2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IrishAzCat

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by IrishAzCat »

zonagrad wrote:
azgreg wrote:
RiseAndFire wrote:Don't worry, its fine

see, everything will be all cleared up as soon as Books' trial ends in June 2019 , and then after the 2-yr long NCAA probe, so 2021 when the postseason ban is announced, then 2 years of postseason ban so make that 2023, plus a year to get a new class of recruits in so 2024.

2024-2025 Arizona Basketball - Smell the Vindication!
I'll take "Who's the biggest douchebag on the forum?" for $300 Alex.
$300? Are you kidding? That was such an easy question. $100 in the opening round.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

IrishAzCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
azgreg wrote:

see, everything will be all cleared up as soon as Books' trial ends in June 2019 , and then after the 2-yr long NCAA probe, so 2021 when the postseason ban is announced, then 2 years of postseason ban so make that 2023, plus a year to get a new class of recruits in so 2024.

$300? Are you kidding? That was such an easy question. $100 in the opening round.
Good lord that's funny.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Lmao
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

So the OOC is looking like the only way we'll make the tournament as the Pac 12 is trash and won't do us any favors. So far it's looking like this for '18-'19

Maui (Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State, Xavier)
@ UConn
@ Alabama
Baylor
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Be interesting to see how they pair those teams. You can tell who they want in the finals. Even Atlantis this year hit the match up it wanted in the 7-8 game :)
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:So the OOC is looking like the only way we'll make the tournament as the Pac 12 is trash and won't do us any favors. So far it's looking like this for '18-'19

Maui (Arizona, Auburn, Duke, Gonzaga, Illinois, Iowa State, San Diego State, Xavier)
@ UConn
@ Alabama
Baylor
Damn! That Maui field is brutal! But hey, teams are raw as hell early in the season. Better to face these teams in Nov/Dec. Maybe our young guys will get excited and hit a bunch of shots.

As for the Pac season, Oregon, UCLA, USC, and ASU are all losing key players. The league should be relatively “down” again, so it’s not as though AZ can’t get into the race.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IrishAzCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
azgreg wrote:

My god, this is exquisite work my man. Bravo.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

IrishAzCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:
azgreg wrote:

The computer gods have given you great favor...
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Oh my god that is gold. How did I miss that?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Chicat wrote:Oh my god that is gold. How did I miss that?
We've had almost 329,000 posts here and it's the best one by far.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

NYCat wrote: 1. Chase Jeter
2. Ira Lee
3. Emmanuel Akot
4. Brandon Randolph
5. Alex Barcello
6. Dylan Smith
7. Devonaire Doutrive
8. _____
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____
Last edited by NYCat on Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

An actual LOI is big in my opinion.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

azgreg wrote:An actual LOI is big in my opinion.
Huge

Signed Shaqs son and Williams
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
CatHoops

Post by CatHoops »

PHXCATS wrote:
Huge

They didn't sign LOI they did financial aid papers which are non binding. So ya it's a bit different.
RiseAndFire

Post by RiseAndFire »

Wow I missed that too. Congratulations on your gif! However, I was still a believer in 2014 because Stan-man was going to be that 5-star to finally get us to the FF. And then we played WIsconsin again. :idea:
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Whoa! This is good right? Like maybe open the floorgates “it’s ok other recruits, the waters fine” huge right?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

CatHoops wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Huge

They didn't sign LOI they did financial aid papers which are non binding. So ya it's a bit different.
Tucson.com is reporting that he signed an actual LOI. Do you have a link that says otherwise?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

azgreg wrote:
CatHoops wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Huge

Tucson.com is reporting that he signed an actual LOI. Do you have a link that says otherwise?
Reef and BDub signed financial aid papers which only obligates the school. The new kid definitely signed a NLI since you can see NLI right on the paperwork. NLI obligates the player, which they cannot walk away from.

Not sure why Pascoe calls it a LOI, it's a NLI (National Letter of Intent)
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I liked Bill Doutrive, I like adding Devonaire Doutrive. Welcome aboard!
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

CatHoops wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
Huge

That was the point of my post
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Gilbertcat

Post by Gilbertcat »

Pretty cool!

Also IrishAzCat is one funny skilled dude!
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Scholarship count now at 8
NYCat wrote: 1. Chase Jeter
2. Ira Lee
3. Emmanuel Akot
4. Brandon Randolph
5. Alex Barcello
6. Dylan Smith
7. Devonaire Doutrive
8. Omar Thielemans
9. _____
10. ____
11. ____
12. ____
13. ____
whatisee

Post by whatisee »

Now a 4* prospect ranked #107. He has some broad shoulders! Looks like he can add some weight
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Commented on the quality and integration of the strength and conditioning program as part of why he committed. Looks like he'll take advantage.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

whatisee wrote:Now a 4* prospect ranked #107. He has some broad shoulders! Looks like he can add some weight
That's why I'd thrown out a poor man's DWill. He has a large enough frame to be a smaller 4 in college, plus he has a J and a little craftiness around the rim.

He is a classic college combo forward type.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

His passing skills are elite.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

How's his D?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

That's kinda personal.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

There’s a lot to like in the passing, rebounding, rim attacking potential of Akot and Omar.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Akinjo officially a Hoya...

Need Williams and Luther.

Still can't see the attraction for Williams to go to Oregon. They've got an all conference point guard with two years of starts under his belt, with a four star (top 100) rising sophomore combo guard in Vic Bailey Jr and a four star (top 50) incoming freshman combo guard in Will Richardson behind him. Oregon's biggest need, if they have one, is a day one starting shooting guard.

If Williams commits to Oregon, not only is he in competition with Pritchard for the PG role (an unlikely win given the success and experience Pritchard has had under Altman), he's in a dog fight for the remaining guard minutes with Will Richardson - a guard prospect comparably ranked to Williams - as well as the incumbent Bailey Jr, who though lower ranked coming in has had a year of growth, learning, and development under his belt.

Arizona is flush with wings - that's for sure - but there's an obvious hole at PG.

These are Williams's professed criteria:

No. 1 – Style of play. "Who's going to let him have the ball in his hands from the get go?" Wright said. "That's why these schools are still in play because all these coaches have said that before."

No. 2 – Comfort level. "We're checking out the coaches, the environment, the feel, the feel for the teammates, the feel for the school itself, the location, the culture. He's got to be comfortable."

If we've got #2 taken care of with Miller's contract amendment and the two recent commits, then #1 should take care of itself.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Williams was up in Oregon this weekend right and he left without a commitment? I thought I read where he said he was going to wait until early summer to decide? If so he will know our roster by then and hopefully see he light once again
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Perhaps he thinks he will go to Oregon and beat out the incumbent or force his way into the regular lineup? These kids all have supreme confidence...am always worried about the kids who require a position to be completely open who are supposedly elite.

That said, the Oregon situation isn't just an incumbent. If he wants to chill and wait his turn, get some decent run, and play with that rather good class, that is fine. But if he wants to make a splash immediately, that's the wrong place for him and it is rather clear. I can also see his fear coming here and having everything blow up, but if it hasn't been demonstrated enough by Yahoo and ESPN story credibility and whatever backchannel came from the AAG to the school along with the AAG public comments, that we are no better or worse than any of the schools with investigations pending, then it never will be.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:Akinjo officially a Hoya...

Need Williams and Luther.

Still can't see the attraction for Williams to go to Oregon. They've got an all conference point guard with two years of starts under his belt, with a four star (top 100) rising sophomore combo guard in Vic Bailey Jr and a four star (top 50) incoming freshman combo guard in Will Richardson behind him. Oregon's biggest need, if they have one, is a day one starting shooting guard.

If Williams commits to Oregon, not only is he in competition with Pritchard for the PG role (an unlikely win given the success and experience Pritchard has had under Altman), he's in a dog fight for the remaining guard minutes with Will Richardson - a guard prospect comparably ranked to Williams - as well as the incumbent Bailey Jr, who though lower ranked coming in has had a year of growth, learning, and development under his belt.

Arizona is flush with wings - that's for sure - but there's an obvious hole at PG.

These are Williams's professed criteria:

No. 1 – Style of play. "Who's going to let him have the ball in his hands from the get go?" Wright said. "That's why these schools are still in play because all these coaches have said that before."

No. 2 – Comfort level. "We're checking out the coaches, the environment, the feel, the feel for the teammates, the feel for the school itself, the location, the culture. He's got to be comfortable."

If we've got #2 taken care of with Miller's contract amendment and the two recent commits, then #1 should take care of itself.
The fact that Oregon is going after a bunch of grad transfer PGs while also while primarily trying to land Williams should tell you how Altman feels about Pritchard as the PG & Richardson ability to play the point at all.

Williams would walk in and start day 1, this is the same case with Gonzaga, both schools including Arizona are pursuing grad transfer PGs while trying to land Williams.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EV to your point: I think the obvious result of Williams going to Oregon would be Williams at SG and Pritchard at PG for the next two years, with Richardson and Bailey nipping at his heels (and potentially beating him out). If he wants to ever make a splash as a PG, it won't be in his first two years at Oregon.

Could you play Pritchard at two guard? Of course. Is that what Altman would do? No chance.

Altman elevated Pritchard to starting PG as a freshman over Dylan Ennis and Casey Benson, upperclassmen who had shown 2:1 A:TO ratios. Altman demanded Pritchard become a better player last year - a senior leader despite only being a sophomore. He played more than 35 min/g at PG after playing 28min/g there as a freshman, totaling nearly 2,400 minutes of time on the floor at that position under Altman.

He is the only veteran player on the team. There is a zero percent chance that he loses the starting role and plays fewer than 33min/g at PG this coming season, baring injury. He's a former USA Junior National team player, a former 4 star top 50 recruit, a four time state champion, high school state player of the year, a starter for a Final Four team and a two year incumbent.

Williams is looking at either joining Arizona as the starting PG or joining Oregon to compete for the starting SG position. Hopefully his team knows that.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

NYCat wrote: The fact that Oregon is going after a bunch of grad transfer PGs while also while primarily trying to land Williams should tell you how Altman feels about Pritchard as the PG & Richardson ability to play the point at all.

Williams would walk in and start day 1, this is the same case with Gonzaga, both schools including Arizona are pursuing grad transfer PGs while trying to land Williams.
Oregon has three open roster spots. Like every team - they're to fill out their roster and they're going for the best talent available.

We're way over-estimating Williams if we think he'd "walk in and start" over Pritchard. I'm afraid that our fall from grace has caused us to way over-estimate the kid in general. I want him, but he's not Ayton or Gordon for Arizona. He's not Colin Sexton or Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball or De'Aaron Fox at the PG spot.
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:How's his D?
Postmaster wrote:That's kinda personal.
Brightened up my day. Thank you. :lol:
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: I want him, but he's not Ayton or Gordon for Arizona. He's not Colin Sexton or Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball or De'Aaron Fox at the PG spot.
You're probably right, but as a freshman, he'd still likely be as good as (or better than) a senior PJC.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

New Rivals rankings out...

Devonaire up to 79th in the country in the final rankings. BWill up to 32nd.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: I want him, but he's not Ayton or Gordon for Arizona. He's not Colin Sexton or Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball or De'Aaron Fox at the PG spot.
You're probably right, but as a freshman, he'd still likely be as good as (or better than) a senior PJC.
That's setting the bar very low.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
NYCat wrote: The fact that Oregon is going after a bunch of grad transfer PGs while also while primarily trying to land Williams should tell you how Altman feels about Pritchard as the PG & Richardson ability to play the point at all.

Oregon has three open roster spots. Like every team - they're to fill out their roster and they're going for the best talent available.

We're way over-estimating Williams if we think he'd "walk in and start" over Pritchard. I'm afraid that our fall from grace has caused us to way over-estimate the kid in general. I want him, but he's not Ayton or Gordon for Arizona. He's not Colin Sexton or Markelle Fultz or Lonzo Ball or De'Aaron Fox at the PG spot.
Oregon is selling Williams on starting alongside Pritchard where they'd both share PG duties.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

zonagrad wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
That's setting the bar very low.
Totally. Here's a better way of saying it: BW will likely be better as a freshman than PJC was as a senior.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Oregon is selling Williams on starting alongside Pritchard where they'd both share PG duties.
There's one ball and only one of the guys has 70 games and two years of practice running the show with it in his hands.

But sure. Dual-PGs would be a thing.

(Not lambasting your input, Choo - it's always appreciated and certainly more insightful than my rantings - just think that pitch is fanciful at best).
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

OT looks really good from the few videos I saw. Great passes and very good handles. Hate to say it but Akot has some competition now. Does Omar speak english? :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:OT looks really good from the few videos I saw. Great passes and very good handles. Hate to say it but Akot has some competition now. Does Omar speak english? :lol:
Omar is fluent. Also apparently Ira Lee and Eman Akot were the dudes who stepped up to help recruit Omar on his visit.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

I have no expectations next season even with Williams. I just hope to see a breakout Akot. He has the most upside of anyone returning or incoming.

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

TatetheGreat wrote:I have no expectations next season even with Williams. I just hope to see a breakout Akot. He has the most upside of anyone returning or incoming.

Yup, I have a huge man-crush on Akot. My expectations for his development are quite high.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
rgdeuce

Post by rgdeuce »

Agree on Akot. And Randolph will have a season under his belt and hopefully resolved some of the confidence issues (assuming here) he had in his freshman season. Plenty of minutes and more leash without having to worry about scrapping for leftover minutes from Alkins and Trier on the wing. Next season could still be lots of fun and productive if Miller finishes strong with this class/grad transfers.
catgrad97

Post by catgrad97 »

Does it bother anybody else how many of our incoming sophomores under Miller we always root for "hopefully having resolved confidence issues" from their freshman year?

Akot, Barcello, PJC, Daniel Bejarano, Solomon Hill...the beat goes on.

Why?
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

catgrad97 wrote:Does it bother anybody else how many of our incoming sophomores under Miller we always root for "hopefully having resolved confidence issues" from their freshman year?

Akot, Barcello, PJC, Daniel Bejarano, Solomon Hill...the beat goes on.

Why?
Miller's offense, IMO. Add in three parts confidence issues because of the strain the defense puts on young guys, and you get these outcomes.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier