South Region: #4 Seed

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

U.P. Zona Fan

Re: South Region: #4 Seed

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

SCCats wrote:
Catintheheat wrote:
prh wrote:
I thought Kentucky had smart fans....most of those posts sound like the stereotypical SEC knuckleheads.
This is my perception. They really don't know much about Arizona, or probably west coast basketball in general.
Well in an effort at transparency, I don’t really follow fringe top 25 teams so I don’t know much about them either...
That was fun!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

I don't think Kentucky is getting past Davidson.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:At this point, fuck it.

You have to beat good teams to get to the final 4 and win the championship. If this team can't beat Buffalo, Kentucky, Virginia, cincy/Tenn, then don't even get on the plane.

BTFD! I want Virginia, just disappointed it may happen in the S16.
Could've had an easier draw, but there are some positives. Get down to the bacon early vs Kentucky: no fucking around. Hit another packline team in Virginia. Enter the situation to advance to new territory in the Miller era with a victory over Virginia at our backs.
That where I’m at. We’ll be playing sweet sixteen and EE games, just a bit ahead of schedule then we are used to.

Sure we got screwed but overall I like what WE are bringing to the table. We are the team that other top teams are saying “shit why is arizona in our bracket”.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

After really studying the bracket and each of the regions, I'm pretty comfortable with our draw. Even though Kentucky and Virginia were both on my list of "do not wants".

Buffalo can score but has poor defense. I like Arizona in this matchup.

Kentucky is a terrible #5 draw, but we are a matchup nightmare for them. Just gotta hope they don't have a 3 point shooter or two get hot. Also, Davison can't be ignored. Overall, I feel good about Arizona getting past this round.

A month ago I would not have felt we had a chance against Virginia, but this is a different team. If anyone knows the weaknesses of Virginia's defense it'll be Miller. Arizona has better athletes and offensive firepower. I think Arizona wins this.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Phylek wrote:After really studying the bracket and each of the regions, I'm pretty comfortable with our draw. Even though Kentucky and Virginia were both on my list of "do not wants".

Kentucky is a terrible #5 draw, but we are a matchup nightmare for them. Just gotta hope they don't have a 3 point shooter or two get hot. Also, Davison can't be ignored. Overall, I feel good about Arizona getting past this round.

A month ago I would not have felt we had a chance against Virginia, but this is a different team. If anyone knows the weaknesses of Virginia's defense it'll be Miller. Arizona has better athletes and offensive firepower. I think Arizona wins this.
I agree with Virginia being a favorable 1 seed. I think it will be difficult for them to keep ristic and Ayton from scoring, I am also more concerned about a team that could boat race us and pjc is playing at a different level lately. I hope to see that game. Think it will be as exciting as any game this year. If you are into that sort of thing.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Siempre Verde

Post by Siempre Verde »

UAEebs86 wrote:

When did we lose to Houston?
9/9/17

;)
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Phylek wrote:After really studying the bracket and each of the regions, I'm pretty comfortable with our draw. Even though Kentucky and Virginia were both on my list of "do not wants".

This all rings true. And since Arizona fans are so obsessed with a Final Four and won’t settle for less, why would it matter if they go out in the second round instead of losing to a team of Kentucky’s caliber in the Elite Eight?

Just ride Ayton’s back as far as you can go. Arizona just needs to defend the perimeter like they’ve shown they can. Short of foul trouble, we already know Ayton will lead Arizona to win the rebounding battle against any team in the tourney, and with solid D, there’s your victory.

I wonder if Virginia’s defense translates to an unfamiliar opponent. That’s often the problem with D-reliant teams in the tourney, including Miller’s teams when they don’t have an unstoppable force on offense.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

OSUCat wrote:I don't think Kentucky is getting past Davidson.
That's crazy talk. UK looked very good this past week and present all kinds of match-up problems for Davidson. I think Kentucky wins that one by 10+.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Beachcat97 wrote:
That's crazy talk. UK looked very good this past week and present all kinds of match-up problems for Davidson. I think Kentucky wins that one by 10+.
What part of crazy talk isn’t suited to March Madness?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
What part of crazy talk isn’t suited to March Madness?
Totally. I just don't think UK loses that one. We'll see.

I'm expecting a rematch of the '97 title game on Saturday.
OSUCat

Post by OSUCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Vegas has it 5.5 And Davidson is 18th in AD-O. This looks like a classic upset to me.
Formerly Lynx Rufus.
WildHolcs

Post by WildHolcs »

Personally I fear Virginia much more than 'tucky because of the experience and consistency. But who the f cares? Lets just go out and beat em' all. If there was ever a time to have a chip, to be like f the world, the time is now. All I gotta say is play f'ing mad guys. And bear the f down.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Agree with LH in that it’s final4 or bust so fuck it, bring on KY and UVA right away (if it goes chalk, which I’m not positive it will). Let’s remember Ke tucky looked like ass most of the year, then they beat UGA BAMA and Tenn in a close one. None of those teams are that great, I’m expecting the SEC to not show well in the tourney. But I guess some people could say the same for AZ beating Rado and the LA schools to win P12.

A possible AZ-UVA matchup S16 could’ve easily been the title game. This will be THE heavyweight S16 matchup of the weekend. Think about how epic it’ll be watching Ayton pipe all over UVA.

Bottom line, the road was always going to be tough and the Cats are playing damn good ball. WE GOT THIS.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Preach Pokinmik!
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I think we can take UVA.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

KY will be a battle for sure. But the UVA board I was reading had a decent amount of people saying the PAC is TRASH and AZ beat nobody out of conference and our D sucks. They were disrespecting akentucky just as much too. I think there was one guy who mentioned how AZ is finally a full team intact and playing better D lately but he was ignored. UVA has let their good season run go to their heads a little too much I think.

Like we covered in the “adjD” thread, our team is playing so much better now than at any point this season. Just trending up, as most Miller teams do at this time. I hope they keep underestimating us! Will make it that much sweeter.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

azgreg wrote:Buffalo's thread.

http://www.ubfan.com/board/index.php/topic,17105.0.html" target="_blank
A little irritating to see the vacating wins at the end.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Just please don’t overlook buffalo. That would be a disaster. I really want to see cats be cats. It’s like a PlayStation matchup with your buddies (im gonna be 87 lakers ; ok fine I’m gonna be 92 bulls)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

CalStateTempe wrote:Just please don’t overlook buffalo. That would be a disaster. I really want to see cats be cats. It’s like a PlayStation matchup with your buddies (im gonna be 87 lakers ; ok fine I’m gonna be 92 bulls)
I'm nervous every game. We have ticked upwards lately, but not so much I'll take anything for granted.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

dmjcat wrote:I would recommend that nobody get their hopes up.........like the board did yesterday with 95% of the posters predicting a 3 seed.

I have a bad feeling that we are going to get the short end of the officiating........am I the only one who thinks that there are going to be officials that look at Ayton and see $100,000?? I would not be shocked if he got bounced out of an early game with a rash of ticky-tack fouls.
They fucked us with Trier, they fucked us with the seeding and they will fuck us with the officiating. And you are right, they will do their best to get Ayton two quick fouls in the first half.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Re: Buffalo

Miller never went small to try to beat ASU. His game plan will be the same for Buffalo. Ayton will be running all over the court to defend the perimeter. We know he can do that.

