Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Newportcat

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Newportcat »

Beachcat97 wrote:The media's tactless, incompetent (maybe slanderous?) reporting on Miller/AZ is unlike anything I've seen in recent sports journalism.

Do Heeke and Robbins just have their heads buried in the sand? Or maybe their legal counsel has advised them to stay quiet and let things cool off?
My guess is we will hear from them now that the trial is over. Tough for them to comment with that going on is probably what legal counsel has said. They have great attorneys advising them

But again privately Robbins has told alums that he believes Miller, believe he is innocent, and are backing him 100% as they have no evidence to suggest otherwise

They also don’t have the buyout money either as zero chance cole and Jeannie Davis are writing that check and not sure Jeff Stevens would either after helping with rich rods. Outside of them, not really any other major donors out there. Eller and Diamond both just passed away and they had written checks before. Jim click isn’t writing a big check and Arte is still MIA which is sad. U of A sure fucked that up
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
cats101

Post by cats101 »

Damn, it's May and Arizona basketball is on the front page of a report that we already knew. I'm actually anticipating the new season, assuming Sean is coach.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What happened that Click and Moreno aren’t boosting anymore?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote:What happened that Click and Moreno aren’t boosting anymore?
Click = Football
Moreno = Did he ever "boost" really?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The tweet doesn't match what the transcript actually says, but media gonna media.
Zagoria did end up taking his dumbfuck slanderous tweet down. Here is what he originally said...
Christian Dawkins just testified here in NYC that Sean Miller paid players at Arizona and that he had a 'good relationship' with Miller. Here's the exchange with defense attorney Marc Moore.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Chicat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The tweet doesn't match what the transcript actually says, but media gonna media.
Zagoria did end up taking his dumbfuck slanderous tweet down. Here is what he originally said...
Christian Dawkins just testified here in NYC that Sean Miller paid players at Arizona and that he had a 'good relationship' with Miller. Here's the exchange with defense attorney Marc Moore.
Zagoria is a coward. He blocked me on Twitter last week after I called out some of his inaccurate reporting.

I posted the LA Times article regarding the Daily Star's 1985 reporting on Lute that was inaccurate. The Daily Star seems to be ALL IN on firing Miller at this point. It's amazing they haven't lost more subscribers over this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

zonagrad wrote:
Chicat wrote:
Zagoria is a coward. He blocked me on Twitter last week after I called out some of his inaccurate reporting.

I posted the LA Times article regarding the Daily Star's 1985 reporting on Lute that was inaccurate. The Daily Star seems to be ALL IN on firing Miller at this point. It's amazing they haven't lost more subscribers over this.
I don’t think they see local sports as a profit driver. Which is beyond stupid. You can get the national perspective on pro sports anywhere, but local voices talking up local entertainment options are a win for everyone, including jaded sports journos still pissed off at getting picked last in dodgeball.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
Chicat wrote:

It is because people still talk about them all the time. That is why Ryan Finley didnt fire Hansen for lying. He got people talking and reading. And that is what is rich about them talking about morals now.

Stop following them. Stop responding to them. Stop reading them and they go away
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Postmaster wrote:What happened that Click and Moreno aren’t boosting anymore?
Click = Football
Moreno = Did he ever "boost" really?
Click has been more of a football guy but I have not heard him writing the checks he used to do anyways. He was very close with Stoops

Arte was never a major booster but he is one who could easily be. He could not believe we hired an ASU grad to be our AD and thought Byrne was a snake oil salesman...boy was he right

In person Arte is a very nice guy and loves the U of A.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

[/quote]

It is because people still talk about them all the time. That is why Ryan Finley didnt fire Hansen for lying. He got people talking and reading. And that is what is rich about them talking about morals now.

Stop following them. Stop responding to them. Stop reading them and they go away[/quote]

That prick Hansen talks about Ethics? If you look up the Code of Conduct for the paper it clearly says Fabrication is a cardinal sin. Is this not exactly what he did when he went on radio and said he had talked to Book and then corrected it. That was a lie and you know that seeing a tweet by Vitale makes him all warm inside. He is an ass.
Last edited by TheCat on Sun May 05, 2019 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I just want to say how proud I am of the coaching staff out there recruiting their ass off. Can you see the players they are reaching out to? Miller will out work any other coach and this has just fueled the fire. Keeping signing top classes and we will break through.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

There will come a day(and by the numbers it is not very far off) when Miller breaks through the FF hymen...it might even be the day when he takes home a national title...on THAT day there will be a reckoning...

People like Zagoria and Hansen, Pascoe and Schlabach will STILL try to hawk their wares on the sidewalk during the parade...they will shout "unethical/he wins by cheating" with absolutely no proof and no support...and on that day the crowd will turn on them because that is exactly what crowds do...they follow the flow of noise and never look up to see the source and they will turn that day because the noise of celebration will drown out their cheap fake gun-shot noise...

We all secretly hope for such a day, thats why we are fans...we WANT to see the UA win another natty else we would not be here...

Just reminding you that the numbers are in our favor...the raw data supports Miller probably better than any other college coach out there...

He out-works and out hustles coaches who have been to the FF numerous times...in spite of all the negative crowd noise out there he has convinced recruits to come here and done that against ALL ODDS...

If you think his day is not coming you're not paying attention to the data...

Fcuk Hansen, Fuck Vitale, Fuck Bilas, Fuck-FUCK-fuck Mark Schlabadongsucker, fuck Pascoe, fuck Phoenix sports dicks, fuck the Star, fuck them all...

We will win. And when we do ALL this shit gets rubbed in their faces...

It is ultimately a game of numbers...and the numbers are in our favor.

Just Imagine that day...make a poster of it and keep it in your view...it is coming.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Click is an enormous supporter of our local bird refuge, which is awesome.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

CatFanOneMil wrote:There will come a day(and by the numbers it is not very far off) when Miller breaks through the FF hymen...it might even be the day when he takes home a national title...on THAT day there will be a reckoning...

People like Zagoria and Hansen, Pascoe and Schlabach will STILL try to hawk their wares on the sidewalk during the parade...they will shout "unethical/he wins by cheating" with absolutely no proof and no support...and on that day the crowd will turn on them because that is exactly what crowds do...they follow the flow of noise and never look up to see the source and they will turn that day because the noise of celebration will drown out their cheap fake gun-shot noise...

We all secretly hope for such a day, thats why we are fans...we WANT to see the UA win another natty else we would not be here...

Just reminding you that the numbers are in our favor...the raw data supports Miller probably better than any other college coach out there...

He out-works and out hustles coaches who have been to the FF numerous times...in spite of all the negative crowd noise out there he has convinced recruits to come here and done that against ALL ODDS...

Fcuk Hansen, Fuck Vitale, Fuck Bilas, Fuck-FUCK-fuck Mark Schlabadongsucker, fuck Pascoe, fuck Phoenix sports dicks, fuck the Star, fuck them all...

Just Imagine that day...make a poster of it and keep it in your view...it is coming.
This should be our board mantra. Love it, now let's live it!!
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Catintheheat

Post by Catintheheat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:There will come a day(and by the numbers it is not very far off) when Miller breaks through the FF hymen...it might even be the day when he takes home a national title...on THAT day there will be a reckoning...

This sounds more like a gambler than using statistics. If you flip a coin 10 times and the coin comes up heads. There is still only a 50% change the coin will come up tails during the next flip. I'd say the chance CSM makes a final four with a good team are about the same as the chances of any good team he has put on the court using game theory.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

It would be fantastic if all of that came to fruition but it's highly unlikely IMHO. I think the dark cloud of suspicion over Miller's head won't subside; the damage has been done and is irreparable. It's unfortunate that bad journalism is such a big culprit in all of this. The biggest one as far as I'm concerned. I'll just be glad when we finally know what exactly is going to happen. This whole circus has been absolutely exhausting. The NCAA will only make it worse. That I can assure you.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

It is fucking exhausting
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

Nothing is going to happen. UA can't afford his buyout.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

In fact, “what crowds do” is to go with the flow.... They’ll all be celebrating his glory if he makes it, and “redemption” would likely be a dominant meme

In fact, even if Miller’s skills, work ethic, recruiting, et al exceeds all other coaches, a Final Four is still a long shot - there’s no inevitability in this game, and the tourney has as much randomness associated with outcomes as anything else

I hope like hell he, and we, make it there, but if and when we do, I won’t be partaking of any sour grapes - it would/will be to wonderful an occasion to waste any energy on that....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

enfuego wrote:Nothing is going to happen. UA can't afford his buyout.
You're right that nothing's going to happen but wrong about the reason.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

We can find the money for a buyout.

We can’t afford the resulting loss in revenue for the one sport that’s funding all the rest.

And KU is in the exact same situation.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Catintheheat wrote:

This sounds more like a gambler than using statistics. If you flip a coin 10 times and the coin comes up heads. There is still only a 50% change the coin will come up tails during the next flip. I'd say the chance CSM makes a final four with a good team are about the same as the chances of any good team he has put on the court using game theory.

Maybe but if you apply this logic 100% to the sport Golden State would not have as many championships as they do...yes there is a high level of chance, yes luck is involved...BUT...its like the old adage "Fortune favors the prepared"...Miller is capable of getting into the phase area where shift happens quickly...

Its a lot more science than it appears...almost all luck/change is a phase issue...if you get a body of water close to its freezing point but it is still a liquid you are in that phase shift region where some molecules are starting to crystallize and very little things matter greatly...

Miller is one of the hardest working coaches in College BB he's pushing that body of water into the phase shift region ALL the time...its really just a matter of time as far as I am concerned...

Look how he shifted the team coming up...we've ALL been disappointed because his last few teams showed the greatest weakness in the point guard position...we thought it was missed on him, but what does he do? He goes out and recruits arguably the BEST PG in next years incoming class,thus pushing more water into the crystalline stage...

We all want the win to be solid...and he is controlling the things that are within his control and doing it on a high level...that body of water will freeze up at some point and we will skate into a Natty in the desert heat.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Chicat wrote:
We can find the money for a buyout.

We can’t afford the resulting loss in revenue for the one sport that’s funding all the rest.

And KU is in the exact same situation.
Who is writing that check for the buyout?
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

I am just about sooooo over college basketball.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This is the same thing that killed my NBA fandom in the 90s and NFL in the 2000s, the media driving “stories” and the cult of personalities within the sport
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

CalStateTempe wrote:This is the same thing that killed my NBA fandom in the 90s and NFL in the 2000s, the media driving “stories” and the cult of personalities within the sport
If it was this bad I understand...I really don't get the "Fire Miller" bandwagon...what fucking interest do these guys have in parading this shit out every chance they get?

Not just ESPN hacks, but the local guys, ESPECIALLY the local guys...is it some kind of sour grapes because Miller does not play to their ego's or what?

Are they all jealous of Miller only really doing controlled media questions and the postgame interview with Brian Jeffries?

Are they ALL BJ jealous?

I would not piss on Greg Hansen if he was on fire, that guy has no integrity.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:This is the same thing that killed my NBA fandom in the 90s and NFL in the 2000s, the media driving “stories” and the cult of personalities within the sport
If it was this bad I understand...I really don't get the "Fire Miller" bandwagon...what fucking interest do these guys have in parading this shit out every chance they get?

Not just ESPN hacks, but the local guys, ESPECIALLY the local guys...is it some kind of sour grapes because Miller does not play to their ego's or what?

Are they all jealous of Miller only really doing controlled media questions and the postgame interview with Brian Jeffries?

Are they ALL BJ jealous?

They want a big story. Miller in trouble is about as big a story as can happen in Tucson.

If you don't have Watergate, try to make this into Watergate.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:

Are they ALL BJ jealous?

For Yahoo's guys they claimed that the NCAA would be on fire due to this case and well obviously that's not happening, but they hyped it up to such a large degree that they still need it to be a big story. The head coach of Arizona paying players is a huge story. They will push that agenda at all costs and are begging for Arizona to fire Miller to satiate that bloodthirst.

ESPN's agenda is obvious. You've already got the Schlabach article and the details quite frankly don't matter. As long as Miller is fired then ESPN can claim they were right. Push any agenda you can here.

The local media has always had a who watches the watchmen type vibe to their operation. I mean they even went to Lute and he was typically courteous to them until they started going at him. Miller to his credit has tried to bury the hatchet with the Star, he had long conversations with Finley to try to keep the reporting more even keeled. Shortly after that the Ira Lee DUI happened and the Star linked that incident to the FBI stuff as if any of that was tied together. Needless to say that infuriated Miller and he has washed his hands completely of the Star.

Ultimately the biggest villain is Dave Heeke. He has been angling to fire Miller for some time and literally only responded to all this mess one time and that's when he was the one looking bad. Now Heeke has literally been stripped of all power, but the problem is no one else at the university is really capable of addressing these issues with the media, not because of maliciousness like Heeke, but rather due to ineptitude. So we're literally in a vicious circle where people don't know how to handle this properly. You can say what you want about the Greg Byrne era, but he would've never let the media, local or national, get away with this shit.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I don't follow the UA power politics AT ALL...so the Little davey Heeke thing is sorta news...I know he's about as competent as crusty the clown...the "Fire Phelps" thing was an example of someone wanting to swing his dick around...reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REhyYbmfmE0" target="_blank
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

What an absolute shit show on so many levels
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:I am just about sooooo over college basketball.
Game to me is a shell of it’s former self in many ways and tough to see it ever coming back outside of March Madness

If it wasn’t for this board, it would be scary how quickly I would be over college basketball in general
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CalStateTempe wrote:I am just about sooooo over college basketball.
Maybe it's a good time to pose this question, then: what is it that sustains your interest/enthusiasm in AZ hoops?

Aside from just rooting for your alma mater's premier athletics program, is there something more? A love of the sport? Nostalgia for Lute Olson?

I'll admit, my enthusiasm has waned. This past season, I watched fewer games than ever. With all due respect to our guys, the Justin Coleman Era just didn't do it for me. And even going back to the previous season, with Ayton dunking and Trier slashing, it still felt off. Those TJ/Nick Johnson teams have so far been the highpoint of the Miller era, and I've been waiting to see if we can get back there.

As a native of Detroit, which is among the worst sports cities in America during my lifetime, UofA has been my only team to consistently feel good about. And while I've repeatedly been patient with our football program, they just disappoint again and again and again. Only hoops has given us a reason to be excited from year to year.

So contrary to CST, I am far from being "over college basketball." I want to see Miller get a FF and see his haters forced to sing his praises. If the Miller Era is indeed nearing its end, I just hope it happens on our schedule, not the fucking media's. If this season comes to pass without a FF and with unmet expectations, maybe both parties (Miller and the school) decide to part ways amicably. I'd be good with that. The program can recover, and Miller will find another job. But I do hope that his first FF happens at AZ. It would be a really tough pill to see him climb that ladder and cut down the nets as coach of a different school, especially if we're closing in on a quarter century without a FF.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

I love the game too much. Yeah, I was more likely to watch on DVR and not cancel events this last year than in past years.

But I love the game, and genuinely love the way the entire PAC takes shots at us as the big guys. Vegas for the tournament those last few MGM years revitalized my "fandom" portion, but I really love the game. It is perfectly designed, and at 2 hours per contest, it is easy to stay engaged.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

All the off court drama sucks a lot of enjoyment from it. That said, when I go to an Arizona game, I enjoy it as much as ever. I've never cared if the players are paid. I like to watch Arizona basketball, and when it gets down to that, I enjoy it as much as ever.

It's having to deal with the media stuff, the investigation and all that BS that detracts from the experience. I can't wait for that side to be over, because then I can just care about the game.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

There's also the coming change to the age rule, whose impact on the college game we can only speculate about. Will it dramatically weaken the collective talent level of future freshman classes? Will a guy like Zion ever play college ball again?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

If I was running TV or radio in Tucson, I'd be hammering advertising clients about spending their dollars on the Daily Star. Not only is the newspaper model failing -- you have the only paper in town actively lobbying to destroy the iconic basketball program. It's bad business. Media need to pursue truth and do a great job, wherever that truth may lead. And that's ok. But the effort made by the Star is as frustrating as it is confusing. There's a reason Lute Olson went after Greg Hansen not once, but twice. There's a reason Olson had a good relationship with Steve Rivera at the Tucson Citizen but called Pascoe "Columbo."

I wonder if Jack Furrier is ready to pull advertising -- or least put some pressure on the Star. Or Jim Click. Or other big clients. The city itself should be putting pressure on the Star. The leadership has managed to bungle minor league baseball and Spring Training. And professional golf. It's not all on them. But good leadership makes sure you don't lose everything. 20 years ago, Tucson had three MLB teams in Spring Training, minor league baseball at a park in the worst location possible, the PGA Tour, the LPGA Tour. What does Tucson have now? I've been out of state for awhile now. But the community has really dropped the ball on some big time issues. And this issue with Arizona Basketball isn't one to fuck with. If there's wrong doing -- then it needs to be clear with absolutely an airtight case with hard evidence. Until then, you don't fuck with the Golden Goose. And you make sure anyone (like the Star) gets that message in bold, capital letters.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:There's also the coming change to the age rule, whose impact on the college game we can only speculate about. Will it dramatically weaken the collective talent level of future freshman classes? Will a guy like Zion ever play college ball again?
Yes and No.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

To answer BC97,

Micro: Glorified mid major basketball, bizarre miller timeouts and in game mgmt, sitting players who can bring a spark for perceived defense lapses, the pjc experiment, having the best player in the country and doing darn near diddly squat, do what we do arrogance, and just not so much fun to watch the past 2-3 seasons. Yeah when I watch I cheer my ass off like spiff said, and don’t really care about how the sausage is made.

Personal: time is more limited for me with career and young kids. I’d rather spend that time doing things that are worthwhile for me and my interests/family and increasingly spend less of that watching games.

Macro: I am big on authenticity and really dislike hypocrisy. I’d rather be friends with a genuine asshole than a passive aggressive “nice guy” who never has your back when the chips are down. I’ve known both in my life. I hate the way the media has thrown our program under the bus and I hate how much damage it has done to our brand when there are much worse programs out there who are getting a pass. Unc bb and academics case a b and c. In addition to the quality of play being subpar as Newport alludes to, seeing the media pick brands as winners and loser and throwing my alma mater to the wolves over allegations isnjust sickening.

Hence why it’s getting to the point where I can’t support the product of college bb as a whole.
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

LOL Zagoria:

https://twitter.com/account/suspended" target="_blank

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

The tweet below is giving me all kinds of confused emotions...
We didn’t do this, right? UA fans have been hammering him but I haven’t seen anyone calling for us to mass report him for abuse or anything like that...
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

I just came here to laugh at Zagoria with y'all
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Behind the scenes I know he was spamming a lot of people's DMs with threats of lawsuits for hurting his feelings.
KillerKlown

Post by KillerKlown »

Uhoh. Who's he gonna threaten to sue next?
Mike Luke's burner account.
splitsecond

Post by splitsecond »

Gilbertcat wrote:Behind the scenes I know he was spamming a lot of people's DMs with threats of lawsuits for hurting his feelings.
Did he really not realize that you can report DMs? What a buffoon.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Gilbertcat wrote:Behind the scenes I know he was spamming a lot of people's DMs with threats of lawsuits for hurting his feelings.
Is that a world tour or your girl's tour?
I know that you gotta be a thug for her
This ain't what she meant when she told you to open up more
Yeah, trigger fingers turn to Twitter fingers
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:All the off court drama sucks a lot of enjoyment from it. That said, when I go to an Arizona game, I enjoy it as much as ever. I've never cared if the players are paid. I like to watch Arizona basketball, and when it gets down to that, I enjoy it as much as ever.

It's having to deal with the media stuff, the investigation and all that BS that detracts from the experience. I can't wait for that side to be over, because then I can just care about the game.
Right or wrong that's exactly how all this, as a sideshow, comes across to me. The harmless, minding-my-own-business enjoyment of watching Arizona games is getting trampled on by outsiders who saw that we as fans were having fun without them and their childish reaction wanted us as miserable as them by forging a rules obsessed high road from which they can look down on us.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Beachcat97 wrote:There's also the coming change to the age rule, whose impact on the college game we can only speculate about. Will it dramatically weaken the collective talent level of future freshman classes? Will a guy like Zion ever play college ball again?
No but Trae young will, Nico will, Josh green, ja Morant, and lots of other great talents. Will we get any of them or will they all go to duke and Kentucky? Well it seems like all the hype is about the East coast guys, might still get the west coast talent since they suck at duke. I'm kind of looking forward to that, maybe there will be a little more stability in rosters. I can hope.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CatMG

Post by CatMG »

Like it was before the one and done rule, there won't be players like Zion play college ball again. And there will a lot of players who SHOULD play college ball that won't.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Is that a world tour or your girl's tour?
I know that you gotta be a thug for her
This ain't what she meant when she told you to open up more
Yeah, trigger fingers turn to Twitter fingers
Haha this was good