Let's Talk '22

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

YoDeFoe

Re: Let's Talk '22

Post by YoDeFoe »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:12 pm
RondaeShimmy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 11:48 am Way too many bigs

I don't know why people want the wazzu kid at all, fine with the 3 we have and 1 kid (Anderson) in the bullpen

Just the way I see it but we are too slow and not athletic enough at the wings and backcourt (assuming we land Ramsey and Terry comes back) yet again

When you play two traditional post bigs in college who can't go out and play on the perimeter with smaller college bigs defensively or space out the floor offensively, it's a recipe for repeated disaster.
Landing Ramey would be an absolute best case final lineup, IMO.

Bigs, Ballo, Veesaar and Tubelis. Anderson available in emergencies.

Wings, Dalen, Larsson and Bal.

Guards, Kerr and Ramey. If injury/suspension occurs on the perimeter, you slide from a 5 man rotation into a 4 man rotation. Borocavinin is available to maintain an emergency 5 man depth chart.
This is all I ever wanted. Give me Henri and a good two way combo guard and let's call it a day.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:13 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:12 pm

I don't know why people want the wazzu kid at all, fine with the 3 we have and 1 kid (Anderson) in the bullpen

Just the way I see it but we are too slow and not athletic enough at the wings and backcourt (assuming we land Ramsey and Terry comes back) yet again

When you play two traditional post bigs in college who can't go out and play on the perimeter with smaller college bigs defensively or space out the floor offensively, it's a recipe for repeated disaster.
Landing Ramey would be an absolute best case final lineup, IMO.

Bigs, Ballo, Veesaar and Tubelis. Anderson available in emergencies.

Wings, Dalen, Larsson and Bal.

Guards, Kerr and Ramey. If injury/suspension occurs on the perimeter, you slide from a 5 man rotation into a 4 man rotation. Borocavinin is available to maintain an emergency 5 man depth chart.
This is all I ever wanted. Give me Henri and a good two way combo guard and let's call it a day.
I like it better than trying to drop in Efe or Miller by far because you're not stuck trying to sell a talented guy on minimal minutes and worrying about locker room issues or dissatisfaction.

I see that as 8 strong players with 2 additional freshmen to learn and jump in if needed. IMO, pushing for more than that usually leads to things like Kobi Simmons sulking after losing minutes to Trier.

Every dude in that top 8 is someone I'd give 20 mpg to with zero hesitation with the possible exception of needing to see Bal develop physically a little before I lay money. But I fully expect Bal will get there and other than that you have 7 rocks and can easily fill out 200 minutes.
Carcassdragger

Post by Carcassdragger »

My very untrained eye tells me Tube has some issues to work on and development needed. Not a given he'll get there.
2020 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2018 BEARDOWN WILDCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
2017 BEARDOWN WILDCATS RAP Champion
2013 GOAZCATS SURVIVAL POOL Champion
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

To be fair Efe can hang on the perimeter defensively, but your point is made on lack of perimeter offense.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Not sure I agree with the too many bigs situation. If we want to win a title we need depth and versatility at all positions, especially at the lead guard spot. Considering all the bad luck we've had I think putting together a roster like that is just hedging for the inevitable.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

RawleArenas wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 1:10 pm Not sure I agree with the too many bigs situation. If we want to win a title we need depth and versatility at all positions, especially at the lead guard spot. Considering all the bad luck we've had I think putting together a roster like that is just hedging for the inevitable.
Eh, you can't play 12 deep and sooner or later, players are gonna be unhappy sacrificing pro aspirations to sit and hope someone ahead of them gets injured.

If we put too many eggs in that basket, I worry it does more harm than good. I can basically name one time this century a rotation of more than 8 guys was a championship contender and that team lost in the Final Four (2015 Kentucky).
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

Point taken. I don't think 12 is good, but 9ish is allright. I think you can have high impact players who are comfortable with 20 a game. Even if they could start somewhere else. That Kentucky team was exactly what I was thinking of.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Bal and Boro are going to split ~30min at the back end of an eight man rotation with today’s roster, right? Any additional player pushes one out of the rotation and two (like a combo and Miller or Efe) pushes them both to permanent bench roles this year.

I’m struggling with the tension between “these guys have incredible ceilings, I want to see them play” and “you can’t trust growth, you can’t bank on health, you can’t expect ceilings - the program is better the more talent we bring in.”

