The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Re: The 2019-2020 Season Thread

Post by Beachcat97 »

TheCat wrote:My projection is we lose 2 and possibly 3 of the remaining games. Playing on the road is a split at best and more likely 2 losses. This teams offense is really struggling which I don't understand because they can all hit free throws at a decent clip. What you haven't heard this year is we have trouble against a zone. Know why. Stone and Zeke can both hit 12 footers. Last year Chase couldn't hit with any consistency and it was also on his free throws. There have only been 3 sweeps on the road and we have two of them and ASU has the other. Our last one was against the weakest road trip in my opinion and we barely squeaked those out. We need to make a statement offensively to bring back my confidence.

I don’t disagree with any of that, TC. Only bit I’d add is that Miller has done well in L.A. over the years. USC and UCLA will be tough games, but I think we’ve got a shot to win both.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

I think we sometimes miss the small details because we focus on the negative side of things...this last road trip:

We did not cave and allow the opponent to jump out beyond our reach, ever...

Our backup point guards proved to be mature, valuable and gave Nico the needed time on the pine to avoid fouling out...we have not had that luxury for a number of years (and that cannot be Millers fault because who could figure the nonsense that our starters have been through with injuries/ped's/etc)...

Our bigs are showing marked improvement, as much as I have bashed Ira Lee, (and he still will cause a turnover or foul faster than Greg Hansen can lick Tad Boyles ass) he is showing a tenacity and a value and Kolokos defense is improving every time he gets on the court.

While everyone is concerned with our shooting percentages I think this gets sorted out, no way that everyone stays in a slump...winning the last two on the road will boost confidence and coming home to familiar backboards and stripes on the court should see this slump improve...

I honestly think we are in the best place to beat Oregon of any of the teams in the Pac...they will play a very hungry ASU on Thursday and there's a good chance that one is a friggin foot race that grinds down to OT...which is the perfect setup for us on Saturday...I think we handle OSU mainly because I think Baker and Stone Gettings make the difference this time...

Then its off to the LA schools...revenge week redux.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

True or False: If AZ goes 6-0 down the stretch, Miller is the frontrunner for Pac COY.
BBQ wildcat

Post by BBQ wildcat »

I would say true, after being picked to finish 4th.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

BBQ wildcat wrote:I would say true, after being picked to finish 4th.
It would be a little disappointing for him not to win, if we actually win these last 6 games. But Boyle seems like the popular pick, unless they completely unravel in these final weeks, which is unlikely.

Gonna be an exciting finish to the reg season. So much still in flux.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I really have a good feeling about this team. I know I pretty much always say that so my opinion holds no weight but this is the perfect season for a young team like this. For all of the criticism on Coach & the team, a lot of it actually supports the fact that our upside is damn close to the top of the heap. I'm not necessarily thinking 6-0 out & I don't expect Arizona to even with the PAC tournament BUT, anybody who is surprised when this team does either of those things or makes a deep/Final Four run - I feel like they aren't paying attention. Time for some breaks to fall the 'Cats way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I'm not necessarily thinking 6-0 out & I don't expect Arizona to even with the PAC tournament BUT, anybody who is surprised when this team does either of those things or makes a deep/Final Four run - I feel like they aren't paying attention. Time for some breaks to fall the 'Cats way.
I get this, BDV. Time and time again, we've been unlucky in March. A player was injured. We came out flat against a hungry, red-hot opponent. We lost a close game. One of these years, it has to go the other way. And even though Nico and Josh have been up and down this year, I like the idea of those two (and Zeke) in a single-game elimination situation, with nothing to lose and everything to gain. We also have a group of upperclassmen who will be playing to extend their college career and do something significant. This team might be a little under the radar at the moment, which is understandable with all the losses, but who's to say Nico won't catch fire in the tourney? Or that Smith will start going 4-6 from 3 every game? Stranger things have happened.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

TheCat wrote: Our last one was against the weakest road trip in my opinion and we barely squeaked those out. We need to make a statement offensively to bring back my confidence.
I don't feel like any part of this last weekend was "squeaking out" a road sweep. I mean, games will ebb and flow, but neither game was in question at the under 4 time out, and that is, to me, squeaking out games. Having full control of the game in the last 4 to 5 minutes, especially on the road, is pretty much having a game locked down. The first opponent has been sniping teams on its home floor all year, and the 2nd is an upper half team.

Stanford was last within one possession, down 3, with 18:22 left in the game. From that point on, they were never within a bucket. They got within 4 one more time, but still with over 6 minutes left, and was never in the game again.

Cal cut the lead to one possession in the 2nd half, but that ended with over 13 minutes left in the game. Never again were they within a possession, and in less than 3 minutes, with over 10 minutes left, we took a double digit lead and only grew that lead for the rest of the game.

Defense carries on road trips, and we more than met the challenge.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Beachcat97 wrote:True or False: If AZ goes 6-0 down the stretch, Miller is the frontrunner for Pac COY.
I don't see how you can't give it to Mike Hopkins.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

azgreg wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:True or False: If AZ goes 6-0 down the stretch, Miller is the frontrunner for Pac COY.
I don't see how you can't give it to Mike Hopkins.
Lol...Hopkins is getting a lot of sh*t for UW's poor season, but count me among those who think he bounces back and does much better over the next few seasons. He's a good coach.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

If ASU finishes strong don't count out Hurley.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:If ASU finishes strong don't count out Hurley.
True. But I don't expect ASU to finish strongly.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

People complain about Miller not developing players and forget how many coaches in the Pac 12 have Jr's and Sr's as point guards...Hurley has a decent point guard in Remy...and I don't see them washing out this year...they could even win the Pac...I expect them to give Oregon everything they can handle, hell if the cards fall right Oregon could leave Az with 2 losses.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
And you expect UofA to finish 6-0?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yes. Unrealistic?
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yes. Unrealistic?
There is no game left on the regular schedule that we shouldn't feel good about our chances. But if past play is any indication of the future, we have at least 1 stinker remaining.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Yes. Unrealistic?
There is no game left on the regular schedule that we shouldn't feel good about our chances. But if past play is any indication of the future, we have at least 1 stinker remaining.
Totally. So I won't be too surprised whenever it comes.

I think the more interesting question to think about is whether this team could survive and advance in the tourney having an off-game. That is, are we strong enough to win a game where our shooting tanks or we turn the ball over too many times? Not sure.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Like a game where you rely on Donell Harris making several free throws in crunch time?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Postmaster wrote:Like a game where you rely on Donell Harris making several free throws in crunch time?
Yes! Exactly!

Simon says championship!
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:

Totally. So I won't be too surprised whenever it comes.

I think the more interesting question to think about is whether this team could survive and advance in the tourney having an off-game. That is, are we strong enough to win a game where our shooting tanks or we turn the ball over too many times? Not sure.
We beat both Cal and Furd shooting below 30% on hostile courts...I like our chances...

Yes we've laid some eggs had a few stinkers...the Oregon State game I consider an anomaly, Gettings played 15 minutes this was one of his first "back" games and Jeter played 18 minutes and had 2 rebounds...Gettings also fouled more than usual and was not the force he is now...Dylan Smith missed every shot that was not a free throw...he was 0-10 in his shooting that day, on a day when we desperately needed maturity it was not his day...Nico was 4-14...it was a terrible shooting night for us where we were outrebounded by a more experienced team...I can promise you that won't be the case this thursday...they shot 44% three pointers and 90% free throws...that will be what I expect the cats to show this time around...Baker had more points than Nico and played half as many minutes...it was one of our first true road games when we couldn't win on the road, THAT is over with...OSU lost by 20 to the Stanford team we just beat...they are not as good on the road as they are at home.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

On Dylan Smith: dude has a few weeks left of his college career, so I hope he can find it within himself to have some of his best games in an AZ uniform over the next few games. Get this guy a meditation app, take him to yoga, get him a damn shrink, whatever it bloody takes! For a guy to be *that* hot and cold, it's gotta be mental.

With Nico, it's really just a question of whether he'll make some strides with his poise and decision making over the next few weeks. I'd like to see him reduce his FG attempts by 50% and increase his assists by 1-2 per game. Just think he launches too many forced shots, when he could instead look for Zeke in the post or Josh on the wing.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Beachcat97 wrote:On Dylan Smith: dude has a few weeks left of his college career, so I hope he can find it within himself to have some of his best games in an AZ uniform over the next few games. Get this guy a meditation app, take him to yoga, get him a damn shrink, whatever it bloody takes! For a guy to be *that* hot and cold, it's gotta be mental.

With Nico, it's really just a question of whether he'll make some strides with his poise and decision making over the next few weeks. I'd like to see him reduce his FG attempts by 50% and increase his assists by 1-2 per game. Just think he launches too many forced shots, when he could instead look for Zeke in the post or Josh on the wing.
I think this is a product of teams taking advantage of his immaturity and getting him to speed up the game...when he plays within himself he's solid...hopefully a few home wins solidifies that into a final product.
Captain Obvious

Post by Captain Obvious »

False. Miller has the luxury of 3 future NBA players on his roster. The expectation is for him to win and there's really no excuses for him not to. His inability to manage the talent he has and allow his most talented players to play to their strengths is so mysterious and quite frankly very annoying. No way we're going 6-0 to finish the season. 3-3 is what I'm predicting. CO'Y? Miller? Nope. Hurley actually has the she devils playing very well. Not saying he deserves COY but I think he's doing more with less unlike Miller.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

So the award for COY is only Xs and Os and has nothing to do with recruiting or roster construction?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

