The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

MC1983

Re: Next year...2019-20

Post by MC1983 »

Why has Walton’s name been mentioned so much other than he is alumni ? I don’t see how he is not just a hugh ?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

MC1983 wrote:Why has Walton’s name been mentioned so much other than he is alumni ? I don’t see how he is not just a hugh ?
Young, legit coach who was highly successful with the Warriors. Big question is lack of college experience, but he has proven that he'd be fine in player management and strategy.

If he can recruit, he'd be highly successful. Recruiting is the great unknown. He could handle the other aspects.

But that is a big ?. That's why I said no one has a better level of qualifications than Miller walking in.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Does Walton even want to coach college? Steve Kerr has made it clear they he doesn't due to the recruiting grind and NCAA rules.

Of course not having a job makes any job look good.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:Does Walton even want to coach college? Steve Kerr has made it clear they he doesn't due to the recruiting grind and NCAA rules.

I think the assumption is that dealing with the Lakers this year might make him more receptive to coaching where he has a bit more say.
prh

Post by prh »

Merkin wrote:Does Walton even want to coach college? Steve Kerr has made it clear they he doesn't due to the recruiting grind and NCAA rules.

Arizona would immediately be the highest profile job of any LeBron's coach casualties
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

Our #1 option should be Chris Beard imo, and I don't think there's any other candidate that would be even close to him in my mind. I'm somewhat doubtful he would leave Tech for us right now though.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

Alieberman wrote:A couple serviceable upperclassman and a highly regarded freshmen class and we are thinking final 4?

I don't see it. I wish I saw it.... but I don't.
for clarity, i said Sweet 16 or better next year and Coach Miller is safe - and for those of you who've never seen Mannion, he is a program changing player, even if just for a year.

he and Green give instant life and hope to Arizona, and Mannion alone has that "it" factor we all here so much about - that ability to take over and win games, inspire others, and relish in the big moment.

in today's climate certain younger players are making an instant impact more than ever, Mannion is that player.

perhaps just as rare, a seasoned 5th year player on that same team, capable and valuable in their own right, on and off the floor impacting the culture and make-up of the team.

a guy like Jeter is a different player on the floor with capable and steady play(ers) around him - when counted to be the star, the one to carry the water (more often than not) inconsistency will have him falling short, his play uneven, and his body breaking down - we all saw that first hand this year.

Randolph's willingness to develop his game this season, and mature into a team player was one of the key's to a Final Four run next season, giving Arizona and Sean Miller what would've been the perfect combination of ability, experience, depth, and flexibility at the guard/wing spot with Williams a year stronger and Mannion & Green in the fold.

that didnt happen, and from all accounts Arizona and Randolph have seen their final days together on the basketball floor.

and so here we are again, AZ is one or two experienced players away from fielding a team capable of making a legit Final Four run next year.

to fill the void, Sean Miller will once again go fishing in the murky pond of grad transfers and coaching casualties to round out the roster - across the board the past has shown that business plan is a poor and naive strategy, specifically at AZ and specifically under Sean Miller.

one thing is for certain, the bullshit that has been manning the PG spot for Arizona over the last four years is coming to an end, and even if for just one season, maybe Miller's last season, its fitting that Sean Miller is going to live and die with his PG, giving and demanding him to make every big play and take every big shot, and for that i am finally grateful.

even if it is five years too late
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

97cats wrote:
Alieberman wrote:A couple serviceable upperclassman and a highly regarded freshmen class and we are thinking final 4?

for clarity, i said Sweet 16 or better next year and Coach Miller is safe - and for those of you who've never seen Mannion, he is a program changing player, even if just for a year.

he and Green give instant life and hope to Arizona, and Mannion alone has that "it" factor we all here so much about - that ability to take over and win games, inspire others, and relish in the big moment.

in today's climate certain younger players are making an instant impact more than ever, Mannion is that player.

perhaps just as rare, a seasoned 5th year player on that same team, capable and valuable in their own right, on and off the floor impacting the culture and make-up of the team.

a guy like Jeter is a different player on the floor with capable and steady play(ers) around him - when counted to be the star, the one to carry the water (more often than not) inconsistency will have him falling short, his play uneven, and his body breaking down - we all saw that first hand this year.

