if Miller leaves the coach I want is...

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Bordercat

if Miller leaves the coach I want is...

Post by Bordercat »

Greg Marshall. If not him then nobody else but Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Re: if Miller leaves the coach I want is...

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

https://www.newyorker.com/news/sporting ... powerhouse" target="_blank

For a midmajor, Marshall is extremely, extremely difficult to pry away.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

Can't believe I am saying this, but what about Huggins? Guaranteed not to have a soft team. Not sure he would come out west though.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

I love HuggieBear's style of play. But honestly, is UA an attractive destination compared to WVU right now?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Marshall, no.

Let’s get an AZ guy this time.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Sean Miller
Chris Beard (If Miller leaves on his own) (Might not come with the uncertainty)
Eric Musselman (If Miller leaves on his own) (Might not come with the uncertainty)
Matt Brase (If Miller leaves on his own)
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

phenom5 wrote:I love HuggieBear's style of play. But honestly, is UA an attractive destination compared to WVU right now?
He might feel like he could dominate this conference. He wouldn't have to compete with KU every year. And a rabid fan base
cats101

Post by cats101 »

You think at 64, Bob Thuggins is going to leave his alma mater for Arizona?

At this point, if it were to happen, I'm not sure who Arizona could attract that wouldn't probably be a risk? Not many names come to mind as a real possibility.
HibachiZero

Post by HibachiZero »

cats101 wrote:You think at 64, Bob Thuggins is going to leave his alma mater for Arizona?
Ha. No. Point taken
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

You don't want Marshall.

Chris Beard
Eric Musselman
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

I like how you can tell who the idiots are by calling for a UofA guy. There's no one good enough, or available, or capable, or qualified for the Arizona job except Josh Pastner that is a Arizona guy.

Personally I would go after Hoiberg if he's fired, he's still only 45.
Last edited by NYCat on Fri Mar 16, 2018 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:I like how you can tell who the idiots are by calling for a UofA guy. There's no one good enough, or available, or capable, or qualified for the Arizona job except Josh Pastner.

I'd be down for Hoiberg as well.
Gladiator Cat

Post by Gladiator Cat »

NYCat there is some serious delusion in our fan-base. Outside of Kerr and Walton who both will never come back to Arizona and coach the college game.

There is not a UofA BB alum that I would even consider as HC material at this stage.

But some fans want to double down on a rolling shitfest and hire an unqualified alum........boy that'll be the ticket.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

NYCat wrote:I like how you can tell who the idiots are by calling for a UofA guy. There's no one good enough, or available, or capable, or qualified for the Arizona job except Josh Pastner that is a Arizona guy.

You think Josh Pastner is capable or qualified for Arizona? Damn, we have fallen really, really far.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

What about Dan Majerle? Not sure he is a good coach but thought I'd bring him up.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

Hoping that history might just repeat itself I might be inclined to go to the same place that produced our first big time basketball coach and hire assistant coach Saddi Washington from the University of Michigan. The guy is working for the most respected (as voted anonymously by his peers) coach in D1 basketball. It is highly unlikely that there would be any scandals popping up from his past if he is working for Beilein. Might be a whole lot better than some of the usual retreads bandied about in many of these discussions.
SunnyAZ

Post by SunnyAZ »

KaibabKat wrote:Hoping that history might just repeat itself I might be inclined to go to the same place that produced our first big time basketball coach and hire assistant coach Saddi Washington from the University of Michigan. The guy is working for the most respected (as voted anonymously by his peers) coach in D1 basketball. It is highly unlikely that there would be any scandals popping up from his past if he is working for Beilein. Might be a whole lot better than some of the usual retreads bandied about in many of these discussions.
I was gonna bring this idea up. Not the specific person but the idea. Assistant coaches get jobs all the time in the NBA but I feel like big time colleges always go for reruns or the high level mid-major route.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
NYCat wrote:I like how you can tell who the idiots are by calling for a UofA guy. There's no one good enough, or available, or capable, or qualified for the Arizona job except Josh Pastner that is a Arizona guy.

