Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

LBdCactus

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by LBdCactus »

Newportcat wrote:I have met Sean Miller twice in person. Both times I liked him. A little reserved and very different then Lute was, but polite and seemed nice. I have watched what his players have said about him, how he has made us into a players program, and now enjoyed these videos of him working with our players breaking down film. I have seen his press conferences after tourney losses blame himself and not his players, and seem to take the high road. I know it can not be easy being a coach but to me Miller makes it seem easy.

Am I totally clueless, is Miller actually a massive dick?

I say this because I can not understand the hate towards him by ESPN, Vitale, AzCentral, etc. I guess I get AZ Central since its an ASU paper, but still I feel like that article that had NOTHING new in it is a total attack by someone who dislikes Miller. Feels like a lot of this stuff has been.

I am asking this honestly. For people that know or have met him more, is there something I am missing. Because to me it has to be the reason why this stuff is still being brought about him when I seem to hear nothing about Kansas or Zion, etc.

My theory is CSM makes an easy target for lazy "journos", and I'm using that term extremely loosely. Maybe 10 years ago it would have been aimed at Coach Cal. But he's been around long enough, and praised for long enough, that it would take too much mental lifting to actually have to admit they may have missed all that cheatin' all this time. Or that they have been a willing accomplice in this farce (exhibit A: Freshmen Focus). Or you know, status quo is always easier to report on.

It's a combination of the above with a little dash of "if it was only Oregon or USC doing it, no one would care".
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
From the lawsuit:

Monday’s filing by Bowen’s attorneys, which was submitted in the U.S. District Court of South Carolina, includes a section titled, “Racketeering activity involving the University of Kansas.” There, Bowen’s attorneys argue that both KU coach Bill Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend were “aware of a bribe payment made to the legal guardian of Kansas recruit Silvio De Sousa by Adidas and communicated with Defendants Gatto and Gassnola about it.” 
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
From the lawsuit:

Monday’s filing by Bowen’s attorneys, which was submitted in the U.S. District Court of South Carolina, includes a section titled, “Racketeering activity involving the University of Kansas.” There, Bowen’s attorneys argue that both KU coach Bill Self and assistant coach Kurtis Townsend were “aware of a bribe payment made to the legal guardian of Kansas recruit Silvio De Sousa by Adidas and communicated with Defendants Gatto and Gassnola about it.” 

But Sean Miller's emails.... Err.. you know what I mean.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
From the lawsuit:

That is some SERIOUS accusations to make, and frankly I don't think you go to court without some sort of evidence to win your case, people don't generally go to court to bank on frivolous accusations or based on fishing expeditions...I could be wrong...but if he has something in terms of text messages/phone records then the bias against Az is going to be hard to defend by espn and their sots.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote: He did blame a loss at asu on U of A fans but I now will say I chalk that up to frustration and didnt truly mean it
Phoechina....you can shut the fuck up.

Your bringing this up all over the place is trolling, plain and simple, and you're done with it now.

If you have a legitmate beef with something you feel miller did, post about it in the miller thread, and post your evidence of it.

Otherwise keep your fucking trolling the fuck out of every other thread.
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote: He did blame a loss at asu on U of A fans but I now will say I chalk that up to frustration and didnt truly mean it

Your bringing this up all over the place is trolling, plain and simple, and you're done with it now.

If you have a legitmate beef with something you feel miller did, post about it in the miller thread, and post your evidence of it.

POM has become a lot more feisty lately..... I like it!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:

Very mature and very professional of you.

Newport asked if Miller was a dick. That was a total dick move by Miller. It fit the question asked.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Professional? Are we getting paid for this? Cause I need a raise.

