Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bosy Billups

Re: Huge Bribery Scandal. Book Richardson Involved

Post by Bosy Billups »

Jefe wrote:Makes me wonder who tipped the FBI off? Calipari?
They said the guy charged with SEC fraud divulged names of people engaging in this behavior. Sounds like part of some sort of plea deal
gumby

Post by gumby »

Why him? How about NIke or some other shoe company? More likely. Or some butt-hurt lower level sleazeball who got cut out.
Right where I want to be.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bosy Billups wrote:LOL at all the chicken littles. You would be terrible going to war with, run the other way from the enemy.

Support Arizona, Miller through this 100%. Get it!
Oh will you shut the f_ck up and show some shame for Christ's sake? There is no goddamned excuse for this situation, and no, we should not support Miller 100% when one of his assistants has just been indicted in a muther f_cking bribery case.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Honestly it sounds like we'll be ok for this season as far as I can tell. Wtf happens in the future who knows? Recruiting will certainly be impacted by this.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So what specifically was the federal law broken? At first I thought this was an NCAA thing. E they are as blindsided as us.

I starting for feel as if we might end up relatively ok through this despite i it's impressions when this first broke.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Bosy Billups wrote:
They said the guy charged with SEC fraud divulged names of people engaging in this behavior. Sounds like part of some sort of plea deal
Makes sense.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the exchange of money (certainly much much more than 20k) has been going on at every top 50 basketball program for the last 25 years.

it was bound to come to the surface sometime.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Even if we made a F4 in the last couple of years it would've been vacated, which is the ultimate Arizona basketball luck
gumby

Post by gumby »

Puerco wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:LOL at all the chicken littles. You would be terrible going to war with, run the other way from the enemy.

Support Arizona, Miller through this 100%. Get it!
Oh will you shut the f_ck up and show some shame for Christ's sake? There is no goddamned excuse for this situation, and no, we should not support Miller 100% when one of his assistants has just been indicted in a muther f_cking bribery case.
My Coach Right or Wrong!
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

They had a confidential informant who sang like a bird because he was charged in an unrelated but similar conspiracy. Slime balls associate with slime balls, he lets the FBI and US Attorney's office know he can help them, and Book's dumbass was engaging with the wrong people at the wrong time, when FBI eyes and ears were on those particular slime balls. There are likely tons more Books out there who were engaging in similar conduct, just with people who weren't being watched by the FBI.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

gumby wrote:
Bosy Billups wrote:
Makes sense.
this is correct, a low level investment adviser was flagged and investigated and gave names and insight including wearing a wire to aid in the investigation and to save and/or reduce his own exposure.
gumby

Post by gumby »

NYCat wrote:Even if we made a F4 in the last couple of years it would've been vacated, which is the ultimate Arizona basketball luck
Was thinking the same thing. And think of all the money people have dropped following the team. And relationships ruined. :)

Plus, all the ancillary businesses that depend on it being a viable and elite program.

Bright side for people who want players to be paid: They were!
Last edited by gumby on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Possibly Ayton or Alkins? Trier doesn't fit the mold?

Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

This is more of a Dog and Pony show for the DOJ.

As 97 said, it goes on in every program, sorry. That's what happens when you exploit kids from the hood by not letting them get paid, a black market of sorts happens.

Miller isn't implicated, this just seems like a slip of judgment from Book. He takes the fall, move on.

Support Arizona and Miller! We're going for a Natty this year and enjoy drinking the hater's tears (some of which are on this board, sadly)
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

The question you should ask is who is the current player that was referenced in the report? That's the problem IMO
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
threenumberones

Post by threenumberones »

Jefe wrote:Possibly Ayton or Alkins? Trier doesn't fit the mold?

It doesn't indicate money was involved, so the player might stay eligible.
Puerco

Post by Puerco »

Bosy Billups wrote:This is more of a Dog and Pony show for the DOJ.

As 97 said, it goes on in every program, sorry. That's what happens when you exploit kids from the hood by not letting them get paid, a black market of sorts happens.

Miller isn't implicated, this just seems like a slip of judgment from Book. He takes the fall, move on.

Support Arizona and Miller! We're going for a Natty this year and enjoy drinking the hater's tears (some of which are on this board, sadly)
You're pathetic, dude. I hate apologists.
'A parent is the one person who is supposed to make their kid think they can do anything. Says they're beautiful even when they're ugly. Thinks they're smart even when they go to Arizona State.' -- Jack Donaghy
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Rawle/Trier and Ayton are likely the two current players.

