let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azgreg

Re: let's talk '20

Post by azgreg »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:One intersection between this turn through memory lane and the board’s biggest topic: man do I feel bad for students who missed out on AZ being a true powerhouse hoops program. This is not a knock on Miller. He’s given us some great moments and deserves our respect. It’s more a commentary on where we were in the late 90s/early 00s vs. now. Being in college while your basketball or football team is among the elites is pretty fucking special. Watching AZ hoops games in those days was so damn much fun. We had so many great players, and seeing them on campus was always cool.
UA MBB was a total shitshow when I was a student 81-85. That was the Snowden->Lindsey->Olson transition.

Football was where it was at, with Larry Smith beating some really good teams and was leading the team into the Rose Bowl until he took the red eye to USC.

Baseball was the other hot sport.
I remember sitting in the dorms on game night and decide to go to the game at about 6:00. Walk right up and get mid court tickets with about 1,000 of your closest friends.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:One intersection between this turn through memory lane and the board’s biggest topic: man do I feel bad for students who missed out on AZ being a true powerhouse hoops program. This is not a knock on Miller. He’s given us some great moments and deserves our respect. It’s more a commentary on where we were in the late 90s/early 00s vs. now. Being in college while your basketball or football team is among the elites is pretty fucking special. Watching AZ hoops games in those days was so damn much fun. We had so many great players, and seeing them on campus was always cool.
UA MBB was a total shitshow when I was a student 81-85. That was the Snowden->Lindsey->Olson transition.

Football was where it was at, with Larry Smith beating some really good teams and was leading the team into the Rose Bowl until he took the red eye to USC.

I feel like my time (‘95-‘99) was the pinnacle of Arizona basketball AND football.

The anticipation of seeing if I won the lottery to buy basketball tickets was an amazing nervousness I’ll never forget. Won them my freshman and junior years, and used my nerd friend’s Cat Cards the other two years to win as well. So I had season tickets all four years and I cannot fucking understand for the life of me why we can’t fill the Zoo now. I was fucking ECSTATIC that I got nosebleed seats knowing so many others didn’t even get a chance to get in.
Our years coincided, Chi. I was '95 to '00. I won the lotto freshman year too but never again. I did manage to score tickets to some good home wins during Pac play. Man it was fun going to games in those days. The "death run" was real.

Going back years later, after the old student union was gone and the new one had been built, it felt so different. I really liked the look of those old buildings on the mall, some of which remain there, but there's all kinds of newer construction on campus that we never got to enjoy. Even the rec center looks totally different.
Being an Arizona student from like 1993-2001 would've been great. I was there '04-'08 and our football team was god awful and I was there for the unceremonious last couple years of Lute with the Kevin O'Neill year being my senior year. I have a lot of fun memories around the student section and sporting events from being in school... it's just that not much of it has to do with us being good or winning anything.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Playing pick up in Bear Down was special. Once they moved to the Rec Center, it was sterile and felt like a health club. Although the view of the pool was damn good.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Well football and basketball were both pretty mediocre (to bad) during my time, '05-'09. I still attended every football/basketball game I could, absolutely loved going. Unfortunately, the last good Lute team ('04-'05), skipping how that season ended, was right before I got on campus. Although, I grew up in Tucson so I'm pretty familiar with some of the good Lute teams of the late 90s/early 00s.

I saw we have a couple EE major posting above, I was a ME major at UA myself. I heard EE was an easy major and you only have to know V=IR (...this is what one of my ME professors said anyway).
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

zonagrad wrote:Playing pick up in Bear Down was special. Once they moved to the Rec Center, it was sterile and felt like a health club. Although the view of the pool was damn good.
Must have smelled better though. I lifted weights in Bear Down my freshman year before they opened the rec center. Hard to forget the smell of a century of sweat absorbed into the walls.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Never could take a dump at Bear Down. The men's bathrooms had no stalls, just rows of toilets like a 1960's Marine Corp barrack.
azgreg wrote:
Merkin wrote:

