Bribery Scandal - FBI Probe - Book Richardson Involved

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

scumdevils86

Re: Huge Bribery Scandal. Book Richardson Involved

Post by scumdevils86 »

Even if we don't have football or basketball teams to cheer for anymore i hope this board can survive in the post apocalyptic world.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Doubtful scum.

I like everyone here but without cats sports this board is dead.
prh

Post by prh »

I guess we'll need to finally promote baseball to a top level board.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

And to be clear, I am not saying this is no big deal. But other programs have weathered assistants doing illegal things. The NCAA is very much focused on connections to the institutional control. And if theit investigation fines Book acting rogue, it will be something we can ride out. If this involves either explicit or implied consent from McKale, we are fucked.

So let's see
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Awesome fucking news. Book has always been shady to me. Hindsight is 20/20, but the shit with ACE should have been a clear sign for Miller to part ways with Book. Arizona is going to have to self impose a scholarship reduction and take themselves out of the postseason for at least one year. Which is awesome, seeing how this season and next are shaping up for us. I HIGHLY doubt Miller was involved and had knowledge of this, and I hope that is the case. Book seems like a lone wolf who was always out to side hustle to fill his pockets.

We can't fuckin win here.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

SCCats wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:The FBI wiretapped conversations. There will be no ambiguity, it’s the FBI.
The Eye is involved?

Oh.
That could, again, be good or bad for us.

Good if it clearly shows He is on his own. Bad if it goes to McKale. But there won't be any of that "smoke = fire" B.S. if it is shown Book acted alone. There will be a definitive documentation.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Anyone have a rundown on the other schools that are implicated?

I agree with you on principal EV but the realsity is we are not duke, U.K., UNC, ucla.

The NCAA is putting on the brut, getting ready to go to the frat pool party, and Jones'in for some bone'in '80s style.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

rgdeuce wrote:Awesome fucking news. Book has always been shady to me. Hindsight is 20/20, but the shit with ACE should have been a clear sign for Miller to part ways with Book. Arizona is going to have to self impose a scholarship reduction and take themselves out of the postseason for at least one year. Which is awesome, seeing how this season and next are shaping up for us. I HIGHLY doubt Miller was involved and had knowledge of this, and I hope that is the case. Book seems like a lone wolf who was always out to side hustle to fill his pockets.

We can't fuckin win here.
I am on board with your line of thinking. I think it will be 2019 that gets boned...we will keep this in the process this year and thrn self-impose 2 or 3 scholies and a postseason ban in 2019 if there is player involvement.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Quinerly is the recruit whose mom was paid $15k. So he's gone.

The complaint further alleges that Book was making in roads with two handlers of two current Arizona players. One he felt was a lock and one he called a sheltered kid who didn't understand the game.

Sounds like Rawle and Ayton. Here's hoping they didn't know / do shit and we can keep them eligible.
NorCalCat

Post by NorCalCat »

I, for one, welcome our new Romar overlords.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Two Arizona assistants met regarding the bribery ring, Book and one other. Assuming that second assistant was Pasternack who likely escaped because he went to a no-name university with no first round picks.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

Louisville is in really bad shape here. Bowen definitely the big player there. This guy's feed has a lot of info.
Last edited by prh on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

"I can got to Arizona's practices like I'm on the team..." said the head of the bribery ring

"The coaches, that's the easiest thing, because I know them all - were friends." Again in reference to Arizona
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:Anyone have a rundown on the other schools that are implicated?

I agree with you on principal EV but the realsity is we are not duke, U.K., UNC, ucla.

The NCAA is putting on the brut, getting ready to go to the frat pool party, and Jones'in for some bone'in '80s style.
We aren't UNC, but we aren't Illinois St either. We are a big money maker, high profile program tied into major pre-cinference showcases for the next few years. Thry will be very careful not to crush a money making program at a school with struggling football revenue for a 1st time offense unless this runs in the veins of McKale.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Louisville...they are in big trouble. The NCAA needs a skin, thry have it there
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

The hypocrisy in all of this blows me away. Not condoning Book's actions or anyone else, but you'd be naive to think this hasn't been happening for decades. First and foremost, let's stop talking about the players and their families as victims. They're complicit. They shop schools through back channels. They all expect more than just a scholarship offer. It's been ingrained in the AAU system. To think that there are four crooked assistants and everyone else is pure as the driven snow is laughable.
Frankly, I don't really care if a player received money. It's been going on forever. And now the national debate is about playing athletes. The Black market has handled this for years. It's just a shame that Arizona could be punished when programs like Duke, UNC, Kansas all skate free is b.s.
Last edited by zonagrad on Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
prh

Post by prh »

YoDeFoe wrote:Quinerly is the recruit whose mom was paid $15k. So he's gone.

The complaint further alleges that Book was making in roads with two handlers of two current Arizona players. One he felt was a lock and one he called a sheltered kid who didn't understand the game.

Sounds like Rawle and Ayton. Here's hoping they didn't know / do shit and we can keep them eligible.
Where did you find that? Did you read through it? Just trying to read as much as I can
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basket ... 09416j01x1" target="_blank

"Person, Evans, Richardson and Bland are charged with bribery conspiracy, solitication of bribes, conspiracy to commit fraud and wire fraud.

In addition to taking bribe money for themselves, the government says Person, Richardson and Bland funneled cash to players or families of players as part of the scheme."

Difficult to not conclude that we are out of the tourney for several years and on probation at a minimum.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

prh wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:Quinerly is the recruit whose mom was paid $15k. So he's gone.

Where did you find that? Did you read through it? Just trying to read as much as I can
Yeah I read the criminal complaint. Section V, pg 36 - 52 is the meat of it.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

First...I don't think the words "FBI investigation" is good for anyone, period.

Second...the NCAA in 2013 stated that the HC is ultimately responsible for the staff in recruiting. No "I didn't know" defense.

Third...this shit is rampant. It's not Book going rogue.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

NorCalCat wrote:I, for one, welcome our new Romar overlords.
Lol. Me too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe wrote:Miller to the NBA is probably more of a reality then ever before.
Understanding that Miller hates the PAC-12, and possibly the NCAA, I don't think he will ever coach in the NBA.

Like Larry Brown said, the biggest difference in coaching the NBA v. coaching college ball is that in college, the players listen to you. Miller requires absolute buying into his system.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

Guys, we need to let the dust settle here. This story is likely to get much, much bigger. What are the chances that a shoe company was only targeting (or able to infiltrate) four schools (plus Louisville?). What are the chances that only Adidas was involved in these sort of shenanigans?

This is likely to cause probation of some sort and I agree that escaping any postseason ban seems unlikely. I think the plurality of the situation already works to our advantage and the more that this mushrooms into a huge apparel scandal the better it will be for Arizona in terms of escaping the harshest of punishments.

Still a very sad day for us all who would like to believe that we more or less do things the right way.
rgdeuce

Re: Bribery Scandal Involving Book Richardson

Post by rgdeuce »

pc in NM wrote:Count 10 - "...making and concealing bribe payments to current and prospective student athletes...." in 2016 through September 2017

Arizona basketball is over.
Read the language of Count 10. University 2, 3, 4, and 5 (one of them presumably Arizona) are the victims and were put in positions where they could be subject to NCAA sanctions (among other things). That is separating the school from the alleged acts of Book. The good news: Miller is not named in the complaint and he is therefore considered among the victims, thus far.

If Miller was involved, the FBI would know, so he is either 1) Not involved, or 2) involved but they did not have enough evidence to prosecute, or 3) involved or they stumbled upon another potentially illegal act by Miller himself and the investigation is ongoing.
threenumberones

Re: Bribery Scandal Involving Book Richardson

Post by threenumberones »

rgdeuce wrote:
pc in NM wrote:Count 10 - "...making and concealing bribe payments to current and prospective student athletes...." in 2016 through September 2017

Arizona basketball is over.
Read the language of Count 10. University 2, 3, 4, and 5 (one of them presumably Arizona) are the victims and were put in positions where they could be subject to NCAA sanctions (among other things). That is separating the school from the alleged acts of Book. The good news: Miller is not named in the complaint and he is therefore considered among the victims, thus far.

If Miller was involved, the FBI would know, so he is either 1) Not involved, or 2) involved but they did not have enough evidence to prosecute, or 3) involved or they stumbled upon another potentially illegal act by Miller himself and the investigation is ongoing.
This. FBI involvement is good as there should be no ambiguity. Our only chance at this point is that Book was going rogue (and that's not outside of his personality as we all know).
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

I'm so relieved that the FBI is spending money and resources on this scourge. I mean, those those hundreds of shootings in Chicago, political corruption, terrorism and all can wait. But let's get this shoe money in college basketball under control before our way of life collapses.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Except we got caught. Schools like Kansas Duke and U.K. dont.

For those in the know when do we likely hear from mckale on this?

Lol. No shit zona grad.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I'm sitting in my apartment. Called out of work & poured a double shot of tequila at 8am in the morning. Never regretted my rampant love for this program. This sucks so bad. Damn.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

1. DOJ to speak at noon est
2. Tomorrow is Arizona bb annual media day. Good times.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I'm sitting in my apartment. Called out of work & poured a double shot of tequila at 8am in the morning. Never regretted my rampant love for this program. This sucks so bad. Damn.
I should have done that but I read this right as I hit my office door.

This is a mental health sick day.
Macho Grande

Post by Macho Grande »

Miller just doesn't seem like the type to get involved in something like this. But as far as the NCAA is concerned, whatever happens falls on the head coach, so I'm not sure it matters much.
VegasCatFan

Post by VegasCatFan »

One of my co-workers husband works on an FBI task force and was wondering why the FBI cares so much about something like this when there's so much more important things they could be doing. Got no real answer for her. Is every school eventually going to get busted?
loomer

Post by loomer »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Here to it getting huger!

Bear down cats!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:First...I don't think the words "FBI investigation" is good for anyone, period.

Second...the NCAA in 2013 stated that the HC is ultimately responsible for the staff in recruiting. No "I didn't know" defense.

Third...this shit is rampant. It's not Book going rogue.
Your second point is incorrect. HCs may be held responsible for the violations of their assistants. "May" not "must."
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I'm sitting in my apartment. Called out of work & poured a double shot of tequila at 8am in the morning. Never regretted my rampant love for this program. This sucks so bad. Damn.
Found out late last night we didn't win an 8-figure account and now this. I hate everything.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

The immediate questions are:

1) Did Miller know
2) Are current UA players involved?

We may found out more when the DOJ holds their press conference at noon EST

If one or more members of our current roster are involved then good bye #1 ranking and any shot at a title/tourney.
SirClinks

Post by SirClinks »

Hey guys at least we have a great football program to lean on! Oh wait fuck.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Proof that if you root for the wildcats, you can't have anything nice! I am just moping around the office
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Grow grow grow get bigger bigger bigger!!!!
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Welp I always wondered if it was too good to be true. Miller wasn't a witch, but Book was a CROOK all along.
Hard to imagine that CSM will get away from a freaking FBI arrest of his top assistant (unless you're a true blue Miller humper)

Seems as though the upcoming year will at best be played under a huge cloud and then forfeited, at worst the roster will be gutted and we'll be doing a coaching search. I feel for Lute that he has to see this happen to the thing he built.

After 8 years of hype and no results I may be ready for Sean Miller to be over at Arizona anyway. The guy plays boring ass predictable brand of bball, consistently underperfoms, rarely takes responsibility

What a total fail - can't even get to the FF with 7 straight illegal top-5 classes. smh
Last edited by RiseAndFire on Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
SCCats

Post by SCCats »

Bilas just said something to this effect on ESPN: This *seems* to primarily be actions taken by some to benefit agents.

I just caught the tail end of it, but I'll try to find a video (segment just ended at 9:03 am)
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Jesus, just chicken scratch money.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

loomer wrote:

I knew the story would expand greatly but not this fast. Such is life in 2017 I suppose
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:
My only response to this is yeah....but what about Ricky Pitino and hookers?
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

We always have softball!
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
RaisingArizona

Post by RaisingArizona »

I would imagine the FBI is more interested from a fraudulent multi-national conglomerate angle rather than a CBB angle
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

It has been wildly speculated that Book was shady for many years now... and yet Miller chose to keep him around.

If Book is guilty, no one can deny that Miller was complicit.

This is truly a sad day. I am so disappointed and disgusted.