Most surprising player

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Beachcat97

Most surprising player

Post by Beachcat97 »

Today I was thinking about Derrick Williams. Has there been another player at AZ who arrived in college with so little fanfare but who went on to do such big things (Pac FOY, Pay POY, led us to the E8, #2 overall pick in '11 draft)? It's not to say that DW was completely off the radar coming into college. He was ranked #72 in his class by ESPN. Still, that's not exactly the kind of ranking that could've prepared us for what was coming. This guy absolutely killed it in his two seasons at AZ.

I'm wondering, then, has there ever been a player as surprising as (or more surprising than) DW at AZ, either under Miller or Lute? A guy whose performance as a college player so greatly exceeded his expectations?
pc in NM

Re: Most surprising player

Post by pc in NM »

Steeeevvvveee Keeeeerrrrr!!!!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Steve Kerr was a nobody out of high school.

Beyond Kerr, Gilbert Arenas was tied for #99 in HS rankings. He was tied with a guy named Greg Morton who never averaged more than 3.9 ppg at Seton Hall.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Didn't realize Kerr was so underrated coming out of HS.

Arenas, yeah. I remember he was a little off radar.

Did Kerr win Pac POY, though?
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Wasn't Kerr's only other offer LBSU?

Didn't Ruben Douglas transfer from Arizona when Arenas was signed? Not like Arenas was unknown.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Beachcat97 wrote:Didn't realize Kerr was so underrated coming out of HS.

Arenas, yeah. I remember he was a little off radar.

Did Kerr win Pac POY, though?
No, but he was 2x All Pac 10. Kerr probably would have if it wasn't for Sean Elliott.

He transferred in, but TJ McConnell was #348 nationally in 24/7 rankings and was a 2 time All Pac 12 player and should have won Pac 12 POY his senior year.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Merkin wrote:Wasn't Kerr's only other offer LBSU?

Didn't Ruben Douglas transfer from Arizona when Arenas was signed? Not like Arenas was unknown.
No, he transferred after practices started and it became obvious Gilbert Arenas was too damn good to come off the bench. Even then Douglas didn't want to transfer, but his dad forced his hand.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Steve Kerr played in the backcourt alongside Craig McMillan, who was Olson's first real top-ranked recruit at Arizona.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

McMillan was the first McDonalds All American at Arizona.
scumdevils86

Post by scumdevils86 »

The world if recruiting and rankings and all that was a little different in the early 80s compared to 2010 though. I think it's hard to make the comparison really.
CopaCat

Post by CopaCat »

Beachcat97 wrote:Today I was thinking about Derrick Williams. Has there been another player at AZ who arrived in college with so little fanfare but who went on to do such big things (Pac FOY, Pay POY, led us to the E8, #2 overall pick in '11 draft)? It's not to say that DW was completely off the radar coming into college. He was ranked #72 in his class by ESPN. Still, that's not exactly the kind of ranking that could've prepared us for what was coming. This guy absolutely killed it in his two seasons at AZ.

I'm wondering, then, has there ever been a player as surprising as (or more surprising than) DW at AZ, either under Miller or Lute? A guy whose performance as a college player so greatly exceeded his expectations?

Derrick Williams also became one of the most disappointing players in the NBA, at least for someone who was a Wildcats and TWolves fan like me. For some reason Williams thought he would try to become a wing player once he got to the league, though his best skills were that of an undersized PF(not a big issue in the modern NBA). He had one of the fastest second jumps I have seen from a player. His quickness as an undersized PF would've kept him in the league along with his stretch 4 ability. I maintain Williams would still be a very productive NBA player had he not gone down the road of trying to become an NBA wing.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Can I add a dark horse?

Kyle Fogg. IMO, Fogg might be the ex-Cat who did the most with the least and is continually overlooked. #180 in his class.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Tom Tolbert was at UCI, then a JC, and had a long NBA career.

Jud Buechler had a higher ranking as a volleyball player if memory serves, and also had a long NBA career.

Luke Walton was #71, and also did well in the NBA.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

CopaCat wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:Today I was thinking about Derrick Williams. Has there been another player at AZ who arrived in college with so little fanfare but who went on to do such big things (Pac FOY, Pay POY, led us to the E8, #2 overall pick in '11 draft)? It's not to say that DW was completely off the radar coming into college. He was ranked #72 in his class by ESPN. Still, that's not exactly the kind of ranking that could've prepared us for what was coming. This guy absolutely killed it in his two seasons at AZ.

Derrick Williams also became one of the most disappointing players in the NBA, at least for someone who was a Wildcats and TWolves fan like me. For some reason Williams thought he would try to become a wing player once he got to the league, though his best skills were that of an undersized PF(not a big issue in the modern NBA). He had one of the fastest second jumps I have seen from a player. His quickness as an undersized PF would've kept him in the league along with his stretch 4 ability. I maintain Williams would still be a very productive NBA player had he not gone down the road of trying to become an NBA wing.
I feel you, Copa. Hey, I'm a Detroit Pistons fan. Imagine my disappointment with Stanley Johnson's first few years. He was also a lotto pick, and most expected him to be a solid 2/3 at the next level. Not so much.