Some people are perceived as dicks and some people are most definitely dicks. I know which category I’d put Machina and Sean Miller in respectively.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am kind of curious what the AZ fans did that a coach would blame the fans for the loss? Was that the pregame meeting of fans and team? Mind is drawing a blank
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
prh

Post by prh »

I don't understand why machina would dislike miller for blaming fans for a loss. That's right up machina's alley, seems like a reason he would like Sean

But Chi and POM are on point as usual
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Loved the FBI/Sean Miller timeline graphic during the game. Did they do the same in the Duke game for Zion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

prh wrote:I don't understand why machina would dislike miller for blaming fans for a loss. That's right up machina's alley, seems like a reason he would like Sean

Did that even actually happen?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
prh wrote:I don't understand why machina would dislike miller for blaming fans for a loss. That's right up machina's alley, seems like a reason he would like Sean

I believe machina has heard the audio of a tape where Miller was on a phone call with Dawkins and said it was the fans fault, he got it from Mark Schlabadong...
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I believe he claimed that Miller blamed a loss at ASU for the fact that he (and the players?) had to attend a pregame alumni gathering in Phoenix, or something like that.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I believe he claimed that Miller blamed a loss at ASU for the fact that he (and the players?) had to attend a pregame alumni gathering in Phoenix, or something like that.
this cant be real? is it? is this real?

really?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

97cats wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

really?
It was an event the night before and I heard Miller yell it in person. I was 40 feet away from him when this happened. Heard it with own ears, but it was not directed at me
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

really?
It was an event the night before and I heard Miller yell it in person. I was 40 feet away from him when this happened. Heard it with own ears, but it was not directed at me
He blamed fans for a loss that had not happened yet?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

really?
So let me get this straight, you were at that annual dinner event the night before the ASU game. Miller yelled in person at this event in front of all these alumni that going to this event would cause them to lose the next day to ASU. It was so loud you heard it from 40 feet away....really....just no words

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Mike Luke's burner account.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

really?
He blamed fans for a loss that had not happened yet?
He said the night before if we lose it is your falt.

He called the day after the game the person in charge of the event and blamed them
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Newportcat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
97cats wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:

really?
So let me get this straight, you were at that annual dinner event the night before the ASU game. Miller yelled in person at this event in front of all these alumni that going to this event would cause them to lose the next day to ASU. It was so loud you heard it from 40 feet away....really....just no words

It was in the hallway. Away from the ballroom. He stepped out of the ballroom waived for the people in charge to follow him in the hall and yelled at them there
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I don't think I've ever laughed at a machina post but that shit made me chuckle. :lol:
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So it was Miller in the hallway with a bullhorn. Got it.

What I don’t understand is how him talking to someone in charge of an alumni group before a game became blaming the fans for a loss after. Probably because I don’t speak Bullshitarean.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

:lol:

I’m fucking rolling over here over this.

Miller called out organizers at a alumni event in a semi public setting!?!? This makes no sense. What was the event? Close out the bar with the cats?

And you know what? If this is the case, I side with Miller and getting his team ready for wins rather then fluffing entitled Phoenix alumni the night before a game.

Unreal. :lol:
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote::lol:

Miller called out organizers at a alumni event in a semi public setting!?!? This makes no sense. What was the event? Close out the bar with the cats?

And you know what? If this is the case, I side with Miller and getting his team ready for wins rather then fluffing entitled Phoenix alumni the night before a game.

I was a volunteer at the event and on the committee for the event in charge of putting it on. I was moving silent auction items to the checkout table at the time this happened which is how I saw Miller waive people over and then yell at people. As I said it was the Tip Off Taste which Lute was extremely fond of. Most people were still in the ballroom getting autographs and eating dinner. The event goes back to the early 80s. And so it is clear there was the in person blame in the hallway, the day before the game. And there was also the call two days later, day after the game. Too bad he couldnt blame fans for the loss the next year. And yeah helping underprivileged students attend college is entitlement.
Last edited by PHXCATS on Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Wave.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

What time was the event scheduled for? What time was tip the next day?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This is awesome
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:What time was the event scheduled for? What time was tip the next day?
Doors opened at 7. Miller spoke at 730. Team arrived to eat and do autographs at 745 and was schedule to go to 830 but it actually went to 842 because of the demand and the team taking pictures with fans.

The event was in the ballroom of the hotel the team was staying the night at.