Randolph's willingness to develop his game this season, and mature into a team player was one of the key's to a Final Four run next season, giving Arizona and Sean Miller what would've been the perfect combination of ability, experience, depth, and flexibility at the guard/wing spot with Williams a year stronger and Mannion & Green in the fold.

that didnt happen, and from all accounts Arizona and Randolph have seen their final days together on the basketball floor.

and so here we are again, AZ is one or two experienced players away from fielding a team capable of making a legit Final Four run next year.

to fill the void, Sean Miller will once again go fishing in the murky pond of grad transfers and coaching casualties to round out the roster - across the board the past has shown that business plan is a poor and naive strategy, specifically at AZ and specifically under Sean Miller.

one thing is for certain, the bullshit that has been manning the PG spot for Arizona over the last four years is coming to an end, and even if for just one season, maybe Miller's last season, its fitting that Sean Miller is going to live and die with his PG, giving and demanding him to make every big play and take every big shot, and for that i am finally grateful.

I don't think the lack of Brandon Randolph developing makes or breaks next season. I've seen enough of Green to believe he'll be really good. It also opens the door for Doutrive to take advantage of more playing time. He's gonna be a nightmare for opponents next season because he'll play 15-20 minutes and grab 7-8 rebounds...mostly on the offensive end.

Having backcourt players like Nico and Green should significantly open up opportunities for Jeter and Ira Lee. They're not stars, but with better players around them, they'll get touches in space with better opportunities to finish at the rim.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
I don't think the lack of Brandon Randolph developing makes or breaks next season. I've seen enough of Green to believe he'll be really good. It also opens the door for Doutrive to take advantage of more playing time. He's gonna be a nightmare for opponents next season because he'll play 15-20 minutes and grab 7-8 rebounds...mostly on the offensive end.

Having backcourt players like Nico and Green should significantly open up opportunities for Jeter and Ira Lee. They're not stars, but with better players around them, they'll get touches in space with better opportunities to finish at the rim.
Far from a guarantee Doutrive is back next year.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

97cats wrote:

A starting lineup of:

Mannion
Williams
Green
Nnaji/Gettings
Jeter

That lacks nothing as talent goes. Lee, Armstrong, (hopefully) Doutrive, Gettings/Nnaji and Barcello is a deep, experienced, strong bench. If we keep that roster heading to next year, our future is strong.

I don't mean to hate on Randolph, but I see a basketball IQ limit that makes me fine without him next year. The common thread with Jeter, Williams, Green, Mannion is their high IQ. We seriously lacked that this year.
Last edited by Spaceman Spiff on Thu Mar 14, 2019 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
zonagrad wrote:

Far from a guarantee Doutrive is back next year.
Fingers crossed....I also think Miller has done a bad job picking and choosing his grad transfers for the most part. Feel like most AZ fans have a negative view of grad transfers, but I think the primary reason for that is that Miller just isn't getting good players out of the GT pool. Mark Lyons is probably the last one he really hit on...not good.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Not necessarily true, Kadeem and TJ were more than solid. Keanu was good for us, but I do agree that Dylan Smith, JCole and Luther were not on the level of the previous transfers he had.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

zonagrad wrote:
97cats wrote:
Randolph's willingness to develop his game this season, and mature into a team player was one of the key's to a Final Four run next season...

I don't think the lack of Brandon Randolph developing makes or breaks next season.
one of the keys, one, heading into this season - there are others and other chances to fill that void, but I never said “make or break”

in fact, my post still said AZ had hope, good hope, without him.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RawleArenas wrote:Not necessarily true, Kadeem and TJ were more than solid. Keanu was good for us, but I do agree that Dylan Smith, JCole and Luther were not on the level of the previous transfers he had.
you’re leaving out many others who sucked so bad you forgot them, which is easy to do cause they sucked so bad.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RawleArenas wrote:Not necessarily true, Kadeem and TJ were more than solid. Keanu was good for us, but I do agree that Dylan Smith, JCole and Luther were not on the level of the previous transfers he had.
Coleman and Luther were emergencies because of the FBI issue killing recruiting. Those spots were originally for guys like Bol Bol, Jahvon Quinerly, Nassir Little and Shareef O'Neal.

Lyons was a similiar emergency option, and he had ok results. Better than Jordin Mayes leading the team, but frustratingly not a PG.

Ryan Anderson was decent, if a poor defender. Jeter, TJ and Kadeem have all been very good. Dylan and Korcheck were role players, and Dylan's just been forced into a bigger role than he should have been. In a Korcheck role, he'd have been fine.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

JUCO Transfers & Normal Transfers =/= Grad Transfers
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

97cats wrote:
you’re leaving out many others who sucked so bad you forgot them, which is easy to do cause they sucked so bad.
True that. Mark Tollefsen anyone???
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Fair enough, I see your point. You still have no right making fun of Aquaman.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RawleArenas wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Fair enough, I see your point. You still have no right making fun of Aquaman.
:lol:
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I generally prefer the regular transfer or JUCO over the grad transfer.
For whatever reason, Miller runs a system that seems to take a couple of seasons for most players to figure out.
Lyons had been in the system at Xavier and he had the swagger/confidence that has been lacking in the recent grad transfers.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Exactly...we’ve had much more success with normal/Juco transfers than grad transfers in Miller’s tenure.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

So much hope and existential dread. This off-season is going to be one to remember.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Just a reminder to all that it's not too late to jump off the wagon and chug mezcal, down a Oxycodone, and sniff glue.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

97cats wrote:

What are the odds Jeter comes back? It sounds like success next year is pretty dependent on him returning. Without Jeter we would really need a younger big to be able to step up (or the mentioned grad transfer, which is hard to find).
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Longhorned wrote:Just a reminder to all that it's not too late to jump off the wagon and chug mezcal, down a Oxycodone, and sniff glue.
Point of clarification, you don't have to jump off the wagon to do those things.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Is it bad that I'm hoping for a change to our assistant coaching staff this offseason? Is there enough brainpower on our bench to help this '19 class reach its full potential? I'm especially concerned about our offense. That's the weaker side of the court for Miller, clearly.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well, there will definitely be a change of assistants....
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Chicat wrote:So much hope and existential dread. This off-season is going to be one to remember.
I'm hoping for the opposite. One of our main issues lately have been excessively memorable off court scenarios.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Luke would take the Arizona job
2004 First Team All American Football Poster as voted on by GOAZCATS
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
MC1983 wrote:Why has Walton’s name been mentioned so much other than he is alumni ? I don’t see how he is not just a hugh ?
Young, legit coach who was highly successful with the Warriors. Big question is lack of college experience, but he has proven that he'd be fine in player management and strategy.

If he can recruit, he'd be highly successful. Recruiting is the great unknown. He could handle the other aspects.

But that is a big ?. That's why I said no one has a better level of qualifications than Miller walking in.
Luke would be a fantastic recruiter at Arizona. Never met anyone who doesn’t like him. He played and coached in the league. Arizona will do the things necessary to support him too as they always have

Keep in mind Arizona is not the hardest place to recruit too either. Arizona has structural advantages as a program that are somewhat unrivaled on the west coast. I am not saying our program recruits itself but we do everything right. We will pay, we have fantastic facilities now, fantastic fan support, big college town where the basketball team is biggest game in town etc. Arizona basketball is not a hard sell

I mean Sean miller was not exactly a strong recruiter before coming to Arizona and he had really zero brand recognition on the west coast.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Would he come as an assistant for a year or two? Pull a romar?
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Matt Brase is the only alumni worth talking about as a future head coach here. Luke is damaged goods.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Matt Brase is the only alumni worth talking about as a future head coach here. Luke is damaged goods.
Luke would be fine coaching and player management wise. College and the NBA are vastly different things. Recruiting would be a major question for just about anyone taking the Arizona job.

Of course, Miller should be our #1 choice.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Do you think there is any chance Quinerly leaves Villanova and considers Arizona?
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Matt Brase is the only alumni worth talking about as a future head coach here. Luke is damaged goods.
Good to see you around, but disagree here.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:Do you think there is any chance Quinerly leaves Villanova and considers Arizona?
He was unhappy early, but has gotten more time lately. You never know nowadays.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:Do you think there is any chance Quinerly leaves Villanova and considers Arizona?
He was unhappy early, but has gotten more time lately. You never know nowadays.
He's back riding the pine. Last meaningful minutes played was 2/24. I am curious to see if sticks with Villanova.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

If he is having issues at Nova, why would Miller go after him? Replace Mannion in 2020?

Not sure a William and Mary guy is what we need. But I know nothing about him.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
Luke would be fine coaching and player management wise. College and the NBA are vastly different things. Recruiting would be a major question for just about anyone taking the Arizona job.

Of course, Miller should be our #1 choice.
Spaceman, always respect your takes but here I believe you are wrong. Recruiting is one area where I do not think any fan should be overly concerned about with Arizona basketball under a lot of coaches. Outside of a lack of instate talent (which maybe not true as much since this year we are getting three guys who have all played basketball in the state of Arizona) we have everything working in our favor.

Literally everything. I mean it’s the exact opposite for football. But for certain sports Arizona will always have a lot to sell and Arizona basketball is one of them. It’s why outside of looming sanctions, we are a very attractive job for many coaches. Long term we will always be an attractive job.

Just like Arizona softball, baseball, swimming, and golf. I never worry long term about those sports at all

I see many head coaches able to take advantage of what we offer

This is why I am not concerned if Sean Miller was not our head coach anymore. Zero chance he is fired unless some smoking gun comes out which no one at U of A thinks will happen. FYI that is a fact by the way.

But I will always feel optimistic in U of A’s basketball potential and think a lot of coaches could be successful here because many thing are not working against you at all.
PieceOfMeat

Post by PieceOfMeat »

Why is Luke damaged goods?
It's long past time to bring this back to the court, let's do it with a small update:

azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

After a kid who is 6’7” from William and Mary
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

azcat49 wrote:After a kid who is 6’7” from William and Mary
Would be a great pull but I would be shocked if we got him. Too much competition for minutes here. UNC should pull out the full court press on him.
Ned Zissou

Post by Ned Zissou »

I am not endorsing the guy one way or the other, but when we talk UofA alum as possible coaches (at any level), why does Bruce Fraser's name not ever come up? He seems to be the closest thing to a Steve Kerr clone.
prh

Post by prh »

Ned Zissou wrote:I am not endorsing the guy one way or the other, but when we talk UofA alum as possible coaches (at any level), why does Bruce Fraser's name not ever come up? He seems to be the closest thing to a Steve Kerr clone.
He seems pretty comfortable being Kerr's assistant. Seems like an NBA team would have taken a run at him already.
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

Ned Zissou wrote:I am not endorsing the guy one way or the other, but when we talk UofA alum as possible coaches (at any level), why does Bruce Fraser's name not ever come up? He seems to be the closest thing to a Steve Kerr clone.
Not sure. I know him and Steve are very close. My gut would tell me he might have the same feelings on being a college coach as Steve does in terms of all the BS you have to deal with

After following the Lakers thoughout this year, my view on that has completely changed. Especially with one and done rule going away. In college basketball the stars are the coaches. NBA not even close. I can’t name players on Kentucky this year and I could not tell you who coaches the raptors or sizers or magic or trailblazers etc

I would personally much rather be a head college basketball coach then an NBA coach
Newportcat

Post by Newportcat »

PieceOfMeat wrote:
Why is Luke damaged goods?
Luke is not damaged goods by any stretch. I like Brase but Luke has about a million times more brand recognition
BigSkyCatinMT

Post by BigSkyCatinMT »

I just want a roster next year that can compete. Like what I see coming in. We'll be fine.
formerly, UA Direct, mtzwami, SnowCat, MontanaCat. should cover every forum I've been on in the last 19 years.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Give me Terry Armstrong minutes over any grad transfer.

Mannion
Williams
Armstrong
Green
Jeter
Lee
Nnaji
Gettings
Koloko + Chris Rounds and 100 burritos
Whoever stays among Randolph, Barcello, Doutrive, Smith

Fine rolling with that team. Completely okay.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

We're going to bring a grand transfer in to play what role?

We have three point guards. We have incoming potential NBA-caliber wings. We have a starting C, two seasoned versatile bigs, and an incoming top forward recruit.

What holes are we plugging? Roll the fucking ball out.