2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

azcat49

Re: 2018-2019 Arizona Basketball

Post by azcat49 »

That Iowa St win was a really good win. We played well in Maui and our exposed weaknesses can now be addressed to some degree.

Like everyone, I worry about the development of our bench. We need some scoring from them. Hoping DD gets some increased minutes to see if he can ignite some development in others competitively. A little down on Akot. Thought he would be further along by now.

I wonder how we will do in true road games, especially in conference. Right now I have a hard time seeing 12-6 in conference. Thinking more like 10-8 which won't get it done for a bid
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

The one thing that bothered me in Maui outside of course of the putrid bench play, was the lack of team ball being played. The team that was in Maui looked nothing like the team we saw in the first 3 games of the season in regards to offense. It was ugly.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:The one thing that bothered me in Maui outside of course of the putrid bench play, was the lack of team ball being played. The team that was in Maui looked nothing like the team we saw in the first 3 games of the season in regards to offense. It was ugly.
Agreed. That being said, I think people are being way too negative on our Maui performance. We beat the team we needed to beat, and were in tight games with Gonzaga and Auburn (two legit top 10 teams) until the final few minutes. We were up 13 in the second half against the team that just beat Duke...again, I was frustrated by a lot in Maui, particularly bench play, but if Devonaire can become a solid contributor as I think he can, and if we get a bit better production out of either Lee or Luther, this team competes for a PAC title. Think we’ll also be much better off with more time off in between games, as it’s obvious that our starters should all be playing 30+ mins per game. Still cautiously optimistic with this team.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

How does doutrive develop if he doesn’t play?

Anyone know what millers deal is with him? We could of used him brief spells the past two games.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

I think part of the reason we didn't see a ton of assists and the ball moving is even the players know we are struggling to score at too many spots.

I was very disappointed on Luther play on the offensive end. While he didn't force any shots he also didn't find ways to get open and get some shots up. We basically had 3.5 half scorers
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

CalStateTempe wrote:How does doutrive develop if he doesn’t play?

Anyone know what millers deal is with him? We could of used him brief spells the past two games.
His defense is just really behind at the moment. There's no lack of effort or anything, it's just a lack of familiarity with the system and its concepts. Miller is definitely going to have his hand forced and will have to deal with Doutrive having lapses on defense because the rest of the bench players are so bad.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

This same shit happens every year because the pack line seems to be complicated for most freshman.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

CSM has said that Doutrive needs to get bigger and stronger. That will have to come with a year with the UA strength coach.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:CSM has said that Doutrive needs to get bigger and stronger. That will have to come with a year with the UA strength coach.
There are guys ahead of him who aren't big or strong enough either. It's a BS excuse.
prh

Post by prh »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Merkin wrote:CSM has said that Doutrive needs to get bigger and stronger. That will have to come with a year with the UA strength coach.
There are guys ahead of him who aren't big or strong enough either. It's a BS excuse.
I think it's more a PR excuse. Better than saying DD sucks at defense or doesn't understand defense.

Not trying to debate you specifically, just my perception of it.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

prh wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I think it's more a PR excuse. Better than saying DD sucks at defense or doesn't understand defense.

Not trying to debate you specifically, just my perception of it.
Oh no debate here, you nailed it brother.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

Is it a question of end goals: what long-term potential is more optimisable given what mid-term sacrifice is necessary. Can our starting five improve enough to get us a dance card without giving up too much in PT to improving the bench, or will limiting the top five players' development in favor of bench development give next year's talented starting five a better chance at a FF.
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
dcZONAfan

Post by dcZONAfan »

RawleArenas wrote:
dcZONAfan wrote:
RawleArenas wrote:I stand by my analysis. Perkins is hit and miss and Geno Crandall is not a good second option. Norvell is a streaky shooter who had a great game.They have depth. But if a good team runs with our first half blueprint and supersizes it, I can see them running into some problems. Duke plays young, and is not used to being challenged.

In short, the Zags have great pieces and they played a great game against Duke. But there are a lot of teams that have more experience than talent in addition to depth that can challenge the Zags.

I just don't get carried away with popular opinions on teams, I try to look at them objectively.
Did you not watch the Illini game and come away feeling unimpressed?
You have a clear bias against Gonzaga. If you have come away from this weekend doubting them because Illinois mucked it up against them and we had a good half against them, instead of focusing on how dominant they were in our second half and, frankly, for 35 minutes against Duke, then that's your prerogative. But I won't make that mistake
Ok, if you want to block out the sun with your middle finger, be my guest. If Chase hadn't fouled out and we had just an average bench, they would have lost. And that's with an unproven, raw team. I think there's a better place for you and your appreciation of the Zags: http://www.slipperstillfits.com" target="_blank. Enjoy!
Sure thing, guy who has made 20 posts, none of which make any sense, many of which have been flat out hilariously wrong ('Akot could be our best player, guys!")

I think I'll stay right here and keep laughing at everything you say
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

We could always be UCLA. Count your Thanksgiving blessings. :shock: :roll:
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

zonagrad wrote:Miller's quote following Auburn loss in Maui: “We haven't tried Devonaire Doutrive, who I would say is our ninth or tenth guy and I think it's up to us to get him in the game now, give him a try. And sometimes a young guy like that will come in with confidence and maybe bolster what we have.”

Can't be any worse than watching Dylan Smith.
That’s what he said about the Tree.
prh

Post by prh »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:We could always be UCLA. Count your Thanksgiving blessings. :shock: :roll:
Getting decimated right now
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

The Godfather is on AMC right now
loomer

Post by loomer »

ChooChooCat wrote:The one thing that bothered me in Maui outside of course of the putrid bench play, was the lack of team ball being played. The team that was in Maui looked nothing like the team we saw in the first 3 games of the season in regards to offense. It was ugly.
3 assists against Gonzaga, only 9 and 10 respectively against ISU and Auburn. We're now 323rd in the country in Assists / FGM. That is not a recipe for having a good offense.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Part of it is lack of team ball and part of it is that the only player who can consistently hit shots is our point guard.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Coleman is high useage, so is Williams, Randolph less

the starting five is solid, everything else sucks so far.

im worried about the back half of conf play, especially on the road.

Arizona might struggle to find its fitness down the line.

Coleman and Williams are fun players tho
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Bordercat wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Postmaster wrote:Can Miller find a 6’10” Serb that can transfer here in January?
Stone Gettings technically is eligible in January, but Miller isn't going to waste him on this season.

Miller has to land another trustworthy big to bring in for next year though. Gettings and Jeter will be fine, but there's no way he can trust Lee as his primary fill in.
Why wait? We have a good team.

Akot isn't ready apparently. Until he can hit a jumper he's not helping us. Akot has an NBA body but outside of that he doesn't appear to know the game of basketball. I would encourage him to transfer. Scrap it and end this project.

Smith- bench him. Make him mad. Play Dourtrive over him. He will stew on the bench and maybe come in less scared and timid but with something to prove. Maybe surprise us later in the season.

Lee- Love his effort and hustle but he just doesn't really appear to have a position. Stuck between a guard and a big. We need him regardless.

Barcello needs more than two minutes- he is a better version of BLav. Remember we all knew what a great shooter he was but until coach gave him reps he didn't start hitting. In my mind Barcello is the one player of these three that will pan out.

Dourtive- bring him on. Get him acclimated.
You could waste the remainder of Stone's eligibility on half a season where the NCAA tournament doesn't even appear within grasp at the moment, or you can use him next year on a team where you add Two McDonald's All Americans in Green and Mannion along with another solid piece in Armstrong to go with the remainder of players who can consistently contribute now a la Williams, Jeter, and maybe Randolph. Would you rather utilize the guy on this year's team, which even if every thing goes right and we sneak in the tourney the final outcome won't be grand, or utilize the guy on a team that can compete for a final four? Another thing to think about is unless Zeke Nnaji gives us good news tomorrow, we have a Chase Jeter, Ira Lee, and a big who will need some development in Koloko as the only posts on next year's team. We could of course play the grad transfer lottery, but you never know what you're going to get with that.

What's funny is you start off by saying we have a good team and then dissect every single guy on the bench and the best thing you can say about any of them is that one of them is a version of Blav. Yeah...
1=worst 5=best off the bench

1 Akot
2 Smith
3 Lee
4 Barcello
5 Doutrive

as others have said our starting 5 are good.

3,4 and 5 above can contribute... maybe 2 if he can ever get right mentally. IMO 1 aint happening.

One good big off the bench could really help this team. Went toe to toe with #1 and #8 in the country.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

97cats wrote:Coleman is high useage, so is Williams, Randolph less

the starting five is solid, everything else sucks so far.

im worried about the back half of conf play, especially on the road.

Arizona might struggle to find its fitness down the line.

Coleman and Williams are fun players tho
This might sound bad, but I really don’t care much about this year anymore. We aren’t winning a national championship so major goal is just making the tourney. This team probably is vastly different next year as I see Coleman, Luther, and Randolph all gone along with a good portion of our bench with Barcelo and Akot transferring and maybe Smith if he is a grad transfer. Seeing the development of Williams is really the only thing that excites me about this team. Also knowing the sick class we have coming in I can’t help but look ahead.