I remember sitting in the dorms on game night and decide to go to the game at about 6:00. Walk right up and get mid court tickets with about 1,000 of your closest friends.
I remember fellow students telling me they would take their homework to the games and spread out since there was so much room.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:
zonagrad wrote:Playing pick up in Bear Down was special. Once they moved to the Rec Center, it was sterile and felt like a health club. Although the view of the pool was damn good.
Must have smelled better though. I lifted weights in Bear Down my freshman year before they opened the rec center. Hard to forget the smell of a century of sweat absorbed into the walls.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I totally remember this. I played intramural hoops one year. Games were in Bear Down. It was fucking awful. By the end of a game we were running for the door to breathe fresh air.

Pick-up games in the rec center were pretty intense. It was all the guys who were the best on their HS team -- but not quite good enough or tall enough to play NCAA ball -- in one place. I'm 6'4, so I could usually get in there and grab some boards, play some D. But the athletes I encountered in there were next level. I'd get stuck guarding a 6'7 guy with hops and try to keep him from dunking on me.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

The Golden Age of Wildcat sports, as I believe my time at the University of Arizona will be remembered from 1993-97, was incredibly dramatic and intense. Never a dull moment, much less one to catch your breath. Sleep was something you sneaked after everything else.

It just felt like I was just driving toward something--degree, career, that elusive revenue-sport national championship while working for the athletic department--all the time. Even watching the games, while relaxing, was still laser-focused. I wanted to be that rising tide that lifted all boats.

It's no joke, and people don't understand every time I tell them how college was for me. It was a full-time freaking mission. There were no huge frat party memories. No lasting friendships. No nostalgia-inducing dates. Most of the jocks I knew from then have turned out to be rabid Trumpsters who you can't have a reasonable conversation with anymore.

It didn't help I had a grade-based scholarship to keep, I guess. But, on the other hand, I was in the best shape of my life.

Moreover, when you're that age and '97 had the outcome it had, you really would believe in it being a platform to greater things, and that you had an indelible part to play in that--even if it was just working in Facilities Management at the basketball games, getting to know (now UCF AD) Mark Harlan, John Perrin, Tom Duddleston and Sunny Jim in the AD and announcing some JV baseball and softball home games on the P.A.

Looking back, it was a whirlwind, magical time. The apex of my independence. But it took a helluva lot of hard work to make those memories. Definitely NOT an experience ANYBODY could repeat now.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

catgrad97 wrote:The Golden Age of Wildcat sports, as I believe my time at the University of Arizona will be remembered from 1993-97, was incredibly dramatic and intense. Never a dull moment, much less one to catch your breath. Sleep was something you sneaked after everything else.

It just felt like I was just driving toward something--degree, career, that elusive revenue-sport national championship while working for the athletic department--all the time. Even watching the games, while relaxing, was still laser-focused. I wanted to be that rising tide that lifted all boats.

It's no joke, and people don't understand every time I tell them how college was for me. It was a full-time freaking mission. There were no huge frat party memories. No lasting friendships. No nostalgia-inducing dates. Most of the jocks I knew from then have turned out to be rabid Trumpsters who you can't have a reasonable conversation with anymore.

It didn't help I had a grade-based scholarship to keep, I guess. But, on the other hand, I was in the best shape of my life.

Moreover, when you're that age and '97 had the outcome it had, you really would believe in it being a platform to greater things, and that you had an indelible part to play in that--even if it was just working in Facilities Management at the basketball games, getting to know (now UCF AD) Mark Harlan, John Perrin, Tom Duddleston and Sunny Jim in the AD and announcing some JV baseball and softball home games on the P.A.

Looking back, it was a whirlwind, magical time. The apex of my independence. But it took a helluva lot of hard work to make those memories. Definitely NOT an experience ANYBODY could repeat now.
Awesome post, cg. Some great memories in there.

