Let's Talk '22

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

EastCoastCat

Re: Let's Talk '22

Post by EastCoastCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:49 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:44 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:37 pm
EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:32 pm If he can stay around 2-3 years I'm all in with that type of recruit as long as the potential is there which it looks like there is.

I'm a little like "whoa, a 4-star commitment on basically the 2nd day of the job? I likes!"
It's a happy coincidence. He was down to Zaga with Lloyd as his lead recruiter and Arizona with Murphy as his lead recruiter.

So I'd imagine Lloyd's closing pitch was pretty straightforward. You like me, you like the U of A, it's your home state...
And that's fine and I get it.

But as I tell people who work for me, it's about the end results. Doesn't matter if it was an easy slam dunk or it took long hours to get it done. Nobody really cares how the sausage is made, just that it gets delivered and tastes good. ;)
I get it. One of my personal opinions is that not screwing up the easy stuff is an underrated value in success.

There aren't extra points for degree of difficulty. A lot of life is converting the simple stuff expeditiously so you can focus energy on the difficult things.
Got that right Spiff.
One of lines I use quite often "let's first focus on the low hanging fruit."
Easy wins matter just as much as hard ones and you get those out of the way first then you can sweat the tough shit. Otherwise, you can end up getting nothing accomplished.

But I digress...

How 'bout CTL? Hope he continues to kick butt and deliver a Top 15 (yeah, I'm greedy) team in '22!
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:58 pm Got that right Spiff.
One of lines I use quite often "let's first focus on the low hanging fruit."
Easy wins matter just as much as hard ones and you get those out of the way first then you can sweat the tough shit. Otherwise, you can end up getting nothing accomplished.

But I digress...

How 'bout CTL? Hope he continues to kick butt and deliver a Top 15 (yeah, I'm greedy) team in '22!
Very much. Beating NAU might not be something to write home about, but if you play the game, you might as well win the game.

Miller got a break when Floyd imploded at SC and DWill was back on the market and he converted that. Lloyd got a break by melding Anderson's top two options and he converted that. Nothing wrong with that. It's how you build.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Some notes on Dylan Anderson:

* 7' with a 7'2 wingspan, size 19 foot
* Prefers to style himself as an NBA small forward / unicorn... might actually have the tools to achieve it; but we should probably think of him as being in the Lauri mold at Arizona (Lauri-lite)
* Has turned down offers from prep schools like Oak Hill and Prolific because his family prefers he have a normal high school experience
* Played on the Team USA Junior National training team
* Older brother is a 6'6" wing who now plays at Mizzou... was reportedly a dead-eye shooter as a high school player
* Mother is a hall of fame high jumper... Dylan was a state JV high jumping champ as a 10 year old
* Father is Rob Anderson who played college ball at Illinois and now runs the Arizona Supreme, a Nike AAU team. This relationship could grow into something very fruitful for Lloyd
* Father said during recruitment that they were focused on personnel and style of play, to ensure the best fit for Dylan
* Father has drilled him on preparing for success...

“The biggest thing for us is the history of the program as far as what they’ve done with guys in Dylan’s position. Basically, how they’ve developed them. Because you hear about all the time or guys go to a school, and they get over recruited, and they don’t get developed. And so that’s a big thing for me. When a player comes into your freshman year, how are you going to develop him on and off the court and what are the opportunities that there are for him to make an impact for the team right away. We have good schools to choose from If it’s only basketball-related. Some coaches tell me that Dylan ‘is a pro.’ He has an opportunity to be a pro, yes. How are we going to develop him to get him there? I’m very realistic. I’m in the gym with him every day, and we’re focused on certain things, and I think he has a very good opportunity to have a very bright future in basketball, but he’s got a long way to go still.”
Last edited by YoDeFoe on Fri Apr 16, 2021 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:40 pm Some notes on Dylan Anderson:

* 7' with a 7'2 wingspan, size 19 foot
* Prefers to style himself as an NBA small forward / unicorn... might actually have the tools to achieve it; but we should probably think of him as being in the Lauri mold at Arizona
* Has turned down offers from prep schools like Oak Hill and Prolific because his family prefers he have a normal college experience
* Played on the Team USA Junior National training team
* Older brother is a 6'6" wing who now plays at Mizzou... was reportedly a dead-eye shooter as a high school player
* Mother is a hall of fame high jumper... Dylan was a state JV high jumping champ as a 10 year old
* Father is Rob Anderson who played college ball at Illinois and now runs the Arizona Supreme, a Nike AAU team. This relationship could grow into something very fruitful for Lloyd
* Father said during recruitment that they were focused on personnel and style of play, to ensure the best fit for Dylan
* Father has drilled him on preparing for success...

