I'm confused and pessimistic

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: I'm confused and pessimistic

Post by Olsondogg »

Overthiking or in other words, not thinking.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Dusan had the hot hand, I had no issue with the shot but I get why Miller did. But honestly, I think his reaction to it especially after it went in was a bad look and I think it hurts future recruiting. Do guys want to play for a coach who acts that way when you make a vitally important shot in a tight game when you know you are feeling it?

I am sure some will take this as me hating on Miller. I dont hate him. I just dont like the way he has acted the last two Saturdays but I dont hate him. I have seen him make some adjustments this year which I really like. I feel like he is doing a pretty good job this year all things considered.
Lol hurts future recruiting. He told a senior to stfu MFer clear as day after the senior told him to calm down. Yeah that didny hurt recruiting one bit and neither would this. I mean if you're truly concerned with recruiting a FBI investigation is much more of a concern.
The FBI thing is way bigger, no denying that. Personally I think it is a bad look and I dont see it sitting well with recruits that their coach is acting like that after the ball goes in. But maybe it isn't and I am overthinking it. And maybe I am overthinking it because of how Miller crossed the line last week vs Stanford. But yes the FBI thing is the biggest issue to future classes.
The ball going in does not define whether it's a good or bad shot. If PJC pulls from the opposite ft line with 28 seconds on the shot clock, it's a terrible shot. If it goes in, it's still terrible.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:Dusan had the hot hand, I had no issue with the shot but I get why Miller did. But honestly, I think his reaction to it especially after it went in was a bad look and I think it hurts future recruiting. Do guys want to play for a coach who acts that way when you make a vitally important shot in a tight game when you know you are feeling it?

I am sure some will take this as me hating on Miller. I dont hate him. I just dont like the way he has acted the last two Saturdays but I dont hate him. I have seen him make some adjustments this year which I really like. I feel like he is doing a pretty good job this year all things considered.
Lol hurts future recruiting. He told a senior to stfu MFer clear as day after the senior told him to calm down. Yeah that didny hurt recruiting one bit and neither would this. I mean if you're truly concerned with recruiting a FBI investigation is much more of a concern.
The FBI thing is way bigger, no denying that. Personally I think it is a bad look and I dont see it sitting well with recruits that their coach is acting like that after the ball goes in. But maybe it isn't and I am overthinking it. And maybe I am overthinking it because of how Miller crossed the line last week vs Stanford. But yes the FBI thing is the biggest issue to future classes.
The ball going in does not define whether it's a good or bad shot. If PJC pulls from the opposite ft line with 28 seconds on the shot clock, it's a terrible shot. If it goes in, it's still terrible.
The reaction to the shot before it goes in or bounces off the rim is fine by Miller to me. The reaction of his after the ball went is is the issue for me.

I had no issue since Dusan was feeling it and was the best player at least on offense in the game. But I get why it wasnt what Miller wanted and I have no issue with him being upset about the play.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

PHXCATS wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

The reaction to the shot before it goes in or bounces off the rim is fine by Miller to me. The reaction of his after the ball went is is the issue for me.

I had no issue since Dusan was feeling it and was the best player at least on offense in the game. But I get why it wasnt what Miller wanted and I have no issue with him being upset about the play.
That's the point of my post, that whether a shot goes in or not doesn't impact if it is a good shot or not. Bad shots fall, good shots miss. You maximize your effectiveness by taking good shots because they are the most likely to benefit and go in.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm gassy yet phlegmatic.

TMI
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

That's the point of my post, that whether a shot goes in or not doesn't impact if it is a good shot or not. Bad shots fall, good shots miss. You maximize your effectiveness by taking good shots because they are the most likely to benefit and go in.
I don't think anyone can declaratively call Dusan's shot as a "bad shot." First, the shot was a designed play, just not a SM designed play. Indeed, it was a play coming from a fluid, Lute style, offense that most of us here pine for. PJC should get as much credit as Dusan. It's worthy noting PJC was away from the Arizona bench where SM couldn't shout at him like he does all game long, every game.

In any event, PJC caught Dusan's eye and Dusan curled to a spot where no one expected him to shot. Dusan wanted the ball, got it in a timely manner, and shot in rhythm. Often balls shot in rhythm go in. Bingo. PJC gets the dime, and Dusan's shot provides the margin for victory.

That's a good shot in my book.

I'd like to see more such "bad shots" in Sean Miller's offense. I know SM's defense is call a packline. I don't think his offense has a name.

IMO, the offense with 'no name' is the best explaanation I can provide to the OP's query.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

You are clueless. The play was called to have a 7 foot Dusan at the top of the key to throw over the top to a 7 foot Ayton, who had his man pinned for an easy layup/dunk. Watch again and you will see why Miller was pissed. I would much rather have the ball go to the block than to have Dusan shooting a contested 3 with 17 seconds left on the shot clock. With that said, I’m glad it went in and happy for Dusan. He deserves it. Bear Down
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

PHXCATS wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

I know it looks like I am trolling you, but I cannot believe some of your takes.

