Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

SabinoDrifter

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by SabinoDrifter »

zonagrad wrote:Under normal journalistic principles, a writer would go to extreme lengths to couch wild statements from a defense lawyer. A piece would indicate there is zero evidence and zero corroboration about the charges made by the defense lawyer. The reporter would state that the prosecution had made no affirmation of the statements. (As it is, the prosecution has been curiously silent about the case).

Many years ago, ESPN's standard of reporting required a 2nd or even 3rd level of confirmation from an unnamed source. Now it appears a single defense lawyer making a phone call to a reporter is the standard. The bar on responsible reporting certainly has been lowered.

ESPN can hide behind the veil of attribution. But when it's said and done, what then? If Miller hasn't done the things he's accused of and when the trial is over, will he unleash on ESPN and others?
The business model has changed and it's no longer about good reporting, rather than clicks and website / app volume. A lot of these investigative reporters are in over their heads and don't have the experience to handle these situations. And furthermore, this has been a relative non-story and ESPN and Yahoo Sports are trying to make it a bigger issue to drive traffic. I mean the hot takes about this when it first broke was that is was going to change college basketball forever :lol:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

pc in NM wrote:
97cats wrote:all i know, is that in the last 25 years, 95% of the kids in the top 25 got paid something to do something, and the next 26-50 and beyond participated when asked to the table too.

the parent-kid-family-handler-coach-etc. saying, "no thank you, next" to the extra benefits was/is about as common as a four leafed clover
So, if a "parent-kid-family-handler-etc." accepted money, that, if disclosed, would constitute an NCAA violation, and therefore, make them ineligible under NCAA regulations. Correct?
It isn't even a clear answer under NCAA kangaroo court. See Cam Newton, where his dad was shopping him, but the NCAA did nothing because Cam didn't know.

Just accept most top basketball recruits have compromised eligibility, accept that it isn't morally wrong, hope we're not the scapegoat for all of this, and move on.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

So today is supposed to be the "meat and potatoes" of the dawkins trial...this is where the major whiffs of Miller and convo will be introduced, in spite of the fact that the Judge has ruled Miller need not testify (basically quashed the subpoena to testify)...

Here's my best guess...nada...nothing...zilch...the defense will SAY "We have proof that coaches have talked about money and paying for recruits, we have Miller on tape"...but the actual record will show that the conversation is exactly as Miller has claimed, he never talked to dawkins about Ayton until AFTER Ayton had signed and basically told Dawkins to take a hike...this would "technically" classify as a conversation the way they have suggested, but it would have the same factual evidence of proving Bigfoots existence by claiming you almost saw him once...

"I almost saw Bigfoot" = "Bigfoot is real" because someone almost saw him....

Of course the people who want bigfoot to be real (Miller to be dirty) will claim this is the proof that will bring down the UofA...

But clearer heads will prevail and the NCAA will get tired of the dog and pony shit show in May and will basically remove ONE scholarship and suspend Miller for 3 games next year for lack of institutional control over Book...

Dick V will come close to an aneurysm over the travesty of the NCAA punishment and scream about the incredible lack of moral fortitude in UA not firing Miller...

The End. Fine. Fat lady sings. Move on.

Then we get our revenge. Arya Stark Red Wedding Revenge...Dick Vitale eats Mark Schlabach thumb in his rigatoni...ESPN has to watch us cut down the nets.

Fuck 'em.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:The End. Fine. Fat lady sings. Move on.

Then we get our revenge. Arya Stark Red Wedding Revenge...Dick Vitale eats Mark Schlabach thumb in his rigatoni...ESPN has to watch us cut down the nets.

Fuck 'em.
Oh man, that just gave me chills. I love it. Dick Vitale's glass eye ends up bobbing in Jay Bilas's tomato soup.

Awesome baby! WIth a capital aaaaaaaaaaah . . . . . go fuck yourself.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Norlander is following the trial. You can find his notes in this thread.
So far it was mostly about paying football players. No mention of Arizona yet.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:Norlander is following the trial. You can find his notes in this thread.
If the topic is paying for highly rated football talent, I feel like Arizona is 100% in the clear on that.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:So today is supposed to be the "meat and potatoes" of the dawkins trial...this is where the major whiffs of Miller and convo will be introduced, in spite of the fact that the Judge has ruled Miller need not testify (basically quashed the subpoena to testify)...

Here's my best guess...nada...nothing...zilch...the defense will SAY "We have proof that coaches have talked about money and paying for recruits, we have Miller on tape"...but the actual record will show that the conversation is exactly as Miller has claimed, he never talked to dawkins about Ayton until AFTER Ayton had signed and basically told Dawkins to take a hike...this would "technically" classify as a conversation the way they have suggested, but it would have the same factual evidence of proving Bigfoots existence by claiming you almost saw him once...

"I almost saw Bigfoot" = "Bigfoot is real" because someone almost saw him....

Of course the people who want bigfoot to be real (Miller to be dirty) will claim this is the proof that will bring down the UofA...

But clearer heads will prevail and the NCAA will get tired of the dog and pony shit show in May and will basically remove ONE scholarship and suspend Miller for 3 games next year for lack of institutional control over Book...

Dick V will come close to an aneurysm over the travesty of the NCAA punishment and scream about the incredible lack of moral fortitude in UA not firing Miller...

The End. Fine. Fat lady sings. Move on.

Fuck 'em.
But but but, we should have self sanctioned, fired Miller and got out ahead of this thing. Just hope at some point when it is done Miller or someone in the media takes on ESPIN and all of those asshats of gameday
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
If the topic is paying for highly rated football talent, I feel like Arizona is 100% in the clear on that.

:lol:
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:Norlander is following the trial. You can find his notes in this thread.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
this gem is clearly in the early drivers seat for post of the year
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
:lol:

You're correct...
Although he testified that he was paying some kids $100 a month. That's Arizona Good, right?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Unc is such a dirty dirty institution
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:Unc is such a dirty dirty institution
Yep. I always think to myself, if there's a fair (or massive) amount of cheating going on in hoops, just imagine what's happening in football. Much bigger business, must more at stake.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Post of the Decade!
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Newportcat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Post of the Decade!
Like fine wine.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Unc is such a dirty dirty institution
So glad they landed the #2 player in the class today. Roy will probably only give him 15 minutes per game though.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Twitter thread
Here's others, in text form, from Twitter thread above

I'll keep updating

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: The context of these quotes came via undercover video on a yacht in New York City in June of 2017.

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Dawkins: "And the the thing with Book, Arizona is like, Sean Miller has to know everything that's going on. I can call Sean and have a conversation like, this is whats going on. Like, this is what's needing to be done. He's very -- like, he'll talk on the phone about ... "

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: At this point, Marty Blazer -- still on the witness stand -- said under direct examination that Dawkins was conveying Miller would "talk about inappropriate things with recruiting, paying the money and those sorts of things."

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: More Marty Blazer from the stand: "Sean Miller was taking care of everything for Deandre Ayton and his family."

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Dawkins, caught on tap: "I need to talk to Sean because Book uses me. Him and Sean hate each other. It's a weird -- it's like a bad marriage."

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: More Dawkins, conveying what Sean Miller allegedly told him: "I'm taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I'll turn everything over to you."

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Dawkins, via wiretap, on Rick Pitino: "Rick Pitino may be the only person who doesn't know what's going on. Like, Rick has no clue what's going on at his school."

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Dawkins talking about Arizona, linking up with Book Richardson and Deandre Ayton: "If you're gonna fund those kind of guys, man, like, we'd be running college basketball." He is saying this on a yacht to two undercover agents, by the way.

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Screenshots of text messages showed Dawkins' plan to, at the very least, make contact with many coaches to eventually/hopefully attempt to get into business with them and/or the programs they worked for. There were a lot of targets. They're coming in the next tweet.

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Targets Dawkins listed (and obviously never made contact with many): Sean Miller, Rick Pitino, Tom Izzo, Will Wade, Marvin Menzies, Kevin Keatts, Dennis Felton. Assistants: Book Richardson, Kenny Johnson, Jordan Fair, Mike Morrell, Greg Heir, Tony Bland, Preston Murphy ...

