84Cat

Re: let's talk '20

Post by 84Cat »

dmjcat wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/B_IXwfoht7a/

Interesting jersey number he's chosen.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

So , can you wear a number that is in rafters?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Postmaster wrote:So , can you wear a number that is in rafters?
Arizona retires jerseys... not #s
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Wasn’t sure the guidelines, thanks.
I know basketball has a limited amount of numbers to use.
Something to do with refs
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

Postmaster wrote:Wasn’t sure the guidelines, thanks.

Yeah something to do with only having 5 fingers on each hand....
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

MountainCat wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Wasn’t sure the guidelines, thanks.

Yeah something to do with only having 5 fingers on each hand....
Something the NBA refs figured a way to get around, but college refs on the other hand...
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I wonder if he asked Kerr as a courtesy?

Like he said, he didn't even know Steve Kerr was a former Wildcat until after he committed.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:I wonder if he asked Kerr as a courtesy?

Like he said, he didn't even know Steve Kerr was a former Wildcat until after he committed.
He knew before that, he just didn't know until Arizona started recruiting him.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It’s gonna be fun beating ASU next season.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Looks like Rivals gave Kerr Kriisa 4* rating but no ranking yet

https://rivals.com/content/prospects/20 ... isa-268195" target="_blank

Bossi of Rivals said this

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com ... ho-s-next-" target="_blank

"On Saturday, Sean Miller and Arizona went the International route to score Kerr Kriisa, a point guard, to help replace freshman Nico Mannion who is headed to the NBA Draft.

I have never had the opportunity to see the native of Estonia in person. However, I have spent some time watching video of him and he looks like he has a chance to play big minutes. He'll need to get stronger and he's not a burner by any means, but he has reasonably good size at 6-foot-2 and looks to be a skilled passer. Most importantly, Kriisa looks to be a very dangerous jump shooter with range.

He's the third four-star in Arizona's 2020 recruiting class and the second international player. Canadian wing Ben Mathurin committed during the winter and in-state guard Dalen Terry signed early. They also landed Seattle U guard Terrell Brown as a grad transfer. As a group, they give the Wildcats the No. 17 ranked class in the team rankings."
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The roster debate shows just much losing a guy like Doutrive can be. It’s not that you lose him for one season, but also future seasons. Then you’re playing catch-up with recruiting and you have to hope the new guys coming in are already better than the guys departing. And that’s rarely the case because it takes a few years for most player to make an impact. Hence the need for OADs.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Hey CC, any timeline on when the next Euro commits or not?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:The roster debate shows just much losing a guy like Doutrive can be. It’s not that you lose him for one season, but also future seasons. Then you’re playing catch-up with recruiting and you have to hope the new guys coming in are already better than the guys departing. And that’s rarely the case because it takes a few years for most player to make an impact. Hence the need for OADs.
Totally, zg. Securing roster stability can feel like catching lightning in a bottle. But Miller makes it easier on himself when he recruits guys like Kriisa, who are likely to be at AZ for multiple seasons.

The OAD debate will go on forever. Some OADs will live up to their billing and make a huge impact (Ayton, Gordon, Markkanen); others will leave school without having made that impact (Simmons, Mannion, Jerrett). It'll be interesting to see what kind of impact Ziaire makes in his one season at Stanford.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I actually think we’ll have a solid team. Brown will be essentially a 3rd year player, a former McDonalds All-American. Between Kerr & Akinjo, that’s two solid, experienced guards. They’re not freshmen. Mathurin is going to be a pleasant surprise.
We will have a solid team.

That can compete for a 9 seed in the tourney.

Compete for the PAC title: no.

Be an 8th best program in the nation team: no.

No.

No.

Accept you are a fringe top 25 team. Or embrace getting rid of Sean.

Choice is yours. And all of ours.
Miller essentially had to rebuild from scratch thanks to the FBI/ESPN fiasco and also lost a key player (Williams) to build around. The roster is beginning to look like a long term commitment of players, which should stabilize things. You have no way of knowing how good next year’s team can become.