“The biggest thing for us is the history of the program as far as what they’ve done with guys in Dylan’s position. Basically, how they’ve developed them. Because you hear about all the time or guys go to a school, and they get over recruited, and they don’t get developed. And so that’s a big thing for me. When a player comes into your freshman year, how are you going to develop him on and off the court and what are the opportunities that there are for him to make an impact for the team right away. We have good schools to choose from If it’s only basketball-related. Some coaches tell me that Dylan ‘is a pro.’ He has an opportunity to be a pro, yes. How are we going to develop him to get him there? I’m very realistic. I’m in the gym with him every day, and we’re focused on certain things, and I think he has a very good opportunity to have a very bright future in basketball, but he’s got a long way to go still.”
Very refreshing to see in this day and age of get that quick dollar as fast as possible, happy to have this mentality back in the program.
mofo

Post by mofo »

Low hanging fruit aside, the optics of this have to be really good for other recruits out there. "Dylan couldn't wait another day to get to Arizona with Lloyd. I want some of that"
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m assuming this coming week will be big in terms of finding out who stays or go’s after CTL’s “sit down” with each player.
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Man I hope he can instill in those guys some confidence in the program and start some trust building. He is in a really tough spot. I can't imagine how the players are feeling right now.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

That's a 7 footer :shock:
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

It makes me happy our top 5 2022 recruits are currently:

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan and
5. Dylan
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am It makes me happy our top 5 2022 recruits are currently:

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan and
5. Dylan
He spits that hot fire!
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

We were a top 20 team for 21-22 before Sean Miller was fired.

I'm not sure we'll be back at that level until '23-'24 at the earliest. I'm not sure what we've accomplished other than to placate some bloodthirsty members of the media. The fanbase that wanted Miller gone are going to be pretty quiet next season if we're scuffing toward an NIT bid.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

gronk4heisman wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:01 am
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:15 am It makes me happy our top 5 2022 recruits are currently:

1. Dylan
2. Dylan
3. Dylan
4. Dylan and
5. Dylan
He spits that hot fire!
Now this guy gets it.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Our (Assistants) Hall of Fame coach needs to get it in gear.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

zonagrad wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 10:45 am We were a top 20 team for 21-22 before Sean Miller was fired.

I'm not sure we'll be back at that level until '23-'24 at the earliest. I'm not sure what we've accomplished other than to placate some bloodthirsty members of the media. The fanbase that wanted Miller gone are going to be pretty quiet next season if we're scuffing toward an NIT bid.
The firing was about Robbins's ego.

So far, 21-22 looks like a potential step backwards, but that could change with Tyty and Kaluma. Long term, Lloyd has his work cut out, because Tyty isn't staying, Mathurin will go draft and our guard roster needs additions badly.

We went from a top 20/top 15 team with a pretty loaded guard rotation to ??? with guard being a potential liability. Lloyd can still do work, but he also has to do work because the foundation isn't there any more.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Goes to the same prep school Kaluma was going to, Kaluma could've opened the pipeline.

His ranking is interesting, #70 in the composite and #38 by 247, #20 by rivals, #86 by ESPN
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

UA getting visit from 5 star PG
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Kysizneeski is retiring after next season. Can Lloyd keep some kids in the West?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Interview with Dylan Anderson. He wants to be one and done.

https://247sports.com/college/arizona/A ... 166070297/
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Newsflash. All kids want to be one and done. The goal is to be a pro. If they can do that after one year then they should go for it. They’re not playing for your entertainment or joy. They’re making a career from basketball. Something any of us wish we could do. I don’t fault any of them for wanting that. But I fault the ones who leave before they’re ready. That’s the issue...but it’s a national deal at this point. Not one Arizona solely bears.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Someone to keep an eye on.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Heavy Arkansas favorite.
HiCat

Post by HiCat »

dmjcat wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:37 pm Heavy Arkansas favorite.
Yep, looks that way.

Lloyd, 6-6, 195 pounds, of Chatsworth (Calif.) Sierra Canyon in December announced his top schools as Arkansas, Arizona, Oregon, Rutgers, Washington, Nebraska, Illinois and Baylor. On April 26, he said he no longer had a top eight and opened up his recruitment to other schools.

His high praise of the Hogs has been constant.

"Arkansas was one of the first schools I really got to talk to when everything started and like one of the first high major schools that was recruiting me," Lloyd said. "I got a relationship with Coach Muss early, and the rest of the staff has been on me tough ever since then."

The level of communication separates the Hogs from others.

