2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2017-2018 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I hope this team figures it out defensively. Still way too many head scratching defensive trips.
Sean thought the d was better. Very few blown assignments. They only scored 53
Gradual improvement is where it's at. We're not going to immediately become a defensive powerhouse, but as the players learn the system and Alkins is reintegrated, if we continue getting better game to game, things can be good.

I thought last night was a step in a positive direction.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Overall I agree, but I watched Ristic and he still hesitates like a deer in the headlights...

If we had been playing ASU his guy woulda scored another 12 points at least from three...

My only hope with Ristic in the game is we employ ASU tactics against them an simply score more since he is always going to be the last guy to cover his man.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

qwertyus wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:I hope this team figures it out defensively. Still way too many head scratching defensive trips.
8/27 from 3.

81 total shots.

And they scored a grand total of 53 points, with three 3's in garbage time.

I mean, not perfect, but against a team without size that passes extremely well, we looked pretty good for long stretches.
That was the big stat for me. We've struggled guarding the 3, which is particularly bad because it's supposed to be a packline strength. We performed well in that area, which is a good sign, albeit against lower level competition.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:
Gradual improvement is where it's at. We're not going to immediately become a defensive powerhouse, but as the players learn the system and Alkins is reintegrated, if we continue getting better game to game, things can be good.

I agree it was a positive step in the right direction. This team seems to lack communication on the defensive end.... picking up in transition, ball screens, switching/not switching, etc.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
84Cat wrote:

I agree it was a positive step in the right direction. This team seems to lack communication on the defensive end.... picking up in transition, ball screens, switching/not switching, etc.
See, that's a reason I am semi-positive. Some of our biggest flaws are also issues you would expect to improve over time. The further we get into the season, the better our defensive rotations and execution should be.

We have a higher ceiling if the issues are execution, and right now, I'd think we have a real shot to be a top 20 D if we can solve our execution issues.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

The defense took a step back til it hit the 24-22 mark. They may have had one bucket over the next 10 minutes after that. Rawle and Ayton switched on multiple ball screens 8-)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:The defense took a step back til it hit the 24-22 mark. They may have had one bucket over the next 10 minutes after that. Rawle and Ayton switched on multiple ball screens 8-)
That sort of spurty stuff is usually how progress happens. Becoming consistent and not having lapses is when you get towards the final product.

Fwiw, we ticked upwards back into the 50's in AdjD after NDSU. So statistically it does bear out that we made some progress.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:The defense took a step back til it hit the 24-22 mark. They may have had one bucket over the next 10 minutes after that. Rawle and Ayton switched on multiple ball screens 8-)
That sort of spurty stuff is usually how progress happens. Becoming consistent and not having lapses is when you get towards the final product.

Fwiw, we ticked upwards back into the 50's in AdjD after NDSU. So statistically it does bear out that we made some progress.
We also changed our PNR coverage, dumped the hard hedge, went to the flat show on all ball screens, AND are now switching guard/wings + Ayton on ball screens, weave, DHO on calls. A great adjustment from Miller, starting during the UNM game, and certainly something I was hoping we would see. Just in time to prep it for ASU as well.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

We also changed our PNR coverage, dumped the hard hedge, went to the flat show on all ball screens, AND are now switching guard/wings + Ayton on ball screens, weave, DHO on calls. A great adjustment from Miller, starting during the UNM game, and certainly something I was hoping we would see. Just in time to prep it for ASU as well.
Not a shock. Lee was pretty much the only one holding his own at hard hedging.
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

But I'm confused, I've been lead to believe from everyone in the universe that Miller makes zero adjustments, EVER
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I think it's like this. Packline is Plan A, and Miller gives Plan A a lot of chances to develop and work. He does not go to Plan B quickly, but he will go Plan B eventually. What Plan B is depends on the circumstances.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

5 TOs last game and Dusan had 3 of them.

Whens the last time we had less?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

dcZONAfan wrote:But I'm confused, I've been lead to believe from everyone in the universe that Miller makes zero adjustments, EVER
He certainly doesnt make that many large defensive adjustments. This is out of necessity, but also fits right into his packline principles of: Wall off the paint, pressure the ball, force teams into late in the clock, contested shots from mid-range.

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Jefe wrote:5 TOs last game and Dusan had 3 of them.

Whens the last time we had less?
Weve matched that total a few times, the last time being 1/11/15 in a loss at Oregon St. S/R doesnt have gamelogs listed prior to the '10-'11 season, and thats all the research im willing to do lol.

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:But I'm confused, I've been lead to believe from everyone in the universe that Miller makes zero adjustments, EVER
He certainly doesnt make that many large defensive adjustments. This is out of necessity, but also fits right into his packline principles of: Wall off the paint, pressure the ball, force teams into late in the clock, contested shots from mid-range.
It's reasonable. Our bigs are tall and long but not particularly good at the mobility and movement required to hedge and recover. The adjustment hopefully cuts down penetration off the bounce or pass and means if the opponent wants to shoot it, they have to shoot over a tall guy with his hands up.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Miller's Plan B:

- Leave Dusan on a defensive island and wait for him to transform into Aaron Gordon.
- Ensure that our Center spends as little time as possible defending in the actual paint instead they should be flopping around at the 3pt line guarding smaller quicker players.
- If all else fails call a hasty timeout and rip into some unfortunate player for not being Aaron Gordon.

