guards, guards, guards -- gotta have guards
Spaceman Spiff

Re: Nico Mannion

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Especially really good ones.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

im trying my best to look forward, not back...with Williams and Mannion in the fold next year, Sean Miller is on to somethin.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:im trying my best to look forward, not back...with Williams and Mannion in the fold next year, Sean Miller is on to somethin.
That's two better point guards on one roster than all our rosters since TJ.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

↑↑↑ yes ↑↑↑
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Still believe that Barcello will be an impact player as an upperclassmen. A ball-handling core of Barcello (Jr.), Williams (So.), and Mannion (Fr.) would be the best we've fielded since 2001.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:Still believe that Barcello will be an impact player as an upperclassmen. A ball-handling core of Barcello (Jr.), Williams (So.), and Mannion (Fr.) would be the best we've fielded since 2001.
Maybe Randolph and/or Akot is back. They're both potential alternate ball handlers too. Barcello, Williams and Mannion could all be legit PG options. Add in some other positions that can also handle, and there's a lot of flexibility.
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

4 years of TJ/PJC
or
4 years of NM/BW

No question right? Sorry TJ
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

This is really damn exciting. Just gotta get lucky with guys sticking around. Nico/BW has FF run written all over it.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.... remember just a few miles up north is the self titled Guard U.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Let's not get ahead of ourselves.... remember just a few miles up north is the self titled Guard U.
I give Hurley two more years before he's canned.
Azgirl

Post by Azgirl »

Hurley will move on...
TheGreatCatsby

Post by TheGreatCatsby »

Great step in moving AZ basketball towards how the game is played in 2018 vs how we've been building our roster like it's 1988. Elite point guards, at Arizona? What a concept! Fired up about coming years if we stick with recruiting more guards, especially good ones.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Go Miller. Just want him to have that trophy and say FU ESPIN and Bilas/Vitale
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Great to see the continued success of U of A grabbing the best PG in the country when they are in our backyard. Beardown!
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

If the McKale announcer doesn’t shout out “NEEEE...CO-LO!” just like the yodeler in the old Ricola commercials every time Mannion scores than what the fuck are we even doing here?

Welcome to the family Nico!
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
UAtrue

Post by UAtrue »

Welcome aboard Nico.

You are gonna love it at UA.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Arizona is finally getting top PGs again, hopefully also add Boogie Ellis, but we'll only have him for a year, Niccolo is likely one and doner. It opens up a solid one year window to make a run at a F4 with a Mannion + a core consisting of..

So. Williams (who is hard to imagine is here for more than 2 yrs)
Sr. Jeter
Jr. Akot and/or Randolph (hopefully at least one returns and massively improves this year for run next year)
hopefully Josh Green, Jaden McDaniels or someone else to put the team over the top (rest of the 2019 recruits, like say Koloko along with the Doutrieve, Thielemans etc, are more long term building for the next next run).
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

NYCat wrote:Arizona is finally getting top PGs again, hopefully also add Boogie Ellis, but we'll only have him for a year, Niccolo is likely one and doner. It opens up a solid one year window to make a run at a F4 with a Mannion + a core consisting of..

Sr. Jeter
Jr. Akot and/or Randolph (hopefully at least one returns and massively improves this year for run next year)
hopefully Josh Green, Jaden McDaniels or someone else to put the team over the top (rest of the 2019 recruits, like say Koloko along with the Doutrieve, Thielemans etc, are more long term building for the next next run).
Future is bright, fo-sho.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Nico Mannion could bring talented friends to Tucson

Bruce Pascoe Arizona Daily Star Sep 16, 2018 Updated 18 hrs ago

“Nico and Josh Green are really close,” Gershon said. “So at worst, I think Arizona is (No.) 1 or 2” among Green’s favorites.

When recruiting analyst Jake Weingarten tweeted Friday that Mannion’s commitment to Arizona “will definitely have a huge impact on his best friend, Josh Green,” Mannion retweeted it … while tagging Green on his response and adding an eyeballs emoji, two question marks and emojis that say “Bear Down.”

