CalStateTempe

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by CalStateTempe »

Fuck that guy; seriously.
azcat34

Post by azcat34 »

NYCat wrote:
So Schlabach misunderstood the information he was receiving?

Why would Book say that Miller was talking a payment with Ayton in Spring of 2017?
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

azpatnca wrote:Have any of you actually read the FBI document containing the charges against Book? Here's what I've learned:
1. Book had no relationship with Dawkins prior to last year in march.
2. Dawkins was being led to do things by UC-1, the FBI undercover agent who financed the whole operation.
3. Book took a bribe from Dawkins/Sood/UC-1 of $5000, then $15,000, apparently used it to pay Player-5 (Quinerly) to come to Arizona.
4. Book promised he'd deliver Player-6 to Dawkins. Player-6 is a sheltered kid and all interactions will have to be with his relative, the FBI calls him The "Handler".
5. UC-1, Dawkins and Sood asked how they could get Player-7. Book said he was working on it.
6. Apparently, Dawkins, Adidas, the FBI and some AAU assholes all conspired to pay player-12 (Little) $150,000 to go to go to University-7 (Miami). They apparently had to beat a price of $150,000 to keep him "from going to one of their schools".

Player-5 we all know is Quinerly. Player-12 is Nasir Little. I don't know who Player-6 is. I suspect Player-7 is Ayton.

So it looks like the FBI is the dirtiest player in all of this.

Sounds like Dawkins and Adidas double crossed Richardson to get Little to go to Miami.

Player-7 was never paid to come to UA and actually it's Player-7 the agents are trying to get access to, but they don't have access to him at the time of the filing. Player-7 has done nothing wrong, he was merely being talked about by bad guys.

Player-6 has done nothing wrong, but he may have a relative who unbeknownst to him was approached regarding influencing him to sign with Dawkins.

Oh, and all the time Dawkins was shopping Bowen (Player-10) to coaches, which Pitino (Coach-2)(U-6) eventually took him up on.

So given this, I think either Dawkins/FBI/Sood offered Miller for access to Player-7, and that's the wiretap ESPN reported on, and that's why Ayton is named (ALTHOUGH THIS IS NOT WHAT ESPN ALLEGED IN THIER ARTICLE) or else Dawkins offered Miller a price tag of $100,000 for Bowen and Miller did not tell him yes. I hope it's the latter.

Sources:
https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... estigation" target="_blank

https://www.justice.gov/usao-sdny/press ... 6/download" target="_blank

edit:
just read spaceman's post, I guess Player-6 is Rawle Alkins. I hope his family didn't fuck him, and I hope he comes back healthy and tears it up next year. He doesn't deserve this shit.
Long before this all came about I had a friend on FB who worked who knew Ayton through coaching circles of some sort in Phoenix, and described how closely knit his family is, and basically he had told me Ayton really wanted to go to Arizona an he wasn’t going to be pried away because he wanted to be close to his family here for the 1 year he would play. What this is saying matches up almost perfectly with how my friend described Ayton’s family and explains why Ayton’s family and Miller are so incredibly furious about this. The kid is clean - his family doesn’t need money and knows that Deandre doesn’t need to risk his chatracter for chump change from a low-level runner.

Seriously, ESPN fucked up so big-time here. He may have been discussed because the agent wanted influence, but he was coming to Arizona from day 1 as long as he could start because he is super close with his family and wanted them to have easy access to come to games. It’s really that simple.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

azcat34 wrote:
NYCat wrote:
So Schlabach misunderstood the information he was receiving?

Why would Book say that Miller was talking a payment with Ayton in Spring of 2017?
Or was the leak to media outlets that poked holes in the ESPN story?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote:
Richardson and his counsel aren't singled out here, except for in the headline. This is the same blanket gag order that was previously discussed: that all defendants and counsel should not share evidence.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I hate this fucking thread, but I have a conspiracy theory so here we go.

I wonder if the Miller+Ayton info was retaliatory against Arizona for the previous Yahoo leak/story. As in, either Book released the Yahoo info or someone thought Book released the Yahoo info... and that info was damaging to another defendant who decided to call ESPN.

Knowing ESPN would be thirsty for their own scoop... this defendant says some things about Miller that no one can confirm or deny, exaggerating to make it extra juicy, and away we go.

Just a conspiracy theory... but it seems almost certain that the ESPN story was an attack on Arizona (and not some "oh look what I happened to find" scoop), which would require a motive... and what came up in this case right before the ESPN story? The Yahoo story. The only thing that changed.

So yeah: I think Book's camp may have released the Yahoo info, maybe to say "everyone is doing it don't make an example out of me!" and then someone else was injured by that info and "leaked" their own story in revenge. Dawkins in particular looks like a real dirty POS coming out of that Yahoo story.

Maybe another example of Book trying to help himself while accidentally fucking over Arizona. Also would explain the timing of the two reports and fits with why there was evidence leaked in the Yahoo report and merely hearsay in the ESPN.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

I see it more like a certain local journalist* said something on the radio like:
"Let's just say I had a chat with a guy who's name rhymes with 'Look' who clarified the whoooole enchilada for me! ...uhhh woopsie! I didn't speak to Book Richardson, I mean I just made that up! Yeah, that's the ticket!"

Prompting the FBI to drop the hammer on Look. Er, Book.

*the term journalist is being used extremely generously
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Remember the part of the ESPN report where it claims Miller said, "don't work with Book. Just go through me on all money arrangements"

If that were true why wasn't Miller arrested during the initial indictment.

It basically sounds like a source with sour grapes and looking to deflect blame through the media.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why is the yahoo report buried and will it ever see the light of day again?
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

UofAlum05 wrote:Remember the part of the ESPN report where it claims Miller said, "don't work with Book. Just go through me on all money arrangements"

Simple, because FBI doesn't care if you break ncaa rules (funneling $$$ to players). The FBI only cares about coaches who skimmed money off the top, which is then a state employee accepting a bribe.

miller not being arrested means little to the ncaa and has zero bearing on how many years we'll be banned from postseason.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

RiseAndFire wrote: has zero bearing on how many years we'll be banned from postseason.
Ass sucking trolls have a D1 team?
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

RiseAndFire wrote:
UofAlum05 wrote:Remember the part of the ESPN report where it claims Miller said, "don't work with Book. Just go through me on all money arrangements"

Simple, because FBI doesn't care if you break ncaa rules (funneling $$$ to players). The FBI only cares about coaches who skimmed money off the top, which is then a state employee accepting a bribe.

miller not being arrested means little to the ncaa and has zero bearing on how many years we'll be banned from postseason.
Oh joy, look who's back.
WildcatStunner

Post by WildcatStunner »

RiseAndFire wrote:

Maybe we can run a zone to prevent any punishment from the NCAA.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

It basically sounds like a source with sour grapes and looking to deflect blame through the media.
Maybe because the tone and actual conversation was more like "Hey...you don't talk to Book. You talk to me" after Dawkins suggested going to Book

I haven't heard any mention that Miller said "go through me on all money". But I think this is where ESPN claims they were not wrong...they just didn't "know the tone" and read it as Miller was the Godfather of Letting Agents Pay Players to Attend Arizona In Return For Influencing Players To Sign With a Certain Agency"

Because isn't that what this is? Miller was never arranging to pay anyone, even if he was having the worst case scenario of this conversation. But it sounds every bit like Dawkins was trying to end around or suggest to Miller to get him on tape by inferring that Miller wouldn't get dirty... The "I'll Talk to Book" has a larger inference of..."I understand...you know what? We never spoke. I'll talk to Book." And Miller came unglued.

So we are talking tone, likely. The FBI did not read the conversation as what ESPN reported, or Miller would be a co-conspirator in the scam that lead to the bribe of Book.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

RiseAndFire wrote:

Except if the conversation happened as ESPN says, Miller would be a conspirator in the bribery case, as Book is just the bag man for a larger syndicate designed to accept bribes and direct bribes to players to deliver services as a state employee.

If Miller is steering other players for delivery of certain ones, he would be somewhere on that tap getting money like Book, or discussing payment, or discussing Book's payment. The only way there is no wiretaps of conversations with Miller discussing Book's payment and similar ones is...if there were no such conversations. Logic, huh? Book clearly did his bit alone, because this whole scam involves these kinds of transactions, and if Miller was a party to the scam to bribe Book, or was bribed by Book, or conspired to do the same or to get Book to go get that money for Quinnerly...he would be indicted. 4000 hours of tape. Lots of Book and Miller.

More than the bag man gets popped in a conspiracy to bribe officials. Unless the bag man is acting alone.
bri

Post by bri »

https://www.si.com/college-basketball/2 ... ark-emmert" target="_blank

SI bringing it. Most spot on article yet, the ridiculousness of the FBI case, NCAA, et al.
While three criminal cases tied to the investigation may take years to play out, the documents viewed by Yahoo revealed the extent of the potential NCAA ramifications from the case. The documents show an underground recruiting operation that could create NCAA rules issues—both current and retroactive—for at least 20 Division I basketball programs and more than 25 players. The documents tie some of the biggest names and programs in the sport to activity that appears to violate the NCAA’s amateurism rules. This could end up casting a pall over the NCAA tournament because of eligibility issues. There’s potential impermissible benefits and preferential treatment for players and families of players at Duke, North Carolina, Texas, Kentucky, Michigan State, USC, Alabama and a host of other schools.
My favorite part
Well, now, along comes the FBI and Mark Emmert, who makes $3 million a year but who wouldn’t make a dime without the work put in by teenagers who have to fight to profit even from their own images, stepped up and issued a statement stunningly disingenuous even by NCAA standards, which are very high indeed.

These allegations, if true, point to systematic failures that must be fixed and fixed now if we want college sports in America. Simply put, people who engage in this kind of behavior have no place in college sports. They are an affront to all those who play by the rules.

For the love of heaven, please shut up. There is some talk abroad in the land that the findings of this investigation will lay amateurism to rest once and for all. Read Emmert’s statement again. He sees this as an opportunity to position the NCAA again as the guardians of academic and athletic purity, as a way to break its two-year losing streak and regain control over the help. If you need more evidence that this is Emmert’s long game, consider that the FBI already has said that the universities involved are not objects of the investigation. So, players get named and shamed. Coaches get fired. Agents go broke on legal fees. But Boards of Regents go merrily on, waving their foam fingers in the air and grazing the buffet tables and groaning boards paid for by their “corporate partners.”
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:Except if the conversation happened as ESPN says, Miller would be a conspirator in the bribery case, as Book is just the bag man for a larger syndicate designed to accept bribes and direct bribes to players to deliver services as a state employee.

If Miller is steering other players for delivery of certain ones, he would be somewhere on that tap getting money like Book, or discussing payment, or discussing Book's payment. The only way there is no wiretaps of conversations with Miller discussing Book's payment and similar ones is...if there were no such conversations. Logic, huh? Book clearly did his bit alone, because this whole scam involves these kinds of transactions, and if Miller was a party to the scam to bribe Book, or was bribed by Book, or conspired to do the same or to get Book to go get that money for Quinnerly...he would be indicted. 4000 hours of tape. Lots of Book and Miller.

More than the bag man gets popped in a conspiracy to bribe officials. Unless the bag man is acting alone.
You know what ESPN would have done if their reporting was accurate? They'd have included a quote from the transcript. After all of the blowback, they'd have gone back and gotten a follow up with a direct quote of Miller from the transcript. Two sentences. One sentence. Six words.

They came back with nothing. They flipped their story this way and that until finally settling on "we're just not changing anything at all." Which sounds a lot like "we don't know so what's the difference."

Again - the Yahoo story had evidence. The Miller story comes out right afterwards with nothing but hearsay... It's made up and it's retaliatory for the Yahoo leak.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I just don't get why we join ESPN commentators is this notion that Arizona would have to vacate a title, or any wins. Lots of named players have been documented, but none of them are or were at Arizona. You'd have to believe that Miller paid $100,000 for Ayton, as unnamed sources Schlabach himself unintentionally revealed to be compromised (which is why he's been silenced), and in spite of no discernible connection to the timeline of Ayton's commitment or to Christian Dawkins.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Is there any chance the yahoo story will eventually get legs or is it now considered DOA
jajoyce

Post by jajoyce »

CalStateTempe wrote:Is there any chance the yahoo story will eventually get legs or is it now considered DOA

The one that list the names which was just an excel document that anyone could have had? Nothing showing that $ changed hands etc.?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Longhorned wrote: You'd have to believe that Miller paid $100,000 for Ayton, as unnamed sources Schlabach himself unintentionally revealed to be compromised (which is why he's been silenced), and in spite of no discernible connection to the timeline of Ayton's commitment or to Christian Dawkins.
Isn't it actually that Miller would have OK'd ASM to pay Ayton $100,000 in return for steering clients his way (and likely securing Ayton as a client)? This scam has them delivering players and paying them, not the teams, from what I understood.

The claim by every coach who has a player on that spreadsheet will be ASM went directly to the player, except we know that isn't the game, and I seem to remember Michigan State being named in either the emails or some report as having ASM working them for clients for Bridges.

Anyway...that will be the plausible deniability angle taken by every program with a player on that spread. If none took money directly like Book, but are on wiretap discussing delivery of a player in return for help getting players post-eligibility? That is where this could blow up.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Longhorned wrote:I just don't get why we join ESPN commentators is this notion that Arizona would have to vacate a title, or any wins. Lots of named players have been documented, but none of them are or were at Arizona. You'd have to believe that Miller paid $100,000 for Ayton, as unnamed sources Schlabach himself unintentionally revealed to be compromised (which is why he's been silenced), and in spite of no discernible connection to the timeline of Ayton's commitment or to Christian Dawkins.
Also
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I hope ayton uses some of his signing bonus to sue the shit out of the WWL
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The narrative is that Miller paid $100,000. That's because Schlabach's ESPN report says, "Miller discussed paying $100,000 to ensure star freshman Deandre Ayton signed with the Wildcats, sources familiar with the government's evidence told ESPN." And as the world knows, Ayton plays for Arizona. If ESPN wants to clarify, everyone would like to hear. But Schlabach's vague tweets aren't how the media clarifies reports, and obviously few people have seen those tweets.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

CalStateTempe wrote:I hope ayton uses some of his signing bonus to sue the shit out of the WWL
Which signing bonus? :lol: :lol:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:I hope ayton uses some of his signing bonus to sue the shit out of the WWL
Which signing bonus? :lol: :lol:
Lol, yeah I need to be careful around here. The one he’ll get as number one pick.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

RiseAndFire wrote:

If miller gave or accepted money he would have been picked up. Conspiracy to commit is all they needed and it didn't happen. The ncaa won't do a damn thing either. A failure to control sanction doesn't equal a tournament ban.
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

And if u think Dr Robbins and the law team aren't in the know of what's going on ur crazy. Keep digging and we will keep winning games
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatHoops wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

If miller gave or accepted money he would have been picked up. Conspiracy to commit is all they needed and it didn't happen. The ncaa won't do a damn thing either. A failure to control sanction doesn't equal a tournament ban.
The more salient thing is why the FBI would not have mentioned the wire. Even if he wasn't charged, if the wire is of the nature ESPN said, it would be quite surprising it did not make the complaint, given there was tons of Dawkins wire info in there.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I see people posting responses to rise and suck, but frankly we are better off just ignoring his troll ass.

It will go away and find another bridge to sleep under if you don't acknowledge it even exists...trolls are imaginary...you'll have better luck responding to unicorns.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I want this thread to die.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Schlabach making silent Final 4 picks: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament" target="_blank

Virginia, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan State
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Why he no tweet?
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Jefe wrote:Schlabach making silent Final 4 picks: http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... tournament" target="_blank

Virginia, North Carolina, Villanova, Michigan State
Oh, well, all very interesting, and.... FUCK HIM!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:Why he no tweet?
He's been gag ordered...or he's simply gagging on dawkins/book/some other fuck.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

EVCat wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:

Except if the conversation happened as ESPN says, Miller would be a conspirator in the bribery case, as Book is just the bag man for a larger syndicate designed to accept bribes and direct bribes to players to deliver services as a state employee.

you're getting your bribes mixed up maybe. FBI only cares about coaches (state employees) accepting bribes personally as Book did with the $5k. They do not care about the regular scheme where coaches arrange a third party agent to "bribe" a recruit to commit but the coach takes no money for himself, in exchange for the coach steering a current NBA prospect to an agent/advisor. The recruit accepting the bribe is not a state employee so the FBI doesn't care. The NCAA on the other hand........may care

I don't think anybody has accused Miller of personally taking money from Dawkins or personally paying a recruit or trying to bribe Book or any other state employee. He would have been arrested. The ESPN wiretap report didn't say Miller was arranging part of the $100k to keep for himself, it just said a payment to a player. Thats why it wasn't in the complaint - no state employee coach taking a bribe.

But RELAX, the true story will come out under oath at Book's trial which probably won't start for another 1-2 recruiting cycles - so we've got that going for us! Should be a real cakewalk until then. JFC
UofAlum05

Post by UofAlum05 »

Why anyone is even citing ESPN's article at this point is beyond me.
Last edited by UofAlum05 on Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

UofAlum05 wrote:FYI, one thing I do know. Schlabach had to find another source once his story started taking on water. He went to another defendants attorney asking for verification and was told, "no, because your story is completely incorrect."
Ok...I trust you...but this tells me two things...

1. The information about Schlabach needing another source and going to a defendant IS OUT THERE AND KNOWN...

why is this not being demonstrated/questioned/revealed?

2. Given that his information was WRONG and he was told by a credible source close to the FBI investigation, why has he not corrected the story?

Does he think this will not eventually get out?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Here's one thing I learned:

Rise and Fire's knowledge of the American legal system is of similar quality as his knowledge of basketball strategy.

"Mr. Simpson, don't you worry. I saw an episode of Matlock in a bar last night. The sound was down, but I think I got the gist of it."

-Lionel Hutz
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RiseAndFire wrote:

Who is "we" in this scenario? I assume UCLA? Why the fuck would UCLA get a postseason ban? You're so dumb
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Here's one thing I learned:

Rise and Fire's knowledge of the American legal system is of similar quality as his knowledge of basketball strategy.

"Mr. Simpson, don't you worry. I saw an episode of Matlock in a bar last night. The sound was down, but I think I got the gist of it."

-Lionel Hutz

Only superseded by his knowledge of how the NCAA death penalty works.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I'm announcing my retirement from clicking on this thread when new posts appear.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Oh the irony that Longhorned's post made me click on this thread.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Wait, Rise&Fail used the word “we”?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Longhorned wrote:I'm announcing my retirement from clicking on this thread when new posts appear.
Lmao!!!!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

correct "we" does not apply to Miller humpers living in espn conspiracy fantasyland, just fans of an honest Az bball program with no NCAA sanctions
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

520in480

Post by 520in480 »

https://twitter.com/nathanfenno

I could not figure out how to post a screen shot, but Scheer retweeted a tweet this guy posted about documents linked to now Cal State Northridge coach Mark Gottfried being subpoenaed by the FBI. In a follow-up tweet, he wrote "Among the people the subpoena requested information on: Arizona State assistant Anthony Coleman. He played for Long Beach State and previously worked for Adidas."

Interesting.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Still never getting more than a scholarship reduction. Maybe 2, Maybe 1, wouldn't doubt none.