I haven't watched Buffalo, but I can't imagine they won't try to shore up their defensive disadvantage by pressuring in the back court. The only time Arizona was in trouble against ASU was when PJC had to sit due to foul trouble. Hopefully that doesn't happen again, because I'd hate to rely on Trier to get across half court, and I don't want Rawle anywhere near the ball in the back court.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

138th best defense on Kenpom. Three guys 6'10" or bigger on their roster and they average a total of about 30 combined minutes per game. Our bigs make their free throws. They rank 21st in both 3pt fg and 3pt attempts = Chuckers. As long as we don't chuck with them, we will be good.
Phylek

Post by Phylek »

Their 6' 177 pound point guard is their best player, but I'm thrilled at the size matchup for PJC.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Phylek wrote:Their 6' 177 pound point guard is their best player, but I'm thrilled at the size matchup for PJC.
Yep, especially after PJC had to face Wright, Holliday and McGlaughlin on 3 consecutive nights and more than held his own.

Praying that he keeps it up - we are just so much better when he plays well.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The buffalo fans on their board seem real dejected facing our cats (as they should haha)

I’m definitely gonna have my asshole puckered until we can hopefully pull away from Buffalo. Looking ahead to possible KY and possible UVA matchup is fun, and if we can’t beat Buffalo then fuck us anyway.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

For everyone complaining about our draw...can you just imagine how pissed Kentucky and especially Virginia are. Virginia got straight f*cked having to play either us or Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

No one is stopping Ayton. I think we roll to the Final Four. Ayton is just too difficult a match up for anyone in the country right now. A pissed off and motivated athletic 7'1 guy who can drain the mid range jumper is deadly in March. Only chance a team has is if they get lucky and the Refs job us and give Ayton quick fouls. Literally only way I see us losing before the Final Four. That or Trier tries to play Hero ball but I think Miller has solved that.

Also fcuk the NCAA.
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Yeah, it pretty much comes down to "upsets happen", but since that applies to everybody in the first round but 1-seeds, there's no point in crying over getting the strongest 13-seed in the tourney.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Newportcat wrote:For everyone complaining about our draw...can you just imagine how pissed Kentucky and especially Virginia are. Virginia got straight f*cked having to play either us or Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

No one is stopping Ayton. I think we roll to the Final Four. Ayton is just too difficult a match up for anyone in the country right now. A pissed off and motivated athletic 7'1 guy who can drain the mid range jumper is deadly in March. Only chance a team has is if they get lucky and the Refs job us and give Ayton quick fouls. Literally only way I see us losing before the Final Four. That or Trier tries to play Hero ball but I think Miller has solved that.

Also fcuk the NCAA.
My only complaint is: Why didn't the committee honor Virginia's accomplishments instead of dicking them over with Arizona as their region's 4-seed?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:138th best defense on Kenpom. Three guys 6'10" or bigger on their roster and they average a total of about 30 combined minutes per game. Our bigs make their free throws. They rank 21st in both 3pt fg and 3pt attempts = Chuckers. As long as we don't chuck with them, we will be good.
I think the Buffalo board is right. They have to hit a lot of threes to beat us. If we defend the 3 well, our offense will do the work for us. I doubt they can beat us without lighting it up from long range. A big part of our defensive turnaround has been guarding the 3 well. If that continues, we should be fine.

I'd say they don't have a matchup for Ayton, but only Texas has a matchup for Ayton.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Longhorned wrote:
Newportcat wrote:For everyone complaining about our draw...can you just imagine how pissed Kentucky and especially Virginia are. Virginia got straight f*cked having to play either us or Kentucky in the Sweet 16.

Also fcuk the NCAA.
My only complaint is: Why didn't the committee honor Virginia's accomplishments instead of dicking them over with Arizona as their region's 4-seed?
Yep UVA has a legitimate beef after their great regular season.

The committee and whoever else can judge our body of work, no exceptions, and they may be right that our resume as is warranted a 4. But cut the shit, AZ is unique in that 1.) we have the most dominant player in the country and the #1 overall pick and 2.) we have been dominant when the team is fully healthy and coached by Miller and 3.) vegas recognizes this obviously and we are one of the small handful of teams favored to win the whole damn thing because of point 1. and 2. above. Hence the committee really screwed UVA by being so black and white about it. There should’ve been some grey area to have more respect thrown our way.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

Put me in the, "I just can't wait for Thursday" camp. I know Salim's Headband & LH have said it the loudest but I agree with them, it doesn't matter. Maybe we'll catch a break & win AND meet up with some upsets. Or maybe we'll have to go the hardest route. Just bring me Thursday & LFG. Bear Down Cats. My favorite time of year!
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lol yup LH and Newport.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm not at all thrilled with our Kentucky match-up. On paper, I'd rather play UVA than UK.

A line-up of 6'6" / 6'5" / 6'7" / 6'9" / 6'11" - all athletes and long - is not ideal for us when we lack anyone of measure between 6'5" and 7'0".

I have no idea what we plan to do about SGA, their 6'6" PG (with a fucking seven foot wingspan) who is hitting on all cylinders right now. No clue who we put on Kevin Knox (6'9" with a 7ft wingspan).

I know we've got guys too but goddamn... this is a match-up nightmare, probably for both teams.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

It’s gonna be a hell of a game. I’d make the drive if it wasn’t my 11.5mo olds 1 year birthday and birthday party. Lol

Wife, parents, inlaws, close friends and family making this trip from all over California and ariozna and Louisiana: “where is cst?”

Mrs CST: “driving to Boise”
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm not at all thrilled with our Kentucky match-up. On paper, I'd rather play UVA than UK.

A line-up of 6'6" / 6'5" / 6'7" / 6'9" / 6'11" - all athletes and long - is not ideal for us when we lack anyone of measure between 6'5" and 7'0".

I have no idea what we plan to do about SGA, their 6'6" PG (with a fucking seven foot wingspan) who is hitting on all cylinders right now. No clue who we put on Kevin Knox (6'9" with a 7ft wingspan).

I know we've got guys too but goddamn... this is a match-up nightmare, probably for both teams.
I'm ok with that, honestly. The bigger wings, I see that as an invitation for Rawle and Zo to attack the rim.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

As long as Gabriel doesn’t swish every 3 he takes too. That bastard was on fire this weekend.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'm not at all thrilled with our Kentucky match-up. On paper, I'd rather play UVA than UK.

Come on down Mr. Akot... Hope you're ready for the bright lights
Beefcurtainsandwich

Post by Beefcurtainsandwich »

Longhorned wrote:

Also fcuk the NCAA.
Who knows how this will all turn out, but VA took it in the rear end. 2 of the preseason AP top 5 as potential 3rd round matchups for the best team in the country? Nice.

As for us, we either will play to our potential or we wont. Might as well get on with the test.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

That’s what I’m saying. Fuck foreplay let’s just get it on.

We’re either ready to rail or not. Let’s go.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Just had an interesting text session with a friend of mine who lives in Kentucky and a big Kentucky fan.

It basically went like this:

Him: I can't wait to see Ayton, he looks pretty good.

Me: Good is not the word I would use to describe him.

H: Ha!

M: He is the best college basketball I have seen. No one in college can match up with him

H: Well, we will see

M: Have you actually seen him play?

H: I've seen some highlights

It went on, but the point is, here is a guy who follows college basketball (maybe not to the extent that some of us do here) who knows Ayton is good, but really doesn't know a whole lot about him. I'm guessing that is fairly typical of most people outside of the AM signal range of the Pac 12 Network. Now I doubt the actual players and coaches of opposing teams are in the same boat... but still.... I don't think they are going to quite realize what they are up against until they actually line up against him... and then good luck with that double team and leaving Ristic wide open....
prh

Post by prh »

This is where I'm at too. I like the advantage we have with Duse and Deandre, but matching up on Knox will be tough, and I'm a little concerned about them taking Parker out of his game. He's been playing so well lately, but Aaron Holiday is listed at 6'1, and KU has so much size in the guards.

However, I still like us there. Kentucky has a habit of getting out of control with their youth. This team, even more than their past teams, has virtually no guys who've been through this before. We will be able to pound the post, although we will have to be good with our entry passes, which will be harder due to their guard length. If we can take care of the ball and play our game, I feel good.

But I also think that we win every game that Ayton isn't in early foul trouble.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Alieberman wrote:Just had an interesting text session with a friend of mine who lives in Kentucky and a big Kentucky fan.

M: He is the best college basketball I have seen. No one in college can match up with him

It went on, but the point is, here is a guy who follows college basketball (maybe not to the extent that some of us do here) who knows Ayton is good, but really doesn't know a whole lot about him. I'm guessing that is fairly typical of most people outside of the AM signal range of the Pac 12 Network. Now I doubt the actual players and coaches of opposing teams are in the same boat... but still.... I don't think they are going to quite realize what they are up against until they actually line up against him... and then good luck with that double team and leaving Ristic wide open....
I was thinking about teams zoning us in the tourney. I realized the first thing I'd do is go to DeAndre and tell him they're asking him for a 30-20 game. Zones can't keep him off the glass, can't keep him from grabbing lobs and can't stop him from open elbow J's.

When Ayton's midrange J falls, other teams need to hope he draws BS fouls or it's over. He's going for a minimum of 25-15 when he makes the 15-17 footer.
Lute4God

Post by Lute4God »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Just had an interesting text session with a friend of mine who lives in Kentucky and a big Kentucky fan.

I was thinking about teams zoning us in the tourney. I realized the first thing I'd do is go to DeAndre and tell him they're asking him for a 30-20 game. Zones can't keep him off the glass, can't keep him from grabbing lobs and can't stop him from open elbow J's.

When Ayton's midrange J falls, other teams need to hope he draws BS fouls or it's over. He's going for a minimum of 25-15 when he makes the 15-17 footer.
Even if Ayton is missing on his post jumper we have the high low with Ristic feeding, which to me is option 1A: If they come out on Ristic the lob to Ayton is unstoppable. If they don't Ristic is hitting that shot maybe even better than Ayton!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Lute4God wrote:Even if Ayton is missing on his post jumper we have the high low with Ristic feeding, which to me is option 1A: If they come out on Ristic the lob to Ayton is unstoppable. If they don't Ristic is hitting that shot maybe even better than Ayton!
Yeah we've seen a lot of Ayton to Ristic passing this year but I'm loving the Ristic to Ayton passing that I've seen recently.

Ristic had a crucial one to Ayton in the P12T that was just unstoppable - one seven footer to another.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

There is only one team in the South I am worried about and that is Kentucky. Win Thursday and win on Saturday and I think there is a good chance UA can take care of business in the 2nd weekend.

Fuck the NCAA Selection Committee. This team deserved the 3 in the West. Fuck them for putting UA in the south and really fuck them for not putting UA in San Diego.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
97cats

Post by 97cats »

PHXCATS wrote:There is only one team in the South I am worried about and that is Kentucky. Win Thursday and win on Saturday and I think there is a good chance UA can take care of business in the 2nd weekend.

Fuck the NCAA Selection Committee. This team deserved the 3 in the West. Fuck them for putting UA in the south and really fuck them for not putting UA in San Diego.
im appreciating your energy and attitude lately
g32knights

Post by g32knights »

Is anyone else as happy as I am that they aren't in the West? They've blown opportunities the last how many times they've been in that region? Glad to be in a different region.
Last edited by g32knights on Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Lute4God wrote:Even if Ayton is missing on his post jumper we have the high low with Ristic feeding, which to me is option 1A: If they come out on Ristic the lob to Ayton is unstoppable. If they don't Ristic is hitting that shot maybe even better than Ayton!
Yeah we've seen a lot of Ayton to Ristic passing this year but I'm loving the Ristic to Ayton passing that I've seen recently.

Ristic had a crucial one to Ayton in the P12T that was just unstoppable - one seven footer to another.
That’s the best. Just playing keep-away up high and dunking it home.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:

Against zone, Ayton and Ristic have become interchangeable from the high post. They can both stick the J and Dusan has become a better passer from that range.