If we didn’t bring in another player: would y’all be good allocating 17min/g to Bal and 13min/g to Boro? That’d be more like 15 & 5min in a big game.

The Zags had two McD’s AAs in those roles last season. Maybe I’m setting our bar too low.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:07 am Bal and Boro are going to split ~30min at the back end of an eight man rotation with today’s roster, right? Any additional player pushes one out of the rotation and two (like a combo and Miller or Efe) pushes them both to permanent bench roles this year.

I’m struggling with the tension between “these guys have incredible ceilings, I want to see them play” and “you can’t trust growth, you can’t bank on health, you can’t expect ceilings - the program is better the more talent we bring in.”

If we didn’t bring in another player: would y’all be good allocating 17min/g to Bal and 13min/g to Boro? That’d be more like 15 & 5min in a big game.

The Zags had two McD’s AAs in those roles last season. Maybe I’m setting our bar too low.
Basically how I'm viewing it:

PG : Kerr/Transfer Combo
SG: Pelle/Bal/Transfer Combo
SF: Dalen/Bal/Boro
PF: Tubelis/Veesaar/One of the SFs in a small lineup
C: Ballo/Veesaar

If we land Efe I think he starts at the 5 and can slide over to the 4, which pushes Boro into Freshman year Bal playing time. So essentially a 9 man rotation.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

ChooChooCat wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 5:08 am
YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 12:07 am Bal and Boro are going to split ~30min at the back end of an eight man rotation with today’s roster, right? Any additional player pushes one out of the rotation and two (like a combo and Miller or Efe) pushes them both to permanent bench roles this year.

Basically how I'm viewing it:

PG : Kerr/Transfer Combo
SG: Pelle/Bal/Transfer Combo
SF: Dalen/Bal/Boro
PF: Tubelis/Veesaar/One of the SFs in a small lineup
C: Ballo/Veesaar

If we land Efe I think he starts at the 5 and can slide over to the 4, which pushes Boro into Freshman year Bal playing time. So essentially a 9 man rotation.
I think a 9 man rotation is a fantasy unless we're talking about dudes who get PT due to garbage minutes. In a meaningful game, Lloyd is likely going to play our best guys as close to 40min as possible, with the 7th and 8th man collecting a total of 10-20min.

In a tough game: Kerr, Dalen, Pelle, Zu getting ~35min/g, Ballo and Veesaar splitting ~45min, and a combo guard (Bal or a transfer) taking the remaining 15-20min. Maybe an 8th man gets 5min due to foul trouble or the coaches trying a different look.

That's just how it shakes out. Players emerge as better than their competitors on the roster and they get the PT.

If we got Efe, I don't know what we would change about the above beyond... reducing Zu's minutes? Sending Ballo to the bench such that he only plays 10 min as the second big off the bench? Is that what we're hoping to do - reduce the impact of the returning 1st all conf player and arguable sixth man winner?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

I’m of the opinion that a 9 man rotation works much better if we added a combo forward and not a 4/5, but what do I know?

If I was a betting man I’d bet on Efe ending up at Maryland and Miller ending up in the G League after getting drafted late 1st/early 2nd. If Arizona does miss on both then I imagine a late transfer addition or maybe even another international are added.
Dave

Post by Dave »

[/quote]
If we got Efe, I don't know what we would change the above beyond... reducing Zu's minutes? Sending Ballo to the bench such that he only plays 10 min as the second big off the bench? Is that what we're hoping to do - reduce the impact of the returning 1st all conf player and arguable sixth man winner?
[/quote]

Efe’s only use to playing about 20 minutes per game because of a knee injury.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cougce ... highlights
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

I'm just saying

YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

On the flip side - we sure could have used a back-up to Zu back in March.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

YoDeFoe wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 4:17 pm On the flip side - we sure could have used a back-up to Zu back in March.
We had one, but he did something really stupid. With that said if he didn’t do that stupid thing we would’ve had a 9 man rotation all year.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Are we ever going to find out the stupid thing?

Also, I wonder if Zu ever fully recovered from the ankle injury
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Postmaster wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 10:47 pm Are we ever going to find out the stupid thing?

Also, I wonder if Zu ever fully recovered from the ankle injury
Officially, no. If you wanna grab brews one day I'd tell ya though. It's nothing earth shattering, I promise.
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

To be broad, probably just being a bad teammate?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Let it be. Does not matter anymore.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:25 am Let it be. Does not matter anymore.
Beatles + Metallica.
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

dmjcat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 2:56 pm
I see the fit much easier than with Efe. Positional flexibility to the wing and/or 4 helps a lot.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:21 pm
I see the fit much easier than with Efe. Positional flexibility to the wing and/or 4 helps a lot.
He’s going to want to start and if Terry comes back that ain’t happening.
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 3:33 pm
don't like him as much as a 3 - feels like he can play there some minutes there in a big lineup, but he's a more natural 4
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

goslingswagg wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:01 pm
don't like him as much as a 3 - feels like he can play there some minutes there in a big lineup, but he's a more natural 4
He can probably defend a 3, but yeah he doesn’t have a wing’s offense outside of a midrange jumper.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

I've said it a ton, but I wonder how many of our recruits will.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 4:42 pm
He can probably defend a 3, but yeah he doesn’t have a wing’s offense outside of a midrange jumper.
What is this midrange jumper you speak of?
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:35 am
EastCoastCat wrote: Mon May 23, 2022 9:25 am Let it be. Does not matter anymore.
Beatles + Metallica.
I think it’s “nothing else matters”.

Of course, maybe we should only make Who references, based on the coach.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Postmaster wrote: Tue May 24, 2022 9:26 pm

It's also known as the worst shot in modern basketball and the reason no one appreciates Demar DeRozan.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Spaceman Spiff wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 8:21 am

It's also known as the worst shot in modern basketball and the reason no one appreciates Demar DeRozan.
I had a killer mid-range jumper (back in the day)!!!
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

pc in NM wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:04 am

He's talking about after the 3 point line went into effect. ;)
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

UAEebs86 wrote: Wed May 25, 2022 9:15 am

He's talking about after the 3 point line went into effect. ;)
I know. 8-) Fortunately, I was forced to quit BB in ‘86 due to a hernieted disk…

… I was more or less obsolete by then anyway. :roll:
“If you have the choice between humble and cocky, go with cocky. There's always time to be humble later, once you've been proven horrendously, irrevocably wrong.”

― Kinky Friedman
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Did you use the glass? It only counts if you used the glass.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Now that’s Old School!
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 12:11 pm

HV can play on the perimeter (on both ends), Tubelis hopefully gets more perimeter skills on both ends (he showed some willingness to shoot from distance last season), and Efe can play on the perimeter on both ends (though I don't like him taking those shots unless he improves his feel from distance).
In theory.

I've just seen this way too many times already and recently. An opposing team of like 3 or 4 guys 6'3 and under and maybe a 6'5 guy and a 6'8-6'9 "big" will dribble past them and strip them the ball consistently while also preventing our guards from even getting the ball to the bigs

Kinda disappointed Lloyd picked up where Miller left off in being obsessed with SIZE. I initially thought he played the way he did because he inherited a couple good bigs and you're forced to play them together but this seems like it's continuing.

We're going to be too big and slow again when it matters most.
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

GlobalCat

Post by GlobalCat »

Nice profile in the Toronto Star on Leonard Miller

How Scarborough’s Leonard Miller became this year’s most intriguing NBA draft prospect
Miller has to decide whether to stay in the NBA draft, withdraw his name before Wednesday and maintain his college eligibility or spend next year earning a salary with the G League Ignite before entering the draft again.
https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2022/0 ... spect.html
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Miller making announcement tomorrow (5/31) @ 4EST
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

Are we to assume that we will know DT's decision by then or does it matter?
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

IndianaZonaFan wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:19 pm Miller making announcement tomorrow (5/31) @ 4EST
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

84Cat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:22 pm Are we to assume that we will know DT's decision by then or does it matter?
Likely won’t know DT’s decision until the following day.
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 7:02 pm
84Cat wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 5:22 pm Are we to assume that we will know DT's decision by then or does it matter?
What's your gut on Miller, Choo?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 7:55 am
G League
azgreg

Post by azgreg »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:03 am
G League
84Cat

Post by 84Cat »

As expected
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

He's this year's Ndudi Ebi.
pc in NM

Post by pc in NM »

Another none-and-done!!

I'm skeptical of the missed value, in any case....

― Kinky Friedman
billk78

Post by billk78 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Tue May 31, 2022 8:03 am
G League
Nice call, as usual :)
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Hmmm....