The tipoff of the game vs asu in Tempe was the next day at 7pm. It was the double OT loss to asu
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

PHXCATS wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:What time was the event scheduled for? What time was tip the next day?
Doors opened at 7. Miller spoke at 730. Team arrived to eat and do autographs at 745 and was schedule to go to 830 but it actually went to 842 because of the demand and the team taking pictures with fans.

The tipoff of the game vs asu in Tempe was the next day at 7pm. It was the double OT loss to asu
Hmmm sounds like a planning issue.

Get the team in and out, but don’t have then stay out past what was agreed. That too and, a loss of all involved, including your organization/cause.

Anyways, looks like Miller isn’t joining this year.
http://arizonaalumni.com/event/tempe-wi ... r-down-bob" target="_blank
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CalStateTempe wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Hmmm sounds like a planning issue.

Get the team in and out, but don’t have then stay out past what was agreed. That too and, a loss of all involved, including your organization/cause.

Anyways, looks like Miller isn’t joining this year.
http://arizonaalumni.com/event/tempe-wi ... r-down-bob" target="_blank
Yeah Miller said he would never do it again in 2014. Then he said a few months later than he would but the team had to be out no matter what at the set time which we all agreed to. So plans were made. Couple months later Miller cancelled and said never again. It is years ago. It was lame to blame people for a loss for 12 extra minutes but whatever. I am over it and on full support of Miller now as you can see from my posts about the FBI Investigation and MSPN
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

This is really fucking hilarious. Turns out calling out phoechina for his trollassery gave everyone a huge laugh.

Any evidence, at all, to back up this claim?
A reporter mentioning it somewhere? even in a tweet if not a story?

Cause one thing I'm damn fucking sure of. This would have made a headline. If not in hansen's garbage articles, then most certainly in a paper like the az republic.

I mean, if phoechina heard it 40 feet away in a hallway, damn sure someone else heard it. Oh, and how did he hear the phone call he also says happened? Was he 40 feet away in a hallway when the phone call was put on speakerphone?

fucking priceless
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

PieceOfMeat wrote:This is really fucking hilarious. Turns out calling out phoechina for his trollassery gave everyone a huge laugh.

Cause one thing I'm damn fucking sure of. This would have made a headline. If not in hansen's garbage articles, then most certainly in a paper like the az republic.

I mean, if phoechina heard it 40 feet away in a hallway, damn sure someone else heard it. Oh, and how did he hear the phone call he also says happened? Was he 40 feet away in a hallway when the phone call was put on speakerphone?

fucking priceless
Why would this make a headline. Should Inhave ran and told Paula right when it happened? There were five people there counting Miller and me. Want me to give you the approved board minutes when the alumni officers told the group about the call? And the next year when Miller looked like an idiot and everyone laughed about him not having an excuse for the 2015 loss? That's in the minutes
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

PHXCATS wrote:
PieceOfMeat wrote:This is really fucking hilarious. Turns out calling out phoechina for his trollassery gave everyone a huge laugh.

fucking priceless
Why would this make a headline. Should Inhave ran and told Paula right when it happened? There were five people there counting Miller and me. Want me to give you the approved board minutes when the alumni officers told the group about the call? And the next year when Miller looked like an idiot and everyone laughed about him not having an excuse for the 2015 loss? That's in the minutes
So what you're saying in answer to my question as to whether you have any evidence is.....nope, you sure as fuck don't.

which is damn funny to me cause if you want to rip on miller there's plenty of other things you can rip on instead of making up bullshit like this.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Machina said Miller “blamed the fans” for a loss how many times on this board?

By his own admission today, that story is complete and utter bullshit.

Machina now says he’s moved on . . . from the story he made up. Mighty big of you Machina. Way to forgive Sean Miller for the thing that never actually happened but that you’ve been talking about for years.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Chicat wrote:Machina said Miller “blamed the fans” for a loss how many times on this board?

Machina now says he’s moved on . . . from the story he made up. Mighty big of you Machina. Way to forgive Sean Miller for the thing that never actually happened but that you’ve been talking about for years.
Machina’s post that disappeared...