D-Will got a little unlucky with the teams he played on. For the purposes of this thread, I'm not really talking about these guys as pro players, strictly their time at AZ. Williams was such a joy to watch in his two years. I remember that Solo was the guy most had pegged as our gem of that '09 class, and while it took him longer to blossom, Solo did turn into a very good college player. But D-Will just exploded out of the gate. No one saw that coming. And his performance vs. Duke in the S16 is as epic a performance we've seen an AZ player have in the tourney, ever.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Josiah Turner may be the most surprising player at Arizona... but not in a good way.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Alieberman wrote:Josiah Turner may be the most surprising player at Arizona... but not in a good way.
Oh, if we're going for least pleasantly surprising, there are plenty of candidates, Josiah being a good name to start with.

Kyryl, Bejarano, Chol, Sidiki, Pitts...and these are just some of the more recent ones.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Beachcat97 wrote:
Alieberman wrote:Josiah Turner may be the most surprising player at Arizona... but not in a good way.
Oh, if we're going for least pleasantly surprising, there are plenty of candidates, Josiah being a good name to start with.

Kyryl, Bejarano, Chol, Sidiki, Pitts...and these are just some of the more recent ones.
Emmanuel Akot, worst 5 star ever for Arizona.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

Oh man...hard to argue against Akot. And it pains me to say it, but Randolph would have to be among the least successful prized recruits we've had under Miller.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote:
Beachcat97 wrote:

This is before 5 stars, but Dennis Latimore's ranking was borderline 5 star. I think he was worse than Akot. I still think Akot can be a decent player. This is the only thing I could tell you about Latimore's career:

https://youtu.be/0-sAtBTBkpA" target="_blank
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Yeah, Arenas was a major surprise. Not considered the jewel of the class, but became a starter by day one and an integral part of one of the program’s best ever teams. Overlooked in the NBA draft, but quickly became a star, with his NBA career derailed mostly by injuries (and the gun incident).
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

I seem to recall quite a clamor of “play Latti MORE”.

He was one of those guys that showed flashes and crowd wanted to see more of him but seems the staff didn’t see the same stuff.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

midnightx wrote:Yeah, Arenas was a major surprise. Not considered the jewel of the class, but became a starter by day one and an integral part of one of the program’s best ever teams. Overlooked in the NBA draft, but quickly became a star, with his NBA career derailed mostly by injuries (and the gun incident).
What I always found ironic was that had he done the same thing with the guns in say Phoenix he wouldn’t have been breaking laws.

At least from what I remember.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Merkin wrote:Wasn't Kerr's only other offer LBSU?

Fullerton I believe. And Gonzaga late.

Douglas practiced with the '99-'00 team. Arenas dominated Douglas and it was clear his minutes would be slashed. He opted to transfer after missing the first exhibition.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Is TJ Mcconnell eligible? I know he was a transfer but did anyone expect him to come in and be the heart and soul of a couple great teams? I thought he would be a solid addition, but nothing compared to what he accomplished at U of A in such little time and continues to accomplish now in the NBA.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:Can I add a dark horse?

Kyle Fogg. IMO, Fogg might be the ex-Cat who did the most with the least and is continually overlooked. #180 in his class.
Love this pick...and probably still underrated when we start to discuss some of the great cats who have played for us.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

billk78 wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:Can I add a dark horse?

Love this pick...and probably still underrated when we start to discuss some of the great cats who have played for us.
His final season was an all time kick-in-the-nuts year for the team. Elite Eight the prior year, top 5 recruiting class coming in... then Josiah and Sidki and Angelo all flame out, Natyazhko goes full kook, and Parrom gets shot and sits 75% of the season. Good seasons from Fogg, Solo, Perry, Bunnies, BLav all wasted.
BibbysTowelDude

Post by BibbysTowelDude »

Ivan Radenovic should be in the discussion at least.

Chin nuts too! :lol: :lol: :lol:
ByJoveByJingle

Post by ByJoveByJingle »

BibbysTowelDude wrote:Ivan Radenovic should be in the discussion at least.

Wow. That was so long ago, his chin must be sagging down to his belt by now.
ASUHATER!

Post by ASUHATER! »

Remember when Radenovic went for 37 points, 9 rebounds and 7 assists against Stanford in 2007?

One if the better games I've seen by an Arizona player in the 17 years I've been a fan.
i was going to put the ua/asu records here...but i forgot what they were.

i'll just go with fuck asu.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Can Merkin retrieve that pic for us? It was taken in a Hooters.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

How about a guy that comes in as a Freshman; scores four points and grabs a grand total of five rebounds while committing eight personal fouls; then as a Sophomore really pours it on with a total of 38 points, 21 rebounds and 20 personal fouls?

After that rather inglorious start I don't think that anyone in this wide world would have predicted that the Arizona Wildcats very first NBA first round draft pick would turn out to be Larry Demic (#9 overall by the NY Knicks).
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Unheralded recruit, Josh Pastner, was undefeated in appearances throughout his playing career at Arizona....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

On the disappointing side of surprising it would be hard to beat "the next Sean Elliott" Deron Johnson.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Radenovich...wow. Haven't thought about that name for a while.

He was actually pretty damn good.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Very nice start to Ivan's career, willing to give up half a year's eligibility too since he started mid season.
Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

hahaha

Amazing, Merk.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Merkin wrote:Very nice start to Ivan's career, willing to give up half a year's eligibility too since he started mid season.
Longhorned wrote:
ByJoveByJingle wrote:

The fact that Merkin can retrieve this pic on a moment's notice from so long ago is just 1 of the many reasons why this community is so great.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

The Serbian Sniper!
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Thank you, Merkin.

Drunken Ivan's misapprehension that the hand on his neck belonged to the Hooter girl instead of Mr. Chinnuts will never stop being funny.