Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

gronk4heisman

Re: Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Post by gronk4heisman »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 am I can’t wait to get off with a wrist slap too and know that we imploded Miller and his team, years after this, for no good reason.

I don’t get why we fought only to submit a few years down the line. Fire him after the Buffalo game, at least that makes sense. For fucks sake you coulda got Lloyd then and we’d be further along now.

Smh.
Maybe could have got Nate Oats instead.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Olsondogg wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 10:14 am I can’t wait to get off with a wrist slap too and know that we imploded Miller and his team, years after this, for no good reason.

I don’t get why we fought only to submit a few years down the line. Fire him after the Buffalo game, at least that makes sense. For fucks sake you coulda got Lloyd then and we’d be further along now.

Smh.
Actually, we could have gotten either Musselman or Beard in 2018. They were both there for the taking.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Smh.
Actually, we could have gotten either Musselman or Beard in 2018. They were both there for the taking.
Correct on this. I'd have had some respect if Bobke had fired Miller in response to the FBI investigation, and it would have 100% resulted in Muss and Beard being leaders for the opening.

I don't think Miller should have come close to being fired over Buffalo. Yeah, it sucked, but if you fire a coach over a tourney upset, you'll be firing a coach every 3-4 years, best case scenario.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:49 pm
dmjcat wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:03 pm

Smh.
Correct on this. I'd have had some respect if Bobke had fired Miller in response to the FBI investigation, and it would have 100% resulted in Muss and Beard being leaders for the opening.

I don't think Miller should have come close to being fired over Buffalo. Yeah, it sucked, but if you fire a coach over a tourney upset, you'll be firing a coach every 3-4 years, best case scenario.
I’m saying that after that season it seemed like a time to cut bait. They seemingly went all in prior to that, and then referenced the lack of wins as the reason for doing the term now.

I agree he should not have been fired. If he had been fired then we coulda easily had more choices in coaches.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:04 pm
At least it's something. I think two have already been with the IARP over a year at this point.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Just let us go behind Kansas so folks can compare punishments. If Kansas does not get hammered then we should skate by as well. Don't forget Kansas has a number of players that were held out over the years because of "issues" before they were cleared. One never got to suit up after they questioned why he was driving a new luxury car. It is not one year with them it is a pattern of behavior. Townsend was asking Adidas to influence recruits. Book was steering former athletes to a financial advisor and not increasing Sean Miller's or Arizona's chances. Oh and how is the Self lawsuit coming? Interesting his contract indicated he couldn't be touch for prior violations.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I don't expect additional postseason ineligibility. Just loss of scholarships and possibly vacated wins. They can't suspend Miller because we already punished him much worse.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

TheCat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 pm Just let us go behind Kansas so folks can compare punishments. If Kansas does not get hammered then we should skate by as well. Don't forget Kansas has a number of players that were held out over the years because of "issues" before they were cleared. One never got to suit up after they questioned why he was driving a new luxury car. It is not one year with them it is a pattern of behavior. Townsend was asking Adidas to influence recruits. Book was steering former athletes to a financial advisor and not increasing Sean Miller's or Arizona's chances. Oh and how is the Self lawsuit coming? Interesting his contract indicated he couldn't be touch for prior violations.
The referral petition putting the KU case before the IARP is fucking BLEAK for Kansas.

Located here

This section in particular:

Bylaw 19.11.3.1.1-(g): Increased Stakes
The stakes are particularly high for the Kansas men's basketball program. The Level I allegations include an illicit recruiting scheme, other recruiting violations, a head coach responsibility violation and lack of institutional control. As part of the institutional control allegation, the enforcement staff argues that Kansas played xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx despite knowing that the potential violations would have impacted his eligibility. The enforcement staff also identified a prevalence of aggravating factors for Kansas, Self and Townsend. If a hearing panel concludes that violations occurred, the penalties may be significant.

Good luck with all that, KU.

PS the NCAA shows that they are not at all thrilled with Kansas' behavior in response to the NOA (constantly jumping into the media spotlight to discuss confidential details of the case, cast doubt on the impartiality of the investigation, cast the NCAA in a negative light, etc.)
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Ask USC how that works. Hammer time. Can't even follow directions on how large the responses can be which appears to be another violation. That is after they allowed responses to be 2.5X what is normally allowed.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Was this already posted in here? Just came across it

"Did ACE/PGU start this whole mess with Book & the FBI??"

https://playersprogramu.com/index.php?topic=1570.0
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 am Was this already posted in here? Just came across it

"Did ACE/PGU start this whole mess with Book & the FBI??"

https://playersprogramu.com/index.php?topic=1570.0
This is, maybe, the dumbest thing that site has posted and that's really saying something.

We know the source of the FBI investigation - it had nothing to do with Book. It had nothing to do with college basketball at all, at first. So the FBI started the investigation because of a crooked financial adviser in Pittsburgh and at the end of a very long trail they snagged Book BUT ALSO it started with Book.