Hold on, Plan B is the same as Plan A!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Again: love hearing this breakdown Clip. Thanks for the insight. Seems like we're switching with everyone but Dusan... which, surprise surprise.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RiseAndFire wrote:Miller's Plan B:

- Leave Dusan on a defensive island and wait for him to transform into Aaron Gordon.
- Ensure that our Center spends as little time as possible defending in the actual paint instead they should be flopping around at the 3pt line guarding smaller quicker players.
- If all else fails call a hasty timeout and rip into some unfortunate player for not being Aaron Gordon.

Hold on, Plan B is the same as Plan A!
We didn't lose a game, are you sure you should be posting?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just want to note Rawle's advanced stats...

PER

* Ayton: 33.3
* Trier: 27.2
* Alkins: 27.0
* Dusan: 20.8
* Randolph: 18.2

TS %

* Trier: 70.7%
* Alkins: 66.5%
* Ayton: 66.0%
* Dusan: 61.6%
* PJC: 59.7%

WS/40

* Ayton: .285
* Trier: .240
* Alkins: .222
* Dusan: .180
* Randolph: .163

BPM

* Alkins: 10.3
* Ayton: 10.0
* Trier: 9.6
* PJC: 7.0
* Dusan: 5.5

You see that bunching at the top of each of those lists? Those are our three best players and it's not really close at all. Alkins is so much better than any "next-up" player on our team... He's as important as having a second Trier out there. I know I've thrown a fit over Alkins > Trier in the past so I want to be clear I'm not making that argument. Just that he is a next-level, first team All Pac player.

I know we all know Alkins is a great player. It's just striking to me seeing it statistically... he's a "best player on the team" kind of guy and we have three of those. It's pretty absurd and we're really really fortunate to get him back.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Rawle is also a guy who does it all. Other guys have their upsides and downsides, but Rawle is our most solid across the board player. I don't think he has an area of his game that isn't going to be above average when he is at full speed.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

ESPN article on Arizona's up-down-up season so far.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... inty-looms
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

"Then, the Wildcats lost three consecutive games to NC State, SMU and Purdue in the Battle 4 Atlantis, the team's first nationally televised showcase this season."

woops
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:"Then, the Wildcats lost three consecutive games to NC State, SMU and Purdue in the Battle 4 Atlantis, the team's first nationally televised showcase this season."

woops
It's funny on multiple levels. The other level is that no one even pretends P12 Network is national.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Jefe wrote:"Then, the Wildcats lost three consecutive games to NC State, SMU and Purdue in the Battle 4 Atlantis, the team's first nationally televised showcase this season."

woops
Streamed only but it was the first national audience
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:

woops
You really hold to a quite liberal definition of national and televised to avoid conceding a point on this issue don't you?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

woops
You really hold to a quite liberal definition of national and televised to avoid conceding a point on this issue don't you?
:lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

woops
Did you miss where i said it was streaming only and national audience not televised?
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

streamed only on espn3 is not a national audience...jesus christ.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I mean I understand your point coming for the perspective that you also think repealing net neutrality is for the good of the people. From that stand point , sure espn3 is national, I guess.

But no I don't not see espn3 as a national network. I have access to it and it's still often a pain in the ass to use. Hell I had to go to one of 8-10 bars on university ave in Tucson to watch the games...that's hardly "national" in any sense of the word.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:I mean I understand your point coming for the perspective that you also think repealing net neutrality is for the good of the people. From that stand point , sure espn3 is national, I guess.

But no I don't not see espn3 as a national network. I have access to it and it's still often a pain in the ass to use. Hell I had to go to one of 8-10 bars on university ave in Tucson to watch the games...that's hardly "national" in any sense of the word.
I never once said that repealing net neutrality was good thing so dont make stuff up. Same with the tax cuts. Never once said it was good or bad or anything or that I was in favor of. Funny how (not attacking you specifically) people create stuff they want and not actually read what is there.

And we can agree to disagree about the use of the word national but everyone in the country that has access to ESPN had access to the game. Thats why I said what I did
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fair enough.

Technically it was televised since someone brought a fire stick and streamed it to a tv, am I right? Especially when the stream froze multiple times in the second half and everyone was clapping when the game came back on several seconds later?

Back to the future. Like earlier 1980s cable box hacking technology.
gumby

Post by gumby »

If only there were a game to talk about.
Right where I want to be.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Well, that was some sharp-shooting down the stretch, along with a couple of odd breakdowns by UConn, allowing dunks by Alkins and Trier. The latter was hard to see since ESPN chose that moment (under 3 minutes to go) to use that freaking split screen for Walton antics.

In any event, any game we can win with Ayton getting a single-single is a good one. Shows we can do it without Trier and Ayton dominating the ball. Huge games by Ristic and Alkins. Parker with the most important basket of the game.

Starters 68, Bench 5.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Great game, and maybe we are seeing the beginnings of some hard d and the "wear down". Hope they keep it up. Really surprised how close it was until the cats started to pull away with a spurt of death.

Keep it up guys!

Ftr, taking to some college bb fans at the Kansas game, that Bahamas stretch really killed our rep nationally. Fine enough with me, we'll be fine and ready to ball come march.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Great game, and maybe we are seeing the beginnings of some hard d and the "wear down". Hope they keep it up. Really surprised how close it was until the cats started to pull away with a spurt of death.

Keep it up guys!

Ftr, taking to some college bb fans at the Kansas game, that Bahamas stretch really killed our rep nationally. Fine enough with me, we'll be fine and ready to ball come march.
Yeah, we're still paying for the Bahamas. I'm not thrilled bc other parts of our resume are looking fine. The Texas A&M win looks better every day. UNLV has been a legit team this year. Nationally, we're still just the team that lost 3 straight in the Bahamas.

It doesn't really matter, though. We're showing signs of becoming a legit defensive team. Alkins has made us a real juggernaut on offense. UConn was a frustrating aberration on the boards, but we have been good there.

The bottom line is you can still see all the elements of a potential national championship team. Our challenge is putting together those elements into consistent 40 minute efforts.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:The bottom line is you can still see all the elements of a potential national championship team. Our challenge is putting together those elements into consistent 40 minute efforts.
I have to say, PJC is going to have to have the best six game stretch of his life if we’re going to sniff a natty. I thought UConn’s ability to keep it close last night was in direct correlation to PJC’s subpar game on both ends of the court. The lack of production from the PG position was, IMO, glaring.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:The bottom line is you can still see all the elements of a potential national championship team. Our challenge is putting together those elements into consistent 40 minute efforts.
I have to say, PJC is going to have to have the best six game stretch of his life if we’re going to sniff a natty. I thought UConn’s ability to keep it close last night was in direct correlation to PJC’s subpar game on both ends of the court. The lack of production from the PG position was, IMO, glaring.
Eh best 4 game stretch. But agree. He has to be better. Bill said he has to be more creative last night.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Great game, and maybe we are seeing the beginnings of some hard d and the "wear down". Hope they keep it up. Really surprised how close it was until the cats started to pull away with a spurt of death.

Keep it up guys!

Arizona under Sean Miller has been notorious for winning big in November and losing in March. If this is the year that trend is reversed that'd be real swell.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Yup. Get through asu, start putting it all together for PAC 12 ball have a few other "brand schools" add another loss and we'll be in the hunt for a 1 or 2 seed.

I do believe the the Bahamas had to happen for miller to get buy in among all the players.

This is why I love college ball over the NBA, the progression. The journey.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

I'm just happy this program finally has a win on the board over UConn after never being able to top Calhoun in six tries.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

btfd16 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Eh best 4 game stretch. But agree. He has to be better. Bill said he has to be more creative last night.
We have the best player in college basketball. I don’t want just a Final Four. I want to win the whole fucking thing.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
I'm not sure we need 6 games from him. I do think if we hope to win a natty, there will be a game or two that we won't win without PJC producing. There will be some where others can cover for him, but a few are going to demand he answer the bell.

That is always the fear with Parker. He can be adequate. It's when we need more that the issues come in.
btfd16

Post by btfd16 »

Chicat wrote:
btfd16 wrote:
Chicat wrote:
We have the best player in college basketball. I don’t want just a Final Four. I want to win the whole fucking thing.
I am saying that he doesn't have to ball out the first two games for us to win those. Sorry for the confusion.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Parker’s weaknesses were on full display last night: poor passing in traffic, poor instincts at times, over-penetration followed by a bad shot or turnover, inability to finish in traffic, inability to draw contact and get to the FT line.

On the other hand, he’s made some timely threes this year, including last night. We just need him not to suck, basically.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Come Monday, it will be all right. Come Monday, we'll be holding tight to a top 15 ranking. That's an accurate reflection. Last poll, we were the top-ranked three-loss team (and ahead of many with better records), so we aren't being ignored.

Need to stay humble to make progress. Defense looking much better, and I am surprised that happened without diminishing Ristic's minutes. i do think there will come a time (ASU?) where we have to go small for an extended period. Hope we're ready.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If the defense from DR can just take a small step up from yesterday and his offense is at the same level as yesterday, that could force asu to go Big.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I was alarmed by the second chance points we gave up.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:I was alarmed by the second chance points we gave up.
Yep. And it's not as though UConn is among the leaders in second-chance points or offensive boards. Gotta box out. Not just our bigs. Trier and Rawle and Parker have to seal off their guys when a shot goes up.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Yeah. Only thing that kept it a game.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gumby wrote:
Yeah. Only thing that kept it a game.
13 turnovers isn't ideal. Also, we didn't have a great defensive start to the 2nd half. The rebounds were big, but both of those things showed through.