Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If the NCAA wasn't in Kansas City, I'd be borderline ready to put my Wildcat head/cape on and Q Shaman their HQ.

If ESPN wasn't in Connecticut, I'd be halfway to the car.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Help me understand this 40k transcript allegation. Is this supposed to involve Alkins? I seem to remember Arizona sitting him. Wasn’t there an investigation? Am I wrong in my belief that NCAA cleared Alkins and he returned to action?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 pm Help me understand this 40k transcript allegation. Is this supposed to involve Alkins? I seem to remember Arizona sitting him. Wasn’t there an investigation? Am I wrong in my belief that NCAA cleared Alkins and he returned to action?
On one tape, Book said he paid 40k to get Alkins eligible. Alkins never missed a game and there's nor corroboration I'm aware of.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:04 pm
Frybry02 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:50 pm Help me understand this 40k transcript allegation. Is this supposed to involve Alkins? I seem to remember Arizona sitting him. Wasn’t there an investigation? Am I wrong in my belief that NCAA cleared Alkins and he returned to action?
On one tape, Book said he paid 40k to get Alkins eligible. Alkins never missed a game and there's nor corroboration I'm aware of.
Gotcha thank you. I thought Arizona previously held Alkins out for some reason. Be curious to see where the burden of proof lies... Arizona proving it never happened or NCAA proving it did happen.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The full transcript of the NOA is now out.

The full NOA outlines the allegations more specifically. Book is accused of paying $40,000 to have a players transcripts altered (presumably Rawle). If true I can't see the UA getting off with just the one year of self sanctions.

https://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnew ... 28.pdf.pdf
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:08 pm
Gotcha thank you. I thought Arizona previously held Alkins out for some reason. Be curious to see where the burden of proof lies... Arizona proving it never happened or NCAA proving it did happen.
The two recruits in the first allegation have to be Rawle and Shareef O'Neal. I don't know how the NCAA squares it that neither of them missed games.

Rawle had the broken foot, but that was it for missed games, I think. The NCAA does repeat the 40k, but doesn't really seem to have provided much more by way of evidence as of now. They do appear to claim in the full text Rawle was ineligible, but again, it's hard to tell what evidence they claim.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Honestly I think we don't get too bad of a punishment. After reading these we should be fine. Couple years probation and a scholarship reduction. Looks good Book and Phelps ain't here anymore and no mention of miller knowing. IARP should understand that they shouldn't be punishing kids that had nothing to do with this
I said what I said and I mean it.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

What’s the story with “significant ineligibility “ to a player?
BeardownZonaZona

Gotta be Rawle. Pretty much said on there we paid to have his transcript forged
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I can't tell you how hilarious it is that they're hitting us for the fucking Keanu Pinder loan. It was self-reported by Arizona and was considered minor. Now it's part of the reasoning for a Level 1 violation. The NCAA man...
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 pm
The two recruits in the first allegation have to be Rawle and Shareef O'Neal. I don't know how the NCAA squares it that neither of them missed games.

Rawle had the broken foot, but that was it for missed games, I think. The NCAA does repeat the 40k, but doesn't really seem to have provided much more by way of evidence as of now. They do appear to claim in the full text Rawle was ineligible, but again, it's hard to tell what evidence they claim.
The NCAA's sole evidence on the 40k was what Rawle told Christian Dawkins. As a reminder, Rawle was hustling Dawkins by giving him reasons as to why he'd have to pay Book to get players and yada yada yada. It's a scam with no proof it ever occurred, but this is a kangaroo court we're dealing with. Seriously if the FBI could find proof of that 40k, Book would've done wayyyyy more prison time than what he got as that's a bigger crime that what he got busted for. As far as the Reef stuff goes it's hilarious he's had zero eligibility issues at UCLA & LSU, but sure Phelps had to alter his transcript to get him into U of A :roll:. The only reason the Phelps thing is on here is because Dave Heeke jumped the gun and pretty much made it look like we were guilty.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Looks like Scheer got hacked. He’s been non stop shitting on Bobby and Reek.
BeardownZonaZona

I saw that too. If you search him all his tweets are deleted now too
BeardownZonaZona