Being there for '97 was exactly as you describe it. A transcendent moment.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

DrWildcat wrote:Well football and basketball were both pretty mediocre (to bad) during my time, '05-'09. I still attended every football/basketball game I could, absolutely loved going. Unfortunately, the last good Lute team ('04-'05), skipping how that season ended, was right before I got on campus. Although, I grew up in Tucson so I'm pretty familiar with some of the good Lute teams of the late 90s/early 00s.

I saw we have a couple EE major posting above, I was a ME major at UA myself. I heard EE was an easy major and you only have to know V=IR (...this is what one of my ME professors said anyway).
I graduated in 09 too. If I made it through EE school it must not be that hard. :D
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Dosia wrote:I loved freshman year but once I got serious about getting an EE degree that was four years of my life I wish I could get back. After graduating it was nice actually having free time again to party and do whatever I wanted.

Junior year in EE is definitely hell. That's the year I almost changed majors. Carrying like 18 units, working part time, and had my first serious girlfriend.

Gary Shandling was a EE major until his junior year. He walked out in the Electrical Engineering building hallway during his EE 301 lab to get a drink of water and never went back. :lol:
Yeah I had b2b 18 credit semesters junior yr also. Senior yr was easy, but mentally I was burned out which made it difficult to get across the finish line.

Thats funny about Garry. I have never heard that story.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
catgrad97 wrote:The Golden Age of Wildcat sports, as I believe my time at the University of Arizona will be remembered from 1993-97, was incredibly dramatic and intense. Never a dull moment, much less one to catch your breath. Sleep was something you sneaked after everything else.

Awesome post, cg. Some great memories in there.

Being there for '97 was exactly as you describe it. A transcendent moment.
It really was. The sporting gods finally opened up the heavens after what seemed like a lifetime of obscurity-induced frustration and futility. I didn't sleep until 5 a.m. that morning, and I don't think I got to bed until 5 a.m. a single night thereafter until after the graduation ceremony at McKale.

A lot of greats passed through Arizona at that time. Barely saw Ced Dempsey in passing before his retirement, but got to know one of his right-hand men, Butch Henry, and son Brian rather well, along with (later on) Dick Bartsch and baseball announcer Jan LaFaata. Talked to Brian Jeffries a few times at games.

At the Daily Star, where I interned as a Journalism major, "Columbo" Pascoe was just starting out and establishing his contacts. Javier Morales (deservedly) ruled the sports department, along with that beautiful, lovely man then on the football beat, Anthony Gimino.

Pops Hansen and Mike Candrea hardly spoke to anyone they hadn't known for years. But God Bless and keep Jerry Kindall (RIP), whose brother Wayne I worked with at a HS in Phoenix, where he was AD and hired Ben Lindsey, of all people, to coach hoops for a year.

Coach Kindall, always smiling, ever patient, always with time for you, even sent me a personalized Christmas card once.

All these people are just memories now. Even the ones who are still alive or active aren't the same as their vintage selves. You don't want to fall into such sentimentality that you bronze these people, but a helluva still-life could be painted of Lute, Tomey and the above personalities at Arizona in the mid-90s. Legendary experiences worth the sacrifice of a personal life, if not career plans.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:

LETS GOOOOOOOi
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Kerrrrrrrrrrr...............
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

Choo once again just want to give you your kudos. Nobody else had a clue about this kid. Appreciate all the info!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Please tell me his middle name doesn't start with a K.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Already my 2nd favorite Kerr
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Great pickup, really excited about him. Seems like we want to seriously run a 2 PG system huh?
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

UAEebs86 wrote:

Seeing the rise under Lute was pretty cool too. Traveled to Albuquerque for the first tourney game (lost to Bama). First PAC-10 championship. First Final Four.

Good times.
Similar timeframe for me seeing the rise of the program under Lute ('85-'89). Fun times!
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Reminds me of Matthew Dellavedova.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Very nice. Backcourt has to be set. CAn't imagine there is room for Walton.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hopefully they’ll start considering us a tournament team again!

(And yes, that’s where we are)
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What are you guys referring to? I’d appreciate any update. Just a joke I don’t get?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Anyone have a hint on who the euro big that we are going after is? I’m in the mood for some highlight tapes tonight after watching Kriisa’s and the curiosity is killing me.
UAallDay

Post by UAallDay »

goslingswagg wrote:Anyone have a hint on who the euro big that we are going after is? I’m in the mood for some highlight tapes tonight after watching Kriisa’s and the curiosity is killing me.
https://www.eurobasket.com/Top-Prospect ... asp?Year=3" target="_blank
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I might have to give up on understanding the Kerr Kriisa joke. He’s a basketball player in Estonia. Ha ha ha ha ha. There’s a queen in England named Elizabeth. Tee hee.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Actually do you any of you think Kriisa might be a possibility for Arizona?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Start a new generation of Keeeeerrrrrrkriiiiiiisiiiiii
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Kerr has a brroom! He eats orranges!!!’

(Am I doing it right?)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:
That tweet was deleted.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Yeah guy jumped the gun a bit, but the ending will be the same regardless.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

They just tweeted he committed again 10 minutes ago
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Choo correctly predicted this so long ago I had even forgot about it. Well done Choo, and thanks.
ChooChooCat wrote:Yeah guy jumped the gun a bit, but the ending will be the same regardless.
NickyBCats wrote:They just tweeted he committed again 10 minutes ago
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Ok, it's official now.
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

when I was in school '93-'97..

watched us win the chip at the Shanty. Rushed out onto 4th ave after.

We were on our way to Tiburon on 4th ave one night in my friend's VW bus. Teddy Bruschi- threw the door open and jumped in with us and rode to the bar with us.

Played pick up ball with Dickerson, Terry, Edgerson in the SAC. Trung Candidate played with us too.

Good times.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Givony called him the best international prospect committed to play in college for this 2020 class...
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Merkin wrote:Choo correctly predicted this so long ago I had even forgot about it. Well done Choo, and thanks.
ChooChooCat wrote:Yeah guy jumped the gun a bit, but the ending will be the same regardless.
NickyBCats wrote:They just tweeted he committed again 10 minutes ago
Choo has really been supplying us with good info. Props to him.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Welcome Kerr! Nice to to see some good news for this program. Btw, I looked up Omar Thielemans stats and now I understand why he left, http://www.spctexans.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... _omar_h9ot" target="_blank.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Oh, okay. Thanks, choo! I don't remember this at all. He might be the one I confused for that hound with the handles and the shooting touch.

So Miller tapes together a tourney team for another year. We can go through the expectations, the setbacks, the growing pains, and the "would have won the conference if...", and then try our luck tourney. It might cohere and work in the end. Who knows?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Choose how do you feel about the Purdue big mama and do the Cats have a chance?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:Givony called him the best international prospect committed to play in college for this 2020 class...
You could easily argue the other Euro we're on is even better.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

PHXCATS wrote:Choose how do you feel about the Purdue big mama and do the Cats have a chance?
Kentucky.
prh

Post by prh »

Is there any idea how many years Kriisa plans on being here?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I trust Euros playing serious ball oversees more than AAU freshmen.

Am I wrong?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:Givony called him the best international prospect committed to play in college for this 2020 class...
You could easily argue the other Euro we're on is even better.
Have a feeling if we get the other Euro as well, we’re gonna be on the fringe of a lot of preseason top 25s but if you asked NBA Scouts, we would be a top 10ish team talent-wise.

Of course this past season, we could say the same (ie being a top 10 team talent-wise) and we underperformed to say the least, but still exciting to at least have a chance at being a really good team next year.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Alieberman wrote:I trust Euros playing serious ball oversees more than AAU freshmen.

Am I wrong?
Watching the highlight videos, thinking the same thing. Kerr is playing with men, instead of teens, along with having to play defense.