2010’s all decade team

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IndianaZonaFan

2010’s all decade team

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

@MarchMadness is doing an all decade team tournament on Twitter. They are only putting five player teams and they gave us TJ, Stanley, AG, DWill, and Lauri

This made me start thinking who should actually be on this list for us (and adding in bench players)

My List:

PG: T.J. McConnell
SG: Alonzo Trier
SF: Aaron Gordon
PF: Derrick Williams
C: Deandre Ayton

Bench
Stanley Johnson
Nick Johnson
Lauri Markkanen
Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
Kaleb Tarczewski
Brandon Ashley
Kyle Fogg
Solomon Hill
Beachcat97

Re: 2010’s all decade team

Post by Beachcat97 »

For my starting five, I'd go:

PG: TJM
SG: SJ
SF: AG
PF: LM
C: DA

It's a really tough call between Lauri and D-Will for that 4 spot, but the prospect of AG, LM and DA in the same frontcourt is too sexy to pass up.
Longhorned

Post by Longhorned »

Maybe others view Stanley Johnson differently than I do.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Either Rondae is on my team or I walk.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Longhorned wrote:Maybe others view Stanley Johnson differently than I do.
NJ and AT would also be good choices at SG.
rl2013

Post by rl2013 »

Nick Johnson should be a lock in everyone's starting 5. Dude was a wooden award finalist!
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

rl2013 wrote:Nick Johnson should be a lock in everyone's starting 5. Dude was a wooden award finalist!
But Trier was the was the 2nd most efficient offensive Guard in the last 25 years (Buddy Hield is 1st).
rl2013

Post by rl2013 »

IndianaZonaFan wrote:
rl2013 wrote:Nick Johnson should be a lock in everyone's starting 5. Dude was a wooden award finalist!
But Trier was the was the 2nd most efficient offensive Guard in the last 25 years (Buddy Hield is 1st).
and a defensive matador. NJ's two way play was far superior to AT's offensive efficiency on a team that vastly under performed throughout the season. I'm probably blinded by the success that NJ's team had, but eye test wise I don't hold AT anywhere close to NJ in my mind.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

1. Josiah Turner.
2. Kobi Simmons.
3. Terrance Ferguson.
4. Red/Blue game Sidiki Johnson.
5. Grant Jerrett.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:1. Josiah Turner.
2. Kobi Simmons.
3. Terrance Ferguson.
4. Red/Blue game Sidiki Johnson.
5. Grant Jerrett.
Lol.

I don’t even know what to call this team. The “almost famous” lineup?
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

rl2013 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
and a defensive matador. NJ's two way play was far superior to AT's offensive efficiency on a team that vastly under performed throughout the season. I'm probably blinded by the success that NJ's team had, but eye test wise I don't hold AT anywhere close to NJ in my mind.
It's probably Nick at the two, but it's hard to deny how crucial it is in March to have a guy like Trier who can just go out and get a bucket in the half court.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'll go with the below:

PG: TJ
SG: Nick
SF: Trier
PF: DWill
C: Ayton

Love AG but I like my offense a lot more here. Defense is super stout with two dogs at lead guard, Ayton as a monster rim protector when playing at center and DWill as the ultimate off ball help defender.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

rl2013 wrote:
IndianaZonaFan wrote:
You make a compelling argument for why Nick should be first off the bench.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:I'll go with the below:

Love AG but I like my offense a lot more here. Defense is super stout with two dogs at lead guard, Ayton as a monster rim protector when playing at center and DWill as the ultimate off ball help defender.
Depends if you get sophmore year DWill only. Soph DWill was exceptional. All other versions of DWill I'd rank behind AG.

I agree with the remainder of your picks, although part of me would rather have Solomon Hill at the 3, just because he's more of a facilitator for the other guys. The second sub I'd consider would be Lauri for Ayton. I know that might be heresy, but Lauri is so underrated.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Depends if you get sophmore year DWill only. Soph DWill was exceptional. All other versions of DWill I'd rank behind AG.

I agree with the remainder of your picks, although part of me would rather have Solomon Hill at the 3, just because he's more of a facilitator for the other guys. The second sub I'd consider would be Lauri for Ayton. I know that might be heresy, but Lauri is so underrated.
Yeah I'm assuming "peak season" for each of these (Sr. TJ, Jr. Trier, Jr. Nick, So. DWill). Trier as a junior had higher assist numbers (incl. Ass %, A:TO, and raw totals) than Solo... it can be tough to remember that part of his game but he played really well off both Lauri and Ayton.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:

Yeah I'm assuming "peak season" for each of these (Sr. TJ, Jr. Trier, Jr. Nick, So. DWill). Trier as a junior had higher assist numbers (incl. Ass %, A:TO, and raw totals) than Solo... it can be tough to remember that part of his game but he played really well off both Lauri and Ayton.
Solo had better defensive number and he was less ball dominant than Zo. I'm not hating on Zo, but if I'm pairing DWill with Ayton or Lauri, I want those guys getting the rock a lot.

Especially if we're talking peak DWill. Peak DWill, I'd actually pair him with Lauri to not clog the middle. DWill was murder in the lane as a soph and drew a ton of fouls.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Solo had better defensive number and he was less ball dominant than Zo. I'm not hating on Zo, but if I'm pairing DWill with Ayton or Lauri, I want those guys getting the rock a lot.

Especially if we're talking peak DWill. Peak DWill, I'd actually pair him with Lauri to not clog the middle. DWill was murder in the lane as a soph and drew a ton of fouls.
The spacing provided in a Lauri / DWill front court would be bonkers.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Solo had better defensive number and he was less ball dominant than Zo. I'm not hating on Zo, but if I'm pairing DWill with Ayton or Lauri, I want those guys getting the rock a lot.

The spacing provided in a Lauri / DWill front court would be bonkers.
Also, they were both skilled post players. Lauri didn't always emphasize that part of his game, but when he was aggressive in the post, he got stuff done.

Having a 57% and 42% 3 point shooter at the 4 and 5 would be a positive asset for my 5 as well. They're both snipers, post threats and can fit basically any offensive system.

Ayton was awesome, but he's a post dominator and his defense...I trust Lauri more.
midnightx

Post by midnightx »

Nick Johnson over Trier any day of the week.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

midnightx wrote:Nick Johnson over Trier any day of the week.
Trier would have gotten the shot off.
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

All-Decade 10 man team - based on Win Shares:

15.1 Solomon Hill
14.6 Kaleb Tarczewski
13.7 Nick Johnson
12.2 Derrick Williams
12.1 Dusan Ristic
11.9 Allonzo Trier
11.7 T.J. McConnell
10.9 Brandon Ashley
10.8 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
10.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

KaibabKat wrote: 10.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright

PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

KaibabKat wrote:All-Decade 10 man team - based on Win Shares:

15.1 Solomon Hill
14.6 Kaleb Tarczewski
13.7 Nick Johnson
12.2 Derrick Williams
12.1 Dusan Ristic
11.9 Allonzo Trier
11.7 T.J. McConnell
10.9 Brandon Ashley
10.8 Rondae Hollis-Jefferson
10.1 Parker Jackson-Cartwright

How about best single season win shares ? That would be much more indicative to a fitting all decade team.
PennZona20

Post by PennZona20 »

I’d go .....

TJ
Trier
AG
Lauri
Ayton

It’s so tough to leave DWill off this team because he was by far the most productive post guy we had but call me a sucker for high ceiling talent.

Also went w Trier over NJ because we have all the D we need w the other guys. I could change my mind though if we are factoring in chemistry because we don’t need “isozo” dribbling the whole clock out w all those weapons and tj/nj is a crazy team leader backcourt.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

PennZona20 wrote:I’d go .....

TJ
Trier
AG
Lauri
Ayton

It’s so tough to leave DWill off this team because he was by far the most productive post guy we had but call me a sucker for high ceiling talent.

Also went w Trier over NJ because we have all the D we need w the other guys. I could change my mind though if we are factoring in chemistry because we don’t need “isozo” dribbling the whole clock out w all those weapons and tj/nj is a crazy team leader backcourt.
Seriously, though, "high ceiling talent" means nothing in the era of one-and-done"....
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman