Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bangkok Wildcat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

PS. Can someone who knows Ace please invite him over here? His disappearance, for good, could easily be arranged.....I’m kidding.....I think ;-)
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Bangkok Wildcat wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Bangkok Wildcat wrote:Sorry if this has been discussed already but remember a few years back when Book was suspended? Or took leave from the program for a bit if I am recalling that correctly....anyone know the backstory on that?

Thanks in advance.
Believe Miller found out that Book was Ace's (PGU) inside guy in the program.
Aww, thanks Merkin...that sounds credible and I now recall speculation as such. Looking back and with how sleazy Ace was/is....in hindsight that now looks more ominous :-(. Man, yet again, this thread is sooo depressing yet needed.

Bear Down and thanks again Merkin.
I'm actually not sure we needed hindsight to know that the Book/Ace relationship was extremely bad; some people called for Book's firing then, not just because of what his actual relationship might have meant then but what many thought was the (fairly clear) implication that if one made decisions that bad, one could make decisions that bad in the future.

Being loyal is usually a very good trait. But you can be too loyal. And this might well be that kind of case.

We will see.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... estigation" target="_blank

Mark Emmert disturbed by findings of FBI investigation
NEW YORK -- NCAA president Mark Emmert said that the college athletics community is "disgusted and embarrassed" by the FBI investigation into alleged corruption in college basketball and must address several areas to clean up the sport.

Speaking Wednesday at the Learfield Intercollegiate Athletics Forum, Emmert outlined five areas of focus for the newly formed Commission on College Basketball: the NBA, shoe companies, agents, youth and summer basketball competition, and the involvement of the NCAA's national office to enforce greater accountability in the sport. In October, Emmert appointed former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice to chair the committee, which also includes former college and NBA stars David Robinson and Grant Hill.

The committee began to meet last month and will deliver recommendations for change at the NCAA's Division I board of directors meeting in April.

"The worst possible outcome," Emmert said, "is that, confronted with these kinds of facts, the association, the member universities and colleges say, 'Nah, that's OK' and [move] on."

The FBI probe in late September targeted shoe company executives, agents and four assistant basketball coaches accused of taking bribes to push players toward certain agents. Auburn's Chuck Person, Oklahoma State's Lamont Evans, Arizona's Emanuel "Book" Richardson and USC's Anthony Bland were all arrested in September, along with James Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas.

"We all in higher ed enjoy good, constructive relationships with the shoe companies," Emmert said. "We become important for their marketing model and vice versa, but at the same time, there's obviously some things that have gone awry. We've got to fix that.

"The shoe companies are some of the most creative marketeers in the world. I've got to believe you can sell shoes without bribing people to do it."

Emmert said the commission is meeting monthly and bringing in experts to address all five issues as they formulate recommendations for the board, which is "fully committed to taking action" at its April meeting. He wants the commission's proposals to be "as concrete as possible," which then can be turned into legislation the NCAA can incorporate.

Emmert reiterated his support for a system where NBA-ready basketball players could enter the league right out of high school rather than spend a mandatory year in college, as current NBA rules state, while adding that the NCAA has no legal right to enforce such a policy.

Asked later for his opinion on LaVar Ball, the father of former UCLA basketball players Lonzo and LiAngelo, Emmert declined to comment on the Ball family but said if players view college basketball as simply a platform to prepare them for a professional sports career, they should go elsewhere.

"If you don't want to, and you don't think you should, and you don't think that's right for your family, then don't come," Emmert said. "Don't be a part of this. Don't muck around in the system. Just go."

Emmert addressed other issues, including how the possible legalization of sports gambling in states other than Nevada could impact the NCAA. He said the NCAA board is examining whether to change the rule prohibiting NCAA events from taking place in Nevada.

Asked about Tennessee's messy football coaching search, Emmert referred to remarks made earlier Wednesday by several Power 5 athletic directors about the need for agreement in leadership when making key personnel decisions.

"When you don't have the board, the senior administration, president, chancellor, the AD in alignment of why are we doing this? Why do we play football? What are we trying to achieve here? What are our goals and aspirations? And we all agree on it. And by the way, when we make this personnel decision, it's because we're being consistent, then you get Tennessee," he said.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

Being loyal to friends is the most important thing in life.
signed: Joe Paterno.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

"We all in higher ed enjoy good, constructive relationships with the shoe companies," Emmert said. "We become important for their marketing model and vice versa, but at the same time, there's obviously some things that have gone awry. We've got to fix that.

"The shoe companies are some of the most creative marketeers in the world. I've got to believe you can sell shoes without bribing people to do it."

Mark Emmert is the Mike Pence of college sports administrators. He's "got to believe" that the NCAA can totally "clean up" bribery without pulling billions of shoe company dollars out of basketball and football?

Who is he trying to kid? Himself? Talk a little bit more about other SEC schools besides Tennessee--with some degree of honesty--and then the public might believe you're really trying to confront the problem.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

catgrad97 wrote:"We all in higher ed enjoy good, constructive relationships with the shoe companies," Emmert said. "We become important for their marketing model and vice versa, but at the same time, there's obviously some things that have gone awry. We've got to fix that.

Mark Emmert is the Mike Pence of college sports administrators. He's "got to believe" that the NCAA can totally "clean up" bribery without pulling billions of shoe company dollars out of basketball and football?

Who is he trying to kid? Himself? Talk a little bit more about other SEC schools besides Tennessee--with some degree of honesty--and then the public might believe you're really trying to confront the problem.
He has it all wrong. Shoe companies don't bribe people. They pay people to endorse their shoes. When they pay coaches, it's great. When they pay players, it's terrible if the player has not declared for the draft, then totally cool after they declare for the draft.

Now if you just provide them boatloads of free merchandise, that's ok because it's just branding. See how easy and logical this all is?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ery-scheme" target="_blank

Brian Bowen, player tied to Rick Pitino's firing, says he was in dark
Bowen explained he didn't commit to Louisville until early June of this past year because he had previously told Arizona head coach Sean Miller that he was coming to Tucson -- as long as either Allonzo Trier or Rawle Alkins left early for the NBA. Trier opted to return, and then Alkins announced he was coming back to Arizona in late-May.

"I had pretty much told Sean Miller that I was going to come if one of those guys leave," Bowen said. "It didn't happen."

"My biggest thing is that I want to play college basketball," Bowen said. "There are other routes I can go. I could go play in Spain or Australia or in Lithuania with the Ball brothers. But my dream was to play college basketball.

"I feel like I'm a victim because of greedy adults."
throwing his Dad under the bus...
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Maybe he didn't get the money and like in a lot of situations it went to the people around him?
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Jefe wrote:http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ery-scheme

Brian Bowen, player tied to Rick Pitino's firing, says he was in dark
Bowen explained he didn't commit to Louisville until early June of this past year because he had previously told Arizona head coach Sean Miller that he was coming to Tucson -- as long as either Allonzo Trier or Rawle Alkins left early for the NBA. Trier opted to return, and then Alkins announced he was coming back to Arizona in late-May.

"I had pretty much told Sean Miller that I was going to come if one of those guys leave," Bowen said. "It didn't happen."

"My biggest thing is that I want to play college basketball," Bowen said. "There are other routes I can go. I could go play in Spain or Australia or in Lithuania with the Ball brothers. But my dream was to play college basketball.

"I feel like I'm a victim because of greedy adults."
throwing his Dad under the bus...
maybe but if I was his dad I would tell him to go that way too, seems like the only possible way to get him back on the court this year
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Found this blurb interesting. I didn't realize Arizona was the only school in the FBI probe who isn't sitting anyone.

10. Arizona hasn't officially suspended a player. Subscribers to our CBS college hoops pod are familiar with a discussion Gary Parrish and I had back in November. We suspected that Arizona would do what Auburn, USC and Oklahoma State did: suspend a player, or players, who were under suspicion for ineligibility. Auburn continues to sit Purifoy and Wiley. Oklahoma State's Jeffrey Carroll had to miss games for the Cowboys. USC's De'Anthony Melton still has not played for the Trojans. Yet Arizona has not a thing. Rawle Alkins missed the first nine games of the season due to what has only been attributed as something injury-induced, but otherwise? Nothing from Sean Miller. This was eyebrow-raising to many, and if the NCAA or FBI comes to find players were on the court despite having broken laws or bylaws, then it could retroactively put Arizona's 2017-18 season in jeopardy.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... o-far/amp/" target="_blank
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

enfuego wrote:Found this blurb interesting. I didn't realize Arizona was the only school in the FBI probe who isn't sitting anyone.

10. Arizona hasn't officially suspended a player. Subscribers to our CBS college hoops pod are familiar with a discussion Gary Parrish and I had back in November. We suspected that Arizona would do what Auburn, USC and Oklahoma State did: suspend a player, or players, who were under suspicion for ineligibility. Auburn continues to sit Purifoy and Wiley. Oklahoma State's Jeffrey Carroll had to miss games for the Cowboys. USC's De'Anthony Melton still has not played for the Trojans. Yet Arizona has not a thing. Rawle Alkins missed the first nine games of the season due to what has only been attributed as something injury-induced, but otherwise? Nothing from Sean Miller. This was eyebrow-raising to many, and if the NCAA or FBI comes to find players were on the court despite having broken laws or bylaws, then it could retroactively put Arizona's 2017-18 season in jeopardy.

I posted about his earlier in the year when Sexton was suspended. Miami too, if you include all the schools that were involved (Sexton for 'Bama, Bowen for L'Ville, and no one for Miami, not sure if there were other schools) not just the ones that had a coach fired.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

enfuego wrote:Found this blurb interesting. I didn't realize Arizona was the only school in the FBI probe who isn't sitting anyone.

As it should be. Further, Miller's rich contract, even future career as a coach anywhere, is on the line.

OTOH, it may mean that Arizona believes this episode is about Book and Book alone, especially since the UofA administration has been warned well in advance about Alkins.......from many corners.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Hank of sb wrote:

As it should be. Further, Miller's rich contract, even future career as a coach anywhere, is on the line.

OTOH, it may mean that Arizona believes this episode is about Book and Book alone, especially since the UofA administration has been warned well in advance about Alkins.......from many corners.
Yes. We all know this and have for some time.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Hank of sb wrote:

Nothing gets by you Hank, sharp as a bowie knife you are.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ederal-law" target="_blank

Lawyers seek dismissal in college basketball corruption scandal
Lawyers for three of the men charged in the FBI's investigation into college basketball corruption have asked a federal judge to dismiss charges against them, arguing that their clients' alleged conduct might violate NCAA rules but doesn't break federal law.

In a motion sent to U.S. District Court Judge Lewis A. Kaplan on Friday, attorneys for Adidas executives James Gatto and Merl Code and former NBA agent Christian Dawkins argue that the men can't be charged with wire fraud because, among other things, their alleged actions didn't defraud victims but actually helped them.

The FBI alleges that Gatto, Code and Dawkins worked with others to pay prospective student-athletes' families to ensure the players signed with Adidas-sponsored schools and then signed with Adidas once they turned pro, the federal complaints allege.

"The payments purportedly made by Defendants were not themselves unlawful," the defendants' lawyers wrote in a motion to dismiss. "It is not against the law to offer a financial incentive to a family to persuade them to send their son or daughter to a particular college. Such payments might, however, violate the rules of the NCAA. After expending enormous resources, the Government has strained to find any legal theory -- ultimately resorting to one that was directly rejected by a Federal Court of Appeals -- in order to transform NCAA rule violations into a conspiracy to commit federal wire fraud."

On Sept. 26, federal charges were filed against 10 people, including four assistant coaches, following a clandestine three-year FBI investigation.

Even if the alleged payments were made, the defendants' lawyers argued in a motion to dismiss, their actions didn't break federal law.

"The wire fraud statute prohibits 'schemes to defraud' victims, not schemes to help them," the motion said. "The Indictment takes pains to assert that the purpose of Defendants' alleged conspiracy was to 'step up and help' Louisville and Miami. In particular, the Government expressly alleges that Defendants' scheme was motivated by a desire to 'assist' the Universities recruit talented athletes and concedes that Defendants provided funds to the three families only after they were asked to do so by the Universities' basketball coaches.

"The fact that the coaches asked Defendants to help via means that could, 'if uncovered,' lead to potential negative consequences with the NCAA does not change the fact that, according to the Indictment's own allegations, Defendants sought to help, not harm, Louisville and Miami."

In a letter sent to Kaplan earlier this week, Joon H. Kim, acting U.S. Attorney for Southern District of New York, wrote that recordings of nearly 1,300 phone calls totaling nearly 200 hours that were intercepted by the FBI have been turned over to the defendants' attorneys through discovery. The lawyers wrote in their motion to dismiss that law enforcement monitored five phone numbers over 330 days and intercepted more than 4,000 calls.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Choo: Any word on the progress of the internal investigation???
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I feel like internal investigations are just lip service. UA lined up behind CSM, and they're going to stay there until FBI or NCAA says he's dirty.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

The less news, the better, IMO. The longer it takes to find a violation, the less likely one occurred in the first place.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

dmjcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Choo: Any word on the progress of the internal investigation???
Every thing is air tight my man, although I'd refer to Chicat's post. The internal investigation was what brought the whole Pinder/Phelps thing to light though fwiw as much of a nothingburger that was.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Nothing new on Bowen, wanted to finish the semester out and hopefully transfer. NCAA gonna wait till the season is over?

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... 4vp73axk5j" target="_blank
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Tad Boyle commented on the AZ FBI recruiting scandal in his post game presser.......the comments came around the 18:30 mark

Warning...........you are not going to like Tad any more than you presently do. :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/Pac12Conferenc ... 915706801/" target="_blank
RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

dmjcat wrote:Tad Boyle commented on the AZ FBI recruiting scandal in his post game presser.......the comments came around the 18:30 mark

Warning...........you are not going to like Tad any more than you presently do. :lol:

Are you listening to the same presser video I am?

Boyle does not say one word about the 'scandal'. What are you talking about?
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote:
dmjcat wrote:Tad Boyle commented on the AZ FBI recruiting scandal in his post game presser.......the comments came around the 18:30 mark

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

RichardCranium wrote:

Better clean the earwax out and go back and listen again........the reporter asked Tad about the FBI/scandal :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Tad Boyle has always been, and will always be, a massively syphillitic vagina.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

No love for the Boyle?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

ghostwhitehorse

Post by ghostwhitehorse »

Boyle = Boil.
also. . .

Boyle = Trump.

(Crowing = cover up)
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Merkin wrote:
Fuck Tad Boyle that is an incredibly cheap shot from a bullshit coach who couldn't recruit drowning swimmers from the Titanic onto a life raft.

It's his way of saying "See I could recruit if you'd let me get away with cheating"...the truth is NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY FOR COLORADO WHO CAN PLAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Fuck Tad Boyle with a telephone pole.

And in case he missed the history lesson he just gave our guys a reason to beat his boys like a rented mule on fire...come on to Tucson Tad, we welcome the rematch.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:Tad Boyle has always been, and will always be, a massively syphillitic vagina.
It always bugs me that Miller doesn't seem to have much trouble against Krystkowiak who is an infinitely better coach than Boyle, but is hit or miss against Boyle, who is literally a walking testicle.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Chicat wrote:Tad Boyle has always been, and will always be, a massively syphillitic vagina.
It always bugs me that Miller doesn't seem to have much trouble against Krystkowiak who is an infinitely better coach than Boyle, but is hit or miss against Boyle, who is literally a walking testicle.
finally, a correct usage of "literally"
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Jaunary 25, Taddy, January 25. Looking for a huge beat down. Hope we win by 30 and I hope Miller keeps the starters in until calling a time out with under 10 seconds to go.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

BBQ wildcat wrote:Jaunary 25, Taddy, January 25. Looking for a huge beat down. Hope we win by 30 and I hope Miller keeps the starters in until calling a time out with under 10 seconds to go.
Miller should stuff a $100 bill in Tad’s shirt pocket in the handshake line.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
Merkin wrote:
Fuck Tad Boyle that is an incredibly cheap shot from a bullshit coach who couldn't recruit drowning swimmers from the Titanic onto a life raft.

It's his way of saying "See I could recruit if you'd let me get away with cheating"...the truth is NO ONE WANTS TO PLAY FOR COLORADO WHO CAN PLAY ANYWHERE ELSE.

Fuck Tad Boyle with a telephone pole.

And in case he missed the history lesson he just gave our guys a reason to beat his boys like a rented mule on fire...come on to Tucson Tad, we welcome the rematch.
"a bullshit coach who couldn't recruit drowning swimmers from the Titanic onto a life raft." One of the funniest things I've ever read. Well played sir!
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Chicat wrote:
BBQ wildcat wrote:Jaunary 25, Taddy, January 25. Looking for a huge beat down. Hope we win by 30 and I hope Miller keeps the starters in until calling a time out with under 10 seconds to go.
Miller should stuff a $100 bill in Tad’s shirt pocket in the handshake line.
Priceless!
Dave

Post by Dave »

They have USC and Arizona on the road this month and you start making these kind of comments. I wouldn't call that smart.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

Dave wrote:They have USC and Arizona on the road this month and you start making these kind of comments. I wouldn't call that smart.
I really can't figure out what you are trying to say. No one should smack talk them because Boyle shit talked about Arizona and USC? Fuck Boyle. I hope the buffs get stomped in every road game, particularly here and at USC.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BBQ wildcat wrote:
Dave wrote:They have USC and Arizona on the road this month and you start making these kind of comments. I wouldn't call that smart.
I really can't figure out what you are trying to say. No one should smack talk them because Boyle shit talked about Arizona and USC? Fuck Boyle. I hope the buffs get stomped in every road game, particularly here and at USC.
He's saying Boyle is not the sharpest tool in the shed for handing out bulletin board material to SC and Arizona shortly before playing at SC and Arizona.

I'm inclined to agree.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Boyle and Colorado have behaved way beyond their performance level since joining this conference. Their lone accomplishment is winning the conference tournament in what was undoubtedly the worst year every for the Pac in the era of modern basketball. And since then they've acted like they're on par with other programs. The comments of the likes of Spencer Dinwiddie and Xavier Johnson have been laughable. Never once has anyone in their program spoke about Arizona the way Miller has heaped respectful praise on their shitty program.

I would like to see Ayton go for 40 or 50 points in the rematch at McKale, with Miller commenting to the press that the players were extra motivated to score against Colorado because they were promised extra pay.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

The NCAA suspended him? I thought Louisville did. All these articles today says they will seek reinstatement
We believe the NCAA, once they have heard all of the evidence, will promptly reinstate Brian."
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Jefe wrote:The NCAA suspended him? I thought Louisville did. All these articles today says they will seek reinstatement
We believe the NCAA, once they have heard all of the evidence, will promptly reinstate Brian."
I don't think the NCAA knows what promptly is
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Jefe wrote:The NCAA suspended him? I thought Louisville did. All these articles today says they will seek reinstatement
Louisville held him out because he would have jeopardized their season with the NCAA. The NCAA hasn't acted, so I assume SC will ask the NCAA to expedite a finding he's eligible.

I wish them good luck. They'll need it.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

I think that article was written by media rather than lawyers.
The wording does not appear to be precise.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DiehardDave37 wrote:I think that article was written by media rather than lawyers.
The wording does not appear to be precise.
Yeah, I think there's a side portion of the fact everyone knows why Bowen is sitting. Whether the NCAA has technically said he is ineligible...well, everyone knows he isn't playing because of the 150k. Regardless of the technical situation, that's the factual issue.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I wonder if any other schools wanted him. SC is an Under Armour school
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

Kansas forward Billy Preston has signed with a Euro pro team
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

CatHoops wrote:Kansas forward Billy Preston has signed with a Euro pro team

I guess for KU nothin' from nothin' leaves nothin'.
Last edited by UAEebs86 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CatHoops wrote:Kansas forward Billy Preston has signed with a Euro pro team
was known for two years he was never gonna play

zero chance
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Didn't him having a car accident while driving someone else's car lead to this? Guess they found something else. Looked like he was going to play vs Kentucky before the accident.