And thanks for the insight Choo. I was saying the same thing with Shareef. No way is Arizona a harder school than UCLA to get into. Just the truth. And the whole Rawle thing is something else
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Of course Schlabach's article makes the front page on ESPN, https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... violations.
And of course no mention of Ayton.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Irish27 wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:11 am Of course Schlabach's article makes the front page on ESPN, https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... violations.
And of course no mention of Ayton.
Has he written any thing else for ESPN since this whole charade started? I know he used to be a SEC Football beat reporter. Has he talked about anything SEC football on that website since?
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

For 3 years they have run a narrative that Miller paid players to come to Arizona. Altering a transcript is bad and a recruiting advantage that was done by assistants but it is no where near a head coaching knowing and encouraging paying players to come to a school let alone paying $100K.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Of course ESPN has a damning article about Miller that is long an a rehash of the FBI taped material. No mention of their inaccurate allegation that had Dickey V, Bilas and others condemning him 3 years ago. I'm not sure how Sean should have known or asked probing questions about Book taking a bribe. Oh well.....and no mention or write up about Self other than commending him for fighting back.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

The national media would have you think Miller is guilty because of head coach responsibility and all...but it LITERALLY took an FBI wire tap investigation to find out what Book was doing. How is Sean expected to have the same resources as the fucking FBI?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 pm Can I say this? That NOA is about 2x better than I could have hoped. Zero from the FBI beyond Book's conviction. Zero corroboration of ESPN's BS.

Phelps's thing with Pinder is the only other big deal and the NCAA accepted two games and repayment. The entire rest of the allegations are just repackaging Phelps/Pinder and Book taking a bribe.

It's insane they would want us punished any more than we've already done plus some probation and maybe a scholarship or two. ZERO about paying players.
100%

If all you hear is “serious eligibility issues” and “$40,000” then it looks bad, but you’re also a moron that probably believes in the Tooth Fairy.

For everyone else with more then 2 brain cells to rub together this is absolutely nothing to get riled up about. Getting the transcript of one player changed? A $500 loan to another. That’s piddly shit. Where are the bags of cash Sean Miller was supposedly handing out like breath mints after a meal at a garlic-heavy pasta joint?

“But Sean Miller pays players!!!”

Oh yeah? The NCAA, FBI, and Justice Department don’t seem to think so. You might as well shit in a bowl and call it chocolate pudding. Extra points if you actually eat it.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Chicat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:19 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:38 pm Can I say this? That NOA is about 2x better than I could have hoped. Zero from the FBI beyond Book's conviction. Zero corroboration of ESPN's BS.

Phelps's thing with Pinder is the only other big deal and the NCAA accepted two games and repayment. The entire rest of the allegations are just repackaging Phelps/Pinder and Book taking a bribe.

It's insane they would want us punished any more than we've already done plus some probation and maybe a scholarship or two. ZERO about paying players.
100%

If all you hear is “serious eligibility issues” and “$40,000” then it looks bad, but you’re also a moron that probably believes in the Tooth Fairy.

For everyone else with more then 2 brain cells to rub together this is absolutely nothing to get riled up about. Getting the transcript of one player changed? A $500 loan to another. That’s piddly shit. Where are the bags of cash Sean Miller was supposedly handing out like breath mints after a meal at a garlic-heavy pasta joint?

“But Sean Miller pays players!!!”

Oh yeah? The NCAA, FBI, and Justice Department don’t seem to think so. You might as well shit in a bowl and call it chocolate pudding. Extra points if you actually eat it.
Well paying to get the transcript changed is a big fucking deal if there were actual merit to it. The problem is I'm not sure these dipshits care about merit and I have no idea what the IARP's view on the lack of merit will be.

Also you mentioned the $500 loan and how much of a joke that is, especially since Arizona self-reported that one, but the one where Phelps told a commit to "recruit" for Arizona at an Adidas event is the most petty and laughable shit of this entire ordeal. It's so ridiculously LAWL.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm just in love with the NCAA's use of "and/or" in their allegation.

"Richardson arranged for and/or paid $40,000 to obtain a fraudulent academic credit and/or transcript from..."

