Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by CatFanOneMil »

YoDeFoe wrote:Book had $40k in cash and he paid that amount for a grade to get changed.

If you believe either of those pieces of fiction you’ve lost your damn mind.

Book was broke, withdrawing that much cash would have flagged authorities, the DOJ would have charged him with bank fraud, and Felicity Huffman paid a third of that for her kid to get into USC.

Don't use logic here for the enfuckwaygo's to see, they are incapable of following basic linear thought...just let them masterubate to schlabachs nonsense...when Kansas gets serious punitive action from the NCAA nd Miller gets nada they will have a complete meltdown...then we celebrate.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

enfuego wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
enfuego wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:
enfuego wrote:The mental gymnastics of the posts in this thread when Richardson is on tape admitting to paying recruits to rationalize otherwise is outstanding.
What was your head coach caught on tape saying? I forgot already. I mean besides admitting to his asschap fetish.
Absolutely nothing about paying players.
I’m not going to waste my time hunting it down. But as I recall it was the most directly incriminating thing I’d heard coming from a head coach. Ever. And of course, crickets from ESPN.
Translation: "I made this up."
Are you still living in your parent’s basement or did they let you out yet?

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... ing-works/
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

enfuego wrote:
Chicat wrote:
enfuego wrote:The mental gymnastics of the posts in this thread when Richardson is on tape admitting to paying recruits to rationalize otherwise is outstanding.
Well, he’s on tape talking about paying recruits’ coaches and families. Not the recruits themselves.

But where has anyone disputed that?

The real mental gymnastics involved you trying to come up with something to post, and still failing miserably.
Link?
https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 06280.html" target="_blank
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
tricat

Post by tricat »

Yahoo's headline for the Book story: "Former Arizona assistant coach said he paid $40K to high school coach to ensure player's academic eligibility"

The subheadline for Dana O'Neil's hit piece on The Athletic: "Former Arizona assistant coach Book Richardson paid a high school coach $40,000 to forge a transcript for Rawle Alkins, Yahoo reported."

Dropped the word "said" and treated the claim as fact, and then used that to hammer Sean, the school, and fans. That ain't journalism, folks, it's click-bait and mob mentality and I thought The Athletic was supposed to be above that kind of lazy writing. I also canceled my sub.
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

tricat wrote:Yahoo's headline for the Book story: "Former Arizona assistant coach said he paid $40K to high school coach to ensure player's academic eligibility"

The subheadline for Dana O'Neil's hit piece on The Athletic: "Former Arizona assistant coach Book Richardson paid a high school coach $40,000 to forge a transcript for Rawle Alkins, Yahoo reported."

Dropped the word "said" and treated the claim as fact, and then used that to hammer Sean, the school, and fans. That ain't journalism, folks, it's click-bait and mob mentality and I thought The Athletic was supposed to be above that kind of lazy writing. I also canceled my sub.
I paraphrased your post on Twitter. It’s a good one. I was so enraged the little details of her exact game were blurred. This is a great breakdown.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

I concur that Book was most likely trying to "hustle the hustlers" and was talking out of his nether-regions.

But Coach Miller kept Book around for a long, long time.

That loyalty was misplaced and I do not think it credible that Miller did not know (or have grounds to know) that Book was morally compromised.

Putting aside the indignation about the messengers (and I share that indignation as to ESPN), the transcript is a legitimate story in my view even if the headlines aren't completely accurate. Miller and ultimately the university are responsible for keeping Book around and in a position to do what he did (and perhaps brag about stuff he did not actually do in an effort to get even more money from sleazebags).

I don't like it, but I am not sure how anyone can credibly defend having Book on the staff or suggest with any certainty there will not be further consequences.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The real bad guy in this entire scenario is fucking Dave Heeke. Media are going to do what they do and that's try to get clicks and hell in today's environment that's their job now (sadly), so at the very least I can say the media is doing what they're paid to do. Dave Heeke on the other hand...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

atlantakat wrote: I don't like it, but I am not sure how anyone can credibly defend having Book on the staff or suggest with any certainty there will not be further consequences.
To my knowledge nobody here is doing any of the sorts.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

tricat wrote:Yahoo's headline for the Book story: "Former Arizona assistant coach said he paid $40K to high school coach to ensure player's academic eligibility"

I feel like what you're saying is that something like a "sports journalism" website is, in fact, journalism - until it isn't anymore. It's clear why sports journalism tends toward entertainment at the expense of journalism's standards of editorial oversight and documentation. It's really just sports media. Even the best of them are always ready to trip and fall into a ditch.

I think we need to accept our place in the fictional world that sports media has placed us in. Arizona is the anti-Duke. Duke is the fake darling of college basketball, and Arizona is the fake villain of college basketball. The origin of Duke's position is what they did in the court a long time ago. The origin of Arizona's position is what ESPN alleged Miller did off the court, which followed upon what Book actually did do off the court. It sounds like a delusion of grandeur, but it's actually true: Arizona is sport's media's college basketball villain, and sports writers aren't going to change their minds about that.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ChooChooCat wrote:
atlantakat wrote: I don't like it, but I am not sure how anyone can credibly defend having Book on the staff or suggest with any certainty there will not be further consequences.
Exactly. Atlantakat, I think your view is the mainstream one, even in this very discussion.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
I think the lesson here is much as it's been prior. Book said a lot of things on tape that are damaging and would be NCAA violations if true.

One of the looming questions is what the NCAA will do about those words if there is no corroborative proof. This 40k thing is another set of words that is bad, but none of the reports suggest corroborative proof.

So, is it the words that matter, or is it about evidence to back them?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think the lesson here is much as it's been prior. Book said a lot of things on tape that are damaging and would be NCAA violations if true.

One of the looming questions is what the NCAA will do about those words if there is no corroborative proof. This 40k thing is another set of words that is bad, but none of the reports suggest corroborative proof.

If the NCAA is going to take words as incontrovertible proof of violations, I’m going to tell the world that Coach K and Coach Cal are out here involved in human trafficking to procure underage prostitutes for prospects.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

ChooChooCat wrote:The real bad guy in this entire scenario is fucking Dave Heeke. Media are going to do what they do and that's try to get clicks and hell in today's environment that's their job now (sadly), so at the very least I can say the media is doing what they're paid to do. Dave Heeke on the other hand...
So Heeke is horrible at his job. Why does he still have a job? Seems like the athletic department overall just likes to waste money on people that can't do the job. Where is Robbins on this? Somebody needs to step up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

DrWildcat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:The real bad guy in this entire scenario is fucking Dave Heeke. Media are going to do what they do and that's try to get clicks and hell in today's environment that's their job now (sadly), so at the very least I can say the media is doing what they're paid to do. Dave Heeke on the other hand...
So Heeke is horrible at his job. Why does he still have a job? Seems like the athletic department overall just likes to waste money on people that can't do the job. Where is Robbins on this? Somebody needs to step up.
Give it time on Heeke, he's not long for the job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

As far as the Rawle 40K thing, it was already looked into by the NCAA, so they know it's bogus. How they handle the rest, we'll see. If cancel culture prevails then we're screwed, if actual law ethics prevail then we'll be ok.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Heeke has been a poor advocate, bad for morale within the department and among alumni, and shows poor results for the most visible products. Those aren't things that get AD's fired quickly. But even the best fundraisers fizzle under those circumstances.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Longhorned wrote:Heeke has been a poor advocate, bad for morale within the department and among alumni, and shows poor results for the most visible products. Those aren't things that get AD's fired quickly. But even the best fundraisers fizzle under those circumstances.
Contract buyouts cost less towards the end of the contract.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Longhorned wrote:Heeke has been a poor advocate, bad for morale within the department and among alumni, and shows poor results for the most visible products. Those aren't things that get AD's fired quickly. But even the best fundraisers fizzle under those circumstances.
How long is his contract for?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
To the end of the 2021-2022 season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

SCCats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Expires March 2022
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I am concerned with Robbins as he has been in Millers corner from the start. If he goes we could see a new president who is not so athletic friendly and maybe wants to not deal with this stuff
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

ByJoveByJingle wrote: Are you still living in your parent’s basement or did they let you out yet?

I don't see in that text exchange any conversation about paying a player.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

enfuego wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote: Are you still living in your parent’s basement or did they let you out yet?

I don't see in that text exchange any conversation about paying a player.
Oh, I see you participate in mental gymnastics as well pointing them out.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

It is clear to me that the NCAA will punish Arizona hard because a head coach is responsible for his assistants. This same punishment will be given to each head coach that had an assist nabbed during the FBI sting. LSU and KU have a lot to explain and especially when it comes to the testimony that was given during the Adidas trial. Paying a handler to get Andre to go to Kansas is in the record.
A saving grace to the Book bullsh#t is that it is clear if any of this occurred Miller wasn't paying a dime to get anyone.. I personally think Book was trying to be a big shot and increase the amount that it would take to keep getting recruits referred to the agencies these guys were running. I don't think there is anything new.....Book was never part of the Adidas pay to go to a school and if they had that evidence he would have been charged. He is guilty of referring players to agencies not bribing to get them to come to Ariz or be eligible which would be something the feds would charge them with.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Where is the proof book paid anyone? He was greedy and took money on his own but to date no player has lost a minute. The Nova recruit was cleared to play, Alkins was as well. Ayton cleared to play and Addidas and KU is on the hook for that.

Even Phelps stuff looks like BS From what I have seen. How will they throw the book at coaches for those guys pocketing money that never went to players?
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

The NCAA has nothing to hang on UofA except MAYBE a little bit of "lack of institutional control" and the fact that it took an FBI wiretap to even fucking find that says a LOT about how hard it is for ANY coach to know 100% whats going on beneath him.

Miller already has records of punitive action towards Book, and I can guarantee with all the Trier bullshit Miller has immaculate records on every damn aspect of the program and he tolerates NO mis-steps from his staff...between his record keeping the Pac 12 looking over his shoulder (he touched the ball) and multiple issues where the NCAA has been as stupid as enfuegos brain dead goldfish the chances of this program getting any heavy sanctions are thinner than sunscreens actual power in Tucson, you have a better chance of getting skin cancer than the UofA getting any heavy probation.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

What are the facts? An Arizona Assistant coach with a difficult financial problem is caught on tape saying a lot of incriminating stuff. Yet there is zero physical evidence that the stuff he claimed to be doing(paying players, etc...) ever happened. The evidence leans towards an employee in financial trouble willing to accept a bribe while not involving anyone else in the program. Richardson showed intent to cheat and enrich himself. But there’s zero proof anything involved any Arizona players or recruits. Those are the facts.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:What are the facts? An Arizona Assistant coach with a difficult financial problem is caught on tape saying a lot of incriminating stuff. Yet there is zero physical evidence that the stuff he claimed to be doing(paying players, etc...) ever happened. The evidence leans towards an employee in financial trouble willing to accept a bribe while not involving anyone else in the program. Richardson showed intent to cheat and enrich himself. But there’s zero proof anything involved any Arizona players or recruits. Those are the facts.
Book was lying to make himself more important in the eyes of the undercover FBI agents and Dawkins in order to get more money in the future. My extremely educated guess.

Does not even make sense, I dont think most high school basketball coaches have the ability to alter transcripts
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
MrBug708

Post by MrBug708 »

PHXCATS wrote:
zonagrad wrote:What are the facts? An Arizona Assistant coach with a difficult financial problem is caught on tape saying a lot of incriminating stuff. Yet there is zero physical evidence that the stuff he claimed to be doing(paying players, etc...) ever happened. The evidence leans towards an employee in financial trouble willing to accept a bribe while not involving anyone else in the program. Richardson showed intent to cheat and enrich himself. But there’s zero proof anything involved any Arizona players or recruits. Those are the facts.
Book was lying to make himself more important in the eyes of the undercover FBI agents and Dawkins in order to get more money in the future. My extremely educated guess.

Does not even make sense, I dont think most high school basketball coaches have the ability to alter transcripts
Private Schools have way more leeway to get crap like that done than public schools. My wife works at a private school and parent harassment to administration to continually get teachers "Why don't you relook over your gradebook and see if you missed something" goes on a lot. They can usually resist any sort of grade change, at least my wife and her department can. I can imagine that in the world of high stakes college basketball recruits, it's a lot more pressure filled. I'd imagine at powerhouse schools like Mater Dei, the kids probably don't need transcript alterations as the kids are probably in classes where the teachers know whats are at stake and it never gets that far.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MrBug708 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

Private Schools have way more leeway to get crap like that done than public schools. My wife works at a private school and parent harassment to administration to continually get teachers "Why don't you relook over your gradebook and see if you missed something" goes on a lot. They can usually resist any sort of grade change, at least my wife and her department can. I can imagine that in the world of high stakes college basketball recruits, it's a lot more pressure filled. I'd imagine at powerhouse schools like Mater Dei, the kids probably don't need transcript alterations as the kids are probably in classes where the teachers know whats are at stake and it never gets that far.
That's what surprises me about the Alkins story. How did his school ever get to the point he needed an alteration?

Ok, maybe they have integrity, but why have integrity if you'll throw it away over 40k? Either just pass the athletes along or have integrity. I don't understand why you'd attempt to have academic integrity, then sell it for a low bid.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
That's what surprises me about the Alkins story. How did his school ever get to the point he needed an alteration?

Ok, maybe they have integrity, but why have integrity if you'll throw it away over 40k? Either just pass the athletes along or have integrity. I don't understand why you'd attempt to have academic integrity, then sell it for a low bid.
The fact that there are players every year who enroll, THEN decide to go play over-seas or forego ANY college tells me that the academic side of these places are still somewhat intact...the market will not sustain holes in the boat, including loopholes.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

Was in Athens, GA this past weekend and got a tour of their football facility that's in the lower part of Sanford stadium, including the recruiting pavilion, locker room, etc. and then we also toured the golf facility that is basically a country club...like Augusta-lite...

The uproar over all of this "paying" basketball players is such a fucking joke considering where the real money lies, and what massive amounts of coin it takes for an entire athletic program to operate. I mean if the desire is to reform college athletics, then this is such minuscule potatoes.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Olsondogg wrote:Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here.

Was in Athens, GA this past weekend and got a tour of their football facility that's in the lower part of Sanford stadium, including the recruiting pavilion, locker room, etc. and then we also toured the golf facility that is basically a country club...like Augusta-lite...

The uproar over all of this "paying" basketball players is such a fucking joke considering where the real money lies, and what massive amounts of coin it takes for an entire athletic program to operate. I mean if the desire is to reform college athletics, then this is such minuscule potatoes.
One of the first steps will be to make clear how unacceptable it is to overlook the racial component of the hypocrisy. It's a problem when some media personalities feel comfortable being so silent about the "legitimacy" of where the money goes now, and yet so bold and angry and loud about the "illegitimacy" of money going to student athletes who are the source of windfall that benefits only others.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

But but but.... Tim Tebow said players are selfish!!!!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Chicat wrote:

But but but.... Tim Tebow said players are selfish!!!!
....the black, non-christians.....
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Olsondogg wrote:Was in Athens, GA this past weekend ... then we also toured the golf facility that is basically a country club...like Augusta-lite
:shock: Pics?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Wasn’t he supposed to be on the radio or interviewed by Scheer soon?
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

-JB
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

UAEebs86 wrote:
I'll take things that should have happened years ago for $600, Alex
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

UAEebs86 wrote:
My money is someone in legal stopped sending emails and picked up a goddam phone and called the senile old bitch.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
UAEebs86 wrote:
My money is someone in legal stopped sending emails and picked up a goddam phone and called the senile old bitch.
What is leagaleese for "Put a sock in it, you senescent cow!"
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Paging enfuego, enfuego to the principal's office please:

Kansas about to get slammed for NCAA violations...buckle up en-FU-ego..
Last edited by CatFanOneMil on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Oh man, somewhere enfuego and Vitale are curled up in a ball together. Of course since it doesn’t have to do with AZ Vitale will have nothing to say and won’t condemn the school or call for the president to fire ass chaps
Last edited by azcat49 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Paging enfuego, enfuego to the principal's office please:

Kansas about to get slammed for NCAA violations...buckle up en-Fu-ego..
:lol:
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

He's busy practicing his mental gymnastics.
-JB
A1RZONA

Post by A1RZONA »

choo, any info on us?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Enfuego's whole argument was that KU has nothing to be concerned about, and that Arizona fans were doing "mental gymnastics" to deny possible upcoming NCAA penalties (whereas in fact we never claimed we know the degree to which the NCAA will penalize Arizona for Book taking money for himself). Next, he'll fire back that we should worry about what the NCAA will do to us, as if we were the ones imagining we're in the clear.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

UAEebs86 wrote:He's busy practicing his mental gymnastics.
Much like after KU loses to Iowa State, expect enfuego to slink back over here five days from now acting like nothing happened.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

UAEebs86 wrote:He's busy practicing his mental gymnastics.

Open spot on the Kansas Mental Gymnastics team, they have a competition at DickieV U latter against the Schlahbach Schloong Soldiers