Nico Mannion

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Chicat

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by Chicat »

97cats wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:http://www.beardownwildcats.com/posting ... 8&p=382465#

Here’s a fun one for you, 97: Nico is the best freshman PG coming into the Pac since __________.
Jason Terry
Now you're just trying to get people all riled up... :lol:
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Only video I could find of the Nike hoop summit

97cats

Post by 97cats »

Chicat wrote:
Now you're just trying to get people all riled up... :lol:
ive got a case of the mundays...
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Greatest Ginger of all time?
Chase Budinger says hi.
Nico seems to have that Larry Bird F You drive that Chase could only access after getting face stomped.
Main Event

Post by Main Event »

2020 NBA mock draft: New top three prospects, latest intel

6. WAS Nico Mannion Arizona 6-3 PG 18.1
Nico Mannion | 6-3 | PG | Arizona

Mannion helped himself as much as any other player in the class with his showings at McDonald's and Hoop Summit, making a strong case as the top PG. According to our database, going back to 1995, Mannion's single-game performance for the World team was the best the event has seen from an international player in Hoop Summit history, breaking Dirk Nowitzki's record in 1998.

Mannion demonstrated an ideal blend of scoring and passing from a modern guard, knocking down deep jumpers while proving capable of getting into the paint and finishing creatively around the rim. He is already extremely advanced operating out of ball screens, changing speeds instinctively and using well-timed bounce passes or lobs while seeing both sides of the floor. He plays with toughness and intelligence, which his teammates respect.

Mannion will need to continue to work on his body and maximize his athleticism to maintain this lofty projection, as he isn't blessed with prototypical physical tools for a NBA point guard with his negative wingspan and 179-pound frame. He struggled at times defensively and can't always get by better defenders one-on-one, things that will be tested more in college. -- Givony

13. MIA Josh Green Arizona 6-5 SG 18.4
Josh Green | 6-6 | SG/SF | Arizona

Green was inconsistent on the all-star circuit, scoring 13 points on 17 field goal attempts in 41 minutes at the McDonald's and Hoop Summit games combined. Green told us he was battling an illness in Atlanta and suffered a shoulder injury early in the game in Portland, but he did have some impressive moments in practice, plus an MVP showing at the Geico Nationals in between, helping IMG Academy win its first national championship.

Green has too much going for him from a talent standpoint not to think of him as a one-and-done prospect. He's extremely gifted physically, standing 6-6 with a 6-10 wingspan and impressive athleticism, and he shows enough versatility as a passer, ball handler, shooter and defender to bet on his trajectory. He's a talent in the open floor with his impressive combination of explosiveness and body control, bringing the tools to guard multiple positions as well.

Green's jumper will clearly be his swing skill, an area he's struggled with over the past few weeks. His release is fairly stiff and on the slower side, and he struggles to make shots when closely contested, especially off the dribble. Green's ability to affect the game in other ways on nights when his shot isn't falling will help determine how high he gets picked, and he's walking into a good situation at Arizona alongside AAU teammate Nico Mannion. He should make an immediate impact. -- Givony
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_ ... test-intel" target="_blank
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Nico and JG are obviously expected to show their pro potential immediately next year. But...highlight videos from HS and all star games mean nothing. These two need to show that they can put up good numbers vs. Pac 12 competition.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Here's The Athletic's Sam Vecenie on Mannion's 2020 draft position:

11. Nico Mannion

6-3 guard, Pinnacle High School (Phoenix, AZ). Committed to Arizona

I’ll be honest: I wasn’t the biggest believer in Mannion prior to this month. It’s not that I thought he was a bad player or anything, I just wasn’t sure I saw the one-and-done potential that some did. And at McDonald’s, I thought it took him some time to figure out how to attack against length and elite athletes. But here’s the thing: Mannion is an incredibly smart player. So once he showed up to Hoop Summit about two weeks later, it was clear he had figured some things out. What followed in the practices and games was Mannion morphing into the week’s top performer, consistently playing with terrific pace and poise.