It happened. I was there when he blamed the fans and organizers for taking too much time saying that if they lost the next day it was their fault and he followed through with it two days later from what I was told. No reason to believe it was a lie from what I saw two days prior
From what you’ve related, he was upset at organizers of an alumni event. Not “fans”. Whether those organizers were also basketball fans is irrelevant.

You’ve used this incident repeatedly to bash Miller and you’ve spoken about it in the vaguest terms on purpose to make it seem like he blamed a large number of fans for a loss after the fact.

I would say it’s hard to believe you call yourself a fan of Arizona Athletics, and repeatedly deride other people for not being big enough supporters, and that all this time you’ve been peddling this lie, but it absolutely is not. It is 100% on brand for you Machina.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

This page brightened my day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Machina said Miller “blamed the fans” for a loss how many times on this board?

I get that the event organizers are probably also fans, but being pissed at event organizers is different from generally blaming fans.

Miller doesn't like that event, it seems like. I have some sympathy for that, because I'm pretty sure if I was a coach, glad handling alums and boosters would be the least fun part of things.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

So this...THIS...is the source of this guy's Miller bashing?

A testy coach dealing with a grip and grin with less than thrilled countenance? Holy shit! I could write a book on the number of things I heard Dick Tomey say about our fans and grip and grinners and boosters that were far more negative. Tomey created a complete "the family is in this locker room, and every one else is a distraction or an enemy...including the fans" vibe that worked for him. But I still love the guy.

Coaches are all like this. Some are more honest than others. So, cite Miller for not being a politician. He wears his heart on his sleeve. Some can look into your eye and smile, seeing through your soul to your pocketbook. Some just want to game plan and do their job. Miller is the latter.

This is gold...a coach getting lippy about an alumni event is the source of this entire multi-year troll? Wow. I came late to this community, so I missed the details.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The bottom line is that a coach likes to control his program. That's his job, because there are so many things and outside influences that a coach can't control that seep into a program and become disruptive. So when an alumni event goes long or takes a coach out of his comfort zone, he's not gonna like it. This is the proverbial "making a mountain out of a mole hill." And I can guarantee Lute was no different about things like this as well. It's just that with the internet things like this take on a life of their own and never go away.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:with the internet things like this take on a life of their own and never go away.
More accurately, someone used the internet for years to spread a baseless and slanderous rumor that he made up.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:with the internet things like this take on a life of their own and never go away.
More accurately, someone used the internet for years to spread a baseless and slanderous rumor that he made up.
Well, yeah. That too :)
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I bet if you asked dickie v, he would corroborate the story.
Yeah baby, that's exactly how it went down, #noclass @aplayersprogram #coachkrocks
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

CalStateTempe wrote::lol:

Omg how'd I miss this destruction of our biggest troll? LMAO
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Amazing
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I would like the official record keeper of this board to remember that it was my random question asking about Sean Miller that changed the course of history by being the impenitence for revealing that the stories from Machina about Sean Miller saying U of A fans caused a loss to ASU and was thereby an asshole were completely false and untrue. In turn a troll was destroyed and put in his place and this thread potentially turned from something that could destroy us all to something magical.

Where is rep when you need it
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Lawyers are expensive

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news/lo ... 120399002/" target="_blank
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Newportcat wrote:I would like the official record keeper of this board to remember that it was my random question asking about Sean Miller that changed the course of history by being the impenitence for revealing that the stories from Machina about Sean Miller saying U of A fans caused a loss to ASU and was thereby an asshole were completely false and untrue. In turn a troll was destroyed and put in his place and this thread potentially turned from something that could destroy us all to something magical.

Hey now, I'd like to think I had something to do with it too.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Newportcat wrote:I would like the official record keeper of this board to remember that it was my random question asking about Sean Miller that changed the course of history by being the impenitence for revealing that the stories from Machina about Sean Miller saying U of A fans caused a loss to ASU and was thereby an asshole were completely false and untrue. In turn a troll was destroyed and put in his place and this thread potentially turned from something that could destroy us all to something magical.

Hey now, I'd like to think I had something to do with it too.
Secret rep club rep coming your way boys.