Just throw shit at the wall and see what sticks. That's the level of professionalism and care that we expect from the NCAA.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m not sure how they can allege the grade stuff if they let these kids play or even enroll
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

When was the last time a team got more than 2 postseasons taken away?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:12 pm When was the last time a team got more than 2 postseasons taken away?
Ole Miss (football) back in 2017?

Penn State got a huge fine & 4 year ban for their scandal, although the ban was later commuted to 2 years.

The more relevant question is what was the last school that got hit with 5 level 1 violations.........most of which the
NCAA considers to be "aggravated". I suspect, unfortunately, that Pascoe's projection is closer to the truth than most here realize.
Its hard to make an accurate projection of what is likely to happen until we see how the IARP treats the schools in front of us. If the NCAA can use everything that has been made public as evidence (and they have already said they can) then we are probably screwed. Many here keep confusing the IARP with a Court of Law......which it sure as hell is not. Its more of a Tribunal or Kangaroo court. They are free to interpret the NCAA evidence however they want.
wyo-cat

Post by wyo-cat »

Isn’t one of the 5 infractions the Pinder issue which has already been adjudicated?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm fuzzy on the Book allegation on paying to fix a transcript. Is there any actual proof the transcript was altered/changed? Is there any money trail? Or is the allegation simply based on Book talking out his ass on a wire tap? The allegation could have total merit or it could be anorexic thin -- with the NCAA it seems that if somebody alleges something then it's as good as gold for them, regardless of proof. I know we're not in a court of law but you have to have a little bit of proof to your allegation other than a phone conversation...maybe even some corroboration.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

On the one hand, there's nothing we didn't already know about. On the other hand, it's what we've always said. We're both big enough and not important enough to get the worst case outcome. They're going to completely destroy us to make an example out of us and pretend that they're tough on crime, and will still look the other way the next time a Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA does anything wrong. I fully expect them to cancel all sports at the UofA. Anything less and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Still no retraction from ESPN on their Ayton story, right? Those idiots think Adidas paid Ayton to go to a Nike school.

Honestly, the thing I'm most concerned about is Nike dropping us. They have UCLA and Oregon now, right? I shouldn't even put this horrible idea out there.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

dmjcat wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:44 pm
Chicat wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:12 pm When was the last time a team got more than 2 postseasons taken away?

Penn State got a huge fine & 4 year ban for their scandal, although the ban was later commuted to 2 years.

The more relevant question is what was the last school that got hit with 5 level 1 violations.........most of which the
NCAA considers to be "aggravated". I suspect, unfortunately, that Pascoe's projection is closer to the truth than most here realize.
Its hard to make an accurate projection of what is likely to happen until we see how the IARP treats the schools in front of us. If the NCAA can use everything that has been made public as evidence (and they have already said they can) then we are probably screwed. Many here keep confusing the IARP with a Court of Law......which it sure as hell is not. Its more of a Tribunal or Kangaroo court. They are free to interpret the NCAA evidence however they want.
Presumably the IARP is a proceeding where Arizona will be able to present its own evidence and be able to refute allegations. It isn't as if the NCAA's NOA is the only thing the IARP is going to consider. A 2-5 post-season ban? That would be unreasonable and outrageous, based on what has been revealed from the NOA. It will be interesting to see what happens to Kansas because they can't get a slap on the wrist for five level-5 violations (including allegations and evidence of Self's direct involvement) by the IARP, and then have the IARP turn around and deliver a death-penalty sanction to Arizona.
azpatnca

Post by azpatnca »

If you count 2019 as ruined by this scandal, count 2020 as Covid. 2021 this. Then add 5 years of punishment. That's nearly a decade without a post-season. Unbelievable.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

midnightx wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 pm

Presumably the IARP is a proceeding where Arizona will be able to present its own evidence and be able to refute allegations. It isn't as if the NCAA's NOA is the only thing the IARP is going to consider. A 2-5 post-season ban? That would be unreasonable and outrageous, based on what has been revealed from the NOA. It will be interesting to see what happens to Kansas because they can't get a slap on the wrist for five level-5 violations (including allegations and evidence of Self's direct involvement) by the IARP, and then have the IARP turn around and deliver a death-penalty sanction to Arizona.
Those 5 allegations at Kansas have 9 aggravators attached to them. The Pender deal isn't about the $500 bucks it is about a coach asking a player to delete the text showing a trail then denying it. Think Bruce Pearl at Tennessee. Not the BBQ he had with potential recruit but denying it occurred and asking a parent to also lie.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Arizona's allegations are not near as bad as Kansas's. They may have an issue with Adidas being called sponsor of their athletics but they have Self talking about Adidas getting him some players and Townsend telling Adidas they needed to help on some recruits. Then their is testimony that Adidas has paid some Kansas players including one (Preston) that never played there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Ole Miss got one year on top of their self-imposed one year ban. That’s not more than 2.

As for PSU, I’d like to think our program’s transgressions don’t rise to the level of overlooking predatory sexual abuse of minors.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Apparently that only gets you a couple years
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Arizona isn't going to be the only one hit with sanctions, or additional sanctions. Kansas is not going to get off free like North Carolina did with the academic scandal -- the irony is that the NCAA may have gone lighter on Kansas than the IARP process because the NCAA wants to protect certain brands. Louisville actually facilitated a massive payment to a player. While the speculation is the NCAA (and ESPN) would love to make an example out of Arizona, it is no longer in the NCAA's hands. There are other programs that are dealing with serious allegations and damaging evidence. Is the IARP process going to destroy multiple top-tier programs? Doubtful. It is difficult to imagine that Arizona gets anything more than a second post-season ban.
mofo

Post by mofo »

I suppose we'll find out how independent the IARP is from the NCAA. I don't know much about the IARP so this is speculation, but my fear is that the NCAA is or will be able to influence the IARP, so that its decision making isn't going to fall too far from the NCAA tree and not upset the mother ship.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:48 pm If the NCAA wasn't in Kansas City, I'd be borderline ready to put my Wildcat head/cape on and Q Shaman their HQ.

If ESPN wasn't in Connecticut, I'd be halfway to the car.
The NCAA headquarters is in Indianapolis.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

azpatnca wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:17 pm On the one hand, there's nothing we didn't already know about. On the other hand, it's what we've always said. We're both big enough and not important enough to get the worst case outcome. They're going to completely destroy us to make an example out of us and pretend that they're tough on crime, and will still look the other way the next time a Duke, UNC, Kansas or UCLA does anything wrong. I fully expect them to cancel all sports at the UofA. Anything less and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Still no retraction from ESPN on their Ayton story, right? Those idiots think Adidas paid Ayton to go to a Nike school.

Honestly, the thing I'm most concerned about is Nike dropping us. They have UCLA and Oregon now, right? I shouldn't even put this horrible idea out there.
Being used by the NCAA/IARP as the Poster Child/Whipping boy for this entire mess is my greatest fear. Should the IARP serve up a multi-year post-season ban on Kansas with heavy sanctions on Self (and then hammer us) then we won't have a leg to stand on. But if Kansas and everyone else gets wrist slapped and we get butchered by the IARP the UA administration/lawyers need to go full scorched earth..........file lawsuit after lawsuit (in a real court) and attempt to drag Zion Williamson up on the stand and ask him how much he got paid to attend Duke. I personally would like the UA administration to take a more hard line/aggressive approach towards defending Miller/UA in public.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

This seems to be binding arbitration

So if they give Kansas nothing and fuck us with 5 year post season ban...there might be no recourse.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

SCCats wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:46 am This seems to be binding arbitration

So if they give Kansas nothing and fuck us with 5 year post season ban...there might be no recourse.
Its not clear to me if the binding arbitration applies to appeals within the NCAA..........or all appeals everywhere (Good question for which I have not seen a definitive answer to)

In any case I do wish the UA would be more aggressive (as Kansas is doing) and make it clear to the NCAA that we will not lay down and accept being the whipping boy for this entire mess.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

They surely will finish with Kansas before us. So if they do really fuck Kansas, we will undoubtedly find out if there is any recourse. Because Kansas seems determined to fight it to the bitter end, wherev er that might be.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 6:09 pm I'm fuzzy on the Book allegation on paying to fix a transcript. Is there any actual proof the transcript was altered/changed? Is there any money trail? Or is the allegation simply based on Book talking out his ass on a wire tap? The allegation could have total merit or it could be anorexic thin -- with the NCAA it seems that if somebody alleges something then it's as good as gold for them, regardless of proof. I know we're not in a court of law but you have to have a little bit of proof to your allegation other than a phone conversation...maybe even some corroboration.
This is the million dollar question for me about all of it. That allegation is the one with real damage potential, IMO.

Book's conviction is a given. We have to take something for that.

Shareef has been cleared at every turn. That leads me to believe whatever happened with his class couldn't be that damaging.

Pinder's thing was nothing after he repaid.

The allegation about a prosepct recruiting for us, I'm honestly shocked that's a violation. You'd think kids talk all the time.

That's pretty much it. We know Book said what he said about Rawle. Whether there's any meat on that bone is the biggest question left.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If they give Kansas nothing I think the AZ reaction would be to self ban for 5 more years
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:02 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:30 pm

The NCAA's sole evidence on the 40k was what Rawle told Christian Dawkins. As a reminder, Rawle was hustling Dawkins by giving him reasons as to why he'd have to pay Book to get players and yada yada yada. It's a scam with no proof it ever occurred, but this is a kangaroo court we're dealing with. Seriously if the FBI could find proof of that 40k, Book would've done wayyyyy more prison time than what he got as that's a bigger crime that what he got busted for. As far as the Reef stuff goes it's hilarious he's had zero eligibility issues at UCLA & LSU, but sure Phelps had to alter his transcript to get him into U of A :roll:. The only reason the Phelps thing is on here is because Dave Heeke jumped the gun and pretty much made it look like we were guilty.
Wow. I can't imagine that's it, but...well, it's the NCAA, so i can.

Book talked so much shit about what he was doing, it's crazy to me the NCAA would focus on this one thing. Book practically said he hacked the 2016 election for the Russians on those tapes.

So the NCAA picked one statement out of many to build a violation off with no corroboration? Classic NCAA.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Book talked so much shit about what he was doing, it's crazy to me the NCAA would focus on this one thing. Book practically said he hacked the 2016 election for the Russians on those tapes.

So the NCAA picked one statement out of many to build a violation off with no corroboration? Classic NCAA.
Honestly the only way they have more is if they got somebody to talk that the FBI couldn't.

They latched on to it because it's their wheelhouse i.e. academics. The rest about paying guys and yada yada yada is too slippery of a slope for them.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:53 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:49 pm

Honestly the only way they have more is if they got somebody to talk that the FBI couldn't.

They latched on to it because it's their wheelhouse i.e. academics. The rest about paying guys and yada yada yada is too slippery of a slope for them.
Yeah, the NCAA doesn't have subpoena power, unless I'm wrong.

I don't see who else would talk. Rawle has no incentive to talk. It was allegedly done through a HS coach, who also has no incentive to talk. I also have no clue what sort of person would refuse to talk to the FBI but talk to the NCAA. There's no upside.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

What doesn't add up to me about the Rawle story is if it had legs, why wasn't Book indicted on charges and why no high school admin charged either? It's not like the FBI wasn't looking either. In addition to the basketball scandal, there was Operation Varsity Blues, with several college admission scandals, and dozens of arrests, including Lori Laughlin.

And I'm happy to let Kansas be the canary in the mine. If their tactic works, we can emulate. If not, we can pivot.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

AzCatFan2 wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 4:42 pm What doesn't add up to me about the Rawle story is if it had legs, why wasn't Book indicted on charges and why no high school admin charged either? It's not like the FBI wasn't looking either. In addition to the basketball scandal, there was Operation Varsity Blues, with several college admission scandals, and dozens of arrests, including Lori Laughlin.

And I'm happy to let Kansas be the canary in the mine. If their tactic works, we can emulate. If not, we can pivot.
Also, didn't I read somewhere in the NOA that the UAs attorneys/investigators had interviewed Book? And that the NCAA was miffed because the UA didn't share that info? If Book was deposed and said the was just talkin' shit about the 40k on that tape, I would think that would blow a big part of the NOA charges out of the water.