Unsurprisingly, Mannion’s skill level is incredibly high. He can hit shots from all three levels, and has a terrific in-between game. I worry about finishing at the basket for a player who isn’t quite as explosive as some other lead guards, but it’s possible that his floater game can help him make up for it. The real place where he excels is running the show as a point guard, though. He is a terrific passer who can drop dimes all over the floor to teammates for efficient shots. Arizona fans are going to love having him next season after the team’s offense plummeted toward the bottom of the Pac-12 this past season in large part due to a lack of cerebral point guard play. I now expect that Mannion will be a one-and-done.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

...and Green:

14. Josh Green

6-5 wing, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL). Committed to Arizona

The key word with Green is athleticism. Standing 6-5 with a plus-six wingspan, Green is all sorts of springy. He uses it to tremendous effect in the open floor, where he can beat everyone down the floor and finishes far above the rim. In the halfcourt, Green is definitely still just a slasher. He has a great first step and the ability to blow by defenders in a straight line, but doesn’t have much in the way of wiggle. But he plays hard and has great feel, allowing him to be productive despite not necessarily being the most skilled guy at this stage of his development. Defensively, he uses his frame and quickness well, and consistently creates action plays to get out on the break in transition.

The key with Green long-term is going to be the jump shot. Can he consistently knock down the 3-point ball? With his current mechanics, I’m pretty skeptical. His right elbow comes out to a pretty significant level, and he almost shoots it from right in front of his face. It’s also a pretty slow release. His touch isn’t bad, and the jumper has improved a lot from when he was younger; it’s just not to a place where he’s going to be a difference maker yet. If he can overhaul his mechanics a bit and get the jumper to a sound place, he has the potential to rise into the top-10. I feel more comfortable with him around here for now, though.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Here's The Athletic's Sam Vecenie on Mannion's 2020 draft position:

11. Nico Mannion

6-3 guard, Pinnacle High School (Phoenix, AZ). Committed to Arizona

I’ll be honest: I wasn’t the biggest believer in Mannion prior to this month. It’s not that I thought he was a bad player or anything, I just wasn’t sure I saw the one-and-done potential that some did. And at McDonald’s, I thought it took him some time to figure out how to attack against length and elite athletes. But here’s the thing: Mannion is an incredibly smart player. So once he showed up to Hoop Summit about two weeks later, it was clear he had figured some things out. What followed in the practices and games was Mannion morphing into the week’s top performer, consistently playing with terrific pace and poise.

Unsurprisingly, Mannion’s skill level is incredibly high. He can hit shots from all three levels, and has a terrific in-between game. I worry about finishing at the basket for a player who isn’t quite as explosive as some other lead guards, but it’s possible that his floater game can help him make up for it. The real place where he excels is running the show as a point guard, though. He is a terrific passer who can drop dimes all over the floor to teammates for efficient shots. Arizona fans are going to love having him next season after the team’s offense plummeted toward the bottom of the Pac-12 this past season in large part due to a lack of cerebral point guard play. I now expect that Mannion will be a one-and-done.
The bolded...that's why I've been so hyped about Nico. He's always had the IQ and skills, and his body has grown to allow him to express them. He knows how to play the game and should be very easy to play with.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:...and Green:

14. Josh Green

6-5 wing, IMG Academy (Bradenton, FL). Committed to Arizona

The key word with Green is athleticism. Standing 6-5 with a plus-six wingspan, Green is all sorts of springy. He uses it to tremendous effect in the open floor, where he can beat everyone down the floor and finishes far above the rim. In the halfcourt, Green is definitely still just a slasher. He has a great first step and the ability to blow by defenders in a straight line, but doesn’t have much in the way of wiggle. But he plays hard and has great feel, allowing him to be productive despite not necessarily being the most skilled guy at this stage of his development. Defensively, he uses his frame and quickness well, and consistently creates action plays to get out on the break in transition.

The key with Green long-term is going to be the jump shot. Can he consistently knock down the 3-point ball? With his current mechanics, I’m pretty skeptical. His right elbow comes out to a pretty significant level, and he almost shoots it from right in front of his face. It’s also a pretty slow release. His touch isn’t bad, and the jumper has improved a lot from when he was younger; it’s just not to a place where he’s going to be a difference maker yet. If he can overhaul his mechanics a bit and get the jumper to a sound place, he has the potential to rise into the top-10. I feel more comfortable with him around here for now, though.
The bolded is why I've said Green reminds me functionally of Rondae. Athleticism, motor, length, needs the consistent J to really make the jump to star.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Next season can't get here fast enough.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Arizona Basketball: Nico Mannion named to Bob Cousy Award watch list

Arizona Basketball five-star incoming freshman Nico Mannion was named to the Bob Cousy Award watch list.

One of two incoming five-star players for Arizona Basketball, Nico Mannion is going to be a major force to be reckoned with next season. So much so that he has been named to the Bob Cousy Award watch list. This award is given by the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame to the top point guard in the country in college basketball. For a freshman to make that lists says a lot about how good Mannion really is.

Expectations are high for the five-star incoming freshman point guard Nico Mannion. He is being recognized as one of the top point guard guards in the country and expected to take Arizona Basketball to the next level this upcoming season. That is a lot of pressure for a freshman to handle, but competing and winning at a high level in pressure situations is nothing new for Mannion.

https://zonazealots.com/2019/06/04/ariz ... atch-list/
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I hope Mannion gets 35min/g next season. I want maximum Nico for the one year we'll have him.
StickItInTheyFace

Post by StickItInTheyFace »

I think the most exciting thing about Nico is that point guard has been one of our most surprisingly disappointing positions through Millers era.

I decided to list every starting point guard under Miller to date. Some of these teams do have two ball handlers so I will try to note them as well. Let me know if I made any mistakes or I am forgetting about anyone.

2009-2010: Nic Wise (14.4 Pts, 3.3 Reb, 3.3 Ast in 33 MPG)
2010-2011: Kyle Fogg (8.1 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 2.6 Ast in 25.5 MPG) / MoMo Jones (9.7 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 2.4 Ast in 26 MPG)
2011-2012: Kyle Fogg (13.5 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 2.2 Ast in 32.1 MPG) / Josiah Turner (6.8 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 2.4 Ast in 24.9 MPG)
2012-2013: Mark Lyons (15.6 Pts, 1.9 Reb, 2.8 Ast in 30.3 MPG)
2013-2014: T.J. McConnell (8.4 Pts, 3.6 Reb, 5.3 Ast in 32.3 MPG)
2014-2015: T.J. McConnell (10.4 Pts, 3.8 Reb, 6.3 Ast in 30.5 MPG)
2015-2016: Kadeem Allen (8.4 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 3.6 Ast in 24.9 MPG) / PJC (5.2 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 3.4 Ast in 21.2 MPG)
2016-2017: Kadeem Allen (9.8 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 3.0 Ast in 30 MPG) / PJC (5.9 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 4.1 Ast in 24.9 MPG)
2017-2018: PJC (7.8 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 4.5 Ast in 32 MPG)
2018-2019: Justin Coleman (8.9 Pts, 2.6 Reb, 3.8 Ast in 30.8 MPG)

There were definitely strong players in this list, a lot of scoring PG's in the first half of Miller's tenure and then it switched dramatically to to focusing on ball handling and passing.

It's not out of the question that Mannion could be the best in both these areas. He won't be what Fogg and TJ were defensively, but as far as scoring, ball handling and passing I think he has the chance to do what Lonzo Ball did for UCLA in 2016-2017. Taking a talented young team from struggling the previous year to being a title contender just due to his control over the game.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:I think the most exciting thing about Nico is that point guard has been one of our most surprisingly disappointing positions through Millers era.

I decided to list every starting point guard under Miller to date. Some of these teams do have two ball handlers so I will try to note them as well. Let me know if I made any mistakes or I am forgetting about anyone.

2010-2011: Kyle Fogg (8.1 Pts, 1.8 Reb, 2.6 Ast in 25.5 MPG) / MoMo Jones (9.7 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 2.4 Ast in 26 MPG)
2011-2012: Kyle Fogg (13.5 Pts, 3.7 Reb, 2.2 Ast in 32.1 MPG) / Josiah Turner (6.8 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 2.4 Ast in 24.9 MPG)
2015-2016: Kadeem Allen (8.4 Pts, 3.1 Reb, 3.6 Ast in 24.9 MPG) / PJC (5.2 Pts, 1.6 Reb, 3.4 Ast in 21.2 MPG)
2016-2017: Kadeem Allen (9.8 Pts, 4.0 Reb, 3.0 Ast in 30 MPG) / PJC (5.9 Pts, 2.5 Reb, 4.1 Ast in 24.9 MPG)

There were definitely strong players in this list, a lot of scoring PG's in the first half of Miller's tenure and then it switched dramatically to to focusing on ball handling and passing.

It's not out of the question that Mannion could be the best in both these areas. He won't be what Fogg and TJ were defensively, but as far as scoring, ball handling and passing I think he has the chance to do what Lonzo Ball did for UCLA in 2016-2017. Taking a talented young team from struggling the previous year to being a title contender just due to his control over the game.
Great research and consideration here. I've also been thinking about how Lonzo changed the culture and raised the ceiling for UCLA, with an eye towards Nico making a similar impact at Arizona. We've got a lot of pass-friendly players on this team - Nico, Brandon, Josh, Stone - and having Nico leading that group and setting the tone should bring out the best in all of them.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Damn Lonzo played 35 minutes a game while averaging 14.6/6/7.6. I can't see Nico playing that much minutes, especially as a smaller guy.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:I think the most exciting thing about Nico is that point guard has been one of our most surprisingly disappointing positions through Millers era.

Great research and consideration here. I've also been thinking about how Lonzo changed the culture and raised the ceiling for UCLA, with an eye towards Nico making a similar impact at Arizona. We've got a lot of pass-friendly players on this team - Nico, Brandon, Josh, Stone - and having Nico leading that group and setting the tone should bring out the best in all of them.
I'd say UCLA was more prone to the single player effect. Alford just rolled the ball out, so a single guy could change culture in a more dramtic way.

I am more hopeful that we don't need a culture change, we need a restoration of the culture. Prior to 17-18, we had a good culture. Not only Nico, but Green, etc. are the sort of high motor guys we were working with.

BWill, Nico, Green, Stone, Ira, Jeter, and on, we have a lot of higher motor, more unselfish guys. No one seems like the individual agenda type that derailed 17-18. Nico and BWill don't seem like the guys who will get run over like PJC.
StickItInTheyFace

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote: Great research and consideration here. I've also been thinking about how Lonzo changed the culture and raised the ceiling for UCLA, with an eye towards Nico making a similar impact at Arizona. We've got a lot of pass-friendly players on this team - Nico, Brandon, Josh, Stone - and having Nico leading that group and setting the tone should bring out the best in all of them.
I'd say UCLA was more prone to the single player effect. Alford just rolled the ball out, so a single guy could change culture in a more dramtic way.

I am more hopeful that we don't need a culture change, we need a restoration of the culture. Prior to 17-18, we had a good culture. Not only Nico, but Green, etc. are the sort of high motor guys we were working with.

BWill, Nico, Green, Stone, Ira, Jeter, and on, we have a lot of higher motor, more unselfish guys. No one seems like the individual agenda type that derailed 17-18. Nico and BWill don't seem like the guys who will get run over like PJC.
Definitely, that UCLA team went as far as Lonzo went. I don't think it's a perfect comp but more than anything when I watch clips of Nico I can't help but crack a smile. The swagger, the confidence and more importantly the production and winning to back it up. That is what makes me think the most of Lonzo.

Nico actually played at the same High School I went to. I moved back close to there after graduating from UofA and saw a couple games this year. Those high school games were unlike anything I ever saw when I went there. The gym was so filled they were fucking turning people away at the door. The excitement that he created was palpable not just to the fans but most importantly to his teammates.

Having a player like that will give this team a swagger that they haven't had other than TJ. I just feel like he's gonna be the catalyst to a very special year. If not, at least it will be fun to watch!

Note: I can just see Nico throwing lobs to Ira and all of McKale going nuts. Sorry for my day dreaming and fanboying. :lol:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

StickItInTheyFace wrote:Note: I can just see Nico throwing lobs to Ira and all of McKale going nuts. Sorry for my day dreaming and fanboying. :lol:
What else is the offseason good for?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

I think Nico is going to be so pissed off not playing with these new guys that have to sit out this year that he will want to come back for his sophomore season... and go for an NCAA title repeat.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

YoDeFoe wrote:
StickItInTheyFace wrote:Note: I can just see Nico throwing lobs to Ira and all of McKale going nuts. Sorry for my day dreaming and fanboying. :lol:
What else is the offseason good for?
Every time I'm alone and I approach a doorway, I straighten my knees and imagine my feet rising far above the floor as I cup an invisible ball in my hand, reach upward, and slam it down into the top of the doorframe. Then I "land", pump my fists, and scream. I hope nobody ever sees me do it.
TatetheGreat

Post by TatetheGreat »

84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

84Cat wrote:
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Following up that lovely gif from Spiff... SI posted a nice article on what Mannion means for the program. You can find it here.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

Was watching the ESPN 30/30 on Dennis Rodman. Believe it or not Nico is in the background of one of the shots late in the film. I think it was about 1hr 46 mins in. He is in it for about 8 secs in the background. Totally caught me off guard because they had to be mixing in new background footage because Nico would have been about 5.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

hes gonna score, score, score, score, score the basketball
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:hes gonna score, score, score, score, score the basketball
Getting excited, 97?
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
97cats wrote:hes gonna score, score, score, score, score the basketball
Getting excited, 97?
Who isn't?
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

I haven’t been this excited about a freshman scoring since . . . my freshman year at Arizona.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:I haven’t been this excited about a freshman scoring since . . . my freshman year at Arizona.

We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I casually watch this video about once a day.

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

We’re gonna love this kid.
StickItInTheyFace

I think he will make the biggest impact of any freshman in Miller's tenure. Ayton was obviously dominant, but the impact that Nico is gonna have in making everyone else better with his passing and his scoring is incomparable to any other Miller Freshman. I don't think I've ever been as excited for an incoming player as I am with him. He's gonna make this year very special.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I've dogged Zona Zealouts in the past (like, two days ago) for their writing but this one is well written and a nice summation of the expectations for Mannion. High level stuff and nothing ground breaking, but since I just bashed them I figured it only fair to offer praise when due.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

It's a nice interview. Can't remember if Katz was one of the people saying Miller should be fired.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Beachcat97 wrote:
It's a nice interview. Can't remember if Katz was one of the people saying Miller should be fired.
I think I said it in another thread, but Katz is a nice guy that just has horrific basketball opinions. Not sure where he stood on the Miller firing, but I'm guessing he was similar to the rest of the national writers (i.e. supportive of firing).
97cats

Post by 97cats »

7 year re-build
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

goslingswagg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
I think I said it in another thread, but Katz is a nice guy that just has horrific basketball opinions. Not sure where he stood on the Miller firing, but I'm guessing he was similar to the rest of the national writers (i.e. supportive of firing).
Katz loved Arizona through most of the Lute years....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

97cats wrote:7 year re-build
That's right. He made this comment either right before or after we hired Miller, and two years later, we were a Jamelle Horne three away from the FF.

Katz isn't any kind of great basketball mind. He's a beat writer. He gives only the most superficial coverage/commentary possible. And yet, Dick Vitale makes Katz look like David Foster Wallace.
atlantakat

Post by atlantakat »

The specific timing has grown hazy, but at the point when Tim Floyd reneged on the job, with no Solomon Hill, no D Will, no Momo, and perhaps no Nic Wise, the roster looked like Jamelle Horne and a bunch of guys that would not be get off the bench on a decent team.

The hiring of Sean Miller literally saved the program. Until that moment, and his getting Wise to stay and getting an incredible class under the circumstances, U of A basketball was going from a once proud but now listing aircraft carrier to sinking to the bottom of the ocean. Sevun years was about right until Miller was hired.

People forget. As a favorite poet thespian of mine once said, I been to the edge, and then I looked down. Lost a lot of friends there, got no time to f*uck around.

Always thought Sean Miller might have thought something similar.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Maybe it's butterflies in my stomach with the season so close to tipping off, but I'm a little worried about the opening slate of point guards that Mannion is going to have to face.

Nov 10, Illinois... Ayo Dosunmu
6'4" soph with elite quickness, a penchant for scoring, and a tough perimeter defender (Cousy Award nom)

Nov 28, Pepperdine... Colbey Ross
6'1" jr who put up 19 / 3 / 7 last season and has the stones to hit huge shots

Dec 1, Providence (tbd)... Luwane Pipkins
5'11" RS Sr who put up 16 / 5 /5 at UMass before transfering, an electric player, hyper quick and high level shot maker

Dec 7, at Baylor... Jared Butler
6'3" soph who ended the season avg'ing 13 / 4 / 3 on 40% from deep... could be an all Big XII player this yr

Dec 14, Gonzaga... Joel Ayayi
6'5" RS So who just posted avg's of 21 / 6 / 3 at the FIBA U19 tournament on his way to earning first team honors (note: this could also be transfer Ryan Woolridge, who I'm far less concerned about, if Ayayi doesn't bring his elite international summer home to Spokane)

We then open conference play against Remy Martin (who blows goats but can get buckets) and Payton Pritchard. Both are Cousy Award nominated as well.

It's a tough slate and while I'm a huge Mannion fan... it's got my butterflies buzzing. Anyone have any thoughts on how Mannion will handle the competition (both on offense and maybe more importantly defensively)? What encourages me is watching Mannion v. Cole Anthony highlights.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Maybe it's butterflies in my stomach with the season so close to tipping off, but I'm a little worried about the opening slate of point guards that Mannion is going to have to face.

Nov 10, Illinois... Ayo Dosunmu
6'4" soph with elite quickness, a penchant for scoring, and a tough perimeter defender (Cousy Award nom)

Nov 28, Pepperdine... Colbey Ross
6'1" jr who put up 19 / 3 / 7 last season and has the stones to hit huge shots

Dec 1, Providence (tbd)... Luwane Pipkins
5'11" RS Sr who put up 16 / 5 /5 at UMass before transfering, an electric player, hyper quick and high level shot maker

Dec 7, at Baylor... Jared Butler
6'3" soph who ended the season avg'ing 13 / 4 / 3 on 40% from deep... could be an all Big XII player this yr

Dec 14, Gonzaga... Joel Ayayi
6'5" RS So who just posted avg's of 21 / 6 / 3 at the FIBA U19 tournament on his way to earning first team honors (note: this could also be transfer Ryan Woolridge, who I'm far less concerned about, if Ayayi doesn't bring his elite international summer home to Spokane)

We then open conference play against Remy Martin (who blows goats but can get buckets) and Payton Pritchard. Both are Cousy Award nominated as well.

It's a tough slate and while I'm a huge Mannion fan... it's got my butterflies buzzing. Anyone have any thoughts on how Mannion will handle the competition (both on offense and maybe more importantly defensively)? What encourages me is watching Mannion v. Cole Anthony highlights.
I'm happy he gets good competition. The sooner a highly rated recruit gets the "it ain't high school no more" experience, the better. Legit players respond positively to it.

I fully believe Nico is legit and would like the opportunity to rise to the occasion.

Edit: Nico can be better than any of those guys, and putting him in the position to make that happen is a positive.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm happy he gets good competition. The sooner a highly rated recruit gets the "it ain't high school no more" experience, the better. Legit players respond positively to it.

I fully believe Nico is legit and would like the opportunity to rise to the occasion.

Edit: Nico can be better than any of those guys, and putting him in the position to make that happen is a positive.
I'm being a wimp about it (maybe because of all the times a lead guard has sliced up our team, maybe because of the high expectations for Mannion, maybe because I'm still smarting from last season).

like you said though, I'm sure Mannion won't shy from the challenge. That second game of the season against Illinois will be a real test for him, but thankfully I believe in our whole team to help carry that one. The games against Baylor and Gonzaga will be tests for him and the team... here's hoping that he's gotten used to college game speed and he can lead the team by that point.

Edit: I'm reminded of how Mannion got graded as "underwhelming" in the McD's AA game so he came out and put up MVP numbers for the next event (the Nike Hoops Summit). The dude steps up to the challenge.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:I'm happy he gets good competition. The sooner a highly rated recruit gets the "it ain't high school no more" experience, the better. Legit players respond positively to it.

I'm being a wimp about it (maybe because of all the times a lead guard has sliced up our team, maybe because of the high expectations for Mannion, maybe because I'm still smarting from last season).

like you said though, I'm sure Mannion won't shy from the challenge. That second game of the season against Illinois will be a real test for him, but thankfully I believe in our whole team to help carry that one. The games against Baylor and Gonzaga will be tests for him and the team... here's hoping that he's gotten used to college game speed and he can lead the team by that point.

Edit: I'm reminded of how Mannion got graded as "underwhelming" in the McD's AA game so he came out and put up MVP numbers for the next event (the Nike Hoops Summit). The dude steps up to the challenge.
It's like this for me. If we want to win anything of note, Nico needs to win battles vs good players. The sooner he is put in the position to do that, the more comfortable he will be with it by the time it matters most.

Moving up from HS is always an adjustment, regardless of how well grounded a player is. Seeing what it takes should only be a positive.

From what I've seen about Nico, nothing leads me to believe he won't benefit from a challenge. And realistically, if he does not benefit from a challenge...he is not who we thought he was to begin with.
StickItInTheyFace

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
I'm happy he gets good competition. The sooner a highly rated recruit gets the "it ain't high school no more" experience, the better. Legit players respond positively to it.

I couldn't agree more, the faster that he gets exposed to it the better. I'd rather him take some lumps and learn from it early on then in the first round of the tournament.

As high as my expectations are for Nico, I think it's pretty likely that he doesn't look like everything we expected in the first third or so of the season. I think him and Green come on later in the season and really take this team from a competitor in the Pac, to a team that can go very deep in the tourney.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

What will help Nico is the level of good coaching he has got independently, and having a dad who played the game at a high level. If you watch him play, his footwork was superior to most high school players, his ability to shift into shooting position or change speeds on the dribble infer that he will be a good positional defender when it becomes something required (now?).

He was the star of a team in Arizona, so he was not asked to play 32 minutes of defense. Losing Nico to foul trouble would have tanked Pinnacle. But he has great instincts and footwork, and has a high basketball IQ. I would never see him being a lockdown defender, but that will, IMO, be the part of his game that drastically improves from the day he stepped on campus to the end of this season.

On the other side of that footwork, he has one of the greatest weapons a PG can have...a legit hesitation dribble. He can change speeds and keeps control by not just going full blast on every drive. Some guards have standing and balls out as their only two speeds, and over-penetrate and charge. Nico can gear up, or go at a controlled speed to set up midrange or passing lanes. That is a big part of being a good passing guard as well...being able to extend the window for passing lanes by moving the defense while under control.

Anyway...I could see him being tight early and missing some shots, and getting caught reaching in the trademarked "NCAA Points Of Emphasis" early season. But his improvement will come easier because he won't be needing to learn as much about advantage footwork and the subtleties of positioning as some players.
prh

Post by prh »

Just based off what we saw from him in big games and situations in HS, along with the Hoops Summit and other things, he just oozes that "it" factor that we have been desperately searching for.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EVCat wrote:On the other side of that footwork, he has one of the greatest weapons a PG can have...a legit hesitation dribble. He can change speeds and keeps control by not just going full blast on every drive. Some guards have standing and balls out as their only two speeds, and over-penetrate and charge. Nico can gear up, or go at a controlled speed to set up midrange or passing lanes. That is a big part of being a good passing guard as well...being able to extend the window for passing lanes by moving the defense while under control..
The above describes Ayo Desonmu, the PG at Illinois - guy is a killer a full speed but he has no change of pace or change of direction. He doesn't flutter the gas pedal, he hits the NOS button.

It really is wild to see a PG of Nico's age that can get his defender on his hip with his hesitation dribble. Kid just does it at will.