let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: let's talk '20

Post by RondaeShimmy »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
Gershon said they're also not one and done caliber. So realistically could have every position filled for the next couple of years.

PG: Akinjo/Euro kid
SG: ___/Walton(?)/Euro Kid who can play dual PGs/Mathurin
SF: Terry/Mathurin
PF: Brown/euro big
C: Koloko/euro big

Of course that's if Miller gets both Euros and if that's the case idk how Miller recruits. Jay Wright after getting his core will get recruiting classes of only 1-2 players. Of course he would have to recruit for depth but hopefully he takes the time to let them play and develop.
That actually looks like a decent depth chart to me. It's not national contender level, but it is what it is. I'd really like to see Walton and Haarms commit. Would be a nice boost.

Fwiw, the best Pac rosters heading into next season are Oregon (provided they keep everyone), ASU, USC, Stanford and UCLA.
That depth chart is missing Jemarl Baker, Terrell Brown, and Ira Lee as well. I think a lot is riding on these next couple additions...if we get Kriisa and the euro big/Haarms, I believe we'd be looking at a back-end top 25 team next year. Big ifs, however.
That depth chart was more for the following year (2021-2022) and beyond, in which hopefully Arizona is ready to compete at a higher level. Only forgot Baker.

You'd have an upperclassmen Akinjo, Baker, Koloko, Brown, and sophomores Terry, Mathurin, 2 Euros which on paper looks like a solid core.

This coming year (20/21) with Terrell Brown is going to be a transition year, so I don't expect much other than to see flashes of the future.

Hence my reasoning that Miller wouldn't need that big of a class in 2021 other than depth or plug some holes with 1nD or GT. Because barring anyone leaving (or sucking) you would have 8 players on scholarship and the starting positions pretty much filled, probably the 7-8 man rotation as well.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Makes sense Rondae, I'm with you.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

^ Comments are gold!

So high school recruits can go straight to the G league now?
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Merkin wrote:^ Comments are gold!

Mostly ASU fans so who cares
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Comments are lame and predictable.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

They always could, but offering a lucrative contract to HS deniors is a new thing. Jalen Green is going to take roughly 500k to skip college for the G league.
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

ChooChooCat wrote:

They always could, but offering a lucrative contract to HS deniors is a new thing. Jalen Green is going to take roughly 500k to skip college for the G league.
Plus no class. But also, no pool parties.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote:

That's a pretty sweet deal for Green, imo. This G League option feels like a stepping stone towards being back where we started, with guys no longer required to wait a year to enter the draft.

There will always be a small number of elite recruits who simply *want* to go to college and play NCAA ball, even if only for a year. Some guys like school and will be drawn to the college experience. But the majority would presumably enter the draft or take the G League route. There's zero reason to re-route these guys through college when they have zero interest in completing coursework and contributing to their college team's success.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The G-League is tough. These kids will be playing against grown ass men who are very hungry for success and will be looking to prove they are better fits for NBA teams than someone who was just playing high school/AAU. This isn’t a league featuring a bunch of kids who will mostly go on to do something other than play professional basketball like college is. You better be really READY if you’re going high school to G-League because I think your chances of being exposed as not ready are much higher.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:The G-League is tough. These kids will be playing against grown ass men who are very hungry for success and will be looking to prove they are better fits for NBA teams than someone who was just playing high school/AAU. This isn’t a league featuring a bunch of kids who will mostly go on to do something other than play professional basketball like college is. You better be really READY if you’re going high school to G-League because I think your chances of being exposed as not ready are much higher.
The G League conditions are also far far shittier than NCAA. You're far from pampered.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

So if a player signs a G League deal out of high school, kills it in the first week, can he get called up and go to the NBA essentially right out of high school?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:So if a player signs a G League deal out of high school, kills it in the first week, can he get called up and go to the NBA essentially right out of high school?
Nope, he has to wait to be drafted.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Isn't this just the NBA's counter to the international (Australia) route? At the end of the day there are only so many players worth investing that kind of money in whether it is the G league or Australia.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:The G-League is tough. These kids will be playing against grown ass men who are very hungry for success and will be looking to prove they are better fits for NBA teams than someone who was just playing high school/AAU. This isn’t a league featuring a bunch of kids who will mostly go on to do something other than play professional basketball like college is. You better be really READY if you’re going high school to G-League because I think your chances of being exposed as not ready are much higher.
bingo - no pussies need apply
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone happen to know if any AZ guys are currently in the G League? Maybe Ashley?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

What about Rawle? Where is he playing?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone happen to know if any AZ guys are currently in the G League? Maybe Ashley?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/" target="_blank

Kadeem Allen
Mustafa Shakur (not active)
Gable York (not active)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

azcat49 wrote:What about Rawle? Where is he playing?
FC Porto of the Liga Portuguesa de Basquetebol.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone happen to know if any AZ guys are currently in the G League? Maybe Ashley?
https://www.basketball-reference.com/gleague/players/" target="_blank

Kadeem Allen
Mustafa Shakur (not active)
Gable York (not active)
Only three guys, wow. Thought it would be a longer list given how many guys we've had who aren't in the NBA. Hopefully the others are balling overseas and doing ok. Pretty sure PJC is in Europe. Would like to know how Ristic is doing.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:Would like to know how Ristic is doing.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/viewtop ... ic#p432804" target="_blank
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Make $100K + car + housing in Europe easy.

The average G League salary is $35,000.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Kobi Simmons is listed as active for 19-20.
So is Brandon randolph.
And Justin Simon
Last edited by Postmaster on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Postmaster wrote:Kobi Simmons is listed as active for 19-20.
So we s Brandon randolph.
And Justin Simon
Looks like my link is incomplete. Shocker.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

That Chance kid who played here for a minute or two is in the G League as well.
Last edited by gronk4heisman on Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

So the new G league is going to be a real option for these kids. Both Green & Isaiah Todd are going to the G league
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:Thank Chance kid who played here for a minute or two is in the G League as well.
Comanche apparently hated school, and a perfect example of someone who should have gone straight to playing professionally out of high school.

According to Wiki played for the Canton Charge but no longer on the roster. https://canton.gleague.nba.com/roster/" target="_blank
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

azgreg wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Kobi Simmons is listed as active for 19-20.
So we s Brandon randolph.
And Justin Simon
Looks like my link is incomplete. Shocker.
You have to tap on the letter of alphabet to get the full list.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:
gronk4heisman wrote:Thank Chance kid who played here for a minute or two is in the G League as well.
Comanche apparently hated school, and a perfect example of someone who should have gone straight to playing professionally out of high school.

According to Wiki played for the Canton Charge but no longer on the roster. https://canton.gleague.nba.com/roster/" target="_blank
Most students hate school and can’t wait to move on. That’s the nature of youth. But most stick it out knowing that a degree will likely improve your chances of success. And if your school is being paid for with a full ride, it’s pretty stupid to give that up.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Most students hate school and can’t wait to move on. That’s the nature of youth. But most stick it out knowing that a degree will likely improve your chances of success. And if your school is being paid for with a full ride, it’s pretty stupid to give that up.
I don't get it. For me it was all sunshine and bodies and Nogales and the U of A mall and tequila and swimming pools. Even after I got cut off and had to get myself through working full-time at Kinko's, it was still all that, plus the ocean. I loved college so much I never left.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh my god I fucking loved college.

If you hated going to the University of Arizona the chances of us ever being friends are pretty much nil.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Chicat wrote:Oh my god I fucking loved college.

If you hated going to the University of Arizona the chances of us ever being friends are pretty much nil.
IMNSHO, college was the greatest time of life...

... I went to grad school at U of A, and had to, of course, always carry a spoon in my pocket to frequently put my eyeballs back in my sockets (casual observations of typical U of A coeeds!!), and while also working full time throughout, could have hardly enjoyed it more....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:Oh my god I fucking loved college.

I was bored with the academic side. Spent most of my time playing ball at Bear Down. No, I get the @best time of your life.” Of course it was fun, but I can’t say I enjoyed the classroom side of things. I was ready to be done and took 18 & 19 units my senior year to graduate on time. Maybe that’s why.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I recently got a copy of my transcript. It was very obvious that I loved college for all the wrong reasons.

Or maybe they were the right ones? Anyway, I’m not getting into law school.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

My UofA years were easily among the best of my life. Made lifelong friends, walked that gorgeous campus mall all year round, spent way too much time at the rec and not enough hitting the books, got all of my hard drinking out of my system so my mid 20s could be more productive, watched great sports, ate at Bison Witches and Nico's and Frog & Firkin all the time...I wouldn't trade those years for anything. My one mistake: staying in an exclusive relationship for half my time there when I should've been dating more women. Oh well. Advice to current students: stay single while you're in college. You've got plenty of time for a committed relationship later on.
prh

Post by prh »

This is the content we need right now. I wish I'd had a little more "fun" during my time, but I sure enjoyed the hell out of it anyways. Got quite familiar with the tunnel system and where it drops you into McKale. I also made Beachcat's mistake, although I had 2 relationships covering almost the entirety of my college career. Oh well. Still loved my time so much I extended with a couple more years. Enjoyed the days when we actually turned students away from the zoo at football games, and it felt like we cared.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

I fucking loved college. Who knows I may even still be mormon if I didnt go to college. Some of the funnest times and best lessons I learned.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Popular T-shirt/bumper sticker:

The University of Arizona. 5 or 6 of the best years of your life.
(I got out in 4 because that's all I could afford).

I had this T-shirt:

The University of Arizona
Truth. Knowledge. A Great Tan.
-JB
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

I loved freshman year but once I got serious about getting an EE degree that was four years of my life I wish I could get back. After graduating it was nice actually having free time again to party and do whatever I wanted.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Probably was the best years of my life come to think of it. No real responsibilities, just to myself.
Dosia wrote:I loved freshman year but once I got serious about getting an EE degree that was four years of my life I wish I could get back. After graduating it was nice actually having free time again to party and do whatever I wanted.
When I was a senior going full time, and working part time, and had a fiance, all I could think of it sure will be nice when I graduate and have some free time.

But you know what, I never got that back! Work, marriage, kids, house...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Dosia wrote:I loved freshman year but once I got serious about getting an EE degree that was four years of my life I wish I could get back. After graduating it was nice actually having free time again to party and do whatever I wanted.

Junior year in EE is definitely hell. That's the year I almost changed majors. Carrying like 18 units, working part time, and had my first serious girlfriend.

Gary Shandling was a EE major until his junior year. He walked out in the Electrical Engineering building hallway during his EE 301 lab to get a drink of water and never went back. :lol:
-JB
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

One intersection between this turn through memory lane and the board’s biggest topic: man do I feel bad for students who missed out on AZ being a true powerhouse hoops program. This is not a knock on Miller. He’s given us some great moments and deserves our respect. It’s more a commentary on where we were in the late 90s/early 00s vs. now. Being in college while your basketball or football team is among the elites is pretty fucking special. Watching AZ hoops games in those days was so damn much fun. We had so many great players, and seeing them on campus was always cool.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Beachcat97 wrote:One intersection between this turn through memory lane and the board’s biggest topic: man do I feel bad for students who missed out on AZ being a true powerhouse hoops program. This is not a knock on Miller. He’s given us some great moments and deserves our respect. It’s more a commentary on where we were in the late 90s/early 00s vs. now. Being in college while your basketball or football team is among the elites is pretty fucking special. Watching AZ hoops games in those days was so damn much fun. We had so many great players, and seeing them on campus was always cool.