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Saddi Washington, Dane Fife, Dwayne Stephens, Leo Dawkins, Chris Caputo, Jamal Walker, Amir Abdur-Rahim, Anthony Coleman and Yasir Rosemond.

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Blazer testified that former Creighton asst Preston Murphy accepted $6,000 dollars to help funnel players to Dawkins' company in June of 2017. He also said Markelle Fultz's agent, Raymond Brothers, agreed to direct some of "Fultz's business" to Dawkins' company

• Tweet from @MattNorlander: Steve Haney, attorney for Christian Dawkins, says he is going to make an argument to the judge Thursday morning to reconsidering having coaches testify in this case. (Sean Miller would be the obvious one here, as he was brought up in the prosecution’s arguments today.)
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I'm still greatly inclined to think that none of this will impact Miller. Nor should it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

So I lot of tweets that Dawkins tells undercover agents, "Sean Miller says this. Sean Miller says that." So are there any actual recordings of Dawkins and Miller or is this just Dawkins making wild statements?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:So I lot of tweets that Dawkins tells undercover agents, "Sean Miller says this. Sean Miller says that." So are there any actual recordings of Dawkins and Miller or is this just Dawkins making wild statements?
Also Blazer saying what he thought Dawkins meant. I'm so fucking tired of hearsay garbage.

Book and Miller hating each other is fun considering Miller could've let the guy go LONG ago.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So this is Blazer talking to undercover agents about what Dawkins told him about what Sean Miller allegedly said?

Color me unimpressed, but I'm sure this is enough for Dukie V to get his first erection in decades.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:So this is Blazer talking to undercover agents about what Dawkins told him about what Sean Miller allegedly said?

Color me unimpressed, but I'm sure this is enough for Dukie V to get his first erection in decades.
No!!!!

Dick blew his nut a year ago when he was calling for Miller's firing ASAP.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:So this is Blazer talking to undercover agents about what Dawkins told him about what Sean Miller allegedly said?

It's just Dawkins talking to undercover FBI agents on a yacht.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Ah, got it.

At this point I want them to play the wiretap of Miller and Dawkins. My bet is that Dawkins is so full of shit his breath smells like diarrhea.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

Ah, got it.

At this point I want them to play the wiretap of Miller and Dawkins. My bet is that Dawkins is so full of shit his breath smells like diarrhea.
If there was anything on those taps Miller would've already been arrested for defrauding U of A.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Yeah. So far, this is just more of what Dawkins says.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Media and other people will always overreact to this stuff. Will always take a huge PR hit and will never be vindicated.

Anyway, everything Dawkins says is bullshit unless he's talking about Sean Miller.

Chicat wrote: Color me unimpressed, but I'm sure this is enough for Dukie V to get his first erection in decades.
That's because his boy is vindicated!
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

This is my conclusion.

Dawkins was on an FBI wiretap talking about paying DeAndre Ayton. However, that doesn't mean Sean Miller was on a wiretap phone conversation with Christian Dawkins about paying DeAndre Ayton. And the first item is what was reported ad nauseam by the media. It is a fucking joke.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Well that didn’t take long. My phone pings a CBS article titled, “Miller knowingly cheats on FBI video”. I read it and it’s all the heresay Dawkins is throwing around. They need Miller on that stand and are throwing out shit to make it happen. Still not one credible wiretap or recorded call of Miller anywhere
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

So is this THE Miller FBI wiretap tape?

Dawkins talking about Miller, not actually Miller on tape?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

SabinoDrifter wrote:This is my conclusion.

Dawkins was on an FBI wiretap talking about paying DeAndre Ayton. However, that doesn't mean Sean Miller was on a wiretap phone conversation with Christian Dawkins about paying DeAndre Ayton. And the first item is what was reported ad nauseam by the media. It is a fucking joke.
Miller has made it clear in public statements that he has never discussed paying players and the one time it came up he shot it down...my best guess is that Miller told dawkins to go fuck himself, eat shit and NEVER contact his program again MOTHERFUCKER, or I will call the FBI on you...it probably pissed Dawkins off and this is the reason this narrative is the defenses main target, because its all dawkins can think about...he's trying to bring down Miller as revenge even though Miller probably forgot all about it.