If you part ways with Miller now, which is probably too late, who do you expect to hire? I need specific names. You’re sending a message that 5 conference titles and 3 Elite 8s in 10 years isn’t good enough. You certainly won’t get a coach who has job security risk his career knowing the coach before him, with a winning percentage like Miller’s, was axed. Who are you gonna hire???
Who brought the FBI to us?

Who promised a new dawn after that?

Who failed to deliver that new dawn?

Who turned a top 8 program into a fringe top 25 one?

And then into a fringe tournament one?

And, as others have asked....on top of all that...who’s having fun?

Who would I hire? Get me out some darts, I’ll throw them randomly at some pictures. Pretty decent chance whoever I hit won’t do worse than turning the 8th best franchise into the 40th best.
Well love or hate Miller we are stuck with him for a couple more years it sounds like at the least. So you can either be a miserable fan, or you can support the coach and the teams we have in the mean time and hope for the best. This past season was up and down but I was pretty fired up after they beat Udub getting ready to roll into Las Vegas and root on the cats. It doesnt appear Miller has given up and I’m sure he wants to get to a final four more than anyone.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Dosia wrote:
SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
SCCats wrote:
zonagrad wrote:I actually think we’ll have a solid team. Brown will be essentially a 3rd year player, a former McDonalds All-American. Between Kerr & Akinjo, that’s two solid, experienced guards. They’re not freshmen. Mathurin is going to be a pleasant surprise.
We will have a solid team.

That can compete for a 9 seed in the tourney.

Compete for the PAC title: no.

Be an 8th best program in the nation team: no.

No.

No.

Accept you are a fringe top 25 team. Or embrace getting rid of Sean.

Choice is yours. And all of ours.
Miller essentially had to rebuild from scratch thanks to the FBI/ESPN fiasco and also lost a key player (Williams) to build around. The roster is beginning to look like a long term commitment of players, which should stabilize things. You have no way of knowing how good next year’s team can become.

If you part ways with Miller now, which is probably too late, who do you expect to hire? I need specific names. You’re sending a message that 5 conference titles and 3 Elite 8s in 10 years isn’t good enough. You certainly won’t get a coach who has job security risk his career knowing the coach before him, with a winning percentage like Miller’s, was axed. Who are you gonna hire???
Who brought the FBI to us?

Who promised a new dawn after that?

Who failed to deliver that new dawn?

Who turned a top 8 program into a fringe top 25 one?

And then into a fringe tournament one?

And, as others have asked....on top of all that...who’s having fun?

Who would I hire? Get me out some darts, I’ll throw them randomly at some pictures. Pretty decent chance whoever I hit won’t do worse than turning the 8th best franchise into the 40th best.
Well love or hate Miller we are stuck with him for a couple more years it sounds like at the least. So you can either be a miserable fan, or you can support the coach and the teams we have in the mean time and hope for the best. This past season was up and down but I was pretty fired up after they beat Udub getting ready to roll into Las Vegas and root on the cats. It doesnt appear Miller has given up and I’m sure he wants to get to a final four more than anyone.
This is where I’m at. I really like Miller. I think he’s had some bad luck and also is deserving of some criticism. But he’s also done a helluva job. I honestly think this past season we could’ve made some noise in the tournament. We’ll never know. I also like where the roster is going. The caveat is whether all of the guys coming in actually stay several years.

If the time comes when it’s time to part ways with Miller, I think it will be obvious. We’re not there yet (IMO). And I don’t think we ever will be.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

In theory these guys should stay for several years and grow with the program.

That theory has not been very reliable as of late, I have seen this story before and will not believe anyone on this roster will be here multiple years until they are. The same theory would have said these guys would have been here for several years:

Elliott Pitts
Craig Victor
Justin Simon
Chance Comanche
Lauri Markkanen (Only one on the list that exceeded expectations)
Brandon Randolph
Emmanual Akot
Alex Barcello
Brandon Williams
Devonaire Doutrive
Omar Theilemans (LOL)

That is 10 guys in the last 5 classes (11 in 6 years) that I would have expected to stay multiple years when they committed to the team that did not, in that same time frame only 3 guys I would have expected to stay multiple years actually did (Ira, PJC, Dusan). That is far from a good return, with that rate of attrition I would not be surprised if only one guy actually spends more than one year in an Arizona uniform.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

gronk4heisman wrote:In theory these guys should stay for several years and grow with the program.

That theory has not been very reliable as of late, I have seen this story before and will not believe anyone on this roster will be here multiple years until they are. The same theory would have said these guys would have been here for several years:

Elliott Pitts
Craig Victor
Justin Simon
Chance Comanche
Brandon Randolph
Emmanual Akot
Alex Barcello
Brandon Williams
Devonaire Doutrive
Omar Theilemans (LOL)

That is 10 guys in the last 5 classes (11 in 6 years) that I would have expected to stay multiple years when they committed to the team that did not, in that same time frame only 3 guys I would have expected to stay multiple years actually did (Ira, PJC, Dusan). That is far from a good return, with that rate of attrition I would not be surprised if only one guy actually spends more than one year in an Arizona uniform.

Just shows how much marginal players hate Sean Miller, although the Pitts case was different.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

gronk4heisman wrote:In theory these guys should stay for several years and grow with the program.

Elliott Pitts
Craig Victor
Justin Simon
Chance Comanche
Brandon Randolph
Emmanual Akot
Alex Barcello
Brandon Williams
Devonaire Doutrive
Omar Theilemans (LOL)

Great. Now do Oregon. Or Kentucky. A ton of players transfer every year. Every player listed thought they were a better play than they really were or thought they were deserving of playing time they didn’t earn. Some of them fucked themselves by leaving early or transferring. Is Miller supposed to be a mind reader? All of them would have been better off staying at Arizona.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:

Elliott Pitts
Craig Victor
Justin Simon
Chance Comanche
Brandon Randolph
Emmanual Akot
Alex Barcello
Brandon Williams
Devonaire Doutrive
Omar Theilemans (LOL)

Just shows how much marginal players hate Sean Miller, although the Pitts case was different.
The Brandon Williams inclusion also makes no sense.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

zonagrad wrote:
Dosia wrote:
This is where I’m at. I really like Miller. I think he’s had some bad luck and also is deserving of some criticism. But he’s also done a helluva job. I honestly think this past season we could’ve made some noise in the tournament. We’ll never know. I also like where the roster is going. The caveat is whether all of the guys coming in actually stay several years.

If the time comes when it’s time to part ways with Miller, I think it will be obvious. We’re not there yet (IMO). And I don’t think we ever will be.
This is where I am, too, but it doesn't make any of us right.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Matt Haarms narrowed it to 3 and we aren't one of those 3. Euro big or bust for us.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I thought it was us Kentucky and zags? Who is the third team for him?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

azcat49 wrote:I thought it was us Kentucky and zags? Who is the third team for him?

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:Matt Haarms narrowed it to 3 and we aren't one of those 3. Euro big or bust for us.
Choo - for the euro big, it's either us or pro, right? I'm perfectly fine losing Haarms if we get him, but that's a significant if.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Matt Haarms narrowed it to 3 and we aren't one of those 3. Euro big or bust for us.
Choo - for the euro big, it's either us or pro, right? I'm perfectly fine losing Haarms if we get him, but that's a significant if.
As far as I know, yup.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

UAEebs86 wrote:
azcat49 wrote:I thought it was us Kentucky and zags? Who is the third team for him?

It's gotta be Kentucky.
prh

Post by prh »

Kinda seemed like it was Kentucky all along, yeah? They lost like 98% of their scoring. Why not go there as a proven grad transfer and enjoy that for a year.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
As far as I know, yup.
Assuming he does come to Arizona, is he viewed as a one and done or is it to early to say?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Choo - Can you speak to play style of the Euro Big? Is he a stretch 4/5 (Lauri, Frye (NBA)), low post scorer (Zeke, Jordan Hill), defensive protetector (Koloko, Loren Woods), a high energy workhorse (Ira, Edgerson) or just a freak (Ayton)?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Dosia wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
As far as I know, yup.
Assuming he does come to Arizona, is he viewed as a one and done or is it to early to say?
Apparently we're losing him too lol
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

gronk4heisman wrote:Choo - Can you speak to play style of the Euro Big? Is he a stretch 4/5 (Lauri, Frye (NBA)), low post scorer (Zeke, Jordan Hill), defensive protetector (Koloko, Loren Woods), a high energy workhorse (Ira, Edgerson) or just a freak (Ayton)?
Feels more like a bit bigger, bit more ready Ivan Radenovic? Or a Soph/Junior version of Ivan? Who was underrated, so maybe I am overrating this new guy.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Not talking about this dude any more guys. I'll let you know where things are when I can.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ChooChooCat wrote:Not talking about this dude any more guys. I'll let you know where things are when I can.
Ok.

How about now?

:D
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

gronk4heisman wrote:Choo - Can you speak to play style of the Euro Big? Is he a stretch 4/5 (Lauri, Frye (NBA)), low post scorer (Zeke, Jordan Hill), defensive protetector (Koloko, Loren Woods), a high energy workhorse (Ira, Edgerson) or just a freak (Ayton)?
reminds me of zach collins (gonzaga). prob a little better handle and a worse shooter
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I know things about the Parthenon I'm not sharing with any of you.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:I know things about the Parthenon I'm not sharing with any of you.
Is it "the best place to take a dump in the Parthenon"?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

azgreg wrote:
Longhorned wrote:I know things about the Parthenon I'm not sharing with any of you.
Is it "the best place to take a dump in the Parthenon"?
That was published in 485/4 BCE in a beautifully chiseled inscription (IG I3 4): μεδ᾽ἀνὰ πᾶν τὸ ἑ κατομπέδον μεδ᾽ ὄντηοω ἐγβαλῆν.
[it is forbidden] to dump excrement ... inside the Hekatompedon (Parthenon).
I'm not even joking.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is it Kyril’s little brother?
He had sweet dance moves on the bench.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Postmaster wrote:Is it Kyril’s little brother?
He had sweet dance moves on the bench.
Kyril was quite possibly the worst scholarship player recruited under Miller. Andrew Zahn arguably Lute’s worst.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Looked pretty good in the U16s, although the competition looked pretty weak.

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Is that Choos euro guy?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

That kid looks like he needs to start downing some American cheeseburgers
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Don’t think that’s him
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Postmaster wrote:Is that Choos euro guy?
No. His name has been outed unfortunately but it's not this guy. Other guy is far better.

Although I really like this guy, stretch 4 who's a hybrid 3/4.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

No.

He's a solid combo forward that needs to add strength, good developmental piece who can really shoot it.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Alieberman wrote:That kid looks like he needs to start downing some American cheeseburgers
No kidding. Only international player with that slim a build AZ played right away was Radenovic. And if you forget Ivan's first year in Tucson, he was incredibly raw, with terrible shot selection--much less any ability to hang on the boards.

This kid would need at least a redshirt year to bulk up, assuming we don't have another exodus of college players to the G League under another rule change.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
No.

He's a solid combo forward that needs to add strength, good developmental piece who can really shoot it.
Hope we're pitching him as a redshirt candidate, he needs to add a whole lot of strength. Like the offer though a lot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

catgrad97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:That kid looks like he needs to start downing some American cheeseburgers
No kidding. Only international player with that slim a build AZ played right away was Radenovic. And if you forget Ivan's first year in Tucson, he was incredibly raw, with terrible shot selection--much less any ability to hang on the boards.

This kid would need at least a redshirt year to bulk up, assuming we don't have another exodus of college players to the G League under another rule change.
FWIW he's played in the states the last two years of HS.