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... 3fd.html#1" target="_blank
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

NYCat wrote:Arizona is finally getting top PGs again, hopefully also add Boogie Ellis, but we'll only have him for a year, Niccolo is likely one and doner. It opens up a solid one year window to make a run at a F4 with a Mannion + a core consisting of..

Sr. Jeter
I'm far from convinced Nico is a one and done, although I know that's what he wants to do, but draft stock will ultimately make the final decision for him.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:

Sr. Jeter
I'm far from convinced Nico is a one and done, although I know that's what he wants to do, but draft stock will ultimately make the final decision for him.
As long as he lets his draft stock decide, I'm fine with that. He either flashes enough to pump up his stock in one year or stays. That's fair, and it incentivizes his time here.

I'm not sure he'll be ready either. I'd have thought a guy like Duval would be ready, but not so much. PG is probably the toughest position to be OAD.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Draft stock means nothing anymore on if a kid will go or not. Plenty of kids listed as late 2nd rounders or undrafted leave.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ASUHATER! wrote:Draft stock means nothing anymore on if a kid will go or not. Plenty of kids listed as late 2nd rounders or undrafted leave.
Choo just said draft stock will decide for him. I hope it does.

I think your statement paints with too broad a brush.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: PG is probably the toughest position to be OAD.
True, but Ball, Fultz, T. Young, Sexton, Fox...I mean, tons of PGs have been OAD lately, so while it may be tough, several players are doing it, making it more likely that others follow.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

ASUHATER! wrote:Draft stock means nothing anymore on if a kid will go or not. Plenty of kids listed as late 2nd rounders or undrafted leave.
I'm well aware. He won't be here longer than 2 years regardless of the draft stock. Draft stock, however, will dictate whether he stays one year or two. This isn't a Kobi Simmons one and done no matter what situation.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:
True, but Ball, Fultz, T. Young, Sexton, Fox...I mean, tons of PGs have been OAD lately, so while it may be tough, several players are doing it, making it more likely that others follow.
All those guys were guaranteed lottery picks by seasons end. If Nico is guaranteed that he will obviously bounce, as he should. The key factor for all those guys you named except maybe Fox was that they were the #1 scoring option for their teams and nobody else was close. That's far from a guarantee for Nico.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Also, which draft is it that high schoolers might be eligible? 20? 21? I would expect to see more kids go the year before that, so they do not get lost in that crazy mess. Also if you are a freshman that year you might be more likely to stick around. Who knows.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Also, which draft is it that high schoolers might be eligible? 20? 21? I would expect to see more kids go the year before that, so they do not get lost in that crazy mess. Also if you are a freshman that year you might be more likely to stick around. Who knows.
At this point the 2021 kids are the likely first class to be able to go straight to the NBA again. If Nico stays 2 years he'd still avoid that.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:
If Nico performs like those guys as a freshman, I'm fine with him leaving. With PG's, they get drafted moreso on production than projection. Ball, Fultz, Young, Sexton and Fox were all dominant college players.

You don't see PG projects like Chriss or Dragan Bender go in the lottery.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Spiff those are forwards and they both went in the lottery I'm so confused.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Sorry if I was confusing. Big man projects, maybe even wing projects can go lottery. PG projects don't. Any lottery PG has produced at a good level in college.

Maybe Mudiay and Jennings overseas are exceptions, but overseas.

I was using Chriss and Bender as the examples of projects who go lottery when similarly situated PG's don't. Hope that is clearer.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Sorry if I was confusing. Big man projects, maybe even wing projects can go lottery. PG projects don't. Any lottery PG has produced at a good level in college.

I was using Chriss and Bender as the examples of projects who go lottery when similarly situated PG's don't. Hope that is clearer.
Reason being as a good point guard can help those projects develop, while a good wing/post don't necessarily help a point guard develop.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Reason being as a good point guard can help those projects develop, while a good wing/post don't necessarily help a point guard develop.
I also think it's just rarer to find size with elite physical tools. Guys in the 6'0-6'3 range who can run and jump are fairly common. You have to have something else to separate yourself from the pack, and that something else triggers college success.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

ChooChooCat wrote:
U.P. Zona Fan wrote:Also, which draft is it that high schoolers might be eligible? 20? 21? I would expect to see more kids go the year before that, so they do not get lost in that crazy mess. Also if you are a freshman that year you might be more likely to stick around. Who knows.
At this point the 2021 kids are the likely first class to be able to go straight to the NBA again. If Nico stays 2 years he'd still avoid that.

If Nico stayed two years he would be right in mix with that 2021 class potentially a pack of HS kids, which may come into play with his decision to stay past 1 year.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I was using Chriss and Bender as the examples of projects who go lottery when similarly situated PG's don't. Hope that is clearer.
Now I'm reading your sentence correctly, thanks.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

A 15-YEAR-OLD

(SORTA-MAYBE)

BASKETBALL PRODIGY

BY CHRIS BALLARD

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nico-m ... index.html
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

97cats wrote:A 15-YEAR-OLD

(SORTA-MAYBE)

BASKETBALL PRODIGY

BY CHRIS BALLARD

https://www.si.com/longform/2017/nico-m ... index.html
It’s a great article. Can’t wait to see him in a UofA uniform.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Excellent article. Nico seems to have a solid family foundation. Well grounded kid beyond hoops. Nice to see in 2018.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Premium?
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:Premium?
The Athletic is worth every penny. Only downside is Seth Davis owns a part of it.
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:Premium?
Great Read.
NYCat

Post by NYCat »

Thanks Phoechina
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

NYCat wrote:Thanks Phoechina
You are very welcome
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Nico and Pinnacle play Bibby's Shadow Mountain on November 30. At Pinnacle High School. Get there early...

Nico vs Jaelen House and Jovan Blackshear...

The two best teams in the state and a preview of UA vs ASU 2019-20, if Jaelen gets early playing time at ASU.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Nico goes to the bank to beat Bibby and Shadow Mountain in front of Bobby Hurley, Terry Armstrong, and all those who could cram into Pinnacle before the fire marshal shut down new entries.

Shadow's first in-state loss in 71 games. Nico with 35 or 37

I give up on the embed thing

::::mod edit to fix the embed video::::
97cats

Post by 97cats »

props to Lando for the live look in from center court - Williams and Mannion, say it out loud...Randolph too.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

97cats wrote:props to Lando for the live look in from center court - Williams and Mannion, say it out loud...Randolph too.
Thank you 97Cats. Was at the game and can confirm that. Nico is for real, best guard we've had coming in since Bayless. Not as athletic but much more skilled and higher IQ. I was extremely impressed. He has so much swagger, I loved seeing him go up to Bibby and talk ish to him. He had no fear, and that game winner was unreal.

Jalen House was not impressive and for being Eddie House's son, his shot should be much better. Quick and good instincts but looks like he doesn't have the drive or killer instinct Nico has or his teamate I think Javon Blackshire is his name. Javon fouled out late in the 4th quarter but he impressed me far more than House. Hes going to GCU I think he'll do very well there. Athletic, wanted to defend Nico and gave him trouble the first half when Nico was trying to force it to much. Good shot form will get better, great ball handler. I think may be underrated. More athletic than Jalen to.

Great game, great atmosphere, fans for both schools. Sold out, standing room only, turning people away at the door. Was two rows behind Eddie House on center court. Glad I went to this game. Pinnacles coach was terrible, cant wait to see Nico get real coaching from his team. His personal trainer BLav was also in the building. Thunder Dan and his GCU staff were there and Bobby Hurley. Great game.

Nico Beardown! Nico, Brandon William's, Josh Green, Jeter, and Zeke are going to be a Final 4 contender next year.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

97cats wrote:props to Lando for the live look in from center court - Williams and Mannion, say it out loud...Randolph too.
Im hoping Williams or Randolph don't make a poor decision and try to jump to the league. I could see Randolph trying...probably not Williams.