6. Dylan Smith
7. _____
8. _____
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____

But at least we can't play a slow twin towers lineup. I'm sort of looking forward to the [1 Ball Handler - 3 wings - 1 Post] lineups even though they won't be very good and have no depth.
Last edited by NYCat on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:51 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Frybry02

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Frybry02 »

No one can be currently upset with their projected minutes per game!
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

To sum it up in one word: Brutal.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

I hope we win a dozen games. Will free up a lot of time and effort for me though not really having to worry about us winning anything
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

At least Miller scheduling cupcakes will finally pay off in the out of conference schedule.

and whoa
Last edited by Merkin on Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

We are assuming everyone stays including Miller. If Miller leaves we may lose half those guys. With some regular playing time Brandon Randolph and Akot could take big steps forward. Maybe Barcello too. Would love to find some hard nosed guys and maybe a leader like a Kadeem Allen type. Probably not a Final 4 team but might be more fun and exciting to watch than this year's group.

Other than seeing how amazing Ayton's skills were this year I never felt a good connection or vibe with the team. Lack of emotion and leadership.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

It’s actually a year I’m looking forward to. It’s such a restart. Kinda like millers first year.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

I'm making big plans for the end of March next year, and will be confident that while I am on some amazing trip there is no chance I will miss anything important
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

NYCat wrote:Things are looking rough

1. Chase Jeter
2. Ira Lee
3. Emmanuel Akot
4. Brandon Randolph
5. Alex Barcello
6. Dylan Smith
7. _____
8. _____
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____

But at least we can't play a slow twin towers lineup. I'm sort of looking forward to the [1 Ball Handler - 3 wings - 1 Post] lineups even though they won't be very good and have no depth.
Looks like a lineup you'd find on a pretty good mid major team like......Loyola Chicago or.........Buffalo.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

scumdevils86 wrote:I hope we win a dozen games. Will free up a lot of time and effort for me though not really having to worry about us winning anything
Then *poof* just like that he turned into an ASU fan!

So I guess it's true, some of you are only around because you like a winning team, not Arizona. Good to know.
LBdCactus

Post by LBdCactus »

Olsondogg wrote:It’s actually a year I’m looking forward to. It’s such a restart. Kinda like millers first year.
I'm with you.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

2 5★s
1 high 4★
2 mid 4★s
1 mid major transfer
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

If they return
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

I hope Miller is California tomorrow. BW is a must get. DD should be his second stop.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

LBdCactus wrote:
Olsondogg wrote:It’s actually a year I’m looking forward to. It’s such a restart. Kinda like millers first year.
I'm with you.
If Miller wants to be here, then I want him here. I have no delusions about our roster next season. But if Miller returns and is able to pull some recruits like Williams and others, then the long term future looks bright. It all boils down to the NCAA investigation. Miller knows what may or may not be coming. And hopefully Robbins & Heeke know too.

The one thing that is certain is Mark Schlabach is a fucking horrid journalist.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

LBdCactus wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:I hope we win a dozen games. Will free up a lot of time and effort for me though not really having to worry about us winning anything
Then *poof* just like that he turned into an ASU fan!

So I guess it's true, some of you are only around because you like a winning team, not Arizona. Good to know.
:lol: I've been here for 15 years. I'm not going anywhere. I just know I won't have to stress as much in the near future.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

azgreg wrote:

1. Chase Jeter
2. Ira Lee
3. Emmanuel Akot
4. Brandon Randolph
5. Alex Barcello
6. Dylan Smith
7. _____
8. _____
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____

Looks like a lineup you'd find on a pretty good mid major team like......Loyola Chicago or.........Buffalo.
Who is the guy on that roster that shoots like any of them?
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

How many of these guys are at risk of also leaving?

Assuming Barcello and DSmith stay

Likely Akot and Ira Lee stay

A little worried about BRandolph

Can Jeter transfer to a new team next year and play immediately?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

rgdeuce wrote:
azgreg wrote:

1. Chase Jeter
2. Ira Lee
3. Emmanuel Akot
4. Brandon Randolph
5. Alex Barcello
6. Dylan Smith
7. _____
8. _____
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____

Who is the guy on that roster that shoots like any of them?
They all can......eventually. :D
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Randolphs probably a goner. Miller Kobi Simmonsed him early in the season. I could see Akot too.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

RiseAndFire wrote:Randolphs probably a goner. Miller Kobi Simmonsed him early in the season. I could see Akot too.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

SteveKerrsStroke wrote: Can Jeter transfer to a new team next year and play immediately?
Nope, so at least Jeter and Smith have to stay, since they both already burned redshirts.

Although Smith proved he really can't play all that well post season, which remains doubtful anyway next season. Not sure if he got the yips, or his didn't have any legs left, but no freshman to sophomore jump for him.

I truly expect all 6 to stay, whether Miller stays or not due to all the playing time available, and it is Arizona.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

If at least 5 of those guys stay and you get 2 good grad transfers, things will be fine next year
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

PHXCATS wrote:If at least 5 of those guys stay and you get 2 good grad transfers, things will be fine next year
And your definition of the word "fine" is?

So much uncertainty with Miller. Him quitting makes it look like he violated NCAA rules as the court of public opinion has already judged him.

If he's clean, then I absolutely want him to stay. And I think he can rebuild things. The school showed incredible pragmatism and sensibility by keeping Miller on after the ESPN story. The question is, will another shoe drop. Or can we move forward, get on with recruiting and start to rebuild. We've got some nice pieces coming back. They're young and raw, but they've had a year in the program and all can contribute.

The biggest question is when the uncertainty ends. Next week? Next month? Or does it linger indefinitely. Maybe Miller knows that this won't be resolved soon and that's what plays into his decision. I'm afraid he's going to step aside, continue to announce that he's done nothing wrong but can't clear his name or the program until the FBI case runs its course. And the only solution is to bow out and give the school and a program a chance to move forward. But I'm not sure than can happen with or without Miller. It's paralyzing the program and Miller no doubt knows that. Will he stay and fight through it with some lean years and the school's loyalty behind him? Hard call because already on this board and every other social media there are plenty of people who are reacting that he needs to go. I'd like to know a helluva lot more about the situation before I condemn the man. A lot more.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Irish27 wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:Randolphs probably a goner. Miller Kobi Simmonsed him early in the season. I could see Akot too.
Great, we'll need them, but its a long time until November and talk is cheap

The uncertainty hanging over the program won't will end until Book finally goes to trial, probably not until 2020, super quick
Last edited by RiseAndFire on Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

People forgetting we are largely in this predicament because Miller ignored continued advice to dump Book before it bit him in the ass? Another mistake by Miller.

We are Arizona, we shouldnt have the long leash that most other schools have. At minimum, like Choo said, the relationship is toxic. Or soured. Miller lost most of Tucson tonight. That's the reality. Even the most casual fan could see how special Ayton was and how awful it is to get murdered in the first round with him on the floor.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

zonagrad wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:If at least 5 of those guys stay and you get 2 good grad transfers, things will be fine next year
And your definition of the word "fine" is?

So much uncertainty with Miller. Him quitting makes it look like he violated NCAA rules as the court of public opinion has already judged him.

If he's clean, then I absolutely want him to stay. And I think he can rebuild things. The school showed incredible pragmatism and sensibility by keeping Miller on after the ESPN story. The question is, will another shoe drop. Or can we move forward, get on with recruiting and start to rebuild. We've got some nice pieces coming back. They're young and raw, but they've had a year in the program and all can contribute.

The biggest question is when the uncertainty ends. Next week? Next month? Or does it linger indefinitely. Maybe Miller knows that this won't be resolved soon and that's what plays into his decision. I'm afraid he's going to step aside, continue to announce that he's done nothing wrong but can't clear his name or the program until the FBI case runs its course. And the only solution is to bow out and give the school and a program a chance to move forward. But I'm not sure than can happen with or without Miller. It's paralyzing the program and Miller no doubt knows that. Will he stay and fight through it with some lean years and the school's loyalty behind him? Hard call because already on this board and every other social media there are plenty of people who are reacting that he needs to go. I'd like to know a helluva lot more about the situation before I condemn the man. A lot more.
In contention for a ncaa birth and top 4 seed in the PAC-12
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

Just get a player or two silimar to Kadeem and I'll be happy.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Irish27 wrote:
Akot is not going to test nba waters might be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
legallykenny

Post by legallykenny »

Newportcat wrote:
Irish27 wrote:
Akot is not going to test nba waters might be the funniest thing I have heard in a long time
I was assured by this board that Sean does not pad his recruiting stats by taking guys with pit stop mentalities that don’t have NBA talent.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Any of those Buffalo players have any eligibility?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Honestly, I sort of like that nucleus going forward. Lee and Akot seem like hard workers with some athleticism and defensive potential.

This year, the basic things like effort and intensity were our issues, not talent level. We lose talent, but I think we can gain in effort, intensity and toughness.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honestly, I sort of like that nucleus going forward. Lee and Akot seem like hard workers with some athleticism and defensive potential.

This year, the basic things like effort and intensity were our issues, not talent level. We lose talent, but I think we can gain in effort, intensity and toughness.
I agree with this.

Taking a notch or two down in talent but going up four in toughness and intensity will be good.

Look at TJ in the NBA. Has no business being there on talent. But he plays hard and tough and smart and look what he has done.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Honestly, I sort of like that nucleus going forward. Lee and Akot seem like hard workers with some athleticism and defensive potential.

Could be the right mix when they are juniors and seniors and we get the right two classes in after the dust settles. If those guys are committed to staying, that's not a huge reach for Miller or any other great coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

rgdeuce wrote:

Could be the right mix when they are juniors and seniors and we get the right two classes in after the dust settles. If those guys are committed to staying, that's not a huge reach for Miller or any other great coach.
They're not. It does depend on their draft stock of course, but yeah.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

Meant in terms of not transferring out this offseason.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

I think Mike Daum graduated already. He would be a huge get if he wants to transfer.

If Rawle comes back and we get one more player that can score I think we will be fine.
pokinmik

Post by pokinmik »

ChooChooCat wrote:
rgdeuce wrote:

I take this as transferring at some point? Because a lot of our players the last 5 years thinking they’ll go league early is annoying as fuck. Even Rawle and Trier aren’t good enough to go league and stick as is, or if they are I’ll be mildly surprised. Just making this up but if someone like Akot thinks he can go league after next year is insane.

They’re truly riding the coattails of our past players, ie you play for Arizona and have the jersey on so the league will just accept you and buffalo will lay down for you? Doesn’t work like that at all.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

SunnyAZ wrote:I think Mike Daum graduated already. He would be a huge get if he wants to transfer.

If Rawle comes back and we get one more player that can score I think we will be fine.
Rawle aint comin back. He and Trier are gonna run as far from the NCAA as possible after everything they have gone through and seen.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

rgdeuce wrote:

It's a matter of expectations. If we added the right guys, I think we can make the tourney next year. We're not a Final Four contender, but we could be an 8-11 seed.

We had oodles of talent this year, but the D as always meh with flashes of decent. Our lineup next year can be better defensively out of the gate., assuming the returners keep learning the system. Ayton is the only real defensive plus we stand to lose, and even he had issues with the sort of thing that makes team D good.
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

As it stands now, PG is still going to be a problem next year.
SabinoDrifter

Post by SabinoDrifter »

Arizona should go back to scheduling more difficult non-conference games. The Pac-12, top-to-bottom, is simply not difficult enough to paid dividends in March.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

DrWildcat wrote:As it stands now, PG is still going to be a problem next year.
A perennial problem outside of TJ. Another perennial problem will be if CSM stays but doesn't learn from his mistakes. Great recruiter, excellent coach, prodigious worker, passionate leader, but he should learn from *team postseason play* that talent hasn't thrived in his system. He doesn't need a radical change but he should be able to tweak and improve. A coach that ignores his contribution to results is like a player that refuses to play defense. I for one hope he gains some new wisdom and enters a new era for us.

When he was hired I said to my wife :"No more soft, finesse teams." Look at us now.

edit*
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

DrWildcat wrote:As it stands now, PG is still going to be a problem next year.
We need Williams back or a grad transfer to have a real tourney shot next year.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Maybe Miller can land a Pitt player or two.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote:Maybe Miller can land a Pitt player or two.
Unless Miller goes to Pitt then he has to try and keep all 8.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Eric Musselman played 6 players total today against Texas and won. He has my vote as our coach for next year.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

ChooChooCat wrote:Eric Musselman played 6 players total today against Texas and won. He has my vote as our coach for next year.
I don't know what is in his background beyond his DUI, but there has to something damning. He should have had the CAL job.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

baycat93 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Eric Musselman played 6 players total today against Texas and won. He has my vote as our coach for next year.
I don't know what is in his background beyond his DUI, but there has to something damning. He should have had the CAL job.
He's better than the Cal job and he'd commanf more money than Cal could afford.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

The level of delusion and rationalization in this thread centered on just adding a couple of players and we'll be fine doesn't qualify as even laughable. It's head shaking level stuff.

It stuns me that a relatively knowledgeable group of hardcore Arizona basketball fan's can rationalize the over-inflated roster talent we have and the depth of the rebuilding task that's ahead of us.

The team we will likely field next year, even with a few grad transfers may have trouble competing in the horrendously crappy PAC12 conference which is a complete laughingstock nationally.

Our team just got lobotomized by 20 points from a group of players that would have never been offered scholarships to Arizona. The year before that the same story, and the year before the same story. We have a trend folks.

I said it before and I'll say it again, outside of Ayton if you're being intellectually honest, our talent level is no where as good as most of you think it is.

And next year there won't be any denying how far we will have dropped. Stop lying to yourselves, a couple of grad transfers are not putting this ship back on course.