The chances of the UA and the FBI clearing Miller and there being a tape with the kind of conversation that Dawkins is suggesting are nil...

If the FBI had evidence of ANY kind that Miller was dirty he would have been named in the initial summit where they said "We have your playbook"...

There's a good chance the FBI thought this would be a much bigger deal than it has turned out to be...and frankly I am prone to believe that the majority of NCAA coaches do not have ANY evidence of pay-for-play schemes in their programs...

Sure the shoe companies want endorsements but those endorsements come AFTER college and they know that coaches tread a very thin line so my best guess is they stay clear of the actual programs and on occasion talk to assistant coaches (who probably have more influence at this level)...

Until I see evidence of a coach on tape admitting to paying to have a player come to his school I remain skeptical because the bag-men here are known liars...

You don't ask Al Capone for tax advice, why believe anything Dawkins says?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

"I'm taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I'll turn everything over to you."
According to Dawkins, that's what Sean Miller told him. But he didn't bring him in. Not even fucking close. And from that Fuckstick Schlabach's report, Miller is supposedly on tape telling Dawkins to only talk to him.

I'm more convinced than ever that Sean Miller knew that Book had a drinking and money problem and that it was just a matter of time before Book got him in trouble.

Why the fuck didn't Sean Miller tell both those assholes to take a hike???
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bleacher Report: Sean Miller Told Christian Dawkins He'd Handle Deandre Ayton Recruitment

Article: Dawkins said so and that's good enough for us.

This whole circus is such a fucking joke. Dawkins is a liar. He lied to these undercover agents because he was trying to get them to fund his business. He made fraudulent statements to try to get his little company above water and now we're going to make those statements headlines, stated as fact, because everyone is a fucking moron.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I know it's been "no comment" from Miller so far, but his lawyer needs to come out and remind everyone that this Dawkins guy lies to everyone and had plenty of motivation to lie about his ties to Sean Miller.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Here's the deal, an honest man doesn't defend himself...he lets the evidence do it...Dawkins will go to jail and be proven a complete fraud and liar...Millers lawyers know this...they've probably seen the evidence against Dawkins...and every sports outlet trying to create buzz will have Dawkins cum all over their face when its done...never get between a hungry pervert and the object of their erection...Bleacher report will need more bleach than er when this is done.
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

MountainCat wrote:
Unbelievable. And Chi is right: we need to hear from Miller's attorney.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:
"I'm taking care of everything myself. I wanna bring you in. I'll turn everything over to you."
According to Dawkins, that's what Sean Miller told him. But he didn't bring him in. Not even fucking close. And from that Fuckstick Schlabach's report, Miller is supposedly on tape telling Dawkins to only talk to him.

I'm more convinced than ever that Sean Miller knew that Book had a drinking and money problem and that it was just a matter of time before Book got him in trouble.

for anyone paying attention, ive been dropping hints at this for almost two years, Miller knew, and he took action to save his ass.

period
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:

for anyone paying attention, ive been dropping hints at this for almost two years, Miller knew, and he took action to save his ass.

period
If this is what you say it is I love it and will celebrate like Cinco De Mayo in Tijuana when the truth of it comes out and ESPN has to fire Schlabach for being clueless and dumber than a shit sandwich.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:

period
If this is what you say it is I love it and will celebrate like Cinco De Mayo in Tijuana when the truth of it comes out and ESPN has to fire Schlabach for being clueless and dumber than a shit sandwich.
Someone help me out on this: When you've been caught on a wire tap involving another person of interest, doesn't the FBI have a certain amount of time to formally inform you that you've been caught on a warranted wire tap?

And if so, wouldn't Miller know exactly what conversation he was recorded? And knowing that, Miller could confidently and defiantly refute media reports that he knew were completely false?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Sigh....

