Despite Xavier's defense did we come in too confident?

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

dpy

Despite Xavier's defense did we come in too confident?

Post by dpy »

Unfortunately I witnessed the loss in person and I have to admit that I came in really confident. I sensed it from every other Arizona fan there to. It was like ok, we are waiting for you to pull away so we can get to the Elite 8, what is this nonsense? All the energy was in favor of Xavier and their fans were a lot louder. I even heard their fans after the game saying they couldn't believe they had won. It was a game for them to enjoy.

When Arizona got the 8 point lead with 3 minutes left it was like finally. I wasn't even upset after they blew it and lost because I never felt we had control. If we had to do it all over again I know we would have beat Xavier. It felt worse seeing them lose by a lot to Gonzaga because I know that should've been us. I saved money but I really felt like shit not being their on Saturday. Glad it's over, last week sucked.
Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Despite Xavier's defense did we come in too confident?

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

This year and last year were definitely the worst two years of the Sean Miller / Arizona NCAA Tourney era IMHO.....just completely under-whelming and he was out-coached. He did a hell of a job in the regular season and P12 Tourney but just crapped the bed in the Tourney this year.

Still need more time to get over it.....first time I've ever been critical of CSM in his whole tenure at the U of A. BTFD and can't wait to get this tourney over with.....

What a bummer that you had to witness this in person with how much superior talent we had vs an inferior Xavier team....
gumby

Post by gumby »

I would say the opposite. Didn't come in confident enough. Miller said the same. Team didn't have the confidence to attack the defense. When teams don't trust what they do, they free lance. And guys like LM don't see the ball. Meanwhile, X just kept running their stuff.
Right where I want to be.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

gumby wrote:I would say the opposite. Didn't come in confident enough. Miller said the same. Team didn't have the confidence to attack the defense. When teams don't trust what they do, they free lance. And guys like LM don't see the ball. Meanwhile, X just kept running their stuff.
I guess you could say that Xavier came in and "did what they do"... and we did not.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I don't think so. I think we never had players who were great shooters or who could create their own shots. We also badly needed a true swingman like a Ray Smith who could get into the lane but still shoot over defenders. Our perimeter players could get into the lane but couldn't create a shot. Kadeem's foul trouble didn't help and added to the offensive frustration and people settling for shots. Allen showed a penchant for keeping his dribble alive and getting into the lane on the baseline and scoring, especially against St. Mary's. And aside from Lauri, who was great inside & out, our post players were very limited. We didn't have a very versatile team IMO. And if we got cold on the perimeter with the open looks, we had trouble scoring. Plus, Xavier pretty much played the game of their lives. Blueitt was unconscious in the first half and Brand was 3-3 from 3pt. range...with huge shots coming in the second half. If we play Xavier ten times, we'd win 9 of them.
Dave

Post by Dave »

I have no idea what the mindset was of the team, but the local radio guys gave Xavier no chance. This made me very nervous.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote: If we play Xavier ten times, we'd win 9 of them.
Bingo. The NCAA tournament is a cruel cruel mistress.

East Tennessee State, Santa Clara, etc., etc., had no business beating us, but one loss and you're done tournament is a one loss and you're done tournament.