Seeing the rise under Lute was pretty cool too. Traveled to Albuquerque for the first tourney game (lost to Bama). First PAC-10 championship. First Final Four.

Good times.
-JB
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:One intersection between this turn through memory lane and the board’s biggest topic: man do I feel bad for students who missed out on AZ being a true powerhouse hoops program. This is not a knock on Miller. He’s given us some great moments and deserves our respect. It’s more a commentary on where we were in the late 90s/early 00s vs. now. Being in college while your basketball or football team is among the elites is pretty fucking special. Watching AZ hoops games in those days was so damn much fun. We had so many great players, and seeing them on campus was always cool.
UA MBB was a total shitshow when I was a student 81-85. That was the Snowden->Lindsey->Olson transition.

Football was where it was at, with Larry Smith beating some really good teams and was leading the team into the Rose Bowl until he took the red eye to USC.

Baseball was the other hot sport.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Merkin wrote:
UA MBB was a total shitshow when I was a student 81-85. That was the Snowden->Lindsey->Olson transition.

Football was where it was at, with Larry Smith beating some really good teams and was leading the team into the Rose Bowl until he took the red eye to USC.

I feel like my time (‘95-‘99) was the pinnacle of Arizona basketball AND football.

The anticipation of seeing if I won the lottery to buy basketball tickets was an amazing nervousness I’ll never forget. Won them my freshman and junior years, and used my nerd friend’s Cat Cards the other two years to win as well. So I had season tickets all four years and I cannot fucking understand for the life of me why we can’t fill the Zoo now. I was fucking ECSTATIC that I got nosebleed seats knowing so many others didn’t even get a chance to get in.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I feel like my time (‘95-‘99) was the pinnacle of Arizona basketball AND football.

The anticipation of seeing if I won the lottery to buy basketball tickets was an amazing nervousness I’ll never forget. Won them my freshman and junior years, and used my nerd friend’s Cat Cards the other two years to win as well. So I had season tickets all four years and I cannot fucking understand for the life of me why we can’t fill the Zoo now. I was fucking ECSTATIC that I got nosebleed seats knowing so many others didn’t even get a chance to get in.
I had season tickets in my frosh year in’86-‘87. The next year was a lottery system and students were up in the rafters. There just weren’t any seats available. It’s unconscionable that McKale is not full with students. And frankly, same for football. What the hell else are you doing? You can’t attend games and still party?
eoe

Post by eoe »

For those who know - any internal discussions about the realities of there even being a 2020-21 season? I would guess the chances are very low on a permanent resolution to the current health crisis before 2021 and I wonder how that is affecting recruiting/planning for next year and beyond. ie. What to do with Miller's contract if there is no team to field/play/coach next season?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

zonagrad wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I had season tickets in my frosh year in’86-‘87. The next year was a lottery system and students were up in the rafters. There just weren’t any seats available. It’s unconscionable that McKale is not full with students. And frankly, same for football. What the hell else are you doing? You can’t attend games and still party?
I won the lotto the year after the Kerr FF. Back then they only let you buy one ticket per ID,
No cell phones. I could not get ahold of anybody to use their ID so I only got one season ticket.
Last row in NE corner. Went to every game by myself.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Junior year in EE is definitely hell. That's the year I almost changed majors. Carrying like 18 units, working part time, and had my first serious girlfriend.

Gary Shandling was a EE major until his junior year. He walked out in the Electrical Engineering building hallway during his EE 301 lab to get a drink of water and never went back. :lol:
Did he whistle as he walked away?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:

Our years coincided, Chi. I was '95 to '00. I won the lotto freshman year too but never again. I did manage to score tickets to some good home wins during Pac play. Man it was fun going to games in those days. The "death run" was real.

Going back years later, after the old student union was gone and the new one had been built, it felt so different. I really liked the look of those old buildings on the mall, some of which remain there, but there's all kinds of newer construction on campus that we never got to enjoy. Even the rec center looks totally different.