanford.

Damn. Gut punch
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Any hypothetical NCAA punishment would almost certainly affect the 2021 class, so I don't see how 2021 gets better

These grad transfers suck and aren't the solution
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Any hypothetical NCAA punishment would almost certainly affect the 2021 class, so I don't see how 2021 gets better

It's more the fact that he's got one year left on his deal that'll make it more difficult for him to recruit.

If this isn't Sean's last year it'll be for one of or both of these reasons:

1. He coaches his fucking ass off and surprises big next year.
2. The situation with football makes the situation of buying out two coaches completely untenable. Football season ends first.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Any hypothetical NCAA punishment would almost certainly affect the 2021 class, so I don't see how 2021 gets better

Hopefully, the NCAA hits us with sanctions in the spring of 2021 (tournament sanctions) which wouldn't effect the 2021 class........we may not be that lucky. They haven't even hit us with the allegations and then we have 3 months to respond. It's looking like we won't be responding before the start of the 2020-2021 season.

By not acting proactively in 2018 we are now suffering from the butchered 2018 recruiting cycle (and whats looking more and more like a sub-part 2020 class). If the sanctions don't hit until after the 2021 tournament we will suffer a 3rd sub-par class.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Honestly, I wouldn’t mind moving on now. What is this lame duck season going to do for us? We’re gonna be super mediocre next year. Would rather move on, get a new coach in place and get started on the 2021 class.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Well, though unintentional, looks like we will get a class next year with no one and dones. Here’s to hoping this class becomes really good in 2-3 years.

Essentially it is J. Brown, Akinjo, Mathurin, and Terry. T. Brown for a year. It will be nice to see some roster consistency for the 21-22 year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:

It's more the fact that he's got one year left on his deal that'll make it more difficult for him to recruit.

If this isn't Sean's last year it'll be for one of or both of these reasons:
Isn't that going to be just as hard to recruit with as potentially NCAA hitting us with something major?

Why would anyone commit Arizona if he has no job security and no guarantee he'll be there when they play at Arizona? (Unless they just want to play at Arizona not play for Miller)

We better hope Akinjo, Terry, Mathurin, Brown, Koloko are good enough core this year for any decent coach to step in and have a huge dramatic drop off. Or else we could have seven year rebuild or whatever Andy Katz said when Miller initially took over.

If that young core is good enough, they likely won't win more than like 20ish games this coming year but could be pretty good and hit the ground running for the next coach like say Chris Mack and Louisville
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The sanctions are meaningless (if you don't believe me look at USC's recruiting), the 1 year remaining on his contract is every thing.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

Arizona Basketball has fallen and it has fallen hard. It simply isn't a destination school or holds the same status as it once did. Thats the way I see it.

I would say Miller is borderline lame duck and overall trending in a less appealing direction.

Heeke and Robbins have a shit storm to deal with next year with a utterly tanking economy and lower dollars in general, a losing floundering football program and Miller who seems to have lost the magic and just looks tired and ineffective.

Miller is either going to have to be extended to a long contract of say 3-4 years for continuity or let go. A 1-2 year extension is a vote of no confidence and a clear indication goofy ass Heeke and Robbins are rudderless and hedging their bets because they really don't know what to do.

They are effectively the Keystone Cops.

Anything less than a 3-4 year extension and recruits will see right through that BS. Really to sum it up is when you have ASSU and UCLA fans telling you they hope you keep Miller, it may be time to reevaluate things.

That's the ultimate head shake because I do like Miller but the bloom is off the rose.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:The sanctions are meaningless (if you don't believe me look at USC's recruiting), the 1 year remaining on his contract is every thing.
Choo- wouldn’t it behoove both parties to have signed an extension this offseason that wouldn’t change our buyout numbers? So that Miller isn’t recruiting with one hand tied behind his back and then we can still get rid of him without a significant financial outlay after this season (if it doesn’t go well)? Seems like a no brainer to me, it’s something I’ve seen some college teams do with their cfb coaches and I think it’s a win-win.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The sanctions are meaningless (if you don't believe me look at USC's recruiting), the 1 year remaining on his contract is every thing.
Choo- wouldn’t it behoove both parties to have signed an extension this offseason that wouldn’t change our buyout numbers? So that Miller isn’t recruiting with one hand tied behind his back and then we can still get rid of him without a significant financial outlay after this season (if it doesn’t go well)? Seems like a no brainer to me, it’s something I’ve seen some college teams do with their cfb coaches and I think it’s a win-win.
I don't think there's a world where Sean Miller would sign a contract extension without the financial security that comes with a buyout of multiple years of the contract being completed. Maybe I'm wrong, but I can't envision Sean Miller ever agreeing to any thing like that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

With maybe no football this year and losing that revenue, and needing to fire Sumlin first I don't see any harm in giving Miller an extension.

Especially one that fixes the clause where he gets paid more if he gets fired WITH cause.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The one year remaining on Millers contract is DIRECTLY related to the impending sanctions and the entire FBI scandal.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
The one year remaining on Millers contract is DIRECTLY related to the impending sanctions and the entire FBI scandal.
Or the lack of success on the court, either way...