Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

zonagrad

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:This is so not the right place for this, but I managed to squeeze in Endgame yesterday. If you'd like to take your mind off Dawkins and Schlabach and Zagoria and the rest of this sh*tshow for a few hours, I strongly recommend.

Bear down!
I'd like to think Sean Miller and Arizona are playing their own version of Avengers, and all the shit is coming to an end. But we're still in the middle of the storyline as the plot has taken twists and turns. And the climax scene is when Miller is cleared and Arizona takes the court with a stellar recruiting class and begins kicking ass and taking names while media pundits are left with a severe case of writer's block because they don't have any more bullshit to leak.

Roll the credits.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

So let me remind you what the indictment says Dawkin's said and who Dawkins is.
1. As stated in the Book incitement on page 24 “According to DAWKINS, the path to securing commitments was through assistant coaches such as Evans because “the head coach….ain’t willing to take bribes ‘cause they’re making too much money. And it’s too risky”.
2. Same page of the indictment –“DAWKINS stated during a car ride it was “better” to work with assistant coaches – as opposed to a head coach – because then you got direct access to the athletes.
3. Just who is DAWKINS. A 24 y/o who was terminated for use of a professional athlete’s credit card to pay for his own expenses from a ride service Co. - page 20 ( goes to credibility)
4. . When Dawkins was asked to send us a list top 10 or 15 coaches, Dawkins specifically clarified SOOD meant assistant coaches and SOOD responded in the affirmative. Page 43
5. Other general impressions are DAWKINS was a liar and a thief. He was given $25K to give to a recruits dad and only gave him $19.5K page 18/19 of James Gatto inditement. He also asked Book to say they were close and had known each other a long time which was not true.
My thoughts ......where the $100K was coming from. Sean Miller going to pay out of this pocket ? NO other coach did this and the shoe companies are the ones with that kind of doe. You would have to believe Sean was willing to give about 7% of his BASE pay. I couldn’t figure out where the 100K was coming from so I was very skeptical about that unless Nike was involved.
…..Dawkin’s was selling a business model and said he has some assistant’s in his pocket (Book, Bland, Evans etc.) and now Miller (not stated originally). Don’t you think that would make your business infinitely more valuable? He says it on the yacht but not originally. In fact contradicts it by saying assistants were the way to go.

FOLLOW THE MONEY.

StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

ASUHATER! wrote:We were all idiots at 22 right
I guess this is a bad time to mention I'm 22 :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Enjoy it, especially if you're at UofA. That is just a glorious place to be at that age.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

Beachcat97 wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Enjoy it, especially if you're at UofA. That is just a glorious place to be at that age.
Just graduated in May of last year. I fucking loved it.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:
Awesome. Self awareness is the best attribute you can have. Go get 'em!!!!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Interesting how Arizona does not get the same benefit of the doubt. Apparently Dawkins saying something second hand is enough evidence
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

First mention of Arizona today
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:First mention of Arizona today
No shock, that's the Quinerly allegation directly. I doubt that hurts us given Quinerly's status.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:

I take two things away from this.

a) Sood is speculating
b) There was not a lot of time for Sood to help recruit as this was 4/24/17 and the arrest took place in September 17
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
NYCat wrote:

I take two things away from this.

a) Sood is speculating
b) There was not a lot of time for Sood to help recruit as this was 4/24/17 and the arrest took place in September 17
Book was the latest assistant to the party in the FBI complaint. I always thought that helped/hurt us.

It helped us because a lot of Dawkins's scheming relative to us didn't materialize by the time of arrest. It hurt us because we were jumping in around the time of the wire(s). We were the new, sexy prospect for Dawkins, so he talked about us. That's why he was hyping up having the supposed in with Miller.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Matt Norlander

Replying to @MattNorlander

Sood said he gave $30,000 to send to Markelle Fultz's grassroots coach, Keith Williams. In an email discussing this, Dawkins wrote Williams was "a loyal guy and will listen to me to a certain extent. We are taking care of him."

@MattNorlander
Sood testified that Steve Pina, an agent at ASM under Andy Miller, requested money for Kyle Kuzma when Kuzma was still at Utah. Sood said he delivered that money and that Kuzma is still a client of his.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:Matt Norlander

Replying to @MattNorlander

Sood said he gave $30,000 to send to Markelle Fultz's grassroots coach, Keith Williams. In an email discussing this, Dawkins wrote Williams was "a loyal guy and will listen to me to a certain extent. We are taking care of him."

@MattNorlander
Sood testified that Steve Pina, an agent at ASM under Andy Miller, requested money for Kyle Kuzma when Kuzma was still at Utah. Sood said he delivered that money and that Kuzma is still a client of his.
I'm sorry, I can't read your posts. All this translates to is Sean Miller is dirty, crooked, etc...

Sarcasm!!!!
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

97cats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:I was a genius at 22, if you asked me at 22.
did we meet when you were 22? i felt like we did :D
Olsondogg wrote:At 42 I’d tell you I’m lucky I’m alive.
glad you are, my man
Yeah maybe we did meet...who knows?

I know that I started dating my wife at 22, so there were some genius decisions too...but man oh man, the stories I've forgotten.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

I've learned a little but still the same guy.

Then and now:

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Longhorned wrote:I've learned a little but still the same guy.

Then and now:

Huh?

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

With all the names and coaches that have come up in this trial from East coast to West coast, can't wait till the trial is over and ESPN is back ignoring 99% of the testimony and back on Miller's balls again. Will be some forthcoming article by Schlabach to save his ass bringing Sean Miller up again from this latest round of muck and will be all gee what do we do with this Sean Miller guy look at all he's done!

At this point Miller's an extremely minor pawn in the big scheme of things and college recruiting.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Defense: Paying coaches was a scam, not bribes

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... not-bribes" target="_blank

First article I have seen without AZ mentioned
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I keep having to remind myself that the NCAA is in the business of printing money on someone else's likeness and then keeping as much of that money strictly for themselves.

I am sure there will be a scapegoat to come from all this, but the more blue blood programs are hit---oh and interesting how Football got mentioned but hardly a peep came about from it...

Well, we shall see what, if anything, comes about from all this.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Gilbertcat wrote:Defense: Paying coaches was a scam, not bribes

Did Schlabach change his name and gender?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Defense: Paying coaches was a scam, not bribes

Did Schlabach change his name and gender?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Twitter thread

looks like it'll be another Arizona day..
Rest of Twitter thread in text form...
•Video of Book Richardson meeting with undercover agents and Sood in a hotel room in June of 2017 was shown in court today. In this meeting, Sood testified that Richardson took $5,000 to start his business relationship of steering Arizona players to Dawkins' company.

• Sood testified that the recruitment of Deandre Ayton was a part of this scheme, but the player who's been most frequently referenced is former Arizona guard Rawle Alkins. Book Richardson is also caught on video referring to Allonzo Trier as well.

• This meeting with Richardson happened in New York in June of 2017. After Book's meeting, the agents and Blazer and Sood met with Merl Code. We also found out today that Creighton's Preston Murphy was scheduled to meet, but did not due to an illness w/ either him or a fam member.

• In a call b/w Sood and Dawkins on 6.2.17 there is reference to the recruitment of player — who has not been identified — and Dawkins says, "I mean, because I talk to Sean. Sean's the one who fronted that deal. So it's gonna be some money but I mean, we'll figure it out."

• In a call on 7.7.17, Dawkins says to Sood on a call, "I gotta talk to him about this shit with Book because Book needs to get some money up front to try to get this shit done for the recruit. ... Book needs 15 grand, but what he's saying is, that's going close the deal for him."

• Here's Book, in meeting in which it's testified he took 5K, to undercover agents, Sood, Blazer: "You're gonna get Rawle. That's a a fact. There's like, you're gonna get Rawle Alkins, he's gonna be a first rounder." Book then mentions Trier, Ayton, Jahvon Quinerly and Naz Reid.

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

That's all 100% in line with the initial FBI complaint so far.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Nothing new. Same old issue of us wondering what the fuck Sean was thinking when he kept Book on his staff given what we and everyone knew about Book prior to that video between Book and Sood.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

• In a call b/w Sood and Dawkins on 6.2.17 there is reference to the recruitment of player — who has not been identified — and Dawkins says, "I mean, because I talk to Sean. Sean's the one who fronted that deal. So it's gonna be some money but I mean, we'll figure it out."
Part of me wonders if this isn't where Schlabach's Ayton story came from. The rest of the story sounds like Sood and Dawkins trying to buy their way into recruits, including Ayton, and they say Miller handled Ayton's recruitment himself. So, if you're trying to get in on Ayton...
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Part of me wonders if this isn't where Schlabach's Ayton story came from. The rest of the story sounds like Sood and Dawkins trying to buy their way into recruits, including Ayton, and they say Miller handled Ayton's recruitment himself. So, if you're trying to get in on Ayton...
Seems they're talking about Quinerly. Ayton was like 7 days from starting summer school at Arizona. Also why would Miller need Dawkins if he's paying someone directly?
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Longhorned wrote:Nothing new. Same old issue of us wondering what the fuck Sean was thinking when he kept Book on his staff given what we and everyone knew about Book prior to that video between Book and Sood.
LH, on the flip side.. what if Ace did not "disappear" and continued his relationship with Book... does this even ever happen? :o
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Seems they're talking about Quinerly. Ayton was like 7 days from starting summer school at Arizona.
Yeah, but I'm not sure that Dawkins and Sood are talking $ to get a recruit to Arizona. Dawkins and Sood were paying ultimately for access to Arizona players and hopefully steering players to their agency.

The money they refer to...was that for a player to AZ or an AZ recruit to Dawkins/Sood. My reservation about Quinerly is that it's been clear in other places Book was the one running that show.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I'm mostly guessing Quinerly or maybe a Naz Reid because of the wording and the date and timeline. To me it seems to indicate active not past.
In a call b/w Sood and Dawkins on 6.2.17 there is reference to the recruitment of player — who has not been identified
I don't really see Ayton as an ongoing recruitment, not since he was committed since last fall (2016). And was scheduled to shown up during the summer. But maybe Norlander worded it wrong or missed some context because of the tweet limits.

I will say though the insinuation of Sean "fronting" money does seem to indicate something in the past and Sood/Dawkins having to come up with the $$$ to pay back Miller (I guess? If that tweet is correct).
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

There are few things on the internet as enjoyable as opening this thread and seeing the most recent additions.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

lol I remember Choo (?) saying this and being pissed that he didn't take the fucking job

So close ..
• Book Richardson on video claims Will Wade told him about Naz Reid: “Look, there’s a deal in place, I got $300,000 for him."
Book then says, “I said listen, shit, give me half that and I’ll make sure he goes there.”

• Richardson also says on the video about Mississippi State: "If I'm recruiting against Mississippi State, all bets are off."

• Richardson on recruiting in the SEC: "In that league, I'll give you this guy to sign 20, 30, 40 grand."

Sood shortly thereafter: "And that's allowed?"
Richardson: "Oh, no. Of course not, no."

• Munish Sood also testified Monday that Book Richardson took $15,000, money that was wanted for the recruitment of Jahvon Quinerly. Richardson explains to an undercover officer the tricky logistics of how he is hoping to make this work and dealing with Quinerly's mother.

• "You gotta find a job. ... This is what I'll do. This is what I can do for you to put you in a situation to move to Tucscon. ... I don't want the NCAA fucking with us. You should take one or two more visists and then shut it down. And then as soon as you do that, you commit."

• This is Richardson, in Princeton, New Jersey in July of 2017, explaining to Sood and the undercover officer what's happening with Quinerly's recruitment and his mother. "So, she's -- she's been like, they've been good with me in terms of following the script."

• The undercover agent to Book: "We're gonna do -- gonna do 15 for three months, right? And that should help with the kids?"

Richardson: "It better help with the kids."

• We also learned today that Sood, an undercover agent and Christian Dawkins met in August 2017 with Rodney, Rawle Alkins' cousin, to establish a business relationship so Book Richardson could steer Alkins to Dawkins' company.

• Book Richardson in a meeting capture at a restaurant in Tucson in August 2017, says of Deandre Ayton's mother: "Because mom is loyal to someone else." This conversation brings up a $50,000 figure, and Sood testified they were seeking an introduction to Ayton to gauge his interest

• Dawkins was caught on a wiretap telling an undercover agent: “I’ve already given Rick (Pitino) a kid before” and “you already know how I am with Arizona. I can go to Arizona practices like I am a member of the team."

• On 5.31.17, Dawkins emailed Sood a list of programs/coaches he was targeting: Arizona, Louisville, Michigan State, Michigan, Cleveland State, Texas, LSU, DePaul, Creighton, USC, Alabama and Western Kentucky. Sood testified he only ever met w/ Book at Zona and Tony Bland of USC.

• Book Richardson on 6.20.17 to undercover agents, Sood and Sood's assistant: "I want to thank you four for spending time with me. Because you cause -- my goal is that they look at you guys as family." He's referring to Arizona recruits and players in relation to Dawkins' company.

• Book, cont.: "Whatever you think someone's telling you, tell them to show you in cash. They're not doing that." Says if Dawkins shows up on Arizona's campus "he's getting Rawle Alkins. Like, I'm telling you, he's getting Rawle Alkins. The, like, there's no ifs ands about that."

• This is the conversation where Richardson also invokes Deandre Ayton, Jahvon Quinerly and Naz Reid. On Quinerly, he says, "And I'm like, fuck, OK, so this is what I tell the kid. If you commit, I'll give you 5 grand." Says he's taken money out of his TIAA-CREF to fund players.

• Richardson on Alkins' cousin's move to Tucson: "His cousin moved to Tucson, which I'm highly against. I never want the parents or any one to move there. I'll give you 2 grand a month to make sure it works. But he brought him, his wife and his child. Wrong move."

• Book Richardson: "If anything happens, it's their word against mine. And when it's cash, you know, I don't know what they're talking about."

• Book says players he recruits "always gonna defer to me" and then says when you allow players "to make their decisions it can go any way." He says when Quinerly is on campus for a visit, he's gonna call Dawkins & Co. and have Quinerly talking to them like their his aunts+uncles.

• "If I did not trust you, I would be here," Richardson said the June 2017 meeting in which Sood testified Richardson took $5,000. "And you know, everything we talk about stays here. So we, we're very, very private about this stuff.'

• In a meeting w/ undercover agents, Dawkins + Sood at Arizona on 8.30.17, Richardson says as long as Alkins' mom isn't involved in this deal, it should work.

Dawkins: I think he'll do what you tell him to.

Richardson: He will.

They set up a meeting w/ Alkins' cousin, Rodney.

• Sood testified he was hoping to link up with Ayton when he said this to Richardson: "Just remember what you said when we first saw you. You're no longer giving suggestions. You're telling them."
Book is very sloppy JFC
Last edited by NYCat on Mon Apr 29, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Fuckin' Book. What an a-hole.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

"The Clown"
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

• "If I did not trust you, I would be here," Richardson said the June 2017 meeting in which Sood testified Richardson took $5,000. "And you know, everything we talk about stays here. So we, we're very, very private about this stuff.'
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Oh good, Schlabach is back claiming victory over Dawkins saying that Miller "fronted" the deal....Long way from a guy pretending to have an "in" with Ayton to Miller paying out of pocket....
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

"Book Richardson in a meeting capture at a restaurant in Tucson in August 2017, says of Deandre Ayton's mother: "Because mom is loyal to someone else." This conversation brings up a $50,000 figure, and Sood testified they were seeking an introduction to Ayton to gauge his interest."

This supports the assertion that no other school was recruiting Ayton, because it was practically a done deal that he was going to Kansas. Then, out of the blue, he commits to Arizona.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Gilbertcat wrote:Oh good, Schlabach is back claiming victory over Dawkins saying that Miller "fronted" the deal....Long way from a guy pretending to have an "in" with Ayton to Miller paying out of pocket....
Where is Schlafuck saying this?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:
Gilbertcat wrote:Oh good, Schlabach is back claiming victory over Dawkins saying that Miller "fronted" the deal....Long way from a guy pretending to have an "in" with Ayton to Miller paying out of pocket....
Article on ESPN front page.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

enfuego wrote:"Book Richardson in a meeting capture at a restaurant in Tucson in August 2017, says of Deandre Ayton's mother: "Because mom is loyal to someone else." This conversation brings up a $50,000 figure, and Sood testified they were seeking an introduction to Ayton to gauge his interest."
no doubt a lot of shady shit going on in and around college basketball - top to bottom
enfuego wrote:This supports the assertion that no other school was recruiting Ayton, because it was practically a done deal that he was going to Kansas. Then, out of the blue, he commits to Arizona.
this part ↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑↑ supporting the other is not one of them
Last edited by 97cats on Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Article on ESPN front page.
You guys still give that bullshit outlet clicks?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:"Book Richardson in a meeting capture at a restaurant in Tucson in August 2017, says of Deandre Ayton's mother: "Because mom is loyal to someone else." This conversation brings up a $50,000 figure, and Sood testified they were seeking an introduction to Ayton to gauge his interest."

This supports the assertion that no other school was recruiting Ayton, because it was practically a done deal that he was going to Kansas. Then, out of the blue, he commits to Arizona.
Did Self’s check bounce?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

He's been committed to Arizona for almost a year by August, 2017.

You also have to be insanely delusional to think Arizona got him via $ and Kansas was his front runner for free. Remember flipping Josh Jackson? Was that one a freebie too?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

You also have to be insanely delusional to think Arizona got him via $ and Kansas was his front runner for free. Remember flipping Josh Jackson? Was that one a freebie too?
Yes, that one was a freebie too.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I've never understood this. Are you saying the wiretapped conversation is wrong? You would think Richardson knows the timeline.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

97cats wrote:"The Clown"
I believe at the PHX Open you referred to him as "THE FUCKING CLOWN!!!!"

It was later in the afternoon and was an open bar
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

I've never understood this. Are you saying the wiretapped conversation is wrong? You would think Richardson knows the timeline.
You say Ayton inexplicably flipped to Arizona, and connected it with the money discussed at that meeting. What's your point about Ayton supposedly flipping with money discussed a year later?

It seems pretty obvious that Dawkins and Sood offered Book 50k to be introduced to Ayton. So I'm not sure why you're worried about the commitment.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... ayton-deal" target="_blank

At one point during the recording, Richardson told Sood and the undercover FBI agents that Dawkins told him, "I wish I was a pimp and you were a prostitute. You'd make millions for me." Richardson said Dawkins also ridiculed him for using his own money to pay recruits.

"You make a quarter of a million dollars a year and you're broke," Dawkins told Richardson.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Why was Sean making $4M and Book only making $250K

Talk about a misalignment of interests and CEO making far too much more then his direct employees

I am not sure anymore how to view all of this. None of it is surprising but not sure how it all ends

Man Book was dirty
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS