Fire Sean Miller!!!

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

CatFanOneMil

Re: Fire Sean Miller!!!

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Yeah this calling for Millers job is bullshit, show me a coach at his age who is available and willing to come to the desert who you think would be better.

Pony up or STFU...

Three games its an anomaly for this program...you can't even say that about 90% of the rest of the country.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:I would be fine keeping him or firing him. There is definitely better coaches out there and I don't think it is too hard to recruit here.
You. Are. Dreaming.

There may be SOME better coaches out there.. they don’t grow on trees and they are not lining up for this job.

Lute & Miller both demonstrates a coach can win big here IF they bust ass and do the right things - which is a HUGE advantage. Were it not for Lute, we would be a power 5 conference equivalent of New Mexico.

But thinking recruits will flock here because “We are Arizona” is delusional.
The worst thing I could do on this board--for a poster-- is endorse that poster. So a disclaimer: It's not SunnyAZ's fault I happen to agree with him.

Hence, I don't think one should 'dismiss' SunnyAZ'S thesis. Arizona could get a decent young coach and I think many would welcome coming into a sanctioned program--especially for the money and the weather, not to mention the tradition and fan base. Besides the first year (or two) will have less pressure if the program is under sanction.

I was struck by watching all three of the Bahamas' games, especially noticing the anonymity of the players AND the coaches of those teams. Teams that systematically clobbered our heralded players and 'well regarded' coach.

Whoever those coaches were, I noticed their players played with intent and purpose and, most importantly, cohesively.

I also agree with Mr. Specter. Hiring a coach would be tricky. A lot of good fortune might be necessary.

But everyone knows that. And the fact that hiring is hard is not reason enough to resist going there.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Relative to his peers he recruited quite effectively.

But you are right... recruiting to a mid major and to a school in a Power 5 conference is exactly the same.

Miller recruits better than Lute did.
You are right... recruiting at Arizona is the same as Stanford, LSU, ASU, Auburn, etc. etc.

Miller looks better because everyone leaves after one year. No chance Miller has had as much NBA talent on one team as Lute did on multiple teams.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:Yeah this calling for Millers job is bullshit, show me a coach at his age who is available and willing to come to the desert who you think would be better.

Pony up or STFU...

Three games its an anomaly for this program...you can't even say that about 90% of the rest of the country.
Bobby Hurley.

I don't think Miller gets fired, but we'd probably look for someone more established to replace him. Tony Bennett is a year younger than Miller and has impressed at Virginia. Gregg Marshall is a popular name. Mike Brey has done well at ND and brought them to back-to-back EEs recently. I like Mike White but he's unlikely to leave Florida right now.

Probably not worth discussing unless we miss the NCAA tournament. If Frank Martin and Dana Altman can make the FF, Miller can, too.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Different world now than in Lute's day. Very few one and dones. Brian Williams (transfer) was the first player Lute had that didn't use up all his eligibility. Sean Elliott stayed all 4 years. Lute was also restricted by NCAA rules after that which reduced the number of scholarships he was allowed to offer after players left early.

Miller is an exceptional recruiter though, no denying that.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Miller will become a better coach once the sanctions come. I think he has too much pride to let his team have a losing record. He will have to develop winning game plans with lesser talent. This should help once we reload.
baconus66

Post by baconus66 »

TatetheGreat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:Yeah this calling for Millers job is bullshit, show me a coach at his age who is available and willing to come to the desert who you think would be better.

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

I don't think Miller gets fired, but we'd probably look for someone more established to replace him. Tony Bennett is a year younger than Miller and has impressed at Virginia. Gregg Marshall is a popular name. Mike Brey has done well at ND and brought them to back-to-back EEs recently. I like Mike White but he's unlikely to leave Florida right now.

Probably not worth discussing unless we miss the NCAA tournament. If Frank Martin and Dana Altman can make the FF, Miller can, too.
Why the hell would Tony Bennett leave Virginia for Arizona? Same with Brey. And Marshall has been offered a ton of jobs
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

baconus66 wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

Why the hell would Tony Bennett leave Virginia for Arizona? Same with Brey. And Marshall has been offered a ton of jobs
A lot of coaches would pick up the phone if Arizona called. It's a better job than UVA, ND, and WSU. No idea if they want to leave, though.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

This post is so uninformed it is laughable. Why don't you take a good, long look at Tony Bennett and his career at Virginia compared to Sean Miller at Arizona. Miller has been a victim of his own success. In just his second season at Arizona, he took a rag-tag team with one 3-star recruit who was better than anyone expected and was a wide open missed jumper away from a Final Four. Miller then re-loaded with some impressive recruiting to reach the Sweet 16 two years later and it took a 3 pointer with two seconds left by Ohio State to eliminate Arizona. A year later, armed with arguably the best team in the country, Miller saw his star power-forward suffer a season ending foot injury the same night his team lost their first game of the season. Oh yeah, it happened to be in February. Think about it: Arizona was undefeated going into February after playing a hellacious schedule that included a beat down of Duke at MSG and knocking off defending national runner-up Michigan at Crisler Arena. After rolling to another Pac 12 regular season title, it took a horrendous call in OT for Wisconsin to knock off Arizona in the Elite 8.

A year later, after losing Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon early to the draft, Miller re-loaded and again reached the Elite 8 only to see Wisconsin have a once in a lifetime shooting performance where they made 10 of 12 threes in a half. Contested 3's. Hand in your face threes.

After losing Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson early to the draft, Miller and Arizona had a down year. And by down year at Arizona, Miller had his team still contending for the conference crown late in the year and reached the NCAA tournament where they were handed a ridiculous seeding in Providence, Rhode Island against a Wichita State team that somehow was seeded in a play in game.

And last year, despite losing his top returning scorer for more than half the season, Miller rolled out a starting lineup that included three freshmen. Somehow this crappy coach managed to roll to a 16-2 regular season Pac 12 record to tie Oregon, which by the way had the luxury of returning EVERY SINGLE PLAYER from the previous year, including two guys getting a SIXTH YEAR of eligibility. For cripes sake, one Oregon player was 25 years old!!! Yet Miller guided his team with three freshmen and captured the conference tournament title.

And what has Tony Bennett done in that time? He's re-built Virginia back into a respectable program. He even had Virginia in the Elite 8. One Elight Eight. One. Oh yeah, in that one appearance, Bennett's team choked away a 15 point lead with ten minutes to play against a Syracuse team that had no business getting past the second round of the tournament.

What if Miller's team had reached the Elite 8 and choked as hard as Bennett's Cavaliers? What would you say then? You'd fucking say that you wished you had a coach who somehow re-loaded every single year and always had his program in the national conversation. A coach that consistently turned talent into the NBA. You'd wish you had a coach like Sean Miller.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

This is the greatest fucking stupid thing I have read on the internet this entire year...everyone on the forum is dumber for you having posted this.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

This is the greatest fucking stupid thing I have read on the internet this entire year...everyone on the forum is dumber for you having posted this.
Take it easy. It's clearly satire. You must have struggled in lit classes.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

TatetheGreat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

it made me laugh.

it also made me laugh when CFOM didn't get it was a joke
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

zonagrad wrote:This post is so uninformed it is laughable. Why don't you take a good, long look at Tony Bennett and his career at Virginia compared to Sean Miller at Arizona. Miller has been a victim of his own success. In just his second season at Arizona, he took a rag-tag team with one 3-star recruit who was better than anyone expected and was a wide open missed jumper away from a Final Four. Miller then re-loaded with some impressive recruiting to reach the Sweet 16 two years later and it took a 3 pointer with two seconds left by Ohio State to eliminate Arizona. A year later, armed with arguably the best team in the country, Miller saw his star power-forward suffer a season ending foot injury the same night his team lost their first game of the season. Oh yeah, it happened to be in February. Think about it: Arizona was undefeated going into February after playing a hellacious schedule that included a beat down of Duke at MSG and knocking off defending national runner-up Michigan at Crisler Arena. After rolling to another Pac 12 regular season title, it took a horrendous call in OT for Wisconsin to knock off Arizona in the Elite 8.