HOWEVER they were almost certainly NOT paid as the FBI would have noted the payment to Book and then the payment from Book to the players/families.

Rawle/Trier = Player 7

Ayton = Player 6
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
gumby

Post by gumby »

So you think we retain the players that weren't amateurs? Or we win despite them?

I envision losing players over that and decommitments. But not out of hate.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

You have got to be kidding.

You and Book see some things in the same light.

Oh well.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jesus Christ can we stop yelling at each other and focus on the issue at hand?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I absolutely despise the argument of "Well.... everyone does it...."

Have a spine, stand for something, and do what's right.

It's really not a hard way to live your life.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

So Bribary is a federal crime? Who was bribed in this case? An investment agent to book? For getting people to sign with az? And investment agent paying players family? Spell it out for me I'm slow on these matters.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

gumby wrote:

So you think we retain the players that weren't amateurs? Or we win despite them?

I envision losing players over that and decommitments. But not out of hate.
We'll have to lose the players involved in the $ changing hands. Feel bad for the kid TBH, that could cost a lot of development if ineligible. That's a mess, but so long that there are no taps on Miller or others in the program, think this could be contained to a Book Richardson issue. Needs to be handles smartly, probably Miller/School presser today laying out how they will learn from this, etc. If they don't have one, then :shock:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

If Quinerly DID NOT KNOW about the payment to his mom, it's POSSIBLE he retains his eligibility.
threenumberones

Alieberman wrote:I absolutely despise the argument of "Well.... everyone does it...."

Seriously. Thank you for this. I've always tried to put integrity first in anything I do. With #45 around it feels like that word has come to mean nothing. To me it means everything and the rest is just noise. Fuck man, what a depressing morning.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

the maddening part is that its known that Richardson was a loose cannon and even called "The Clown" on the inside.

everyone around Arizona knew Richardson was totally unreliable and simply stupid -- sad because it was just a matter of time and frankly ive been shocked it took this long.

the surprising part was that he was still allowed to be apart of the program -- even after multiple and separate egregious error(s) and countless poor judgement(s) and bad decisions, he was still allowed to stick around.

doing nothing, and enabling, is the single most perplexing thing about Sean Miller since hes been at AZ.

hell, this is a guy that was taking money from a recruiting website to supply information, even after he was told time and time again to stop the affiliation.

this is a guy that had a major drinking problem and would brag about paying players at booster events.

i love Sean Miller, but anyone remotely close to the program knows Miller and everyone else in the Wildcat world knew Richardson was totally unreliable and in over his head.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Don't get used to Quinerly (who else could it be?)
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

lol at the squeaky wheels who never go a MPH above the speed limit. You want a team full of Zane Johnson's? "Yes, if that means playing fairly, then yes." LOL. This has been going on in basketball, football, baseball, probably down to club Ping-Pong. This will change the game for sure, so your wish may soon be granted.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

The title would be vacated even if we don't get a postseason ban this year

There are current players implicated
threenumberones

YoDeFoe wrote:If Quinerly DID NOT KNOW about the payment to his mom, it's POSSIBLE he retains his eligibility.
I sincerely doubt it's possible. I think we have seen this film before..
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97cats wrote:the maddening part is that its known that Richardson was a loose cannon and even called "The Clown" on the inside.

everyone around Arizona knew Richardson was totally unreliable and simply stupid -- sad because it was just a matter of time and frankly ive been shocked it took this long.

the surprising part was that he was still allowed to be apart of the program -- even after multiple and separate egregious error(s) and countless poor judgement(s) and bad decisions, he was still allowed to stick around.

doing nothing, and enabling, is the single most perplexing thing about Sean Miller since hes been at AZ.

hell, this is a guy that was taking money from a recruiting website to supply information, even after he was told time and time again to stop the affiliation.

this is a guy that had a major drinking problem and would brag about paying players at booster events.

i love Sean Miller, but anyone remotely close to the program knows Miller and everyone else in the Wildcat world knew Richardson was totally unreliable and in over his head.
Miller is about loyalty. Obviously an Achilles heal, but also a character trait to be loyal to your early supporters who chose to "ride or die" with you coming up in the game.
gumby

Post by gumby »

Alieberman wrote:I absolutely despise the argument of "Well.... everyone does it...."

Right on.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jefe

Post by Jefe »

All this over $20-30K and Book makes well over $200K a year.

Investigation started in Vegas for the tourney and they have video surveillance of their meeting. PG 74 is interesting, 2 unidentified males and 1 unidentied female. Pg 75 would be Pasternack?

Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Some of you guys are dreaming, which is almost as bad as some of you rationalizing and making excuses.

Miller is gone and should be. This is not the NCAA making allegations. It's a FBI corruption case with people having been arrested. It's an embarrassment for our university and it's alumni. Just shameful.

I'll wait a bit, but it looks like I'll be removing my proud alumni stickers.

Why can't we have nice things?
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
gumby

Post by gumby »

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... &id=201408" target="_blank
A month later, Dawkins told an undercover agent that Richardson needed another $15,000 to secure the player, who he identified as a "top point guard in the country," according to the complaint.

In a meeting in August, Richardson told Dawkins and Sood which current UA basketball players he intended to influence to sign with Dawkins new management company, the complaint says.
So maybe contained to Quinerly, if he intended to, but had yet to, influence others?
Last edited by gumby on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
In re UofA

Post by In re UofA »

I have zero inside information, but Book may have been kept around because he either did the dirty work or he would have caused the program problems if he was let go.

Major college athletics needs a drastic overhaul, but I still love the program. Sad day.
Last edited by In re UofA on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

carcassdragger wrote:Some of you guys are dreaming, which is almost as bad as some of you rationalizing and making excuses.

Miller is gone and should be. This is not the NCAA making allegations. It's a FBI corruption case with people having been arrested. It's an embarrassment for our university and it's alumni. Just shameful.

Another one you never want to go to war with. First shot, "RUN!" while his team stays in battle to fight.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

carcassdragger wrote:Miller is gone and should be.
:lol: No chance. Maybe a suspension but thats it
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

In re UofA wrote:I have near zero inside information, but Book may have been kept around because he either did the dirty work or he would have caused the program problems if he was let go.

Major college athletics needs a drastic overhaul, but I still love the program. Sad day.
Or, maybe Book is part of the Illuminati?
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zero chance
Jefe wrote::lol: No chance. Maybe a suspension but thats it
doubt a suspension

im hearing the FBI is saying the employers and the universities are the victims.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

97, IYO, is it inevitable we lose a player from the current roster?
threenumberones

carcassdragger wrote:Some of you guys are dreaming, which is almost as bad as some of you rationalizing and making excuses.

There is no evidence that Miller has done anything wrong. The allegations don't even demonstrate benefit to the program, yet. Throwing your hands up and calling him crooked is just as bad as saying we should blindly support.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:So Bribary is a federal crime? Who was bribed in this case? An investment agent to book? For getting people to sign with az? And investment agent paying players family? Spell it out for me I'm slow on these matters.
Coaches were using financial advisors, agents, apparel companies to bribe players. They bribed coaches to push them to the advisors/apparel companies/agents. This was a huge competition in doing this by a lot of people/programs. They set up shell companies to make it happen.

How the money flowed:

coach requests funds ----> apparel company/agent/financial advisor sends $$$ to shell company ----> shell company makes purchase/deposit into an account of a family member or the recruit ----> player commits to program and gets directed to the apparel company/agent/financial advisor etc etc. ----> coaches get the "bribes" for doing this successfully and they get the commitment

This way fucking bigger than it is right now
Last edited by NYCat on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:19 am, edited 4 times in total.
threenumberones

97cats wrote:
zero chance
Jefe wrote::lol: No chance. Maybe a suspension but thats it
doubt a suspension

im hearing the FBI is saying the employers and the universities are the victims.
Not sure that matters. The NCAA will have its own investigation, and if there is room to question how the program is run, it's oversight, etc. That's where Sean could be in trouble.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

I doubt the NCAA allows the FBI/Universities to handle these violations. There's gotta be some sort of punishment whether its a suspension, loss of scholarships or post season bans. Hell, we might even impose a post season ban on ourselves to get out of the doghouse. Do we forfeit our P12 Tourney championship?

This is going to be the slowest week ever
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

Bosy Billups wrote:

Another one you never want to go to war with. First shot, "RUN!" while his team stays in battle to fight.

I'd never want to go to war with a delusional soldier who ignores culpability. Dream on.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

threenumberones wrote:
Not sure that matters. The NCAA will have its own investigation, and if there is room to question how the program is run, it's oversight, etc. That's where Sean could be in trouble.
maybe, but i am hearing the FBI is investigating this as an outside the university operation, and that these coaches collaborated with the scum for their own benefit, exploiting the players and universities for their own profit.

just something to consider.