let's talk '20

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: let's talk '20

Post by Beachcat97 »

goslingswagg wrote:That being said, I still have to be in “I’ll believe it when I see it” mode with Miller when it comes to on-court success. Compete for a PAC12 title, get to a Sweet 16, and I’ll be all in for the 2021-2022 season.
Three Elite Eights, five Pac titles, and three Pac tourney titles in 11 seasons. I know his teams have underachieved in recent seasons, but the on-court success is very much part of his tenure at AZ. It's undeniable. Fight me.

Does this mean "it's all good"? Not exactly. This past season and the Ayton season were really tough pills to swallow. The talent on the roster just didn't seem to match the on-court success, so that's troubling. But Miller has earned the benefit of our doubts, at least for another year or two. He deserves a chance to turn things around.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Azuolas Tubelis has been ranked #54 by 247, sort of surprising tbh.

https://247sports.com/Player/Azuolas-Tubelis-46101242/" target="_blank

Thought for sure he was going to be borderline 5*/high 4*
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Azuolas Tubelis has been ranked #54 by 247, sort of surprising tbh.

Lauri was a 4 star and was ranked 36 for context
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

84Cat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:Azuolas Tubelis has been ranked #54 by 247, sort of surprising tbh.

Lauri was ranked #16 by 247. The #36 is the composite because no other recruiting service ranked him and didn't evaluate him, only gave him 4*s.

https://247sports.com/Player/Lauri-Mark ... ol-147363/" target="_blank

Azuolas brother only managed to get a 2* rating. I've personally never seen one.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Lauri was ranked #16 by 247. The #36 is the composite because no other recruiting service ranked him and didn't evaluate him, only gave him 4*s.

Well then 54 seems a little low for a OAD
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Lauri was definitely underrated, then. Name 10 guys better from his class.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

There's been tons of blowback from the FBI mess and I think it's filtered into the recruiting rankings. Just for comparison, Zeke was better than Matthew Hurt, Jeremiah Robinson Earl and Armando Bacot, yet was never selected for the McD's All American game nor was he designated a five star. Before we snagged Tubelis, I watched tons of tape of him and was convinced (and still am) that he is a consensus five star. No question.

With the exception of Jalen Suggs, he would be the best player on Gonzaga's team if they picked him up. Tubelis is better than Oumar Ballo, who was rated a five star and Petrusev, who many think will be a NPOY candidate next year. Also, I believe that Kriisa is better than his ranking as well, unfortunately the ranking people have been quite bearish on our guys lately. I've watched the other five star guys, especially in our conference and he stacks just as well or better than any of them. He's a stud, and I'm very picky with players. I never thought we would get him.

All things considered, this will be one of Miller's most balanced squads he's ever had. If they play vintage Miller defense, and the chemistry is there (which Terry will help with tremendously), I could see us surprising a lot people next year.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Great post, Rawle.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:That being said, I still have to be in “I’ll believe it when I see it” mode with Miller when it comes to on-court success.
moving forward, as an Arizona fan, until Miller can pierce the starfish, this is a totally understandable and reasonable space to reside in and further, probably sound thinking all-together, imnsho.
Nah, I'm all in on Miller...always have been from the first presser.

Grass ain't greener imnsho.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

247 has our guys ranked as the following:

44. Dalen Terry
50. Bennedict Mathurin
54. Azuolas Tubelis
64. Kerr Kriisa
104. Daniel Batcho
122. Tibet Gorener
494. Tautvilas Tubelis
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu May 28, 2020 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

If these recruits show up to campus they better be prepared to join Sean Miller in cleaning the toilets and mopping the floors in the locker room. The university is fucked. To avoid exigency, just about everyone who isn't in administration, actively teaching classes, or in a "continued status" position will be gone. Wave at the tenured professors mowing the grass on the Mall, and the deans picking up trash.

I doubt any flagship public R1 in the country is as bad off as the U of A.
Last edited by Longhorned on Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

84Cat wrote:
RondaeShimmy wrote:
84Cat wrote:

Well then 54 seems a little low for a OAD
Yeah I don't think he's a OAD even before the ranking came out. He has to work on his shot big time imo. He shot 59% last year from the free throw line.

All his evaluations have said multi-year guy.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Feels like more losses than is survivable in a decision year.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

SCCats wrote:Feels like more losses than is survivable in a decision year.
I think the exact opposite. What CSM (Murphy) has done is solidified a legit chance at the PAC12 and tournament appearance. Add in JET with a 2 year deal and pretty sure CSM is a lock for some kind of extension.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He'll make the tourney with this team next year and with numerous returnees, he'll get an extension.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Longhorned wrote:If these recruits show up to campus they better be prepared to join Sean Miller in cleaning the toilets and mopping the floors in the locker room. The university is fucked. To avoid exigency, just about everyone who isn't in administration, actively teaching classes, or in a "continued status" position will be gone. Wave at the tenured professors mowing the grass on the Mall, and the deans picking up trash.

Isn’t the athletic dept more autonomous since it’s self funded?
And why are the schools hurting so much? I didn’t get a refund for all the on -campus stuff they charge you for.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Olsondogg wrote: Nah, I'm all in on Miller...always have been from the first presser.

im not saying to get rid of Miller, far from it, but the results on the floor have been the results - lots of really, really good and some really really bad.

its ok to to be uncertain about next year at this stage, but Sean Miller can still recruit.

thats the takeaway for me
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote: Nah, I'm all in on Miller...always have been from the first presser.

im not saying to get rid of Miller, far from it, but the results on the floor have been the results - lots of really, really good and some really really bad.

its ok to to be uncertain about next year at this stage, but Sean Miller can still recruit.

thats the takeaway for me
Respectfully, outside of just a few coaches...the bolded could define almost any top coach.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Postmaster wrote:
Longhorned wrote:If these recruits show up to campus they better be prepared to join Sean Miller in cleaning the toilets and mopping the floors in the locker room. The university is fucked. To avoid exigency, just about everyone who isn't in administration, actively teaching classes, or in a "continued status" position will be gone. Wave at the tenured professors mowing the grass on the Mall, and the deans picking up trash.

And why are the schools hurting so much? I didn’t get a refund for all the on -campus stuff they charge you for.
In our normal thinking, yes. But in a way you wouldn't think of in a university with such severe financial problems, you suddenly realize that, no, in fact they bleed over to one another. When Sean Miller gets a hornet nest in his office window, a support staff member calls facilities management, which sends a campus-employed crew to blast insect poison on the situation. There isn't one crew who exterminates coaches' offices, and another crew who exterminates hornets nests across the street at the library.

Add that to the fact that athletics programs depend on basketball and football revenues, what happens when there aren't any ticket sales?

"What? Is this guy actually suggesting that university might not be able to employ its necessary manual laborers anymore?"

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Mass layoffs that will ripple through Tucson. On top of the substantial pay cut forced on those who will stay in their jobs. And that's regardless of whether the fall re-entry plan works or not. If in-person classes aren't held in the fall, I doubt we'll see even the hornet-blaster dudes.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Just read that they are looking into selling the campus farm
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

84Cat wrote:Just read that they are looking into selling the campus farm
And they should have sold the campus parking garages and lots years ago.

I'm completely lost when it comes to aligning these possibilities of incoming recruits and a basketball season with the reality of what's happening. The depth of the problem isn't transparent, but however deep, it's so far beyond grave.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
Postmaster wrote:

In our normal thinking, yes. But in a way you wouldn't think of in a university with such severe financial problems, you suddenly realize that, no, in fact they bleed over to one another. When Sean Miller gets a hornet nest in his office window, a support staff member calls facilities management, which sends a campus-employed crew to blast insect poison on the situation. There isn't one crew who exterminates coaches' offices, and another crew who exterminates hornets nests across the street at the library.

Add that to the fact that athletics programs depend on basketball and football revenues, what happens when there aren't any ticket sales?

"What? Is this guy actually suggesting that university might not be able to employ its necessary manual laborers anymore?"

Yes, that's what I'm suggesting. Mass layoffs that will ripple through Tucson. On top of the substantial pay cut forced on those who will stay in their jobs. And that's regardless of whether the fall re-entry plan works or not. If in-person classes aren't held in the fall, I doubt we'll see even the hornet-blaster dudes.
Besides all that Mrs. Lincoln, how did you enjoy the play?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Nice to see Arizona quietly secure a top-five class, at least according to 247. Not sure if this unique class (3 or 4 international players) represents a shift in philosophy or was put together out of desperation, but the nice thing is that there is a prospect of a number of these players sticking around for more than one year so that there is experience and depth moving forward.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Woh link? They just took over the Al Marah Arabian Horse Ranch off Bear Canyon last year
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

midnightx wrote:Nice to see Arizona quietly secure a top-five class, at least according to 247. Not sure if this unique class (3 or 4 international players) represents a shift in philosophy or was put together out of desperation, but the nice thing is that there is a prospect of a number of these players sticking around for more than one year so that there is experience and depth moving forward.
It's actually 6 international recruits. Terry is the only American kid.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe wrote:
Woh link? They just took over the Al Marah Arabian Horse Ranch off Bear Canyon last year
It was being discussed in our neighborhood Nextdoor app but here is a link I found

https://blogforarizona.net/will-uarizon ... ends-meet/" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Found this new highlight reel of Kriisa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93QZFVVJvRk" target="_blank
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote:Found this new highlight reel of Kriisa.

Starting over TBrown by conference season.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

If it's up to me it'd be well before that.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:

Miller is a Nõid.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Looking at these highlights Kriisa strikes me as an Estonian version of Peyton Pritchard
loomer

Post by loomer »

Reminds me of Kevin Pangos.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Kind of an odd shooting form.
Even stranger music
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

:?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

The thing that caught my eye was not Terry wanting to be OAD but the NCAA charging agents 150K to be "approved",. Those MF'ers are as corrupt as politicians
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Hopes to be is fine. Will be no matter what is not.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

PHXCATS wrote:Hopes to be is fine. Will be no matter what is not.
Is your translator here?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Not impressed.

Even Stanley Johnson knew what not to say.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Pit stop U
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Hopes to be is fine. Will be no matter what is not.
Is your translator here?
Every play should strive to be a one and done. That means they excel and develop well.

But when you go into it determined to be a one and done and leave even when it is not in your best interest, that is an issue.

Nothing wrong with striving to be a one and done.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
prh

Post by prh »

Yes I believe he can make me a better player all around the game of basketball to help me fulfill my dreams.

In college I want to win a National Championship and become a one-and-done prospect
I don't see any reason to get upset with that quote. That would be like someone going to med school saying they want to be top of their class and go to a top destination. It doesn't sound great to us as fans, but it's a reasonable thing for a player to think.

And complaining about our program on this? Stupid. He discusses how Sean can develop him and help him fulfill his dreams. If he actually becomes a OAD, then that would back that up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

He wants to become a OAD prospect. He didn't say he for sure is one. If he can pull that off we'll be better than we thought.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

You don't say you want to be one-and-done. If you are one-and-done, you don't say it. If you aren't and you're hoping you're going to be good enough to be one-and-done, it's like taking a new sales job and telling your boss, "I hope I sell so many units, you never ask why I spend so much time with your technically adult children, and then I throw them into a duck pond and marry a bunch of other people."
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

The biggest disappointment I have with what Dalen said is not that he wants to be a one and done, it is that feeling it gives me (which we have seen way to much recently) that if he perceives he is not being showcased how he wants he will be quick to leave either through transfer or to the G League/Overseas.
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

I cannot think of any student who would not drop out of college to make $500K per year to play basketball all day.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Ned Zissou wrote:I cannot think of any student who would not drop out of college to make $500K per year to play basketball all day.
Soloman Hill played 4 years and makes $12 million/year. How much is Grant Jarrett making? How about Stanley Johnson? Crazy that TJ & Stanley make about the same amount of money now
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Most of you on this very message board as adults have typed things that were way more idiotic than that. For fucks sake, who cares what an 18 year old said he hopes to be.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Most of you on this very message board as adults have typed things that were way more idiotic than that. For fucks sake, who cares what an 18 year old said he hopes to be.
Well, who cares what people on this board say about what a prospect says? (Oops, did I just care what someone says about what someone else says about what a prospect says?)