I'm done with college basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bordercat

I'm done with college basketball

Post by Bordercat »

NBA more pure.

NCAA, ESPN, the committee... corrupt mother truckers.

I'm out.
Merkin

Re: I'm done with college basketball

Post by Merkin »

Haven't watched the NBA in years, and probably won't until I die.

But will see every UA game like always.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

well at least I feel ok with cancelling my tv package now since I don't need it to watch games. plenty of free time this weekend now that I won't watch any basketball the rest of the way.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
DiehardDave37

Post by DiehardDave37 »

ASUHATER! wrote:well at least I feel ok with cancelling my tv package now since I don't need it to watch games. plenty of free time this weekend now that I won't watch any basketball the rest of the way.
cosigned. :roll:
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Word!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

People that found this message board and post are not done. Sleep it off. You’ll all be back and cheering for whomever is on the floor.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
Bangkok Wildcat

Post by Bangkok Wildcat »

Merkin wrote:Haven't watched the NBA in years, and probably won't until I die.

This! I’m with you Merkin....’because Bangkok don’t surf!’.....Man this really sucks but this is also why I was on record as saying that winning the P12 Season and Tourney this screwed up year was my biggest joy and whatever success in the NCAAs was pure icing in the cake....Having said that, I’m pissed and extremely disappointed in how we flamed out in such a humiliating way.

Man, this sucks.....Really hope Miller stays though...next big fight is that one. BTFD.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Olsondogg wrote:People that found this message board and post are not done. Sleep it off. You’ll all be back and cheering for whomever is on the floor.
Damn right. In fact, major props to every player who is back on the team next year. And hopefully Miller is at the helm. Because if Miller returns and begins to rebuild, we'll be back. It may take some time with a step back next year. But the climb back up the mountain will be very sweet. Unless something surfaces that totally indicts Miller, I hope he's back and as committed as he's ever been. I hope he feels the love from the UA, especially with the school sticking with him in the darkest hour. Just want to hear it from him.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Bordercat wrote:NBA more pure.

I'm out.
NBA is 10000% times better then college basketball. Not even close

Sad too as College football is 10000% better then Pro Football

I love the NBA as there is narrative

There is no narrative in college basketball anymore

But I will never quit on my cats. Love them too much
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Newportcat wrote:

I'm out.

Help me out Newport, what is the narrative in the NBA? I like college because of the ebb and flow of the season and watching a team grow learn and come together. I want to like the nba but just haven’t found that hook. What am I missing?
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

NBA has so much talent, but only a few contenders. The regular season is long and tedious. Too many guys resting for the playoffs or DNPs for the teams trying to tank.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

CalStateTempe wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I'm out.

Help me out Newport, what is the narrative in the NBA? I like college because of the ebb and flow of the season and watching a team grow learn and come together. I want to like the nba but just haven’t found that hook. What am I missing?
LeBron vs Kyrie
KD vs Westbrook
Celtics vs Lakers
Kings vs Lakers - 2004
Cavs vs warriors
Warriors vs rockets

Teams build off each other and there is so much talent in the league right now. Games are exciting with small ball and great drama I feel like. Rockets vs warriors is going to be an epic series. Truly epic. Each game will be a war. And the winner will feel like the winner.

NBA is crushing it right now, ratings are actually up big which is amazing in this day and agre

College basketball for many is a five week season. Wasn’t always this way. It used to have narrative as the you knew the players. Now the coaches are stars. Whole game has been ruined for the tournament. Regular season ratings are awful.

I am interested in seeing if all the cavs trades materiliaze into something.

Also NBA is real where guys get paid. Everyone knows how the sausage is made and it’s fair

College basketball has this whole secret sausage factory which is utter crap because everyone is making money except the players. AAU coaches, parents, shoe companies, schools, college coaches and NCAA.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Gotcha. Thanks for weighing in.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

NBA is spectacular. The talent is through the roof. And maybe I enjoy it more since I have no real skin in the game. Can simply sit back and enjoy watching the best athletes in the world.