If you have kids, lead people, or even have read any books on sports psychology... you would understand that you deliver praise or critical feedback on things that the individual for whom you are responsible can control.

Those things are effort, decision making, work ethic, etc. Not whether or not the ball goes in.

In fact, it could be argued that you should harp on the player MORE when it goes in... because the positive result will lure him/ her into making the same bad decision again - which you do not want.

And this is not just happy talk... it is because your goal is TO WIN. Winning / Losing depends on many variables, some which you can control... and several that you cannot. But you know that IF you consistently do the right things (that you do have control over) ... over time, you will maximize your chances at winning.

Read ANYTHING by John Wooden or Bob Rotella.

Miller has been very consistent on this, and it is the RIGHT approach. Think back to one of our WI E8 losses where players played well and got torched by a shooter who could not miss from 3 with a hand in his face. Heartbroken, yes - but he was not pissed at them at all.

As for recruiting... if Miller was an asshole to players, the recruiting well would have dried up by now the way it did with Howland. Is he hard on them and vitriolic at times? Yep... but he can do that because A) He holds himself to the same standards as he does them and B) They know he cares about them.

Having a boss who is a pushover sounds great until you have one who is and you need them on your side in a fight. Players may need to put up with some admonishing, but they got a coach they know will have their back and fight tenaciously on their behalf when called for .
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:You are clueless. The play was called to have a 7 foot Dusan at the top of the key to throw over the top to a 7 foot Ayton, who had his man pinned for an easy layup/dunk. Watch again and you will see why Miller was pissed. I would much rather have the ball go to the block than to have Dusan shooting a contested 3 with 17 seconds left on the shot clock. With that said, I’m glad it went in and happy for Dusan. He deserves it. Bear Down
Baloney. Ayton didn't have his man "pinned." Ayton had some positioning but he had a man strongly fronting him. I've seen many such passes fail as overhead passes have to be accurate and are the cause of many turnovers.

If that was "the play" Miller called then Dusan either didn't know about the call, disobeyed the call, or had the option to shoot if, in his estimation, Ayton did NOT have his man "pinned" as you suggest.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:I'm confused and pessimistic
They have pills for that.
Therapy
I keep my gametime Pez Dispenser loaded with Xanex...

.. and. I'm a licensed therapist.

However, being a sports fan appears to be a chronic and, unfortunately, untreatable condition.
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hank of sb wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:You are clueless. The play was called to have a 7 foot Dusan at the top of the key to throw over the top to a 7 foot Ayton, who had his man pinned for an easy layup/dunk. Watch again and you will see why Miller was pissed. I would much rather have the ball go to the block than to have Dusan shooting a contested 3 with 17 seconds left on the shot clock. With that said, I’m glad it went in and happy for Dusan. He deserves it. Bear Down
Baloney. Ayton didn't have his man "pinned." Ayton had some positioning but he had a man strongly fronting him. I've seen many such passes fail as overhead passes have to be accurate and are the cause of many turnovers.

If that was "the play" Miller called then Dusan either didn't know about the call, disobeyed the call, or had the option to shoot if, in his estimation, Ayton did NOT have his man "pinned" as you suggest.

Um...
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

pc in NM wrote:
MrMeow wrote:
Chicat wrote:
pc in NM wrote:I'm confused and pessimistic
They have pills for that.
Therapy
I keep my gametime Pez Dispenser loaded with Xanex...

.. and. I'm a licensed therapist.

However, being a sports fan appears to be a chronic and, unfortunately, untreatable condition.
I don't think "normal people" have any idea how afflicted we are.
Hank of sb

Post by Hank of sb »

Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Um...
Um....nothing.

You froze the picture when the shot was already in the air. The picture shows Ayton sealing off for a rebound. There was no chance of entry pass as Ayton was fronted. Granted, a overhead lob might have worked as long as the pass was accurate, but Arizona turnovers all year long have come from such ORDERS to get Ayton the ball.

Either no play was called, or Ristic had an option that Miller didn't like as the right decision.

I'm in the camp that Miller's reaction was "over the top."

I wish SM wouldf sit down with his other coaches.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

This place is my sanitarium to keep my disease from reaching my loved ones IRL.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Um...
Um....nothing.

You froze the picture when the shot was already in the air. The picture shows Ayton sealing off for a rebound. There was no chance of entry pass as Ayton was fronted. Granted, a overhead lob might have worked as long as the pass was accurate, but Arizona turnovers all year long have come from such ORDERS to get Ayton the ball.

Either no play was called, or Ristic had an option that Miller didn't like as the right decision.

LOL, you need me to screen shot the play before when Ayton was fronting him the other way? Or better yet, the white dude on Tah had Ayton pinned.

You are an idiot.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Here he is asking for the ball...right after Ristic gets the pass...
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Um...
Um....nothing.

You are either blind (unlikely)... talk out your ass (undoubtedly)... or are as dumb as a rock.

The ball has not yet left Dusan's hands in this one; in fact, he has not yet even started his shooting motion.

STFU and go back to your UCLA boards. Being an asshole is not a crime, nor is being stupid, but the combination makes you unwelcome in most places.
Last edited by Harvey Specter on Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It comes down to what the definition of what "pinned" is. Or what is is.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Go away Henry.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

What's great about this is the fact that play is run a few times every game, even when Ayton is double or triple teamed...
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Are you sure Miller's secret plan isn't more secondary break threes from Dusan?

It would definitely catch the opposition by surprise. That shot Dusan took, that might have been ok for Lauri. Maybe, and he's the best shooting big guy in the history of the program.

There's a 0% chance the play was designed to lead to the shot by Dusan. I can't believe people are actually half serious with that. Next up, going 1-4 so Dusan can hit people with the Killer Crossover and break some ankles.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Olsondogg wrote:What's great about this is the fact that play is run a few times every game, even when Ayton is double or triple teamed...
This is basically a variant of the old Kansas secondary break. I learned it in HS.

https://www.jes-basketball.com/playbook/plakansas.html" target="_blank

The shot comes on the swing to the trailing 4 in the diagrams listed. We don't always run the back screen to Dusan, but it's the exact setup and it is a setup designed for early post offense.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:What's great about this is the fact that play is run a few times every game, even when Ayton is double or triple teamed...
This is basically a variant of the old Kansas secondary break. I learned it in HS.

https://www.jes-basketball.com/playbook/plakansas.html" target="_blank

The shot comes on the swing to the trailing 4 in the diagrams listed. We don't always run the back screen to Dusan, but it's the exact setup and it is a setup designed for early post offense.
The difference with Ayton is, providing the pass is high enough, it doesn't matter if he has 2 or 3 or the whole damn bench on him. Just throw the lob in the right spot...which is why you can see Miller in exasperation even before Ristic decides to shoot it.

Good things happen when Ayton touches the ball. That should be the first and last thing he says to the team in every possession.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Um...
Um....nothing.

Miller called multiple sets for Ayton down the stretch, many of which resulted in other guys taking a shots without even getting Ayton a touch (such as the Dusan three you are discussing). This exact set is a horns dive ISO for Ayton. That is a fact. We run it all the time, including multiple times in that game.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's a 0% chance the play was designed to lead to the shot by Dusan.
Yup, see my above post.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

TucsonClip wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
There's a 0% chance the play was designed to lead to the shot by Dusan.
Yup, see my above post.

There is a 0% chance that any play is designed to lead to a three by Dusan.

Look at Miller's post game quote that was basically his bigs were 4 for 4 from three in that game and he hopes they are a perfect 0 for 0 going forward.

Having Ristic, or Ayton for that matter, on the arc bombing threes is not a recipe for success of any kind.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Hank of sb wrote:

Go back and watch as I have like 10 times since hearing that.

There was no one between Ayton and a dunk.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I can't believe there are people who honestly think that play was for Dusan to shoot a 3. It must be from the same page of the playbook that has our postup sets for PJC.

I'd propose the following: any time you see Ayton in the post and 4 out, the play is designed to end with Ayton getting the ball.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

For the confused and pessimistic, think of it this way: If WSU could somehow make it to the national title game and last night were it, today Arizona would be the national champions.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Longhorned wrote:For the confused and pessimistic, think of it this way: If WSU could somehow make it to the national title game and last night were it, today Arizona would be the national champions.
We'd have lost in the Elite Eight to Colorado.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Dude fronting has zero chance on a 7' to 7' lob. That is the definition of pinned
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

Harvey Specter wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:
Hank of sb wrote:

Um...
Um....nothing.

You are either blind (unlikely)... talk out your ass (undoubtedly)... or are as dumb as a rock.

The ball has not yet left Dusan's hands in this one; in fact, he has not yet even started his shooting motion.

STFU and go back to your UCLA boards. Being an asshole is not a crime, nor is being stupid, but the combination makes you unwelcome in most places.
Hey Hank the db, I am waiting for your response to the photo above...
ALASKACAT

Post by ALASKACAT »

;) Come on people...That was an over thrown lob pass to Ayton which just happened to fall into the basket for a 3 pointer. Intent was good...not so much the execution.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:Dude fronting has zero chance on a 7' to 7' lob. That is the definition of pinned
You shouldn't be fronting on Ayton.