You think Josh Pastner is capable or qualified for Arizona? Damn, we have fallen really, really far.
He is capable and qualifed in the sense that he's ran a Division 1 program in a major conference and has been able to recruit before. Whether he'd be good at Arizona is a different question, and the answer is obvious.
phenom5

Post by phenom5 »

I would take Hoiberg, and lock him up with a long of a contract that he would sign. I think he would absolutely kill it in Tucson. I also don't see him coming to UA, unless he's fired, I guess.
Other than that, I would probably go:

Sean Miller
Chris Beard
Eric Musselman
loomer

Post by loomer »

I like Hoiberg, but I think it's very unlikely he comes back to college. The guy loathes the recruiting world
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

TONY BENNETT
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
MountainCat

Post by MountainCat »

pc in NM wrote:TONY BENNETT
:lol: :lol:

The truth is he may be looking for another job soon as he will probably be run out of town now.
No Bandwagon Here! Always a Cat!
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

In his Iowa State days, Hoiberg was referred to by some as the modern day Lute Olson due to the way his offense played.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Tony Bennett!!!
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Tony Bennett!!!
He'd be an awesome D/c.
TheBuffet

Post by TheBuffet »

SunnyAZ wrote:
KaibabKat wrote:Hoping that history might just repeat itself I might be inclined to go to the same place that produced our first big time basketball coach and hire assistant coach Saddi Washington from the University of Michigan. The guy is working for the most respected (as voted anonymously by his peers) coach in D1 basketball. It is highly unlikely that there would be any scandals popping up from his past if he is working for Beilein. Might be a whole lot better than some of the usual retreads bandied about in many of these discussions.
I was gonna bring this idea up. Not the specific person but the idea. Assistant coaches get jobs all the time in the NBA but I feel like big time colleges always go for reruns or the high level mid-major route.
I think the difference is recruiting, no GMs.
TheBuffet

Post by TheBuffet »

Gladiator Cat wrote:NYCat there is some serious delusion in our fan-base. Outside of Kerr and Walton who both will never come back to Arizona and coach the college game.

There is not a UofA BB alum that I would even consider as HC material at this stage.

But some fans want to double down on a rolling shitfest and hire an unqualified alum........boy that'll be the ticket.
Kerr might be a possibility, eventually, Golden State is starting to wear down. Question is if he'd ever coach college, I think he's made some comments in the past that its not his thing.
elriop20

Post by elriop20 »

Altman wouldn't be a bad choice, he can recruit and coach with the best of them. We would have less pac 12 championships, but more final fours.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I still think that 2-3 years of tubby wouldn't be bad.
If we are following theory that it's the coach that replaces the Coach
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

No to Altman, he's an excellent coach and has done wonders at Oregon. But I feel like he gives me the heeby jeebies and might even put us in a worse spot when all is said and done.

This is out of left field but I like Chris Mooney from Richmond as a bridge coach. Excellent character and a good recruiter and coach for the resources he has.

If not I also like Lute's grandson(?) That coached the Rockets G-League affiliate.
SteveKerrsStroke

Post by SteveKerrsStroke »

Postmaster wrote:I still think that 2-3 years of tubby wouldn't be bad.
If we are following theory that it's the coach that replaces the Coach
No God p!ease no, anything except a proven failed retread
pdx123

Post by pdx123 »

Chris Mooney runs what appears to be a clean program, but Richmond had a terrible year. This move would be great PR, sending the signal that AZ is cleaning house (which some will interpret as an admission that things are dirty).

I'd go for Shaka Smart. Good first year at Texas, bad second year, but he bounced back his third. Still a work in progress but he could be interesting.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Altman? Lol why would he leave nike town for a rival? Plus, pretty damn good recruiting class incoming.

Kerr? Lol said he would never coach college. Warriors to wildcats not a step up, major step down.

Shaka ain't leaving Texas at this point. No way.

Okay folks... and why not...

Rick Pitino. Said he will clear his name and hand over all documents and transcripts. No doubt he wants to go out on top and in a clean fashion. Give him 5-7 years to recruit and final four then he retires. Obviously admin won't do it with current scandals, but never know.

Sean Miller. May be that Arizona needs him as much as Miller needs Arizona. Especially after admin backed him. Otherwise, could see him take a break for a few years to recharge with family. Miller to Pitt next year would seem like a middle finger to "the best fans in the nation".