Edit: also it’s fun watching former cats play/coach.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Olsondogg wrote:People that found this message board and post are not done. Sleep it off. You’ll all be back and cheering for whomever is on the floor.
All right, I gotta be in a truck for like 12 hours today. I have to listen to something and I can't stand politics radio since trump got in. Maybe some jazz or 40s WWII I love America music. My parents still have Sparty, but last time the cats lost in the first, MTSU happened to MSU. Boy that was a boring month after that. March and April Suck up here. So I guess it's lowest common denominator for me, cheer against all the higher seeded teams (once bucknell takes out Sparty).
So yes, ODogg, you are probably right.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
CatsbyAZ

Post by CatsbyAZ »

Only ever paid attention to college basketball because I went to a basketball school. Hardly ever care to watch a college basketball game unless Arizona is playing.

Arizona fandone aside, college basketball is a sport that hasn't evolved, the last 2 minutes are stultified with fouls, it's death by excess with some 2 dozen games on every night, and the media leads are obnoxious blowherds. Without Arizona I'm not a college basketball fan. NFL, college football, champions league soccer, and NBA playoffs are a much better product.
“The force behind the movement of time is a mourning that will not be comforted.” author Marilynne Robinson
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

I'm done too, for the same amount of time I was the last time this happened even though this one hurts even worse. Too dumb to quit I guess.

Edit: Fuck ESPN
Fuck Greg Hansen
Fuck the Basketball Gods
Fuck ASU

Fuck Me To Tears
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
MrMeow

Post by MrMeow »

pokinmik wrote:NBA is spectacular. The talent is through the roof. And maybe I enjoy it more since I have no real skin in the game. Can simply sit back and enjoy watching the best athletes in the world.

I'd rather watch the flies land on the barn than watch regular season NBA basketball, with all that "spectacular talent" going through the motions. Plus, no skin in the game - couldn't care less who wins or loses.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

CBB > NBA still. Wake me up when you cant pick the NBA finals matchup every preseason and stars stop being little bitches and joining their friends to form super teams.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

MrMeow wrote:
pokinmik wrote:NBA is spectacular. The talent is through the roof. And maybe I enjoy it more since I have no real skin in the game. Can simply sit back and enjoy watching the best athletes in the world.

I'd rather watch the flies land on the barn than watch regular season NBA basketball, with all that "spectacular talent" going through the motions. Plus, no skin in the game - couldn't care less who wins or loses.
Hey whatever floats your boat.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

The older I get and now with a youn family of my own, the more I realize having any passion and fandom for any professional/college team is fairly stupid. Literally has no impact on 99.9% of our lives. Sure there are some ups and downs and you feel good or bad sometimes, but end of the day your life is literally the same. Who gives a shit. Or maybe me and a lot of us on here have taken our fandom too far and care too much, I dunno.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

rgdeuce wrote:CBB > NBA still. Wake me up when you cant pick the NBA finals matchup every preseason and stars stop being little bitches and joining their friends to form super teams.
Honestly, it's kind of the same in CBB. I only prefer college hoops because of UA and the shorter games/season.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

TatetheGreat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:CBB > NBA still. Wake me up when you cant pick the NBA finals matchup every preseason and stars stop being little bitches and joining their friends to form super teams.
Honestly, it's kind of the same in CBB. I only prefer college hoops because of UA and the shorter games/season.
Haha good point, it really is similar except a shorter season.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

The NBA is the only place or profession in the world where people actually complain about the best in the business getting together to succeed
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

MrMeow wrote:

Same here, doesn't really matter to me what NBA team is playing. Used to watch the Lakers when Luke Walton was part of the rotation, but don't think I have seen a game since.

Used to hate when both Kobe and Shaq were on the Lakers. It was just 2 guys playing, and the 3 other Lakers just standing around. When LeBron started with the Cavs, same thing. It was just give LBJ the ball, and everyone else clear out.

Also with a longer shot clock, and different rules for defense, there is always a chance that a really unathletic team like Davidson could almost beat UK with much faster and talented players.

I really despise the rule changes that the NCAA put in to make the game more like the NBA.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Yea I haven't watched an NBA game in probably 5 years.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

pokinmik wrote:The older I get and now with a youn family of my own, the more I realize having any passion and fandom for any professional/college team is fairly stupid. Literally has no impact on 99.9% of our lives. Sure there are some ups and downs and you feel good or bad sometimes, but end of the day your life is literally the same. Who gives a shit. Or maybe me and a lot of us on here have taken our fandom too far and care too much, I dunno.
I agree with you but sometimes my emotions take over because they are certain teams I love like family members.

Felt this book was really good in describing the psychology behind being a sports fan. We honestly feel like Arizona Basketball is a family member and we as fans are a part of a tribe. People especially Men seek out tribes. Very interesting stuff. It is not saying do not be a fan, but more the pyschology behind way you are a die hard fan. For me, the University of Arizona is a major part of who I am. I love the University of Arizona honestly just like a love a family member. When it succeeds I feel like I succeeds. When it struggles I feel like I struggle.

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-Lives-Spo ... 1590208641" target="_blank

There are other articles out there by this author which offer my concise information

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/innovati ... n-9227430/" target="_blank

Interesting stuff and yes at the end of the day, sports mean nothing. When the game is over, nothing really changed. None of our worlds are different this morning. But many of us identify with being an Arizona Wildcat that it feels like terrible. And it is normal to feel that way

But taking a step back, if you woke up this morning in good health, remember life is great.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I haven't watched a NBA game since the Warriors choked to the Cavs. I look form afar but I could careless. For me it's not about the talent, but the connection to UofA and just college sports in general. Just more fun to watch and follow for me.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Thx Newport
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Yea I haven't watched an NBA game in probably 5 years.
You guys are missing out. Game is much better then college and best its ever been. I am a die hard Lakers fan and hate the Warriors but will watch them every time I can as its beautiful basketball. Curry is just a magician.

I would watch Westbrook every chance I could to see someone play as hard as he does with as much passion as he does. I love watching Lebron play as its amazing someone with his size is that good and has that much skill. I have loved watch Lauri improve and play in a wide open system this year. I will love seeing Deandre thrive too.

And Lakers are finally building something with the help of many Wildcats.

I don't even know who is on any of these college teams anymore. And why would I care given they will be a completely different team next year. And because no team builds off each other, the game is pretty ugly.

Tourney is awesome but anyone not watching the NBA is really missing out on some good basketball with great talent right now. I hate both Houston and Golden State but can not wait for that series as it will be epic. Maybe Lakers vs Kings 2004 epic.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

haha I hope it's not rigged like Lakers/Kings was. I love the Warriors. Great basketball. Unselfish and fantastic playmaking. Lots of other teams emulating them now.

CBB needs to get rid of one and dones and back to longer term teams and it will get better. It's still fun to watch. Blow up the NCAA.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ASUHATER! wrote:
The NBA is the only place or profession in the world where people actually complain about the best in the business getting together to succeed
Yeah, the New York Yankees never existed, what was I thinking.
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

Merkin wrote:Haven't watched the NBA in years, and probably won't until I die.

I can't stand the nba. It's unwatchable and more wwe than a true game. If you enjoy watching LeBron will get "fouled" and get the and1 5 steps later more power to you. College basketball may never be the same but nba is no substitute, it's a terrible product! I have no idea why it's gaining in market, I can't tell you when I watched a game last and we've been in the conference finals here!
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

One of my favorite topics is reading/listening to why people hate the NBA. Its absolutely fascinating.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Bruins01

Post by Bruins01 »

JW_in_Boston wrote: I have no idea why it's gaining in market, I can't tell you when I watched a game last
I love the ridiculousness of this post so much.
History says, Don't hope
On this side of the grave,
But then, once in a lifetime
The longed-for tidal wave
Of justice can rise up
And hope and history rhyme.

Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

Seems like a lot of people are justifying NBA hate with old stereotypes. I might’ve even agreed on some of them a random amount of years ago. But right now the league is great. Up and down pace, they make more shots at a higher degree of difficulty than college players do, and leads are never safe. Watching the blazers, warriors, rockets, celtics, thunder, raptors, Knicks w porzingis, sixers, lebron, Greek freak, all the former cats on various teams, etc etc is entertaining. Sure you’ll find a stinker game every now and then where a team doesn’t show up, but overall there are usually multiple great games every night. League pass for 29$ a month is an amazing bang for your buck.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

TucsonClip wrote:One of my favorite topics is reading/listening to why people hate the NBA. Its absolutely fascinating.
I don't understand people who say they like basketball but don't like the NBA. I get the college spirit thing, but the NBA is objectively better basketball if you actually like basketball.

If you don't really enjoy the game and just want to root for Arizona (like me with baseball) ok. I just don't get why someone who likes basketball would not like the NBA.
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

Bruins01 wrote:
JW_in_Boston wrote: I have no idea why it's gaining in market, I can't tell you when I watched a game last
I love the ridiculousness of this post so much.
Fine - a whole game start to finish rather than clips or news. Just not my cup of tea. Wwe, mlb and nascar have tons of fans too. People watch golf on TV. None of which I'd ever do and clearly no replacement if I stop watching college hoops.

To the nba fans, how do you reconcile how the game feels rigged with the reffing? Feels like rooting for duke, you have to just accept that it's always rigged to some extent. Not my thing.
CBCat

Post by CBCat »

Newportcat wrote:
CalStateTempe wrote:
Newportcat wrote:

I'm out.

LeBron vs Kyrie
KD vs Westbrook
Celtics vs Lakers
Kings vs Lakers - 2004
Cavs vs warriors
Warriors vs rockets

Teams build off each other and there is so much talent in the league right now. Games are exciting with small ball and great drama I feel like. Rockets vs warriors is going to be an epic series. Truly epic. Each game will be a war. And the winner will feel like the winner.

NBA is crushing it right now, ratings are actually up big which is amazing in this day and agre

College basketball for many is a five week season. Wasn’t always this way. It used to have narrative as the you knew the players. Now the coaches are stars. Whole game has been ruined for the tournament. Regular season ratings are awful.

I am interested in seeing if all the cavs trades materiliaze into something.

Also NBA is real where guys get paid. Everyone knows how the sausage is made and it’s fair

College basketball has this whole secret sausage factory which is utter crap because everyone is making money except the players. AAU coaches, parents, shoe companies, schools, college coaches and NCAA.

ESPN and the Corporate dollar that goes along with it since who can keep up anymore who owns who screwed up college basketball by making up a fake team like Duke and a choke others and giving them every advantage. Look at UNC the other darling. Yeah go ahead and list other teams in other years who win but it’s the constant advantage by the constant drummer. They’ve ruined the game I lived so much. And yes the cycle swings again back to the NBA.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:One of my favorite topics is reading/listening to why people hate the NBA. Its absolutely fascinating.
I don't understand people who say they like basketball but don't like the NBA. I get the college spirit thing, but the NBA is objectively better basketball if you actually like basketball.

If you don't really enjoy the game and just want to root for Arizona (like me with baseball) ok. I just don't get why someone who likes basketball would not like the NBA.
If anyone wants to exercise their mind, eyes, and mental fortitude, watch an Arizona game and then immediately turn on a decent NBA game. The sense of relief will hit you immediately. Pace, finishing, shooting, actual modern defensive concepts, spacing, flow, no zone defenses...
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

I thought this article was so true. The NBA is a million times better game if you like the sport of basketball especially nowadays. I get people hating the NBA during the 90's and Charles Oakley era. But today, I truly believe the game has become something special.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/ncaa-to ... im-boeheim" target="_blank
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

Old habits die hard, especially when "my" team is the Suns. Why would I waste time on that garbage?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:Old habits die hard, especially when "my" team is the Suns. Why would I waste time on that garbage?
Cant argue with that! Maybe pick a new team as Sarver has killed the Suns
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I actually enjoy NBA analysis and discussion but I don't really get into watching NBA.
I'll watch the finals but I don't schedule for it

To me, the size of players and their physical abilities have outgrown the court size.
UALoco

Post by UALoco »

scumdevils86 wrote:Old habits die hard, especially when "my" team is the Suns. Why would I waste time on that garbage?
One area I can agree with scum on. When the Suns suck, I can't watch the NBA. Maybe if the Suns get the no. 1 pick and take Ayton, but the fix is in and the bulls or the lakers will probably get the no. 1 pick. The NBA powers will never let the lowly Suns have the no. 1. I also hate the Iso game..so boring to watch Curry or Lebron get the ball 9 times out of 10 in the 4th quarter.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

It's been hard to be a Spurs fan this season.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

dovecanyoncat wrote:
It's been hard to be a Spurs fan this season.
Yeah but been easy to be a spurs fan for a very long time!
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

It has been impossible to be a suns fan for almost 10 years.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

scumdevils86 wrote:It has been impossible to be a suns fan for almost 10 years.
Yes it has. Sad too as Suns were super fun to watch for many years. Some of those teams in the 90's and 2000's would really thrive in today's system
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The Suns were the only sports I cared about until 1998 when the diamondbacks came to town. Didn't follow uofa at all until 2002-2003. All Suns and Dbacks until then.