A year later, after losing Nick Johnson and Aaron Gordon early to the draft, Miller re-loaded and again reached the Elite 8 only to see Wisconsin have a once in a lifetime shooting performance where they made 10 of 12 threes in a half. Contested 3's. Hand in your face threes.

After losing Ashley and Rondae Hollis-Jefferson early to the draft, Miller and Arizona had a down year. And by down year at Arizona, Miller had his team still contending for the conference crown late in the year and reached the NCAA tournament where they were handed a ridiculous seeding in Providence, Rhode Island against a Wichita State team that somehow was seeded in a play in game.

And last year, despite losing his top returning scorer for more than half the season, Miller rolled out a starting lineup that included three freshmen. Somehow this crappy coach managed to roll to a 16-2 regular season Pac 12 record to tie Oregon, which by the way had the luxury of returning EVERY SINGLE PLAYER from the previous year, including two guys getting a SIXTH YEAR of eligibility. For cripes sake, one Oregon player was 25 years old!!! Yet Miller guided his team with three freshmen and captured the conference tournament title.

And what has Tony Bennett done in that time? He's re-built Virginia back into a respectable program. He even had Virginia in the Elite 8. One Elight Eight. One. Oh yeah, in that one appearance, Bennett's team choked away a 15 point lead with ten minutes to play against a Syracuse team that had no business getting past the second round of the tournament.

What if Miller's team had reached the Elite 8 and choked as hard as Bennett's Cavaliers? What would you say then? You'd fucking say that you wished you had a coach who somehow re-loaded every single year and always had his program in the national conversation. A coach that consistently turned talent into the NBA. You'd wish you had a coach like Sean Miller.
It was an unpopular opinion when I said it before, but our best shot at a FF was in '11. Miller should have kept DWill driving to the basket rather than continuing to jack up threes. No one in that entire tournament could stop DWill. Our teams were better in '14 and '15 but Wisconsin was a bad draw. We might have won it all had BAsh not gone down in '14. But since then, Miller has been unable to find players to fit his "system" despite being able to recruit coast to coast. '16 was a first round exit, '17 was a S16 KO by a lesser opponent (out coached), and '18 is looking very shaky at the moment. '19 and '20 are also total enigmas due to possible sanctions.

It's unlikely we'd be able to hire someone like Lute with a FF already under his belt at this time. Marshall might be the one exception. The alternatives are guys who have succeeded at lesser programs. Bennett and Brey have won in the ACC. Both have made the EE without the kind of talent Miller has pulled in. Altman made the EE and FF with Arizona rejects. Only Ennis got a sixth year of eligibility. He transferred twice and missed an entire season due to injury. Boucher was a JUCO transfer but he played a total of four years of college basketball. Reminder: He got hurt in the PAC-12 tournament semifinals, right before we played Oregon in the championship game. We won by three points and likely would have lost if Boucher had played.

I understand the attachment to Miller but the guy has to start winning when it matters. There are serious deficiencies he needs to work out. It's a tough road ahead. We have challengers in the PAC-12 now and other programs are capitalizing off of the Book fiasco. This is the time for Miller to prove himself.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

it made me laugh.

it also made me laugh when CFOM didn't get it was a joke
Yeah, I mean come on. A Dukie for our next HC? No one on this board would seriously suggest that.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

TatetheGreat wrote:
CatFanOneMil wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:

Pony up or STFU...

Bobby Hurley.

Satire does not translate on webforums, surely they taught that in data analytics?