Genius detective work by PPU.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Are you saying Miller to NC ST?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:03 pm
I mean, if you hired a coach who was paying players at his previous job, you've got to be a little disappointed if he doesn't pay players to come to your place.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Maybe ACE was schaublob’s source
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Postmaster wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 6:23 pm Are you saying Miller to NC ST?
I hope I hope I hope!!

And I hope they pay 5 mil a year.

Then he'd be right in dickie v's backyard!!

Hope he pees on his fence and let's his dog poop in dickies yard!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://247sports.com/Article/Zion-Will ... 165508460/

The mother and stepfather of Zion Williamson accepted payments from former Adidas executive Chris Rivers between 2016 and 2019 bank records show, as reported through a record request completed Monday by the Raleigh News & Observer.

According to the records, four separate wire transfers from Rivers’ company, In Your Eye Sports, were made to a joint bank account in the name of Williamson’s mother, Sharonda Anderson, and Williamson's stepfather, Lee Anderson. The payments, made between December 2016 and March 2017, totaled $5,000.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:58 am https://247sports.com/Article/Zion-Will ... 165508460/

The mother and stepfather of Zion Williamson accepted payments from former Adidas executive Chris Rivers between 2016 and 2019 bank records show, as reported through a record request completed Monday by the Raleigh News & Observer.

According to the records, four separate wire transfers from Rivers’ company, In Your Eye Sports, were made to a joint bank account in the name of Williamson’s mother, Sharonda Anderson, and Williamson's stepfather, Lee Anderson. The payments, made between December 2016 and March 2017, totaled $5,000.
Vitale and his cronies at ESPN will look the other way. And frankly, so will the NCAA. They took down the USC football program for a third-party paying money to Reggie Bush's parents, but somehow one suspects that same scrutiny will not apply to Duke basketball.
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Holy shit
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

So he was extorting Louisville for money

Meh
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 1:22 pm Holy shit
Production of recruiting videos was the violation he was trying to extort Louisville with?

That's only like the 8th worst NCAA violation Pitino committed that day.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:16 pm
Production of recruiting videos was the violation he was trying to extort Louisville with?

This guy came after Pitino, was a Mack hire. Apparently not all the trash was taken out with Pitino.
AzCatFan2

Post by AzCatFan2 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 7:58 am https://247sports.com/Article/Zion-Will ... 165508460/

So there is actual evidence and a paper trail Zion took money before and while attending Duke, making him ineligible. If I were UNC Charlotte or Davidson, I'd be worried about what kind of punishment they will be getting!
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ha!
JMarkJohns

Post by JMarkJohns »

In 2 years the NCAA will allow some sort of image/likeness/celebrity monetizing and every one of these bullcrap cases looks like the injustice they were to begin with, but everyone got on their pious thrown of cash and spouted sanctimonious bullshit about amateur Athletics and the love of the sport whilest getting paid.

This whole thing really is one of the most perplexing misuses of federal reach in our lifetime. Book went to prison because an agency paid him to steer kids to their agency. It’s just insane.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:22 pm

This guy came after Pitino, was a Mack hire. Apparently not all the trash was taken out with Pitino.
That's not trash. The funniest part to me is he tried to extort them for the most innocuous violation ever.

They were paying players, paying prostitutes for players and Gaudio was trying to blackmail them over recruiting videos. :lol:
UAdevil

Post by UAdevil »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue May 18, 2021 5:22 pm

Everyone comes after Pitino.
Love the 've! Stop with the: Would of - Could of - Should of - Must of - Might of
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Ha!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 5:42 pm
Further evidence of how far from reality the NCAA is. In the real world, a year or two of litigation for a case is normal.

Things are harder when you're not prosecutor, judge and jury.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

It’s a bit ironic that Emmert comes out with this after the U of A President got involved.
Seems like NCAA had no problem with the speed of the process while CSM was here.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

NCAA imposes penalties on Creighton associated with the FBI scandal (they didn't go the IARP route)

https://247sports.com/Article/NCAA-hits ... 166848421/
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:48 am NCAA imposes penalties on Creighton associated with the FBI scandal (they didn't go the IARP route)

Key here is no postseason ban.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:59 pm In 2 years the NCAA will allow some sort of image/likeness/celebrity monetizing and every one of these bullcrap cases looks like the injustice they were to begin with, but everyone got on their pious thrown of cash and spouted sanctimonious bullshit about amateur Athletics and the love of the sport whilest getting paid.

This whole thing really is one of the most perplexing misuses of federal reach in our lifetime. Book went to prison because an agency paid him to steer kids to their agency. It’s just insane.

NCAA amateurism is effectively dead, and the association itself may not be far behind
The tenet upon which the NCAA's based is fading, and its power is quickly slipping away

https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... -wildcats/
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dmjcat wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:48 am NCAA imposes penalties on Creighton associated with the FBI scandal (they didn't go the IARP route)

If the two allegations regarding academic recruiting misconduct are found to be meritless, then this is essentially the same charge that Arizona is facing: an assistant coach took a bribe to steer players to a sports agency when they went pro.

I'm struggling to believe that the allegation regarding Book is real - the DOJ sure would have liked to have hit him with those extra bribery charges and it would have made for a bigger story ("College athletics is so scandal driven that they've resorted to paying off high school administrators with $40k bribes!"). Far more likely that Book made that $40k bribe up so that he could get himself some more money.

And the Phelps allegation - well... O'Neal enrolled at UCLA (and later LSU) so I'm not sure what Phelps was covering up on O'Neal's behalf to get him into Arizona. Arizona, you'll remember, chose to let Phelps's contract expire rather than firing him for cause.

Take those two allegations off the table and the basis for major punishment becomes pretty difficult to justify, in light of punishments like Creighton and USC and others have received.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m still hoping for a show cause against the admin.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Slap on the wrist for TCU, who had an assistant coach take bribes to steer players to the agency (though he gave the money back and avoided jail time because of it).

https://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/me ... duct-rules

Three years probation for TCU and a show cause for the assistant coach.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Corrupt organization
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 5:28 pm
The majority was on litigating a case to the US Supreme Court to keep players from getting rights to their own name and likeness. They got slapped down 9-0, despite the NCAA spending millions.

Then, Emmert broke the hypocrisy meter by saying:

"I think this is a really, really propitious moment to sit back and look at a lot of the core assumptions and say, 'You know, if we were going to build college sports again, and in 2020 instead of 1920, what would that look like?'" Emmert said. "What would we change? What would we expect or want to be different in the way we manage it? And this is good. This is the right time."

Yeah...the right time is when you dropped millions to lose a court case fighting for the opposite and now you'd be in violation of a Supreme court ruling if you didn't.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The rube on 1490 just espoused a theory that AZ will leave one scholly open in case the ncaa imposes a reduction this year.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 pm The rube on 1490 just espoused a theory that AZ will leave one scholly open in case the ncaa imposes a reduction this year.
Justin Spears?
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:28 pm The rube on 1490 just espoused a theory that AZ will leave one scholly open in case the ncaa imposes a reduction this year.
That didn't make much sense when Lloyd floated it. It doesn't make any more sense now.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

I doubt the NCAA would make us kick someone off the team or out of school if we filled that last schollie, so where’s the logic?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Maybe if you cant fill it with anyone decent, which appears to be the case, you self sanction one scholly now in hopes you don't lose one later That seems to be the going rate for others in our shoes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:56 pm Maybe if you cant fill it with anyone decent, which appears to be the case, you self sanction one scholly now in hopes you don't lose one later That seems to be the going rate for others in our shoes.
The issue with that is that the NCAA probably can figure out you're doing that. Heck, we took heat for self-sanctioning a tourney we would have made because "it wasn't as talented as Arizona usually is."
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

I don't believe the NCAA kicks anyone off your team, but I think if you take a guy and then lose a scholarship you would then need 2 guys to leave for you to add 1 the following year. So maybe it limits your options for the following year?

In the end, if you can't get someone who you think will contribute then I don't see the benefit of just adding another guy anyway.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 am I don't believe the NCAA kicks anyone off your team, but I think if you take a guy and then lose a scholarship you would then need 2 guys to leave for you to add 1 the following year. So maybe it limits your options for the following year?

In the end, if you can't get someone who you think will contribute then I don't see the benefit of just adding another guy anyway.
I'm not sure it's ever an issue. Aiken and Kier are for sure gone next year. Mathurin and Tubelis probably are gone. If Tubelis goes, you'd expect his brother to go as well.

So we could sign a 5 man class without changing our scholarship #. That doesn't even factor in transfers, and transferring is easier than it's ever been.

So, I'm somewhat of the mind you never really worry too much about having spots. That works itself out. Leaving a spot open because we didn't find someone we like...is a double edged sword. Yes, it can be better than someone who isn't a fit. But, it is also on the coach to find fits, and lord knows, there were enough people in the portal.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:39 am
DrWildcat wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:35 am I don't believe the NCAA kicks anyone off your team, but I think if you take a guy and then lose a scholarship you would then need 2 guys to leave for you to add 1 the following year. So maybe it limits your options for the following year?

I'm not sure it's ever an issue. Aiken and Kier are for sure gone next year. Mathurin and Tubelis probably are gone. If Tubelis goes, you'd expect his brother to go as well.

So we could sign a 5 man class without changing our scholarship #. That doesn't even factor in transfers, and transferring is easier than it's ever been.

So, I'm somewhat of the mind you never really worry too much about having spots. That works itself out. Leaving a spot open because we didn't find someone we like...is a double edged sword. Yes, it can be better than someone who isn't a fit. But, it is also on the coach to find fits, and lord knows, there were enough people in the portal.
Aiken has two years of eligibility remaining.