"I think the biggest thing is they keep their whole staff in constant communication with you where some schools it will be like two people," Lloyd said. "I'm pretty sure I've been in contact with everybody in the Arkansas program. It's just constant communication with members on the staff."

https://www.nwaonline.com/news/2021/may ... tar-guard/
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

I miss Choo.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:31 pm I miss Choo.
Is he not posting anymore because of the other site?
2019 & 2021 Basketball RAP Winner/2022 Football RAP Winner
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Irish27 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm
Apparently so. Scheer thought Choo was stealing his premium information, and as we all know Choo has his own sources.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:07 pm
Irish27 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:59 pm
Apparently so. Scheer thought Choo was stealing his premium information, and as we all know Choo has his own sources.
Then that shouldn't stop him from posting here. Too bad, I enjoyed his posts.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

Spaceman Spiff too apparently.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

Merkin wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:28 pm Spaceman Spiff too apparently.
That's true! Two rather large absences I'm feeling on here.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I’m hoping this will be temporary and they will be back once we get closer to the start of the season.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:38 pm Jaden Bradley visiting tomorrow

https://247sports.com/player/jaden-bradley-46057179/
“We see him as a great teacher and player developer inside a head coach’s body,” Nate Bradley (father of Jaden) said of Lloyd.

Yeah hopefully a great teacher, developer, and head coach. Hard not to think that recruits will want to see that last part before trusting that he's not just occupying a head coach's body.
BeardownZonaZona

Post by BeardownZonaZona »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 pm
Very sad to not have those two around. Both were both very active and great members of the board. Very passionate basketball fans. I was nosy and searched Choo's profile on here and noticed it didn't exist anymore. Didn't think there was a deactivate option so I'm assuming he deleted his account, and that makes me sad
I said what I said and I mean it.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

BeardownZonaZona wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:13 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:05 pm
Very sad to not have those two around. Both were both very active and great members of the board. Very passionate basketball fans. I was nosy and searched Choo's profile on here and noticed it didn't exist anymore. Didn't think there was a deactivate option so I'm assuming he deleted his account, and that makes me sad
Don't think you can delete your account. Only admins can. That's why Katzenfreund deleted all his posts.

Here's Choo:

memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=4213
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Last edited by dmjcat on Sun Jun 20, 2021 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Not sure why Scheer has any sway over this site.
Even if Choo was retelling what he read over there, I don’t see what his beef is.
You publish something, people are going to talk about it.
Maybe Scheer and JMJ should have cancelled Choo’s account over there instead of berating this site. Or, I don’t know, spoken to Choo directly about their concerns?

Spiff was pissed at the u of a admin and said he was going to step away.

Maybe an active MOD here can reach out to Choo?

Until then maybe an insider can tell me why Nancy Evans left the staff. We haven’t done well since she left.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

Somebody on here knew why Nancy left but would never spill the beans.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Postmaster wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:51 pm Not sure why Scheer has any sway over this site.
Even if Choo was retelling what he read over there, I don’t see what his beef is.
You publish something, people are going to talk about it.
Maybe Scheer and JMJ should have cancelled Choo’s account over there instead of berating this site. Or, I don’t know, spoken to Choo directly about their concerns?

Spiff was pissed at the u of a admin and said he was going to step away.

Maybe an active MOD here can reach out to Choo?

Until then maybe an insider can tell me why Nancy Evans left the staff. We haven’t done well since she left.
I DM'd Choo... haven't heard anything back.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 pm Somebody on here knew why Nancy left but would never spill the beans.
I remember someone at TOS saying that after a certain time they would explain but never heard anything.

I have a friend who was on that last title team and she has no clue what happened.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

UAEebs86 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 pm Somebody on here knew why Nancy left but would never spill the beans.
I know what Nancy did and I promised I would not say anything. What she did was out of character and it was to a former UofA player. That is all I can say.
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

My Opinion but I think Choo and Spiff were probably taken a back by the way it was brought to this board. It could’ve been handled much better to be honest. Like someone said hopefully they’ll be back at some point. I’m on both boards and it was clear to me that Choo had his own sources and I feel like Choo gave us the best info out there as best he could.
azcat49

Post by azcat49 »

Yea it’s BS we lost those guys and while I really like JMJ, to call them out publicly was bad. It cost us a couple of great posters while JMJ basically just did a hit and run for his buddy Scheer
Last edited by azcat49 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waiting at the Rose Bowl patiently for the cats to arrive
"I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more wildcat sports"
2019 BDW Survivor Pool Champion
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Hang tight…

Spiff said something like he was taking his regular offseason break, and Choo never said anything to my knowledge.

Let’s not go speculating and causing an issue where there might not be one. If one or both left due to feeling like they got called out, I’d want to hear it from them.

As for WildcatAuthority, they don’t get to tell us what we can do or say with our board. And I’ll just leave it at that.
Merkin

Post by Merkin »

This is what Spiff said.
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:57 am
JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm 1. Jason requested on WCA that premium content stay on their forum
2. Immediately one of this site’s posters was mentioned.
3. Jason confirmed yes to that poster, and said there were 2 others he found.
4. In my haste to create a post that engaged who we were in the beginning with hopes of who we would be moving forward, I made this thread.
5. It thoroughly baffled or angered everyone.
6. I’ve played the clown since.

That’s about the gist of it.

Again, I understand the criticisms.
Can I say I'm deeply offended by this?

I've spent over 10 years posting literally thousands of ignorant opinions pulled directly out of my ass on the topic of Arizona Basketball. I feel like all that work has been greatly cheapened by the implication that the BS I've worked so hard to spew is being libeled as potentially the reposting of an educated opinion.

I work hard to be an uneducated outsider, and it cuts me to the quick when that effort is minimized.

It's also fairly ludicrous anyone I was plagiarizing thoughts like "Sidiki Johnson could be a good one" from high level sources with actual insight. I excel at taking the sarcastic posts of others too seriously, defending Sean Miller's honor even though he does not know I exist and posting ill-informed and half-assed theories about Arizona Basketball and have never once taken any of that from premium.

Good day, sir.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Pretty funny stuff. I don’t think that’s legitimately saying he’s pissed and leaving.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Didn't Choo usually disappear when things are slow and there's no news to discuss?
gronk4heisman

Post by gronk4heisman »

Chicat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 pm Hang tight…

Spiff said something like he was taking his regular offseason break, and Choo never said anything to my knowledge.

Let’s not go speculating and causing an issue where there might not be one. If one or both left due to feeling like they got called out, I’d want to hear it from them.

As for WildcatAuthority, they don’t get to tell us what we can do or say with our board. And I’ll just leave it at that.
Choo, a regular poster over here last posted the day that JMJ made that post. That's educated speculation as to what happened there.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

gronk4heisman wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:47 am
Chicat wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:00 pm Hang tight…

Choo, a regular poster over here last posted the day that JMJ made that post. That's educated speculation as to what happened there.
I genuinely hope that’s not what happened. And I genuinely hope that Choo understands just how much his input and participation is valued here.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Merkin wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:11 pm This is what Spiff said.
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Thu May 20, 2021 9:57 am
JMarkJohns wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:36 pm 1. Jason requested on WCA that premium content stay on their forum
2. Immediately one of this site’s posters was mentioned.
3. Jason confirmed yes to that poster, and said there were 2 others he found.
4. In my haste to create a post that engaged who we were in the beginning with hopes of who we would be moving forward, I made this thread.
5. It thoroughly baffled or angered everyone.
6. I’ve played the clown since.

That’s about the gist of it.

Again, I understand the criticisms.
Can I say I'm deeply offended by this?

I've spent over 10 years posting literally thousands of ignorant opinions pulled directly out of my ass on the topic of Arizona Basketball. I feel like all that work has been greatly cheapened by the implication that the BS I've worked so hard to spew is being libeled as potentially the reposting of an educated opinion.

I work hard to be an uneducated outsider, and it cuts me to the quick when that effort is minimized.

It's also fairly ludicrous anyone I was plagiarizing thoughts like "Sidiki Johnson could be a good one" from high level sources with actual insight. I excel at taking the sarcastic posts of others too seriously, defending Sean Miller's honor even though he does not know I exist and posting ill-informed and half-assed theories about Arizona Basketball and have never once taken any of that from premium.

Good day, sir.
So I just glanced in on things and see my good (maybe that's too strong, decent?) name being slandered? Wow.

Kidding. I take time off from internet discussion because it's nice for real world perspective. Also, I basically only post my subjective observations from watching games, videos and stat mining, and there ain't much of that in the summer.

Of course, if people are hot to hear me go off ad nauseum for the 500th time about how much I hate how Bobby Robbins did Sean Miller, I can. I didn't figure that was adding much.

The only part of the above post I did mean seriously is that I have never pretended to be an insider. I don't really know jack shit about Arizona recruiting that isn't public. I post my observations from watching, but I have no inner looks at anything beyond that.

I have some friends who are more connected than I am. I almost never post stuff I heard from them here, because it's not how I view our friendships. I'm content with ignorance and not being an insider. So to double down, I'm back on summer break, y'all have a good time.

Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Spiff is just being nice. He’s actually not posting in the offseason so I can build up my self esteem by being #1 in Rep, but then when sports start back up he’ll blow me away and my ego will shrink like I just got out of a cold pool.
Irish27

Post by Irish27 »

Hey Spiff, how do you feel that the last four hires by Heeke have been people with no head coaching experience? :D