PHXCATS wrote:So the award for COY is only Xs and Os and has nothing to do with recruiting or roster construction?
It's those things too, PHX. But if you look at who's won the award historically, it's been a guy whose team either wins the league or is trending upward into March.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Beachcat97 wrote:
PHXCATS wrote:So the award for COY is only Xs and Os and has nothing to do with recruiting or roster construction?
It's those things too, PHX. But if you look at who's won the award historically, it's been a guy whose team either wins the league or is trending upward into March.
If the Cats finish 6-0 it is pretty likely Miller is the COY. The cats were projected to finish 4th in the conf. I’m guessing most people that aren’t Wildcat homers didn’t have them winning it.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Dosia wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
If the Cats finish 6-0 it is pretty likely Miller is the COY. The cats were projected to finish 4th in the conf. I’m guessing most people that aren’t Wildcat homers didn’t have them winning it.
If we finish 6-0, a 4 seed isn't out of the question.
Dosia

Post by Dosia »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Dosia wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Who knows. I would think it would put us in good position, but we would probably have to win a couple of games in Vegas as well. Regardless, my excitement is beginning to ramp up as we get closer to March. Hopefully our Cats take care of business.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Dosia wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
Would also depend on performance in p12 tourney
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Dosia wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:
If we win the last 6 games of the year, a national championship isn't out of the question.
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

Ahhhh . . . I love this time of year. Dad joke season!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:Ahhhh . . . I love this time of year. Dad joke season!
Enjoy it. We have only about a week before 71% of all posts contain the words "cupcakes" or "gravy" in reference to potential opponents and expectations, but have the sole effect of making me hungry and causing me to overeat and gain weight.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:Ahhhh . . . I love this time of year. Dad joke season!
Enjoy it. We have only about a week before 71% of all posts contain the words "cupcakes" or "gravy" in reference to potential opponents and expectations, but have the sole effect of making me hungry and causing me to overeat and gain weight.
Just like ‘97.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Statfreak77

Post by Statfreak77 »

#attack

#nastinessisrequired

Time to BTFD.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: If we finish 6-0, a 4 seed isn't out of the question.
If we finish 6-0, with our NET and other metrics, and a win over Oregon and USC in that mix, I would expect a good showing in the PAC 12 Tournament would net a 3 seed. We would have a 7-1 or 8-1 finish, a conference regular season title, and, presumably, a good win and/or no bad loss in the PAC tournament in that scenario. 25-8 or 26-8, losses to Baylor on the road and Gonzaga by 4 (the visual of the score carries the actual long-since lost story of the game), wins over Oregon, USCX2, Illinois, 10-2 down the stretch, conference champs in a solid PAC...

There aren't enough good teams to keep us off the 3 line in that scenario, however much of a stretch the scenario is. Add a PAC 12 tournament title and change that to 27-7? You have a guaranteed 3, IMO, in that 9-0 scenario.

I figure we will go 5-1, get to the PAC final, finish 25-9, and have a 4 seed for our efforts, as long as we beat Oregon and USC.
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

I can't believe how shitty the zoo is
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote: If we finish 6-0, a 4 seed isn't out of the question.
If we finish 6-0, with our NET and other metrics, and a win over Oregon and USC in that mix, I would expect a good showing in the PAC 12 Tournament would net a 3 seed. We would have a 7-1 or 8-1 finish, a conference regular season title, and, presumably, a good win and/or no bad loss in the PAC tournament in that scenario. 25-8 or 26-8, losses to Baylor on the road and Gonzaga by 4 (the visual of the score carries the actual long-since lost story of the game), wins over Oregon, USCX2, Illinois, 10-2 down the stretch, conference champs in a solid PAC...

There aren't enough good teams to keep us off the 3 line in that scenario, however much of a stretch the scenario is. Add a PAC 12 tournament title and change that to 27-7? You have a guaranteed 3, IMO, in that 9-0 scenario.

I figure we will go 5-1, get to the PAC final, finish 25-9, and have a 4 seed for our efforts, as long as we beat Oregon and USC.
Excellent breakdown, EVC. And given all of that, we'll probably end up a 5 :lol:
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

1 point away from first place.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

scumdevils86 wrote:1 point away from first place.
How differently would we feel about this team and season if they closed out @Oregon and didn’t crumble @ASU?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Frybry02 wrote:
scumdevils86 wrote:1 point away from first place.
How differently would we feel about this team and season if they closed out @Oregon and didn’t crumble @ASU?
Very different.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I really have a good feeling about this team. I know I pretty much always say that so my opinion holds no weight but this is the perfect season for a young team like this. For all of the criticism on Coach & the team, a lot of it actually supports the fact that our upside is damn close to the top of the heap. I'm not necessarily thinking 6-0 out & I don't expect Arizona to even with the PAC tournament BUT, anybody who is surprised when this team does either of those things or makes a deep/Final Four run - I feel like they aren't paying attention. Time for some breaks to fall the 'Cats way.

One time i lost 11 straight hands in Baccarat betting Banker. I was sure Banker was due on the 11th time do i put the rest of my bankroll out there in Banker. I left the table broke and became a hooker to make ends meet.

Being due isn’t really a thing unfortunately. We are just as likely to have shitty luck again as UConn luck.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

One question I'm always asking this time of year: do we have a killer?

The history of March Madness greatness is comprised of teams led by players who, when push came to shove, could hit big shots/FTs late in the game, set the right tone for a single-game elimination format, and ultimately come out tougher and more focused than the opponent. De'Andre Hunger, J. Culver, DiVincenzo, Napier, Kemba...just to name some recent examples. Does this AZ team have that guy?
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:One question I'm always asking this time of year: do we have a killer?

The history of March Madness greatness is comprised of teams led by players who, when push came to shove, could hit big shots/FTs late in the game, set the right tone for a single-game elimination format, and ultimately come out tougher and more focused than the opponent. De'Andre Hunger, J. Culver, DiVincenzo, Napier, Kemba...just to name some recent examples. Does this AZ team have that guy?
Not a lot of top teams do anymore. A lot of these players are friends from the AAU and award circuits. We have a limited minutes MF'er (and I mean that in the best possible way...the Rick Anderson, Gene Edgerson, Wayne Womack, Reggie Geary type of MF'er you like to have), and Zeke certainly isn't immune to getting in someone's head. Zeke basically ended Tres Tinkle's night...when Zeke held on that layup attempt well after the whistle the possession before the elbow, Tinkle was pissed. Then he loses his mind on a simple bump foul. As for going to the line and hitting, I feel good with Nico and Zeke, and more and more, Josh. So, yeah...our youngest players.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EVCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:One question I'm always asking this time of year: do we have a killer?

Not a lot of top teams do anymore. A lot of these players are friends from the AAU and award circuits. We have a limited minutes MF'er (and I mean that in the best possible way...the Rick Anderson, Gene Edgerson, Wayne Womack, Reggie Geary type of MF'er you like to have), and Zeke certainly isn't immune to getting in someone's head. Zeke basically ended Tres Tinkle's night...when Zeke held on that layup attempt well after the whistle the possession before the elbow, Tinkle was pissed. Then he loses his mind on a simple bump foul. As for going to the line and hitting, I feel good with Nico and Zeke, and more and more, Josh. So, yeah...our youngest players.
Nova's had these players, UVA had one last year, so did Auburn, so did Texas Tech. These players are out there, waiting to emerge.

What's interesting, though, is that I'm not sure anyone can see these March superheroes coming. It may sound nuts, but Dylan Smith or Stone Gettings could have a monster tourney game. Get red hot from deep or something. And suddenly we're in the S-16. Happens every year with some teams. It's not always the star player.
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

Zeke and Josh definitely trending this way. Would love to see Josh get some more dog in him.

Thought I saw a little fire out of Hazzard last night too. Koloko seems to have a little edge to him as well.
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

PennZona20 wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:I really have a good feeling about this team. I know I pretty much always say that so my opinion holds no weight but this is the perfect season for a young team like this. For all of the criticism on Coach & the team, a lot of it actually supports the fact that our upside is damn close to the top of the heap. I'm not necessarily thinking 6-0 out & I don't expect Arizona to even with the PAC tournament BUT, anybody who is surprised when this team does either of those things or makes a deep/Final Four run - I feel like they aren't paying attention. Time for some breaks to fall the 'Cats way.

One time i lost 11 straight hands in Baccarat betting Banker. I was sure Banker was due on the 11th time do i put the rest of my bankroll out there in Banker. I left the table broke and became a hooker to make ends meet.

Being due isn’t really a thing unfortunately. We are just as likely to have shitty luck again as UConn luck.
:lol: :lol:

Truth.
Lando05

Post by Lando05 »

Whose gonna be at the game? My 2nd game ever at McKale tomorrow night and I'm bringing a friend from Nebraska whose never been to Tucson. Last time was the Florida game. I'm very excited!
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Cats favored by 5 Sat night.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

Updated standings.

Arizona 9-4
Arizona State 9-4
UCLA 10-5
Colorado 10-5
Oregon 9-5
USC 8-6
Stanford 6-7
California 5-8
Utah 5-9
Oregon State 5-9
Washington State 5-9
Washington 2-12
AZCatGirl

Post by AZCatGirl »

We had TWO chances to win at the line and we choke.

And some of you wonder why we're so negative?!
“The reality is that the hardest games to win are over teams on their home court. Teams that don’t play those games can spin it however they want, but what they’re saying is, ‘We don’t want to lose in our non conference season.’" - Sean Miller