Trying to find what Miller could've done to cover himself. So finds out Book has the feds on him, or knows Dawkins is dirty. So he let's his assistant coach get caught committing crimes, investigated, arrested -the investigation would most likely be spread to the program and head coach- and that somehow absolves Miller?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

97cats wrote:
Chicat wrote:I'm more convinced than ever that Sean Miller knew that Book had a drinking and money problem and that it was just a matter of time before Book got him in trouble.

period
Still grateful for those insights from you 97, think that was back when the FBI fire was burning hottest.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller as mole.

Love it.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

zonagrad wrote:
97cats wrote:

period
Someone help me out on this: When you've been caught on a wire tap involving another person of interest, doesn't the FBI have a certain amount of time to formally inform you that you've been caught on a warranted wire tap?

And if so, wouldn't Miller know exactly what conversation he was recorded? And knowing that, Miller could confidently and defiantly refute media reports that he knew were completely false?
The US attorneys notified multimedia parties who were caught in a wiretap,

From the original 247 story refuting the Schlabach story

https://247sports.com/Article/Sources-C ... 115594868/" target="_blank
But the timeline doesn't add up.

A source told 247Sports that Dawkins (who had his phone tapped by the FBI) and Miller had calls intercepted between the timeframe of June 19 of 2017, through Sept. 25.

Sources say that the U.S. Attorney's office notified multiple parties who had conversations with Dawkins that their phone calls had been recorded specifically during the dates of June 19, 2017 and Sept. 25, 2017.

The fourth-ranked player in the 247Sports Composite, Ayton signed with Arizona on Nov. 10 of 2016. He arrived on campus on June 10 of 2017, according to a source. Ayton began orientation on June 19.
Ok, so here's the timeline
  • • Miller and Dawkins (+ others) caught on wiretap from 6/19/2017-9/25/2017
    • Quinerly commits to Arizona 8/08/2017
    • Book (and others) arrested 9/26/2017
Now to remind everyone, the Quinerly commitment/recruitment was what brought Book into the FBI investigation - super late into this investigation. He took the bribe money, tied to Quinerly recruitment.

So... OK. Miller had to have been caught in a wiretap in late June through July for this to make sense (couldn't have been in September). He then let's Book continue recruiting, get the commitment of Quinerly. Does this make sense? Something that brings scrutiny to the program and Miller himself? Unless Book did it behind his back, which makes the most sense or maybe it was already too late and he was notified he was caught on a wiretap after the Quinerly commitment. I still don't see what Miller could've done personally to save his own ass.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Sigh....

Trying to find what Miller could've done to cover himself. So finds out Book has the feds on him, or knows Dawkins is dirty. So he let's his assistant coach get caught committing crimes, investigated, arrested -the investigation would most likely be spread to the program and head coach- and that somehow absolves Miller?
In the scenario you've described, I don't see how Miller is absolved.

UofA administration has quite a PR challenge on their hands.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zonagrad wrote:

yes - and they did inform w/in that required time
zonagrad wrote:And if so, wouldn't Miller know exactly what conversation he was recorded?
yes, in June, and why it was recorded too.
zonagrad wrote:And knowing that, Miller could confidently and defiantly refute media reports that he knew were completely false?
yes

but bigger, when he was notified of the recording he knew more were coming, Book had not been made aware up to this point, not till the end of August.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

CalStateTempe wrote:Miller as mole.

Love it.
i wouldnt go that far
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Do we know what happened or what was discussed when the FBI came to Miller's home the day Book was arrested. Or is it even relevant or mean anything?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
NYCat wrote:Sigh....

In the scenario you've described, I don't see how Miller is absolved.

UofA administration has quite a PR challenge on their hands.

Quinnerly committed to Arizona in August. All sorts of allegations about offers to him. Yet he is immediately cleared to play for Villanova?

I still think this whole thing is a ton of conjecture by a small time crook (Dawkins) trying like hell to get his hand in the game for agents and sell his "credibility with coaches and programs."

I think Dawkins has been playing with a weak hand. He's bluffed his way since the beginning and the media have eaten up his leaks. But Dawkins hasn't been able to put any real cards on the table that implicates anyone who hasn't already been charged.