Past Arizona players - the game has changed since they played. Maybe Miles Simon is interesting, but don't see him going 110% and nasty, that's needed to win.
JW_in_Boston

Post by JW_in_Boston »

Cal. Seriously yall are looking nc state like here. We have a program that just got embarrassed, might be getting massive sanctions and running our coach out. Yet we're going to lure a young coach from another really good top tier program to come here from Oregon or Texas. Yeah, good luck with that. Somewhat realistic choices only IMHO and that's why even if I'm not sure he's our guy, I think miller is our Mr right now.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Reggie Theus?
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

Eric Musselman
Miles Simon
Damon Stoudamire
Dan Majerle
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

CatnapTom wrote:Eric Musselman
Miles Simon
Damon Stoudamire
Dan Majerle
What about Miles or Damon would make them a successful coach at a program like this?
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
CatnapTom

Post by CatnapTom »

ASUHATER! wrote:
CatnapTom wrote:Eric Musselman
Miles Simon
Damon Stoudamire
Dan Majerle
What about Miles or Damon would make them a successful coach at a program like this?
Both appear to have solid recruiting foundations , Simon with his AAU and USA basketball backround and
Damon with his northwest connections and current base in cali.

They both have NBA coaching experience and are a direct tie to the glory years of Lute.

Plus let's face it, Arizona will not be an attractive job to anyone while the FBI and subsequent NCAA
investigations and their outcome hang over the programs head.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

What does having ties to Lute have to do with being a good head coach? Big no thank you on any alumni coaching us not named Kerr, and we all know that will never ever happen.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
dovecanyoncat

Post by dovecanyoncat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Tony Bennett!!!
I'd much rather have Mark Few. By the way, why is he so enamored of Spokane? Spokane is like Kalispell, Montana without the glamor. ;)
“Conservatism consists of exactly one proposition …There must be in-groups whom the law protects but does not bind, alongside out-groups whom the law binds but does not protect.”

~ Wilhoit's Law
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

Ohio State fired Matta and is back in the tournament the next season with Holtmann. We could turn around pretty fast even with a postseason ban and scholarship restrictions for a couple years.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

TatetheGreat wrote:Ohio State fired Matta and is back in the tournament the next season with Holtmann. We could turn around pretty fast even with a postseason ban and scholarship restrictions for a couple years.
And for the record, I don't expect Miller to be fired but he could resign. My pick would be Matt Brase or another young coach with a good track record. I'm not sure Musselman would come here right now.
Bosy Billups

Post by Bosy Billups »

Miller is staying. /Thread
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

I would want Billy Donovan, knowing that it would never happen. The reality is that if Miller leaves with the FBI investigation unresolved, which also means potential NCAA sanctions unresolved, no noteworthy coach is going to touch this job.
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

TatetheGreat wrote:
TatetheGreat wrote:Ohio State fired Matta and is back in the tournament the next season with Holtmann. We could turn around pretty fast even with a postseason ban and scholarship restrictions for a couple years.
And for the record, I don't expect Miller to be fired but he could resign. My pick would be Matt Brase or another young coach with a good track record. I'm not sure Musselman would come here right now.
I had been think maybe you went to ASU but even that was an overestimation... Ar you an SCC Artichoke alum?

Matt Brase ROTFLMFAO
Harvey Specter

Post by Harvey Specter »

People want to fire Miller, and these are the names people come up with?

Pitino would be a great choice. Tubby, too. And virtually every other joke that people names without intending to be funny. Shaka? Yeah, he has really transitioned well to P5.

Hoiberg sound interesting if he would come. Otherwise? Umm, no.

Huggins? Reminds me a lot of another former WVU coach we hired except that he doesn't completely suck in terms of W's and L's.

Wow
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Brase is on a good track to be a really good coach. Miller should be the coach next year to fix this thing but if he leaves it won't be easy to replace him. Brase maybe a few years early to the party but not the worst idea ever
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Miller isn’t going anywhere, so yeah, I’m good with shutting this thread down or at least re-titling it.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Yeah lock the thread because for now it sounds like Miller is the coach.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

CLICK!

(Thats The sound of a lock)
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.