It would be different if all these guys would be coming back but they aren’t so just kind of feels like a stop over year sort of like a couple years back when we had all seniors with York, Zeus, etc

Given everything that happened to us just feels like this is a year that will be quickly forgotten again like that 2016 team. Especially knowing how much talent is coming in next year

I obviously want us to win but just feels like we don’t have the talent to be a serious contender and it’s not a team that is going to build off itself.

The losses to Gonzaga and auburn were the least upset I have been at an Arizona basketball loss maybe ever
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Bordercat

Post by Bordercat »

I think winning the Pac 12 is a realistic goal and I'm in for the ride.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bordercat wrote:I think winning the Pac 12 is a realistic goal and I'm in for the ride.
UCLA and Oregon have the best rosters, and Altman is obviously the better coach. Gonna give the Ducks the benefit of any doubt. After these two, I'd say the next tier is ASU, UW and AZ. Maybe Colorado and USC join the race.

There are still quite a few big OOC games for Pac teams: USC/Nevada, USC/TCU, ASU/Nevada, ASU/Kansas, UCLA/Ohio St, UW/Zaga, AZ/UConn, Utah/UK...and I've probably overlooked a few. These games will go a long way in determining how many Pac teams get into the tourney. UCLA didn't do the league any favors this week.

But as for the Pac race, a league title this year would have to go down as among Miller's greatest achievements at AZ. Our team has no bench, very little size, and we are heavily reliant on several first-time starters and first-year players. It's a little hard to imagine this team posting, say, 14 Pac wins, which is probably around how many this year's champ will have. I'll say AZ goes 12-6 in the Pac. Our tourney hopes will depend largely on the remainder of our OOC schedule. Can't afford too many losses before the Pac schedule begins.
cats101

Post by cats101 »

I've seen pretty much everyone play and the CATS have a shot. Not overly impressed with anyone, not even Oregon. The problem will be depth, I think.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

cats101 wrote:I've seen pretty much everyone play and the CATS have a shot. Not overly impressed with anyone, not even Oregon. The problem will be depth, I think.
Yep. All it takes is foul trouble or (God forbid) an injury, and we're sorta screwed. It's disheartening that Barcello, Akot and Smith haven't improved. Wasn't Akot a 5-star??!
MC1983

Post by MC1983 »

Beachcat97 wrote:
cats101 wrote:I've seen pretty much everyone play and the CATS have a shot. Not overly impressed with anyone, not even Oregon. The problem will be depth, I think.
Yep. All it takes is foul trouble or (God forbid) an injury, and we're sorta screwed. It's disheartening that Barcello, Akot and Smith haven't improved. Wasn't Akot a 5-star??!
Barcello has the best shot supposedly, but can’t make it happen in game. Akot needs to quit holding back when he has the opportunity to drive. Like Miller told him on a fast break either drive to the hoop or pull up at the three. Don’t hold up letting the defense catch up and than shoot a mid range shot. Smith I’m tired of him and wish DD was taking his minutes.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

After the nut-punch that was the football season, i don't think basketball is going to provide the relief it has in the past, and that makes me :(
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Arizona is ranked #33 in the NCAAs NET ranking. Blowing out cupcakes is better since it's not adjusted
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

PieceOfMeat wrote:After the nut-punch that was the football season, i don't think basketball is going to provide the relief it has in the past, and that makes me :(
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Not exactly a murderer's row here so far:

The presumptive challengers:

Oregon (4-2):

Texas So. 89 - #18 Oregon 84
Iowa 77 - #13 Oregon 69

UCLA (4-2):

#11 MSU 87 – #17 UCLA 67
#7 UNC 94 - #17 UCLA 78

USC (4-2):

Vanderbilt 82 – USC 78
Texas Tech 78 – USC 63

Washington (4-2):

Auburn 88 – #18 UW 66
Minnesota 68 – UW 66
(3 point win over USD not a loss, but c’mon. Also overcame a 13 pt deficit to nip an awful Texas A&M, who is 1-4 on the year, having lost to Cal-Irvine.)

Is ASU the mighty November/December savior of the PAC-12 again? They beat a ranked Mississippi St. team. They also went 2 overtimes with Cal State-Fullerton. But they are undefeated.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Yeah looks like yet again, PAC 12 teams have lost to almost every good team they've played.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Yeah looks like yet again, PAC 12 teams have lost to almost every good team they've played.
Oregon did beat Syracuse. That's probably the best OOC win so far.

UConn looks decent, and we could help ourselves with a W there.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Anyone feeling good about winning @UConn? It’s an early tip time, after the time zone change. It would do wonders for our postseason hopes.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Here's how I see the season playing out. (The UConn win is more of hope that Arizona wins). Also I didn't really mess with the current t-rank # of 54.

Gives Arizona a record of 23-8 (12-6) [not counting conference tournament sim]

Quadrant Records:
  • Quadrant 1: 6-7
    Quadrant 2: 3-1
    Quadrant 3: 8-0
    Quadrant 4: 6-0
NCAA tournament generated as a #9 seed.

----

My first thought after going through and picking W/L for every game is that win total at the end seems kinda high and the NCAA bid seems doubtful. Although the top line quadrant W/L is decent and Auburn/Gonzaga should help out the SOS, but who knows how many high quality wins there are in the conference.

Arizona is also the #33 ranked team in the NCAAs new NET ranking, which should help if the ranking system keeps liking Arizona.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Being able to win the rest of our OOC games like that would make me think we're in a good place relative to the tournament. Drop a couple and uh oh.

I see UConn like ISU. It's the sort of game that makes the difference for a bubble team. Teams on the right side of the bubble win, teams that lose find themselves out.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone feeling good about winning @UConn? It’s an early tip time, after the time zone change. It would do wonders for our postseason hopes.
Not worried about that game in the slightest
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

PHXCATS wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Anyone feeling good about winning @UConn? It’s an early tip time, after the time zone change. It would do wonders for our postseason hopes.
I've seen UCONN play a couple of times and they are much better under Hurley compared to the past few years under Kevin Ollie. It will be a sell out crowd at the Xcel center in Hartford so this will be our first real road game of the year.

Not sure how this team will respond in a hostile environment yet so yeah I am worried.

I will be in attendance - anyone else going?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Luther had a hand injury in Maui:

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/basketbal ... bfiuXRaKxs" target="_blank
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

EastCoastCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:
I've seen UCONN play a couple of times and they are much better under Hurley compared to the past few years under Kevin Ollie. It will be a sell out crowd at the Xcel center in Hartford so this will be our first real road game of the year.

Not sure how this team will respond in a hostile environment yet so yeah I am worried.

I'll be there! I somehow convinced my wife, who is from Connecticut and grew up a UConn fan, to fly from AZ for this game (and wear her Wildcats gear).

Are there any good craft breweries near the arena? We're staying walking distance from there so I'd love to find a good pregame spot, especially if there will be other Wildcats in attendance. BEAR DOWN!
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

Merkin wrote:Luther had a hand injury in Maui:

That explains a lot. With him, one of those games very well could have been a win
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I see UConn like ISU. It's the sort of game that makes the difference for a bubble team. Teams on the right side of the bubble win, teams that lose find themselves out.
Completely agree. You can lose to Auburn and Gonzaga and it's NBD, but if you're not picking up wins over ISU and UConn (and Baylor) in the non-conf, then that's what would put Arizona on the wrong side of the bubble.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Jefe wrote:
Merkin wrote:Luther had a hand injury in Maui:

That explains a lot. With him, one of those games very well could have been a win
Agreed - was very surprised to see him fail to deliver in the final two after being aggressive in the game against Iowa State.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I see UConn like ISU. It's the sort of game that makes the difference for a bubble team. Teams on the right side of the bubble win, teams that lose find themselves out.
Completely agree. You can lose to Auburn and Gonzaga and it's NBD, but if you're not picking up wins over ISU and UConn (and Baylor) in the non-conf, then that's what would put Arizona on the wrong side of the bubble.
Yep. I think a win over Zaga or Auburn would've bought us some slack in these remaining OOC games. Much less margin for error now. Really gotta run the table the rest of the way before Pac play starts.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Just love these coaches corner clips
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Luuuuuuuute wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

I'll be there! I somehow convinced my wife, who is from Connecticut and grew up a UConn fan, to fly from AZ for this game (and wear her Wildcats gear).

Are there any good craft breweries near the arena? We're staying walking distance from there so I'd love to find a good pregame spot, especially if there will be other Wildcats in attendance. BEAR DOWN!
There's a couple of craft breweries in Hartford although I live on the shoreline.

City Steam I think is the closest to Xcel but remember it's a 1:00pm tip-off. I hear the NYC and Boston Wildcat club is holding an event there Sunday morning but I think tickets are sold out.
Luuuuuuuute

Post by Luuuuuuuute »

EastCoastCat wrote:
Luuuuuuuute wrote:
EastCoastCat wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:

There's a couple of craft breweries in Hartford although I live on the shoreline.

City Steam I think is the closest to Xcel but remember it's a 1:00pm tip-off. I hear the NYC and Boston Wildcat club is holding an event there Sunday morning but I think tickets are sold out.
Thanks for the info! I just checked the Beantown Cats FB page and it is sold out. But as luck would have it, we're staying at the Residence Inn where City Steam is!

I figured we'd pregame at City Steam anyway, unless there was a place with better atmosphere, so thanks for making our decision for us! We'll just have to see if we can at least join the party, even if we don't get to partake in a breakfast buffet :).

BEAR DOWN!
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

georgia southern game thread is up
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update: