let's talk '21

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Postmaster

Re: let's talk '21

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 6:46 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:34 pm
SCCats wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:59 pm It’s the still loyal to Sean Miller duo!

“Who cares if we are known by all as cheaters, called as such wherever we go AND don’t get results! That’s Arizona basketball!!”
Gosh I wished that I too lived in the land of fairytale make believe where every single team isn’t doing the exact same stuff you’re clutching your pearls at the thought of Sean Miller doing.
Can I drop a standard anti-NCAA hypocrisy rant?

When SCCats refers to cheating allegations, he means we might have allowed a young, black man to get paid for being really talented. That's the public perception.

If we'd simply allowed the money generated by the talents of that young, black man go to an old white administrator like Mark Emmert or Bobby Robbins, we wouldn't be cheating, we'd be virtuous under NCAA rules.

Because that's the NCAA way. It's about the student-athaletes...until it's time for profits.

https://youtu.be/61TMtH3Qw4s
Why do you only want the black players to be paid?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Adam Miller to LSU...

UK still in the hunt for a couple of other transfer PGs
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:08 pm Adam Miller to LSU...

Lol...these programs that've emerged from the scandal not only unpunished but with contract extensions for their coaches...not sure whether to laugh or cry. Miller's going to end up being the scapegoat for all of this.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 12:31 pm

“Who cares if we are known by all as cheaters, called as such wherever we go AND don’t get results! That’s Arizona basketball!!”
Gosh I wished that I too lived in the land of fairytale make believe where every single team isn’t doing the exact same stuff you’re clutching your pearls at the thought of Sean Miller doing.

When SCCats refers to cheating allegations, he means we might have allowed a young, black man to get paid for being really talented. That's the public perception.

If we'd simply allowed the money generated by the talents of that young, black man go to an old white administrator like Mark Emmert or Bobby Robbins, we wouldn't be cheating, we'd be virtuous under NCAA rules.

Because that's the NCAA way. It's about the student-athaletes...until it's time for profits.

Where did he say that?
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I’m just giving him a hard time.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:27 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:08 pm Adam Miller to LSU...

Lol...these programs that've emerged from the scandal not only unpunished but with contract extensions for their coaches...not sure whether to laugh or cry. Miller's going to end up being the scapegoat for all of this.
He already is. And that's why people who've analyzed the whole situation have disdain for President Robbins & Heeke.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

At this point it seems it's Tyty or bust honestly. Hickman leaving UK has helped UK's odds greatly. It doesn't mean he's headed there, but they were a distant third to us and Kansas prior to that occurring, and now they're way more in it than before. I haven't heard anything about Hickman and Arizona yet, but word is he wants to stay real close to home and I'm not sure Arizona is close enough. If he wants to win it won't occur at UW any time soon and if he wants to play a lot it won't happen at Gonzaga any time soon either, so he may just fall into UW's lap or maybe he searches a little further from the PNW. If Tyty doesn't happen it'll be real interesting to see what other PGs end up entering the portal.

We're on a Euro guard with a pretty good sized ceiling, but wouldn't produce much off the bat honestly. I could see Arizona take him as a system fit to develop for further down the road.

Oddly enough I haven't heard much on Kaluma, but if Arizona isn't on him (me not hearing much doesn't mean they're not), regardless of any implications it'd have with current bigs on the roster, they'd be ridiculously stupid, especially with the built in connections with him as Arizona has no one like him on roster and you need someone like him desperately.

Tommy's got work to do.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Thanks Choo. Always appreciate your updates.

Do you think the Hickman/UK situation will further delay TyTy's decision timeline now that UK is now more in play?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EastCoastCat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:57 am Thanks Choo. Always appreciate your updates.

Do you think the Hickman/UK situation will further delay TyTy's decision timeline now that UK is now more in play?
I'm not even sure Tyty knows when he wants to announce any more (really it's up to his dad) and the fact that the G League is involved here too just complicates things further.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Great.
Sounds about right when looking at the Arizona basketball angst barometer...
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

When Tyty didn't commit during that weekend he visited, started getting the sense AZ isn't a serious option for him. G League or Kentucky, imo.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 am When Tyty didn't commit during that weekend he visited, started getting the sense AZ isn't a serious option for him. G League or Kentucky, imo.
Lol dude you're dumb.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:49 am
Beachcat97 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 9:43 am When Tyty didn't commit during that weekend he visited, started getting the sense AZ isn't a serious option for him. G League or Kentucky, imo.
Lol dude you're dumb.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

I want him to commit somewhere already lol. Don't know if I've ever been this tuned into a recruitment but I feel like the sooner the better for us, as we will know sooner to move on or not. It's also pretty odd for us to have 4 open scholarship spots on May 2nd. I'm an impatient person and need answers!
I said what I said and I mean it.
Dave

Post by Dave »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:59 am It's also pretty odd for us to have 4 open scholarship spots on May 2nd.
Maybe the self imposed scholarship reduction rumors aren't rumors.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

I sure miss the days when Lute would offer 3 players for one scholarship position, and say the first one to accept gets it.

But different world now thanks to Miller and staff.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Dave wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:45 am
BeardownZonaZona wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 10:59 am It's also pretty odd for us to have 4 open scholarship spots on May 2nd.
Maybe the self imposed scholarship reduction rumors aren't rumors.
I don't think we're going to self impose ourselves, but we also don't want to overload on guys, as 2022 class will be very important. I doubt we fill all 4 fwiw.
BeardownZonaZona

Merkin wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 11:54 am
I sure miss the days when Lute would offer 3 players for one scholarship position, and say the first one to accept gets it.

Different time in all of college basketball. Players know if a team wants them they can clear a scholly for them by forcing a transfer or decommit. Don't think that'd work nowadays
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

If you're laying down 100k, you want it to be on Deandre Ayton, not Kirk Walters.

Joking aside, I use race in the rant first because it is usually a direct response to the Ayton rumors. #2, because it's uncomfortably true to the NCAA's structure. The South Park skit is so great because it nails the dynamic of middle aged, mostly white, men making a living off the labor of young, mostly black, athletes while directly making those athletes unable to make money off their talents.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It's just the world. 5 stars know their value. Especially this late in the recruiting cycle when there aren't 2 other guys available.

The other way was retaining Akinjo. Whem that didn't happen, we had a hole that needed to be filled. Tyty is clearly the most talented guy who could fill that hole.

Hard to drive a hard bargain when he has options like Kentucky, Kansas and the G League and we have options like...unclear.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:51 am

If you're laying down 100k, you want it to be on Deandre Ayton, not Kirk Walters.

Joking aside, I use race in the rant first because it is usually a direct response to the Ayton rumors. #2, because it's uncomfortably true to the NCAA's structure. The South Park skit is so great because it nails the dynamic of middle aged, mostly white, men making a living off the labor of young, mostly black, athletes while directly making those athletes unable to make money off their talents.
Which one of those guys won more tournament games?
Haha
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 am

It's just the world. 5 stars know their value. Especially this late in the recruiting cycle when there aren't 2 other guys available.

The other way was retaining Akinjo. Whem that didn't happen, we had a hole that needed to be filled. Tyty is clearly the most talented guy who could fill that hole.

Hard to drive a hard bargain when he has options like Kentucky, Kansas and the G League and we have options like...unclear.
Yeah plus it's May. This isn't a situation where it's well before the fall signing period, which is when the "first one to accept gets it" comes into play. If you're in May and through no fault of your own you don't have a starting PG on roster yet, you can't expect a guy as good as this to decide immediately or gtfo. We literally have no leverage. We just have to outwork the competition. Btw I'd keep an eye open after this upcoming weekend is over.
Last edited by ChooChooCat on Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Walters also had more career blocks and steals. Defensive Force!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:05 am

Yeah plus it's May. This isn't a situation where it's well before the fall signing period, which is when the "first one to accept gets it" comes into play. If you're in May and through no fault of your own you don't have a starting PG on roster yet, you can't expect a guy as good as this to decide immediately or gtfo. We literally have no leverage. We just have to outwork the competition. Btw I'd keep an eye open after this upcoming weekend is over.
Insert Scheer eyeball tweet
BeardownZonaZona

Seen a couple insiders for a couple schools saying they're hearing a decision will be made after he comes back from the Iverson Classic. So another week likely until we hear an official decision. I bet some other guys on 247 and Rivals start putting their crystal balls in this weekend and end of the week
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 am Yeah plus it's May. This isn't a situation where it's well before the fall signing period, which is when the "first one to accept gets it" comes into play. If you're in May and through no fault of your own you don't have a starting PG on roster yet, you can't expect a guy as good as this to decide immediately or gtfo. We literally have no leverage. We just have to outwork the competition. Btw I'd keep an eye open after this upcoming weekend is over.
I need to see JET sitting courtside at the Iverson Classic with a Gucci duffle bag between his feet.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 10:44 am
Btw I'd keep an eye open after this upcoming weekend is over.
Stay Tuned....
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

Btw I'd keep an eye open after this upcoming weekend is over.

:mrgreen:

Come on down TW!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

"Kirk Walters... Kirk Walters... Kirk Walters... Kirk Walters!"

We shan't know tassels about Kirk Walters until six months henceforth. Until then you should cease from your refrain about Kirk Walters, who likely isn't fit to be Isaiah Fox's valet.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This Retro Post from May 2003 has been brought to you by the Committee to Resuscitate Hank of SB, and by Council for Reevaluating the Value of Officer Craig
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

How many bagels did KW swipe?
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Postmaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 12:53 pm How many bagels did KW swipe?
Add it to the list. When Belvedere posted the above 19 years ago, Ben Hansen actually responded:

"Kirk Walters is going to be an impactful big man. He has great hands, and his athleticism on both ends makes him a difficult match up for any opponent in the paint. He's certainly not going to be Isaiah Fox's valet."

Belvedere 1, Ben Hansen 0

(Longhorned was and is Belvedere's sock)
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Mono did him in.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Postmaster wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 1:18 pm Mono did him in.
It wasn't when he showed up to pick-up games in a Campbell's Soup t-shirt?

(that's a real deep cut for you old heads)
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Lute said that he signed Walters due to him having "spring", that is he could jump without having to bend his knees.

Too bad he had hands worse than Zeus and Ricky.

However, he did play in the G league for a year, then went back to Michigan to sell printers, or maybe it was paper. Think they made a TV show his escapades in selling paper.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Did he marry the receptionist?
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Jordan Brown has put himself in the transfer portal.
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Irish27 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm Jordan Brown has put himself in the transfer portal.
I keep hollering about it like a hit cat but we've had the worst roster continuity in the nation over the last three seasons and we were just about to return more minutes than any team since the 2014-15 season (TJ's finale) and I was over the moon about what that would mean for our floor/ceiling and the product on the court...

Well fuck all of that. God the number of times this program has just shot my hopes in the face is... too damn many.

Anyways, if we get Arthur Kaluma out of this that will be very nice and hopefully he sticks around a couple of years (or more!). If not, lol at the roster.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Irish27 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 4:52 pm Jordan Brown has put himself in the transfer portal.
Ok, maybe this was inevitable, but I hope it wasn't Ballo.

Because Brown for Ballo is a downgrade for Arizona. I bring Ballo up because I never understood how it wasn't directly recruiting over Brown or Koloko.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:14 pm
Ok, maybe this was inevitable, but I hope it wasn't Ballo.

Because Brown for Ballo is a downgrade for Arizona. I bring Ballo up because I never understood how it wasn't directly recruiting over Brown or Koloko.
I appreciate guys like Ballo and Koloko mostly because they'll never tempt a coach to play them at the four. They're centers through and through. Brown tempts you to play him at the four but he simply hasn't developed the ball skills or hip mobility to be effective there. If we swap Brown for Ballo and Kaluma, that's an upgrade. If we swap Brown for Ballo... that's a downgrade this season but at least we'll know that Tommy won't be running a two big line-up.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Land Kaluma and you won’t give two shits about Jordan Brown.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Let’s say we land Kaluma...this our starting lineup? Or would Kaluma come off the bench so Koloko could play the 5?

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:32 pm Let’s say we land Kaluma...this our starting lineup? Or would Kaluma come off the bench so Koloko could play the 5?

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
That would be mine yes and I assume it would be Lloyd’s.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:40 pm
IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:32 pm Let’s say we land Kaluma...this our starting lineup? Or would Kaluma come off the bench so Koloko could play the 5?

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
Love it.

Bench of Koloko, Dalen, Nowell..that’s an 8 man rotation. Prefer to pull in a CG (transfer) to play over Nowell
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

I don't think it makes a difference but who knows
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:58 pm

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
Love it.

Bench of Koloko, Dalen, Nowell..that’s an 8 man rotation. Prefer to pull in a CG (transfer) to play over Nowell
I think we do land a CG (transfer).
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

RondaeShimmy wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:10 pm I don't think it makes a difference but who knows
Just adds another dynamic to the recruitment. Hickman leaving has more of an impact.
BeardownZonaZona

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:29 pm

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
Love it.

I'm assuming the kid out of Utah?
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
Love it.

Pelle?
BeardownZonaZona

goslingswagg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pm

PG- TBD
SG- Kerr
SF- Benn
PF- Kaluma
C- Tubelis
???
Love it.

Pelle?
It's him or the kid from Europe. Kid from Europe looks good but I don't think he's ready to contribute right away. Probably doesn't play too much as a freshman
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 7:05 pm
goslingswagg wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 6:51 pm

Love it.

Pelle?
It's him or the kid from Europe. Kid from Europe looks good but I don't think he's ready to contribute right away. Probably doesn't play too much as a freshman
Why not both?