let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

RondaeShimmy

Re: let's talk '20

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Dosia wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Scheer just said other schools getting involved doesn’t help with the delay.
That's what happens when people can't keep their mouths shut.
Well that is kinda on Scheer then if true because he was the one saying it’s more likely than not to add this kid and spun the board up again talking about additions to the recruiting class.
His name leaked well before Scheer said any of that. Scheer making that statement isn't the problem.
Yeah but he made it seem like it was more likely than not he was going to be an addition to the class just like a week ago, and happening "soon."

This was 3-4 weeks after he had said that his name being outed hurt Arizona. That was when he said it was either Arizona or becoming a professional. But then all of sudden he was likely to commit.

That hasn't really happened and now is going to be delayed? Honestly if he's listening to other schools that means he's leaning less toward pro ball which is a benefit to Arizona.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Chicat wrote: Having been a mod both on premium and the free boards at GoAZCats, I can tell you definitively that when subscription revenue is at the heart of what you do, it's extremely hard to control the idiots.
I was gifted a year subscription over at Scheer's site by a great guy who also posts here quite often. It was a very kind gesture and I went over and even posted for couple weeks.... but that's all I could take. I would check out some content from time to time but the people who post there are just awful. I mean really, really, awful. And I have nothing against Scheer and wish them nothing but the best.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Alieberman wrote:
Chicat wrote: Having been a mod both on premium and the free boards at GoAZCats, I can tell you definitively that when subscription revenue is at the heart of what you do, it's extremely hard to control the idiots.
I was gifted a year subscription over at Scheer's site by a great guy who also posts here quite often. It was a very kind gesture and I went over and even posted for couple weeks.... but that's all I could take. I would check out some content from time to time but the people who post there are just awful. I mean really, really, awful. And I have nothing against Scheer and wish them nothing but the best.

And that's after he got rid of the non-sports/political forums because of the batshit crazy posters there, right?

I quit over a year ago and nothing posted here makes me want to go back.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
eoe

Post by eoe »

UAEebs86 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:

And that's after he got rid of the non-sports/political forums because of the batshit crazy posters there, right?

I quit over a year ago and nothing posted here makes me want to go back.
No joke

Did a week again hoping I could capture some semblance of the GoAzCats/Arizona Scout days...woof. Over-bearing is an understatement
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I just st dislike the website.
Constantly loading and every other post is for members only.
I can get past Box and One, or whatever his name is. But I can’t even get into content because of the way the site functions.

Was the secrecy of his name just to keep other schools away?
Or was it a secret that AZ was recruiting him in addition to others?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Dosia wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
NickyBCats wrote:Scheer just said other schools getting involved doesn’t help with the delay.
That's what happens when people can't keep their mouths shut.
Well that is kinda on Scheer then if true because he was the one saying it’s more likely than not to add this kid and spun the board up again talking about additions to the recruiting class.
His name leaked well before Scheer said any of that. Scheer making that statement isn't the problem.
Yeah but he made it seem like it was more likely than not he was going to be an addition to the class just like a week ago, and happening "soon."

This was 3-4 weeks after he had said that his name being outed hurt Arizona. That was when he said it was either Arizona or becoming a professional. But then all of sudden he was likely to commit.

That hasn't really happened and now is going to be delayed? Honestly if he's listening to other schools that means he's leaning less toward pro ball which is a benefit to Arizona.
Regardless I think we land him, the longer it goes though the more questionable that becomes.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

So are we telling him we don’t want to take the risk?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Reads like he is going pro, probably overseas since I doubt he could pass a physical too go to the G league.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He truly has no business playing basketball again.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Thx Choo, makes sense. Not sure why a pro team would take that roster risk and pay him?
Last edited by azcat49 on Mon May 18, 2020 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

ChooChooCat wrote:He truly has no business playing basketball again.
As someone who has had classes with Brandon and has a few mutual friends I can say he'll tell you otherwise, but I completely agree with you Choo. Knee injuries are always nagging injuries and anymore wear and tear and I'm not sure what will be left of his knee. His knee has been in a pretty bad position since high school. I know he's very dedicated, and truly loves the game, but his knee is not where it should be and I think any level of playing can severely set him back for a very long time.
I said what I said and I mean it.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

You'd think he'd learn from Ray Smith, but I guess he'd rather keep being injured until he learns his lesson. Sad.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
prh

Post by prh »

Isn't he looking at having Brandon Roy knees the rest of his life? That would scare the shit out of me. Get a degree, maybe go into coaching, idk. But not being able to walk at 26 is not worth it.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

ChooChooCat wrote: Regardless I think we land him, the longer it goes though the more questionable that becomes.
What do you consider longer, is that like a week more or a couple more weeks.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: Regardless I think we land him, the longer it goes though the more questionable that becomes.
What do you consider longer, is that like a week more or a couple more weeks.
Tomorrow, the day after that, and so on. He was pretty much wrapped up, so the longer you go without that formal commitment the more shakier it gets. Look no further than the Kerwin Walton recruitment.
BeardownZonaZona

Scheer went on 1290 today and talked for a brief moment about this guy we're in on today. From what I took out of it is it's still really between us and signing with his pro ball team. He mentioned other teams are interested but he's only interested in playing here or with his team back in Europe. He also mentioned he's in no rush to make a decision due to the current pandemic. So I guess it was kinda good news, but we're not sure when he will come to a decision. Miller is a great recruiter so I have confidence in him
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:He also mentioned he's in no rush to make a decision due to the current pandemic.

Makes sense. I've been wondering if these Euro kids will even be able to travel over here if they want.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
BeardownZonaZona

UAEebs86 wrote:
BeardownZonaZona wrote:He also mentioned he's in no rush to make a decision due to the current pandemic.

Makes sense. I've been wondering if these Euro kids will even be able to travel over here if they want.
He also discussed this. He said the athletic department has been working out VISA's for all international athletes across all programs. But he also mentioned there's no rush to do so as its still up in the air when teams will begin their practices. Every country has its own travel initiatives in place. We'll see. It's a shame there won't Woodman and Luke on 1290 for a couple weeks. Them and Scheer (When he comes on) always have good information on their show
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Team activities are going to end up starting June 1st. I doubt there are going to be any issues on the front of getting these guys on campus.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

When discussing the trajectory of Arizona basketball the last 2 to 3 years, the impact of the really unprecedented losses of Brandon Williams and Ray Smith cannot be overstated. You add losing these two talented and bright kids to the rest of the stew of shit brought on by the FBI and ESPN situations...it's been a lot.

Watched the 2013 win over Duke again last night on YouTube...we were 4 years into the new program, and early in year 5, we had our best team since 2001, were beating Duke for the 2nd time in two tries in the Miller era, and the sky was the limit. If Bash doesn't get hurt, etc, etc...I mean, we were right there...you could taste it. We were back, and as good as ever. And in record time from the debacle of the Lute hokey-pokey.

Shit.

(I had conveniently forgot we were down 19 to Drexel in the NIT semi's before coming back to set up that "Aaron Gordon vs Jabari Parker" final).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:
When discussing the trajectory of Arizona basketball the last 2 to 3 years, the impact of the really unprecedented losses of Brandon Williams and Ray Smith cannot be overstated. You add losing these two talented and bright kids to the rest of the stew of shit brought on by the FBI and ESPN situations...it's been a lot.

Watched the 2013 win over Duke again last night on YouTube...we were 4 years into the new program, and early in year 5, we had our best team since 2001, were beating Duke for the 2nd time in two tries in the Miller era, and the sky was the limit. If Bash doesn't get hurt, etc, etc...I mean, we were right there...you could taste it. We were back, and as good as ever. And in record time from the debacle of the Lute hokey-pokey.

Shit.

(I had conveniently forgot we were down 19 to Drexel in the NIT semi's before coming back to set up that "Aaron Gordon vs Jabari Parker" final).
Oh yeah. 5 years into the Miller era I was telling friends and family we'd found Lute 2.0

It's normal for a program to have setbacks, but it feels like we've had more than other programs.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Looks like we got the Euro big and his twin brother committed

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... in-brother" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Lol probably jumped the gun just a bit, but yeah it's happening.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Miller putting in work
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
BeardownZonaZona

Ever since I first watched his highlights I've been very big on him. My question is what do we think of the brother? I haven't seen too much on him. I know he's a wing but how do we think he'll do?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Nice! Just from those highlights, I hope we play some PnR since he looks really good finishing around the rim. Add in an elbow jumper and he'll be very dangerous.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote:Ever since I first watched his highlights I've been very big on him. My question is what do we think of the brother? I haven't seen too much on him. I know he's a wing but how do we think he'll do?
I think he'll be a great teammate.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Based on these recent developments, we can make a mini run next year. Sweet sixteen definitely in our sights (if not further), we'll be ranked as well. I really like Tubelis' game, if we get the five stars I hope we get next year, we'll have a FF quality team.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Jack Murphy deserves a ton of credit with all the Euros

Dude has been working
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Looks like we got the Euro big and his twin brother committed

Official now
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed May 27, 2020 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Official.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Looks like we got the Euro big and his twin brother committed

Official now
We posted at the same time, roshambo for who officially broke the "official" news? Lol
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed May 27, 2020 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

When does the first article hit about Arizona having the best recruiting class in the PAC?
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Just in case there's any question, he starts day 1 at the 4 and is a one and done candidate.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Move over Evan Mobley, Josh Christopher and Zaire Williams, Tubelis is gonna make a push to take over Zeke's accolades from last year.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Well done Miller and company.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Amazing class considering what many thought was going to happen.

As far as expectations, does anyone still remember the glory the class of Nico, Zeke and Josh brought us?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Arizona is the new Gonzaga.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:Amazing class considering what many thought was going to happen.

As far as expectations, does anyone still remember the glory the class of Nico, Zeke and Josh brought us?
Yeah the fruits of this class may not come to fruition until the 2021-2022 season, but we went from a fringe tourney possibility to guaranteed making the tourney next season.
BeardownZonaZona

Alieberman wrote:Amazing class considering what many thought was going to happen.

I think the issue with that team was that Nico was the only facilitator on the team. When he was off the court our offense looked way different, and not in a good way. We needed another true point guard and an older scorer they could lean on like what Doutrieve should've been
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah the fruits of this class may not come to fruition until the 2021-2022 season, but we went from a fringe tourney possibility to guaranteed making the tourney next season.
And I'm not crapping on this class at all. I love it.

I just don't trust freshmen.... no matter how many stars are next to their names.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I just don't trust freshmen.... no matter how many stars are next to their names.
This is a transition year just like last year was, Arizona will make the tournament but won't be a top seed.

Unlike last year, Arizona had nothing to build off of last year because the 3 most important parts of the team all left after one year. Arizona has nothing to show from last year, probably only Koloko.

This year's team will be similar in wins imo but will build off that the following years because there isn't multiple for sure one and dones (if they do Arizona as a whole will be better and so be it).
The whole core will likely be back and they'll get experience in the NCAA tournament to make a more serious run the following year. And maybe just maybe a Jr Akinjo can lead this team further than a Fr Mannion this year.
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Wed May 27, 2020 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Alieberman wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I'm with you man, the good thing about Azuolas and Kerr are they have been playing against pros. Their main transition issue will be more to college bball, but these two have gone up against men daily and have played very very well.

Mathurin is still the highest ceiling guy in this class and ultimately could be the best pro with further development and at the rate he's improving I'd bet on him reaching those heights.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

How long do we wait until the new kids are rated?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

We have a lot of new faces and it could take some time to get some team chemistry. But damn, this is not an inexperienced team. Akinjo, Brown and our Euros give us some serious seasoned players. I hope everyone keeps sleeping on us, until we start making noise in December.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

azgreg wrote:How long do we wait until the new kids are rated?
This has been in the works for awhile and the 247 guys have known about it. Don't think it'll take as long as it did for the more recent guys. I'd expect Azuolas in the top 25ish range. His brother maybe a 3 star?
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »