2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Spaceman Spiff

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
TucsonClip wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:More thoughts from the above and the videos...

Miller is looking to run a Four Out offense with a single post player and four guards/wings who can switch, handle the ball, and shoot. Matches our personnel. You can call that Villanova-esque but it reminds me of the new NBA pace and space standard. Think the Houston Rockets, w/ Jeter as Capella in the middle, Coleman as CP3, Williams as Harden... then mix in Smith, Randolph, Akot, Lee, DD, OT, AB, etc as the other two of Ariza, Tucker, Gordon, Green.

Houston played the 6'5" 245lb PJ Tucker at center in their small line-up with CP3, Harden, Gordon, and Ariza... Arizona has the personnel to play a similar line-up if a hard rebounding, versatile defending small ball center emerges (Ira Lee? Ryan Luther? Eman? OT?). Swarming, switching defense and then the ability to really get out and run on misses to quickly put up points and keep the pressure turned up.

It'll be really interesting to see how Miller mixes it up this season, both due to the major structural change in the roster (we don't have multiple starting caliber seven footers) and due to not having many guys inked as starters, let alone "go-to guys." Miller notes in the piece that he's aware that this season's lack of expectations and the total cleaning out of the starting line-up allows this team to find its way at its own pace. I really hope that means mixing up our line-ups... though that will require guys to perform on defense in order to warrant Miller's minutes.

Looking forward to seeing how the sophomores have progressed so we'll know who can really play this season.

(PS I will keep talking to myself if y'all don't respond IDGAF :D )
If even half of the above happens, I will need a change of pants. Ill keep a second pair nearby, but plan on not needing it.
I want the above but I also predicted a Coleman / Williams / Randolph (or Smith?) / Luther / Jeter starting line-up and I'm afraid that's what we'll see most of this year.
It's our most natural lineup (although I think the perimeter is fungible with Williams, Coleman, Akot, Smith and Randolph all legit contenders as a starter).

I tend to think Luther and Jeter at 4 and 5 are pretty much locked in.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

A lot of great chatter about our guys here. Anyone have any strong feeling on a Pac favorite for 2018-19? Feel like taking a shot at the final conference standings? The rosters are pretty much locked in now, so we know what we're getting. I suppose eligibility issues can always come out of left field, plus injuries. But let's just assume that everyone's healthy and eligible. Who is winning the Pac? Who's making the tourney?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Keep talking. It's nice to have some good, informed opinions.

I like the Houston style more as an option vs a primary. The downside of their approach is the it is heavily dependent on the 3 falling offensively and having effective pick and roll ballhandlers. Houston plays that way so well because Harden and Paul are both incredibly efficient pick and rollers and they surrounded them with guys who can shoot.

Defensively, I'm down with more flexibility. If Akot is ready for extended minutes, he can rotate to help the 4 and provide a more athletic presence there. Similarly, Lee is best suited to run around and cause havoc, not as a traditional post on D.

There should be more need for experimenting in 18-19. We don't have the horses you just expect to win the 1 on 1 matchups like years past. Utilizing the versatility of the guys we have matters much more.

We'll see. I'm excited to see how Miller deals with the challenges and opportunities the 18-19 team presents.
Thanks Spiff.

Agreed that we'll have to experiment by necessity, and I know many of us have been waiting a long time for Miller to truly experiment and throw different looks (and I don't mean "hedge harder" or "double the post entry" out of the half changes).

We have a traditional team in JCole / Williams / insert SF / Luther / Jeter... that's fine. You're probably right that options like a four out (Jeter at the post surrounded by shooters / ball handlers) or a true small ball (Lee or Akot at the five spot, havok defense and run on offense) are used situationally (if they're used at all). Certainly Buffalo comes to mind as an opponent who we should have thrown a different line-up at, and not just as a "nothing is working, send out whoever is on the bench" play.

We've seen so many seasons of Miller sticking with a certain line-up or saying "play the other guy straight up and just be better" that it's hard to believe we'll see a big change this year. But to CST's point: the lack of obvious leadership and five star talent should allow for players to mix it up, see a path to success, and really grow without a clear ceiling in sight.

Jeter, the former McD's AA and USA Basketball stud, starting at center at age 22 is great. That's a great anchor for this team from a dude who has seen a lot and who by all accounts does the hard work of rebounding, screening, and defending the rim. Williams, the would-be five star and prodigal son (was dead, and is alive again - forgiven for his sins against his house), heading the point of attack... he's the bucketing getting big point guard we've been missing. Jeter is locked into his role. Williams is looking to ascend to his "natural" role leading the team. Everyone else is just in the mix.

I'm excited. If we miss the tournament that's a tough blow. But would it be any worse than last year's tournament? At this point I'm just ready to see us play ball, ready to see these guys grow, and I'm fully ready to forgive any growing pains or weirdness from this team. It is what it is.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:A lot of great chatter about our guys here. Anyone have any strong feeling on a Pac favorite for 2018-19? Feel like taking a shot at the final conference standings? The rosters are pretty much locked in now, so we know what we're getting. I suppose eligibility issues can always come out of left field, plus injuries. But let's just assume that everyone's healthy and eligible. Who is winning the Pac? Who's making the tourney?
1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Arizona
4. UCLA
5. USC
6. ASU
7. Stanford
8. Oregon St
9 - 12 trash.

Something like that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Keep talking. It's nice to have some good, informed opinions.

I like the Houston style more as an option vs a primary. The downside of their approach is the it is heavily dependent on the 3 falling offensively and having effective pick and roll ballhandlers. Houston plays that way so well because Harden and Paul are both incredibly efficient pick and rollers and they surrounded them with guys who can shoot.

Defensively, I'm down with more flexibility. If Akot is ready for extended minutes, he can rotate to help the 4 and provide a more athletic presence there. Similarly, Lee is best suited to run around and cause havoc, not as a traditional post on D.

There should be more need for experimenting in 18-19. We don't have the horses you just expect to win the 1 on 1 matchups like years past. Utilizing the versatility of the guys we have matters much more.

We'll see. I'm excited to see how Miller deals with the challenges and opportunities the 18-19 team presents.
Thanks Spiff.

Agreed that we'll have to experiment by necessity, and I know many of us have been waiting a long time for Miller to truly experiment and throw different looks (and I don't mean "hedge harder" or "double the post entry" out of the half changes).

We have a traditional team in JCole / Williams / insert SF / Luther / Jeter... that's fine. You're probably right that options like a four out (Jeter at the post surrounded by shooters / ball handlers) or a true small ball (Lee or Akot at the five spot, havok defense and run on offense) are used situationally (if they're used at all). Certainly Buffalo comes to mind as an opponent who we should have thrown a different line-up at, and not just as a "nothing is working, send out whoever is on the bench" play.

We've seen so many seasons of Miller sticking with a certain line-up or saying "play the other guy straight up and just be better" that it's hard to believe we'll see a big change this year. But to CST's point: the lack of obvious leadership and five star talent should allow for players to mix it up, see a path to success, and really grow without a clear ceiling in sight.

Jeter, the former McD's AA and USA Basketball stud, starting at center at age 22 is great. That's a great anchor for this team from a dude who has seen a lot and who by all accounts does the hard work of rebounding, screening, and defending the rim. Williams, the would-be five star and prodigal son (was dead, and is alive again - forgiven for his sins against his house), heading the point of attack... he's the bucketing getting big point guard we've been missing. Jeter is locked into his role. Williams is looking to ascend to his "natural" role leading the team. Everyone else is just in the mix.

I'm excited. If we miss the tournament that's a tough blow. But would it be any worse than last year's tournament? At this point I'm just ready to see us play ball, ready to see these guys grow, and I'm fully ready to forgive any growing pains or weirdness from this team. It is what it is.
Regarding anchors, that's sort of why I think we'll wind up starting a more or less traditional lineup. Jeter and Luther are our two most likely steady producers. They may not produce the most, but I think they'll produce the most consistently.

As a result of that, I figure Miller will start those two pretty exclusively. Miller, like most coaches, is big on knowing what he'll get. Those two sort of drive us into a traditional lineup.

That said, I don't think our natural lineup is so good that it overcomes the others. I like Jeter and Luther, but if Akot, Randolph, Williams and Coleman get it rolling, the default isn't good enough to ignore getting all of those guys out there and playing small ball.

Then, what about guys like Doutrive, Barcello and Thielmans? Are they ready for minutes? If yes, how do you accomodate them?

I'll be honest, it hasn't been fun being viewed as a NC contender every year. The expectations get crushing. Next year, we aren't and that's actually fun.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:A lot of great chatter about our guys here. Anyone have any strong feeling on a Pac favorite for 2018-19? Feel like taking a shot at the final conference standings? The rosters are pretty much locked in now, so we know what we're getting. I suppose eligibility issues can always come out of left field, plus injuries. But let's just assume that everyone's healthy and eligible. Who is winning the Pac? Who's making the tourney?
1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Arizona
4. UCLA
5. USC
6. ASU
7. Stanford
8. Oregon St
9 - 12 trash.

Something like that.
UW, eh? I need to brush up on their roster. Not sure who they lost and have coming in. Thought USC was supposed to be better.

And if we finish 3rd in a down year, I'll be pretty stoked.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I just wrote a billion words on Oregon and accidentally closed my browser... which is a nice reminder from God that nothing I type on an internet forum really matters.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Beachcat97 wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
1. Oregon
2. Washington
3. Arizona
4. UCLA
5. USC
6. ASU
7. Stanford
8. Oregon St
9 - 12 trash.

Something like that.
UW, eh? I need to brush up on their roster. Not sure who they lost and have coming in. Thought USC was supposed to be better.

And if we finish 3rd in a down year, I'll be pretty stoked.
Re: UW, they return everyone from last year and will likely start three seniors, a junior and a sophomore. Thybulle returns at the wing after winning DPOY, Dickerson returns in the post after making 1st Team All Pac-12, and Norwell likely steps up further after leading the team in scoring as a freshman SG.

They should remain the best defense in the conference and I'm projecting they'll improve on offense under second year head coach Mike Hopkins. Their continuity is a great strength (every practice last year applies to this coming season - no role changes, no surprises)... but it's also a weakness, in that they're returning the exact same group that finished just above .500 in a down Pac-12 last season. Particularly of concern is PG David Crisp who has never shown he's worth starting in this conference.

In the end I'm high on them (maybe too high) for the same reason as I'm high on Arizona... I look at the rest of the conference and I'm not that impressed.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Mon Jul 23, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I just wrote a billion words on Oregon and accidentally closed my browser... which is a nice reminder from God that nothing I type on an internet forum really matters.
I type on my phone. Sometimes I'll type a ton and accidentally hit back and delete it all. Just think of the pearls I could have been dropping.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Oregon's newcomers will struggle just like Arizona's freshman (aside from Ayton) struggled last season. USC should challenge. UW will be solid. But they'll struggle on the road in the Pac.

With that said. Arizona is gonna win the conference. Again.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Looks like Iowa State will be our first opponent in Maui and we get Gonzaga/Illinois for the 2nd game.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Re: UW, they return everyone from last year and will likely start three seniors, a junior and a sophomore. Thybulle returns at the wing after winning DPOY, Dickerson returns in the post after making 1st Team All Pac-12, and Norwell likely steps up further after leading the team in scoring as a freshman SG.

They should remain the best defense in the conference and I'm projecting they'll improve on offense under second year head coach Mike Hopkins. Their continuity is a great strength (every practice last year applies to this coming season - no role changes, no surprises)... but it's also a weakness, in that they're returning the exact same group that finished just above .500 in a down Pac-12 last season. Particularly of concern is PG David Crisp who has never shown he's worth starting in this conference.

In the end I'm high on them (maybe too high) for the same reason as I'm high on Arizona... I look at the rest of the conference and I'm not that impressed.
From our perspective, missing UW in Seattle means the world. They were the most impressive road crowd I have seen in years last year, and it lifted them to a win, without a doubt. They were so uneven in their play, and it seemed to be related to location of game and crowd.

They were 6-3 at home and were shaky in games away from home. Losing to Oregon St in Vegas with so much on the line was really bad. The Huskies were 10-1 at home OOC (including NIT win, not including exhibition), losing only to Gonzaga. So 16 of their 21 wins were in Seattle. Their road wins in conference were in front of just over 3,000 at Galen Center vs USC, less than 3,500 at Washington St, at Maples vs Stanford, and at Colorado and Cal.

The exception to prove the rule, of course, comes with them walking into Kansas to beat the Jayhawks, but I will extend my idea here that they were a team that needed the crowd. That can happen when you are a huge underdog having success in a place going bonkers against you, too...we have seen that from time to time, the hot underdog with no pressure making everything. But outside of the Kansas win, they were awful on the road, with their best conference win on the road against 2nd place USC in what can only be called a neutral site. They beat the 5th, 7th, 11th and 12th place teams on the road beyond that. 5-9 away from Seattle, including 3 neutrals.

They return a lot. But are they good, or home good? That's my question. I don't doubt they will be one of the upper half of the conference, but to agree while disagreeing with you, your point that returning the same team that went just above .500 last year is worth exploring. They weren't exactly young, so there isn't going to be this huge jump like a bunch of freshmen turning into sophomores with regular playing time. They were home dependent...a lot of teams are much better at home, but they were 16-6 at home vs 5-9 on the road/neutral. The only glimmer of there being more there to win road/neutral games than was seen last year is the Kansas game. They'll need some freshmen to perform well...on the road...to turn that around.

That said, the conference is weak, and there are some gimme games. It just doesn't do them much favor that we are getting them at home only. They get Oregon at home in the final weekend, but that might not be good as it may be a home game late that they have to win against a team infusing a super class with experience that will have had an entire season together.

I dunno...the PAC may be so weak as to guarantee a top 4 finish for anyone competent. Maybe my criticisms of UW would be valid in any other year, but this year they have more than enough...
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:They return a lot. But are they good, or home good? That's my question. I don't doubt they will be one of the upper half of the conference, but to agree while disagreeing with you, your point that returning the same team that went just above .500 last year is worth exploring. They weren't exactly young, so there isn't going to be this huge jump like a bunch of freshmen turning into sophomores with regular playing time.
Yeah I think that's the crux of it. The only boost I can offer them is that Norwell will likely take a freshman to sophomore jump and increase his efficiency, and that they're now in their second year with their coach. And regarding that coaching change, I don't think they expected to win games when they started last season, and without that warrior "we're going to win every goddamn day" attitude it can be hard to get up for road games (barring a crowd on the other side to hype you, as you note).

You and I are in the same boat here. Despite me putting a ranked list out, I'm not sold on anything other than those teams listed 1-6 will likely finish somewhere 1-6.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Iowa State will be our first opponent in Maui and we get Gonzaga/Illinois for the 2nd game.
So... we're the three seed? That's mighty generous and it throws all my previous talk of this out the window. I previously assumed we'd be the 4 or 5, and would have to face the 1 seed Duke in the second round if we could beat Xavier (who is rightly here the five seed).

Iowa State then... they've got a great returning backcourt in rising soph Lindell Wigginton (6'2", fearless bucket-getter) and rising senior Nick Weiler-Babb (6'5" PG with crazy vision - second best passing guard in the Big XII last season behind Young). They'll likely play 6'9" sophomore Cam Lard at center - he's efficient in the post and highly productive in rebounding and protecting the rim as an elite shot blocker. Then they have rising junior forward Solomon Young, a 6'8" bruiser with a 7'2" wingspan.

Weiler-Babb and Young are coming off of knee injuries that cut their season short last season. Lard is dealing with some off the court issues that have thus far kept him out of summer practice. We're probably lucky to face this group earlier in the year rather than later.

If we can take ISU, the Zags would be up next. They're going to be heavy favorites in that one, rightfully. We'll likely get dismantled in that one. After that we'd get one of Auburn / Xavier / Duke (I think Auburn) for the 3rd place game.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:Looks like Iowa State will be our first opponent in Maui and we get Gonzaga/Illinois for the 2nd game.
So... we're the three seed? That's mighty generous and it throws all my previous talk of this out the window. I previously assumed we'd be the 4 or 5, and would have to face the 1 seed Duke in the second round if we could beat Xavier (who is rightly here the five seed).

Iowa State then... they've got a great returning backcourt in rising soph Lindell Wigginton (6'2", fearless bucket-getter) and rising senior Nick Weiler-Babb (6'5" PG with crazy vision - second best passing guard in the Big XII last season behind Young). They'll likely play 6'9" sophomore Cam Lard at center - he's efficient in the post and highly productive in rebounding and protecting the rim as an elite shot blocker. Then they have rising junior forward Solomon Young, a 6'8" bruiser with a 7'2" wingspan.

Weiler-Babb and Young are coming off of knee injuries that cut their season short last season. Lard is dealing with some off the court issues that have thus far kept him out of summer practice. We're probably lucky to face this group earlier in the year rather than later.

If we can take ISU, the Zags would be up next. They're going to be heavy favorites in that one, rightfully. We'll likely get dismantled in that one. After that we'd get one of Auburn / Xavier / Duke (I think Auburn) for the 3rd place game.
I think the Zags may be the 1 seed and we're the 4.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote:I think the Zags may be the 1 seed and we're the 4.
Here's how it looks to me:

1. Duke
2. Gonzaga
3. Arizona
4. Auburn
5. Xavier
6. Iowa State
7. Illinois
8. SDSU

Here's the alternative:

1. Gonzaga
2. Duke
3. Auburn
4. Arizona
5. Iowa State
6. Xavier
7. SDSU
8. Illinois

Shoot. Maybe you're right. I think my whole theory rests on Xavier being the five seed over Iowa State.

Edit: Iowa St is better than Xavier this year, surprisingly. We're the four and Gonzaga is the one.
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

is Chaminade not in the tournament anymore?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ASUHATER! wrote:is Chaminade not in the tournament anymore?
No, they play an early game on the mainland against us this year. More here on the change.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

Let's get it
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Scrubs should get lots of minutes.

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Official practices start two months from tomorrow...
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

You guys are getting me all fires up now.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

How do I get tickets for the Chaminade exhibition? It's Sunday Nov 4th in Tucson... we host Colorado football on Friday night. Sounds like a nice little weekend to get back to the Old Pueblo.

Got it: Single-game tickets, Holiday Packs, & Mini Plans go on sale (online) Oct 13
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:Official practices start two months from tomorrow...
Oh that is such damn good news.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

So no major rule changes this year? In the NIT they tested 4 quarters, 20 second shot clock reset after an offensive board, widened FT line and extended 3 PT line

This is all I could find: https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/file ... 180612.pdf" target="_blank
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona gonna be better this season than most fans expect

gonna suprise
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

97cats wrote:Arizona gonna be better this season than most fans expect

gonna suprise
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

I expect them to win the Pac and play in the conf champ game.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
psiclist23

Post by psiclist23 »

gonna suprise
Won't surprise me. A point guard, no slow lumbering center, and Miller (maybe) forced to play a modern game.... sounds good to me.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

This team has the chance to be as essential to this program in the rearview as the 1988 team and the 2011 team.

Both established Arizona as a presence nationally.

The 1988 team, obviously, was the first Final Four team, and while Snowden and co had moments, the 1988 team happened in the modern era of the tournament and March Madness. They still are remembered as "the first".

The 2011 team suggested our national relevance did not lie solely with Lute. Despite an awful-for-everybody two year "interim coach" period, those teams somehow made the tournament. Then everyone (virtually) was gone. We almost bungled the hire. Arizona Basketball would not be more than a regional oddity and historical marker if Tim Floyd or (gulp) Jim Boylen had been coach. We got Sean Miller. And in year two, we were not only advancing to the Elite Eight, but steamrolling Duke on the way.

Now, 2018-19. There is the season that was last season to process...Book, Bahamas, Schlabach, the triumphant return of Miller, and disappointment in the 1st round. But even more, there are those who feel the program became a "One and Done" environment...despite having 2 juniors, a senior, and a sophomore starting last year. But the whispers...we don't play Miller ball anymore, we just chase stars, etc. Those have been corrosive and may have cost us a coach in part if not for the "scandal".

If this team wins, and often...if they achieve, they will not only bridge the gap of the bullshit of last year, they will offer a bridge to those fans that question Miller's coaching and the program's direction (rightly or wrongly). They will be a "re-emergence", even if there really hasn't been that huge a gap since our last run of success.

I'm down for that.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I know everyone is enchanted by the prospects of playing “the modern game,” but let’s not forget two things: 1) the traditional game got us a couple of bad breaks away from 2 final fours, 2) Jesse Perry—I feel like people forget how painful it was to continually lose a game of inches (as in height). Conversely, we nearly made the Final Four with Derrick Williams as a center. So what to take away from this? One, Miller has played “the modern game” and he has played the traditional game, based on available personnel. He has succeeded with both modes and failed in both modes. It all comes down to quality of personnel, not Miller aiding, abetting or interfering with that personnel.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

gonna suprise
So it's true that PJC was granted a 5th year?!!!
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I know everyone is enchanted by the prospects of playing “the modern game,” but let’s not forget two things: 1) the traditional game got us a couple of bad breaks away from 2 final fours, 2) Jesse Perry—I feel like people forget how painful it was to continually lose a game of inches (as in height). Conversely, we nearly made the Final Four with Derrick Williams as a center. So what to take away from this? One, Miller has played “the modern game” and he has played the traditional game, based on available personnel. He has succeeded with both modes and failed in both modes. It all comes down to quality of personnel, not Miller aiding, abetting or interfering with that personnel.
This.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Going to be real curious how we play it this year. It definitely appears that 2 point guards starting side by side and a more multiple ball handler lineup will be employed from here set forth. Miller is certainly telling every guard recruit that is the plan, so it will be interesting to see how it goes.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I know everyone is enchanted by the prospects of playing “the modern game,” but let’s not forget two things: 1) the traditional game got us a couple of bad breaks away from 2 final fours, 2) Jesse Perry—I feel like people forget how painful it was to continually lose a game of inches (as in height). Conversely, we nearly made the Final Four with Derrick Williams as a center. So what to take away from this? One, Miller has played “the modern game” and he has played the traditional game, based on available personnel. He has succeeded with both modes and failed in both modes. It all comes down to quality of personnel, not Miller aiding, abetting or interfering with that personnel.
Everyone wants to play like the Warriors. If you can't shoot, you play like the Warriors and lose by 40 because you miss tons of threes.

Particularly in CBB, there are many ways to succeed. Last year, we were a poor defensive team. That won't win. I also subscribe to the theory that it doesn't matter what system you run, it matters how well you run it.

My biggest disappointment last year was feeling like no one ever wanted to step up and take personal accountability on D. Forget help, ask for a one on one matchup because you want to lock someone up. That was sorely absent last year. Our best teams have had a guy like Fogg, NJ, AG, TJ or Rondae, guys who would embrace going at someone.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:This team has the chance to be as essential to this program in the rearview as the 1988 team and the 2011 team.

Both established Arizona as a presence nationally.

The 1988 team, obviously, was the first Final Four team, and while Snowden and co had moments, the 1988 team happened in the modern era of the tournament and March Madness. They still are remembered as "the first".

The 2011 team suggested our national relevance did not lie solely with Lute. Despite an awful-for-everybody two year "interim coach" period, those teams somehow made the tournament. Then everyone (virtually) was gone. We almost bungled the hire. Arizona Basketball would not be more than a regional oddity and historical marker if Tim Floyd or (gulp) Jim Boylen had been coach. We got Sean Miller. And in year two, we were not only advancing to the Elite Eight, but steamrolling Duke on the way.

Now, 2018-19. There is the season that was last season to process...Book, Bahamas, Schlabach, the triumphant return of Miller, and disappointment in the 1st round. But even more, there are those who feel the program became a "One and Done" environment...despite having 2 juniors, a senior, and a sophomore starting last year. But the whispers...we don't play Miller ball anymore, we just chase stars, etc. Those have been corrosive and may have cost us a coach in part if not for the "scandal".

If this team wins, and often...if they achieve, they will not only bridge the gap of the bullshit of last year, they will offer a bridge to those fans that question Miller's coaching and the program's direction (rightly or wrongly). They will be a "re-emergence", even if there really hasn't been that huge a gap since our last run of success.

I'm down for that.
Digging the big picture perspective here, EV. Good post.

We are Lazarus, reborn. Miller ball is dead... long live Miller ball.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: My biggest disappointment last year was feeling like no one ever wanted to step up and take personal accountability on D. Forget help, ask for a one on one matchup because you want to lock someone up. That was sorely absent last year. Our best teams have had a guy like Fogg, NJ, AG, TJ or Rondae, guys who would embrace going at someone.
2 years ago too, with Lauri deciding he didn't want to be that guy.

But then again, we had other guys too who wanted to be that guy, like Gabe York, but would end up dribbling the ball off their foot.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'll continue to trumpet the Rockets as a pretty ideal model of the modern game, despite how ugly I think their brand was to watch.

On offense: Four out around a rim attacking center. Set shooters on the perimeter, allow the two guards to iso or use screens to get space or draw the double for a kick out. Switch SG-PF. Have a small ball line-up to throw at the opponent with a thick, quick, bullying center rebounding in the middle, and here switch everything on defense. Houston also employed a traditional lineup with Ryan Anderson as a spacing PF and Nene as a rim guarding C. They were up 3-2 on the Warriors until Chris Paul went out with injury, and they easily won the Western Conference for the 1 seed.

So, the parts that really matter and do we have those things:

* A center who sets screens, hits the boards, and can finish the lob.
** Chase Jeter, who has a 7'2" wingspan and great quickness and timing on his jump to the ball.

* Two ball handling guards who can pass, penetrate, and hit threes. Must be able to run the pick and roll off the big.
** Coleman shot 37% from three last year (and better when assisted). He had a 2.4 A:TO and was very good as a passer in the pick and roll. His size limits him a bit at the rim, but he scores there about as efficiently as Chris Paul (who is similarly sized).
** Williams projects as a solid passer and three point shooter, who has the size, length, and strength to finish at the rim.

* Versatile three point shooting wings
** Randolph / Smith / Akot / AB / DD... here's hoping.

* Small ball bully center
** Lee projects as ideal here, hustling for rebounds, switching and covering space on D.

* Spacing power forward ala Ryan Anderson.
** Ryan Luther is an intelligent passer and a capable three point shooter, knocking down more than 40% from distance in his career at Pitt.

I think we've got the parts to play that game, with their four out line-up, their small ball / switch everything line-up, and their traditional line-up. They often played Harden at the two with CP3 at the one, matching our ability to play Williams and Coleman similarly. Many times they'd rotate those two at the PG position to offer different looks from their lead guard and employ their depth of long, versatile three point shooting wings - we can do that as well.

Of course it seems likely that we'll still play plenty of PG / SG / SF / PF / C traditional ball. But like Choo mentioned: Miller is telling these guys and future recruits like Mannion that he's looking to play more ball handlers at once. He has the capability to play three kinds of line-ups. Unlike the Perry-death-by-inches year, we have a traditional center in Jeter. Unlike other seasons, we have multiple capable ball handlers as well. Hopefully those all play as projected and Miller can choose his style.
EOCT

Post by EOCT »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'll continue to trumpet the Rockets as a pretty ideal model of the modern game, despite how ugly I think their brand was to watch.

On offense: Four out around a rim attacking center. Set shooters on the perimeter, allow the two guards to iso or use screens to get space or draw the double for a kick out. Switch SG-PF. Have a small ball line-up to throw at the opponent with a thick, quick, bullying center rebounding in the middle, and here switch everything on defense. Houston also employed a traditional lineup with Ryan Anderson as a spacing PF and Nene as a rim guarding C. They were up 3-2 on the Warriors until Chris Paul went out with injury, and they easily won the Western Conference for the 1 seed.

So, the parts that really matter and do we have those things:

* A center who sets screens, hits the boards, and can finish the lob.
** Chase Jeter, who has a 7'2" wingspan and great quickness and timing on his jump to the ball.

* Two ball handling guards who can pass, penetrate, and hit threes. Must be able to run the pick and roll off the big.
** Coleman shot 37% from three last year (and better when assisted). He had a 2.4 A:TO and was very good as a passer in the pick and roll. His size limits him a bit at the rim, but he scores there about as efficiently as Chris Paul (who is similarly sized).
** Williams projects as a solid passer and three point shooter, who has the size, length, and strength to finish at the rim.

* Versatile three point shooting wings
** Randolph / Smith / Akot / AB / DD... here's hoping.

* Small ball bully center
** Lee projects as ideal here, hustling for rebounds, switching and covering space on D.

* Spacing power forward ala Ryan Anderson.
** Ryan Luther is an intelligent passer and a capable three point shooter, knocking down more than 40% from distance in his career at Pitt.

I think we've got the parts to play that game, with their four out line-up, their small ball / switch everything line-up, and their traditional line-up. They often played Harden at the two with CP3 at the one, matching our ability to play Williams and Coleman similarly. Many times they'd rotate those two at the PG position to offer different looks from their lead guard and employ their depth of long, versatile three point shooting wings - we can do that as well.

Of course it seems likely that we'll still play plenty of PG / SG / SF / PF / C traditional ball. But like Choo mentioned: Miller is telling these guys and future recruits like Mannion that he's looking to play more ball handlers at once. He has the capability to play three kinds of line-ups. Unlike the Perry-death-by-inches year, we have a traditional center in Jeter. Unlike other seasons, we have multiple capable ball handlers as well. Hopefully those all play as projected and Miller can choose his style.
Nails analysis YDF----thanks!

I'm stoked!
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

As always, take my confidence with a grain of salt. I'm frequently upbeat and frequently wrong.

There are great pieces on the team, and while many have failed to live up to their billing in the past, the roadblocks to their success are no longer present. This is a great landscape for all of these players and from their interviews it sounds like they're aware of the opportunity and "all in" on carving out their roles to the best of their abilities and delivering team success over everything.

The question marks of "can JCole deliver at a high level" and "will BWill step up as a freshman" and "will Chase Jeter be more Semi Ojeleye (great!) or more Derryck Thornton (good God, no!)" and "will rising sophomores flourish without the big usage players of '17-18 in front of them" and "will Ryan Luther remain healthy" ...all of those still exist and if we think we're going to get a resounding "YES!" on every question mark... well then you're in the optimistic boat with me. Sorry, likely "overly optimistic" boat.

It's an exciting group but we need a lot to go right in order to be a strong team.

If Luther isn't healthy then that traditional line-up goes out the window (unless Lee has all of a sudden developed a shooting touch... which, we're already asking for enough here). If Coleman isn't effective at this level then we're thin at PG. If the sophomores aren't hitting their outside shots and playing defense... well fuck, that's likely game over.

I'm forever hopeful, but realistically we'll probably get 3 or 4 of those 5 questions answered as a Yes and the others No or Kinda, along with maybe some tough breaks that we're not even thinking about.

The great thing is that there's plenty to look forward to and plenty to cheer for and we get to watch it play out, starting in three months.

Bear down.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Can't thank you guys enough for your insight and devotion. Helps me appreciate the game all the more.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

I honestly have no idea what to make of this team. Ill be looking forward to Red-Blue, but there are so many questions and so few answers, its hard to get motivated right now. Mainly, because my excitement is circling Sumlin and the football team this year.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
enfuego

Post by enfuego »

There sure are a lot of best case scenarios in this thread. Realistically Arizona is looking at best a 5th place finish in the conference and at worst a 7th place finish. The Pac will probably get at most 3 bids to the dance this year, unless teams surprise, which would leave Arizona out of the tournament.
"Arizona got uppercutted out of the 2018 tournament by No. 13 Buffalo, which delivered one of the most overwhelming, lopsided upsets by a double-digit seed in tournament history (89-68). "
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

enfuego wrote:There sure are a lot of best case scenarios in this thread. Realistically Arizona is looking at best a 5th place finish in the conference and at worst a 7th place finish. The Pac will probably get at most 3 bids to the dance this year, unless teams surprise, which would leave Arizona out of the tournament.
So best case, only like 4-5 points better than KU at Phog? The Pac's 9th place team messed you up good last year, so conservatively, we've got to be at least that much better than the Jayhawks.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

enfuego wrote:There sure are a lot of best case scenarios in this thread. Realistically Arizona is looking at best a 5th place finish in the conference and at worst a 7th place finish. The Pac will probably get at most 3 bids to the dance this year, unless teams surprise, which would leave Arizona out of the tournament.
How cute. March Madness talk in August
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

RichardCranium

Post by RichardCranium »

I'm going Blue this year, its only right.

Go BLUE!
Any sufficiently advanced troll is indistinguishable from a genuine kook.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

RichardCranium wrote:I'm going Blue this year, its only right.

Go BLUE!

I've retired all my red UofA hats until all this MAGA shit is over.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

wow, Omar has some really nice form on those shots. Quick yet smooth, excited to see him play
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS