Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

NYCat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by NYCat »

Why leave out the beginning of the transcript R&F?

The transcript
In the June 20, 2017 recording, Richardson and Dawkins discuss Ayton. The prized recruit had already arrived in Tucson after verbally committing to the Wildcats in September 2016.

Book: "Ayton is on campus. Sean’s got to get the f--- out of the way and let us work”
Dawkins: “We’ll see how Sean plays it out,”
Book: “You know what he bought per month?”
Dawkins: “What (did) he do?”
Book: “I told you, 10,”
Dawkins: “He’s putting up some real money for them n-----s. He told me he’s getting killed.”
Book: “But that’s his fault,”
The rest
On another phone call, Dawkins said Miller was "taking care of Rawle (Alkins) and them," referring to the former UA wing.

Richardson told Dawkins that Miller "thinks he's got Bol Bol," referring to a recruit who considered Arizona before committing to Oregon. Richardson said on the wiretap that a "dude in New York" said it was going to take "200 bands" to get Bol. (Bands is slang for $1,000.)

Richardson did not say on the audio whether "10" meant $10,000 with regards to Ayton. ESPN reported in February 2018 that Miller and Dawkins were on a wiretap discussing a $100,000 payment to Ayton.

----

Dawkins said that he often pocketed money earmarked for the assistants. The jury was shown bank deposit records showing that he deposited money into an account for LOYD, Inc.

"Everything that was deposited was given to me by the government," Dawkins testified.

Dawkins further testified that paying coaches was not smart, and that he "never paid a coach with the intent of bribing or having them do anything for me."

He explained why he thought it was bad business to do so.

"One, from an economic perspective, it didn't make sense," he testified. "Two, they don't have enough influence to justify it."

"There's no need to pay a college coach because these players are coming into college with agents,"
Dawkins continued. "This idea that it's an amateur world is not real."

----

Miller's name has come up on audio recordings played throughout the trial, now in its second week. On Monday, jurors heard Dawkins say that Miller "fronted" a deal for a player later identified as Ayton.

Last week, jurors viewed a video — recorded June 6, 2017, two weeks before the recorded conversation between Richardson and Dawkins — in which the aspiring agent bragged about his access to the Wildcats' coach.

“Sean Miller likes to know everything that’s going on,” Dawkins said on the recording. “I can call Sean and have a conversation like, ‘this is what’s going on.’ He’ll talk on the phone about things he shouldn’t talk on the phone about.”

Dawkins told the others that Miller said he was "taking care of everything myself” with regards to Ayton, but that he wanted to “turn everything over” to the aspiring agent.

----

Richardson and Dawkins discussed what it would take to get Ayton to join the company. Richardson told Dawkins that Ayton's mother wanted her son to choose a different agent.

Dawkins was more confident that he could land Alkins. In the audio played Wednesday, Dawkins told Richardson that Miller was "taking care of Rawle and them."

"Rawle already knows he’s gotta pay back if he doesn’t go with them. So we got no expenses there,"
Dawkins said. "We’ll get a n---- this year anyway. And then you use the money that you’re getting from them to help you recruit, do whatever."

Dawkins testified Wednesday that he was going to work with Alkins whether Richardson helped or not, and that he argued against paying Richardson or any other assistant coaches. Dawkins said his LOYD, Inc. partner — an undercover agent working for the FBI — was the one who pushed the idea.

"It makes sense now why he was trying to pay coaches," Dawkins testified. "He was trying to set us up."

https://outline.com/5ZrmW3" target="_blank
Last edited by NYCat on Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

If Arizona fires anyone, Miller won't be the only one. The ad would need a fresh start
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:What i am saying is a coach can be terminated without legal recourse for the AD just wanting to go in a new direction. No case for termination needs to be made.

There is a buyout, however
Yep and one that Arizona literally can not afford.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

The only thing I’d consider firing Miller for is keeping Book in the program too long. But that decision would have been made 13.5 months ago.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Longhorned wrote:The only thing I’d consider firing Miller for is keeping Book in the program too long. But that decision would have been made 13.5 months ago.
I don't think a day goes by that Miller doesn't think of this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Shit we all thought this when we found out he sold us out to to PGU for 2pounds of silver.

Fuck book.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Miller's got to quit being so damn loyal.
Mike Luke's burner account.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Are there any rumors about the Pitino family contacting realtors in Tucson?
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

pc in NM wrote:Are there any rumors about the Pitino family contacting realtors in Tucson?
THAT SOUNDS FABULOUS BABY!!!
- Vitale
Mike Luke's burner account.
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Devils advocate...if true, is the $10K from Nike? Sounds like Miller didn't want Book handling any of this. Pasternack though?

Also very confusing statement: “You know what he bought per month,” Richardson said
Look, KU was throwing money at Ayton. I don't think he came here for free.
KU wasn't throwing money at Ayton. But apparently Miller was.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

enfuego wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Jefe wrote:Devils advocate...if true, is the $10K from Nike? Sounds like Miller didn't want Book handling any of this. Pasternack though?

Also very confusing statement: “You know what he bought per month,” Richardson said
Look, KU was throwing money at Ayton. I don't think he came here for free.
KU wasn't throwing money at Ayton. But apparently Miller was.
:lol:

Oh man enfuego, you slay me.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

84Cat wrote:
The proverbial head in the sand tweet.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
cpt

Post by cpt »

If Nico Mannion doesn't commit come to Arizona this Fall - and draw the rest of the class with him - Sean Miller is out of a job right now.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The university finally "comments."
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

cpt wrote:If Nico Mannion doesn't commit come to Arizona this Fall - and draw the rest of the class with him - Sean Miller is out of a job right now.
A lot easier to move on without the recruiting class attached, he probably doesn't have the boosters behind him without the class.

We'll see if it's all worth it at the end (my guess is no) of this season - if they don't give in to PR pressure in the coming days/weeks.
Last edited by NYCat on Wed May 01, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

This statement doesn't't make me feel good tbh. Wish they would've backed Miller.
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Such a flaccid statement

And they only made a statement when asked to comment.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:The university finally "comments."
Well, that's underwhelming.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

NYCat wrote:
cpt wrote:If Nico Mannion doesn't commit come to Arizona this Fall - and draw the rest of the class with him - Sean Miller is out of a job right now.
A lot easier to move on without the recruiting class attached, he probably doesn't have the boosters behind him without the class.

We'll see if it's all worth it at the end (my guess is no) of this season - if they don't give in to PR pressure in the coming days/weeks.
I think you'd probably agree that history says 'Don't take the short term view', but people always do.

Time will tell if this is all worth it.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I find myself literally shaking my head.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

RiseAndFire wrote:
From USATODAY
Dawkins:"We'll see how Sean plays it out."
Richardson: "You know what he bought per month?"
Dawkins: "What he do?"
Richardson:"I told you -- 10 (thousand)."
Dawkins: "He's putting up some real money for them (expletives). He told me he's getting killed."
Richardson: "But that's his fault."
Hmmmm sure sounds like both of them commenting as if fact that Miller was personally "fronting" the money if "he bought 10 thousand" and "he's getting killed" and thats "his fault". I mean I get it, Here's Miller, after embarrassing us again in the NCAA first round with Wichita State, so desperate to get the best player in the country so he takes on the financial burden himself in hopes that THIS one will be the one to make his crappy WWII-era offense work. Makes perfect sense.

I would say there is enough ammo by now for UA to finally abandon ship and terminate Miller for cause :idea:
A bit of a harsh assessment but I can't really refute what you're saying. Especially the last sentence. I think it's just time to move on from this mess. Enough is enough already it would seem. But on the other hand it doesn't matter what is known at this point, it matters what can be proven. Statements made by known and convicted felons in desperation mode are hardly credible nor acceptable forms of testimony.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Who has the biggest wet dream at the thought of Miller going down:

Schlabach, Columbo, or enfuego?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

UAEebs86 wrote:Who has the biggest wet dream at the thought of Miller going down:

Schlabach, Columbo, or enfuego?
ASSu fans.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

This is a perfect media take. If you don't work in media let me tell you about your bright future.

You've taken us on a ride from "the FBI and NCAA and Arizona and Miller all say no wrongdoing" to "no one shows up and everything is terrible." What a journey.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Not a whisper of this from Heeke on Wildcat Wednesday tonight. It's like the whole university has gone turtle.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

pc in NM wrote:Are there any rumors about the Pitino family contacting realtors in Tucson?
God I hope so.

He should be call number one two and three.

This trial roasted miller and exonerated Pitino.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Miller should’ve paid for a point guard. Or maybe PJC had some information on miller.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

The convo is about trying to get Ayton to sign with Dawkins, right? There is a pretty obvious reason why Book would want Dawkins to think Ayton was getting paid a lot already.

That being so Dawkins knows it is gonna take a lot of money to get him to sign with his agency.
Last edited by SunnyAZ on Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tucsonsean

Post by tucsonsean »

We all are caught up in Millers own innocence or not. Seems to me that the NCAA hammer is coming regardless. LOIC and for the whole world to see. UA coming out the trophy program if this shit show. Tough to see the NCAA not making an extreme example even if Miller is found to be 100% squeaky clean - something that I’m not certain I am comfortable with (not that any college coach is, but the key in this game seems to be avoid the spotlight shining).

Talk me off this cliff, my dudes.
Last edited by tucsonsean on Wed May 01, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jwsisliving

Post by Jwsisliving »

Too many chicken littles in this thread.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

This
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

tucsonsean wrote:We all are caught up in Millers own innocence or not. Seems to me that the NCAA hammer is coming regardless. LOIC and for the whole world to see. UA coming out the trophy program if this shit show. Tough to see the NCAA not making an extreme example even if Miller is found to be 100% squeaky clean - something that I’m not certain I am comfortable with (not that any college coach is, but the key in this game seems to be avoid the spotlight shining).

Talk me off this cliff, my dudes.
We are talking about the NCAA, the least sensible, most capricious organization possibly ever. So in reality, every school’s fan is on that same cliff. Our program once had a telescope shoved up its ass and Lute’s name was dragged through the mud because some recruits got free pizza. That’s just the way they operate; random, vindictive, and stupid. So yes, we could be in trouble here. But......

Everyone from Rawle and Ayton to Quinnerly and others that have been mentioned were all deemed clean enough at the time of their enrollment to be cleared to play by that same stupid venal organization. For them to come back now, based merely on the recorded bragging and positioning of a couple of con artists would make the NCAA look totally incompetent. There is a whole lot more incentive to say that their initial investigations of Miller and our players were thorough and correct and that just because two idiots are pretending these kids got paid to line their own pockets with cash doesn’t mean money or anything else changed hands.

Now, if some kind of proof were to come out, such as a paper trail of tens of thousands of dollars in cash leaving CSM’s accounts and ending up in Ayton’s mom’s hands, then they’ll have no choice. And with that much money, there would most certainly be documentation showing how it was handled. Think about what you’d need to do to pay someone $10k a month under the table and without the government being able to trace back that money. CSM isn’t a drug dealer with duffel bags of cash lying around. He’s a high profile state employee.

So, with no paper trail established and these players already deemed eligible even with the FBI openly investigating their recruitments, does the NCAA really want people to think that fraud on a grand scale is happening right under their noses and they were just too stupid and greedy themselves to see it? Or would they rather the public think there was a rogue assistant, who has already been found guilty of taking bribes, trying to play up the perception that all these kids are getting paid gobs of money just to make some money for himself from unscrupulous shady agents who are now also convicted criminals?

I think they’ll go with the latter, and a slap on the wrist for CSM and the program and an admonishment that they can’t allow dumb drunk greedy assholes like Book to ever be around student athletes again.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

‘The Clown’
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The clown that took a program down?

It’s catchy, I admit.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

What Chi said. If the NCAA were to reverse course, Arizona would sue them. I don’t know how much people here realize just how lawyered down and ready the University is over this.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:‘The Clown’
We're screwed aren't we?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

goslingswagg wrote:
We're screwed aren't we?
Maybe in the court of public opinion, but people have very short attention spans.

Best thing for us is for more dirt to come out about other schools. Then it becomes about the muddy cesspool that is major college athletics instead of Sean Miller being some criminal mastermind.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Guys none of what is being played in court was EVER said under oath. Do you think for one minute Sean could pay 10G's a month without a paper trail? This is a couple of wanna be's saying how big their Di** is. Until I hear a wire tap with Sean's voice on it or hear someone under oath say they saw Sean or provided Sean money to give to a player I don't believe it. Sean would never pay to have a player sign with Dawkins. Why does he care. If he paid the money himself to players to come to Az.he will be the only one accused of doing this. Adidas paid the others....thru assistants. It is clearer to me by the day that it didn't happen.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote:
goslingswagg wrote:
We're screwed aren't we?
Maybe in the court of public opinion, but people have very short attention spans.

Best thing for us is for more dirt to come out about other schools. Then it becomes about the muddy cesspool that is major college athletics instead of Sean Miller being some criminal mastermind.
Literally the people this means the most to is the sports media who have been tied into this story from day 1 i.e. the Yahoo guys who claimed the NCAA tournament would have to be put on hold or not allowed to occur and especially Mark Schlabach and the ESPN cronies who called for Miller's head from the second Schlabach released his story. We'll get called cheaters forever by rival fans with Miller as our coach, but in the grand scheme it does not matter one iota. The media has to prove their worth here and prove they didn't waste everybody's time and the blood they need to spill for that to occur is Sean Miller's.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Thu May 02, 2019 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

TheCat wrote:Guys none of what is being played in court was EVER said under oath. Do you think for one minute Sean could pay 10G's a month without a paper trail? This is a couple of wanna be's saying how big their Di** is. Until I hear a wire tap with Sean's voice on it or hear someone under oath say they saw Sean or provided Sean money to give to a player I don't believe it. Sean would never pay to have a player sign with Dawkins. Why does he care. If he paid the money himself to players to come to Az.he will be the only one accused of doing this. Adidas paid the others....thru assistants. It is clearer to me by the day that it didn't happen.
The only stuff under oath is what Dawkins and others are saying on the stand now. And none of it incriminates Sean Miller.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Regents meeting on Friday to discuss Miller situation sounds like
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: The media has to prove their worth here and prove they didn't waste everybody's time and the blood they need to spill for that to occur is Sean Miller's.
LH will have a better perspective here, but why would UofA do the media the favor of firing a successful, popular coach who's been thoroughly investigated and not found to be breaking rules? Makes zero sense.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

goslingswagg wrote:
We're screwed aren't we?
don’t know, im really no more sure than anyone else...just sharing Books nickname inside the program for as long as I can remember.

i have no issue with anything said or done so far from Coach Miller, except keeping ‘The Clown’ on board after numerous pleads to get rid of him for almost the better part of the last sevun years.

i will never truly know why, im not sure anyone does, but it’s proving to be Sean Millers biggest error to date.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote: The media has to prove their worth here and prove they didn't waste everybody's time and the blood they need to spill for that to occur is Sean Miller's.
LH will have a better perspective here, but why would UofA do the media the favor of firing a successful, popular coach who's been thoroughly investigated and not found to be breaking rules? Makes zero sense.
Because they're weak.