It's a compiler issue. Everything is running on javascript and should have been compiled...satire won't compile because of the null.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

CatFanOneMil wrote:
It's a compiler issue. Everything is running on javascript and should have been compiled.
So "the compiling problem" is why it only seems you are screaming, swearing and cursing the intelligence of all posters that see things differently than you do but in reality when you proffer: This is the greatest fucking stupid thing I have read on the internet this entire year...everyone on the forum is dumber for you having posted this; or, STFU; or, You are a fucking moron, you are actually providing key insight.

I would change your source code and browser and then try writing using only acronyms.

Try this: (http://labs.codecademy.com/" target="_blank)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

This thread is embarassing.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:This thread is embarassing.
And stupid.

The only scenario under which we fire Miller is if the ongoing internal investigation shows that he was complicit in the Book Richardson mess.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

I've come back from the dead to see this. Embarrassing doesn't begin to describe some of you or it. Holy Shit, sometimes U of A fans can be unrelentingly retarded.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

My grandmother once forgot the term “lube job” and asked the mechanic to grease her bottom.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

My mother in law once almost died in a fit of laughter when she overheard me using the euphemism trouser snake.
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Merkin wrote:Different world now than in Lute's day. Very few one and dones. Brian Williams (transfer) was the first player Lute had that didn't use up all his eligibility. Sean Elliott stayed all 4 years. Lute was also restricted by NCAA rules after that which reduced the number of scholarships he was allowed to offer after players left early.

Miller is an exceptional recruiter though, no denying that.
Miller with Arizona resources is an exceptional recruiter. Most schools don’t put the resources (on or off the books) into college basketball that Arizona does.

I wanted Jay Wright over Sean. While that is no longer a possibility, I wouldn’t at all be upset to see us move on.

It’s sort of like my views on Juergen Klinsmann. You may or may not be able to find a better coach but you’re paying top of the market for mediocrity and arrogance so you need to make a change.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I once told my mom, "don't have an orgasm". I was 12ish. She was an anatomy professor. She said, I'm not sure you know what you are saying. It is quite disturbing to have your mom very professionally describe something like that.
A few years later she erased a floppy disk and said " whoops, looks like I pulled a boner" she thought a boner was like a boneheaded mistake, I was dying laughing. So I told her, I'm not sure you know what you're saying.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:I once told my mom, "don't have an orgasm". I was 12ish. She was an anatomy professor. She said, I'm not sure you know what you are saying. It is quite disturbing to have your mom very professionally describe something like that.
A few years later she erased a floppy disk and said " whoops, looks like I pulled a boner" she thought a boner was like a boneheaded mistake, I was dying laughing. So I told her, I'm not sure you know what you're saying.
:lol: :P Too funny! I needed a morning laugh. (after last week)
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

TatetheGreat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:I am so tired of the fickle fans. Win or lose, I will always support the team. The start of this season kind of reminds me of the 2000-2001 season, where the Cats lost 4 non-conference games. That team didn't do so bad. Young players and waiting for Rawlie to come back, the Cats will be much better by February.
We're all diehard Cats fans, so spare me. It's not fickle to question Miller in year nine. In fact, there's been almost no criticism of Miller until this point. The FBI investigation should bother you, and given what we just saw in the Bahamas, you should reconsider your dedication to SM.

It's not like we lost three buzzer beaters. We got shellacked and out coached every game. The youth improving and Rawle returning will help us but comparing this team to one that made the NC game under a HOF coach seems a little ridiculous.

I will be happy to eat crow if Miller turns everything around. But he needs to prove he's more than just a great recruiter.
What are we questioning? Considering the MASSIVE turnover we have pretty much every season, this is the first time something like this has happened. The 2011-2012 season was a disaster, but lets not forget we still won 23 games that year despite the fact we lost arguably the best player in CBB (Derrick Williams) and we largely led by leftovers from the Lute era and a patchwork team in Miller's third year. We could talk about 2015-2016's team, a team that lost Ashley, Rondae, Stanley, and TJ. That team needed all the luck in the world and overtime to beat a poo poo Santa Clara team and then lost a close one to Providence (w Dunn). After the providence loss though, the team won 8 in a row, including a win at Gonzaga, and finished 25-9. Hell, last year should have been a disaster with the injuries and Trier's suspension, yet Miller comes out smelling like a rose and really should have won Naismith Coach of the Year.

So please, tell me this is a pattern...
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Yes rgduece is right, history is on our side, no one seems to recall RHJ playing at UNLV like he had a hangover and us getting our first loss of the season to an subpar team

"“For a team to score 70 on us, it’s embarrassing for our coach — he doesn’t like that — he takes pride in defense; that’s the main thing he talks about,” Hollis-Jefferson said. “In practice, it was pretty tough for us. ‘Close out!’ all that extra stuff, we had to do it and some; so, it felt good to go out there and play good defense.”"

RHJ would later become known for defense...but lets not forget he LEARNED it from Miller
cpt

Post by cpt »

Harvey Specter wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:I would be fine keeping him or firing him. There is definitely better coaches out there and I don't think it is too hard to recruit here.
You. Are. Dreaming.

There may be SOME better coaches out there.. they don’t grow on trees and they are not lining up for this job.

Lute & Miller both demonstrates a coach can win big here IF they bust ass and do the right things - which is a HUGE advantage. Were it not for Lute, we would be a power 5 conference equivalent of New Mexico.

yes because Sean Miller was dominating recruiting at Xavier

No he doesn't. 1988, 1994, 1997, 2001 Final Fours and the 1997 National Championship. The proof is in the pudding.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

cpt wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
SunnyAZ wrote:
Harvey Specter wrote:
You. Are. Dreaming.

yes because Sean Miller was dominating recruiting at Xavier

No he doesn't. 1988, 1994, 1997, 2001 Final Fours and the 1997 National Championship. The proof is in the pudding.
He (Miller) recruits better on a star rankings per scout 247 rivals and espn

But in terms of NBA draft picks and success that means anything to anyone, he does not.

Great, Miller can recruit better than Lute but gets less out of his guys than Lute did. Not a good endorsement. Just get to the final four Miller. You have everything you need except potentially a clear head and message. No more excuses.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Wow...

"Potentially a clear head and message"

:lol: curious what's in RR's clear head and his message. So clear he 3 and outed the end of half and lost the game.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

PHXCATS wrote:
He (Miller) recruits better on a star rankings per scout 247 rivals and espn

But in terms of NBA draft picks and success that means anything to anyone, he does not.

Great, Miller can recruit better than Lute but gets less out of his guys than Lute did. Not a good endorsement. Just get to the final four Miller. You have everything you need except potentially a clear head and message. No more excuses.
Completely different eras, on multiple fronts. Even if the answer was "Lute wins," we have to realize Lute was a special coach and there aren't many Lutes (or Millers) out there and there is no guarantee any of them would take the Arizona job if it became available. We can argue about player development and all that til we are blue in the face, but for most of Lute's career, he had these guys for four years. He had four years to develop a Miles Simon, Damon Stoudamire, Khalid Reeves, etc. How many bigtime talented kids has Miller had for even three? Outside of Zeus, our four-year guys have been the Gabe Yorks, the Ristics, the PJCs. Most of our best talent is gone right when what Miller was preaching was starting to fully sink in. I don't think the difference between them is that stark to be honest.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Arizona basketball: Miller says it was "on me" that Wildcats weren't more ready in Bahamas

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Nov 28, 2017 Updated 11 min ago

Expressing concern but not panic, UA coach Sean Miller took blame for the Wildcats’ anemic performance in the Battle 4 Atlantis last week and vowed to fix it.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e-latest-1" target="_blank
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

HiCat wrote:Arizona basketball: Miller says it was "on me" that Wildcats weren't more ready in Bahamas

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Nov 28, 2017 Updated 11 min ago

Expressing concern but not panic, UA coach Sean Miller took blame for the Wildcats’ anemic performance in the Battle 4 Atlantis last week and vowed to fix it.

http://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildcat ... e-latest-1" target="_blank
Actions speak louder than words.

Let's see how this plays out.