Let's Talk '22

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

IndianaZonaFan

Re: Let's Talk '22

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

Ari, I feel that.

However, we gain experience and guys who appear to fit what we want to do scheme-wise. I doubt we get a 1 seed again. But I’m thinking somewhere around a 3-5 seed and compete for pac title.
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

I know this thread says “Let’s Talk” but shit I can’t wait to see this team on the court.

But also being a longtime fan, I always temper my expectations until we play some meaningful games.
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm
But also being a longtime fan, I always temper my expectations until we play some meaningful games.
Totally. And we lost our big three, so even though this new group looks terrific on paper, we won't really know what we have till November.

Still, I love the blend of size, shooting and roster versatility.

Tommy's got some nice pieces to work with.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

EastCoastCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:26 pm I know this thread says “Let’s Talk” but shit I can’t wait to see this team on the court.

Oh yeah, I'm way past tempering today lol - Spiff gave us a good reason why the ceiling is questionable and I replied back twice "nuh-uh" :lol:
dmjcat

Post by dmjcat »

ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:21 pm
Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:12 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:02 pm I know it's early, and this is probably the wrong thread, but I really, really wanna see some Pac 12 preview chatter after the dust settles from these two huge commitments.

I think most Pac rosters are pretty solidified at this point. Lots of new players in the league this season, transfers and freshmen. Should be a fun season.
I was also wondering where our current roster slots us in the league, but I don’t know near enough about the other rosters to take a guess.
From earlier this month:

https://tucson.com/sports/arizonawildca ... b97fa.html
Yeah, but where does Wilner have us? 11th?
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:06 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:40 pm
YoDeFoe wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:35 pm
Spaceman Spiff wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:22 pm
Beachcat97 wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 1:02 pm I know it's early, and this is probably the wrong thread, but I really, really wanna see some Pac 12 preview chatter after the dust settles from these two huge commitments.

I think most Pac rosters are pretty solidified at this point. Lots of new players in the league this season, transfers and freshmen. Should be a fun season.
Positive take. I think we win the Pac. We have a lot of solid players who fit well and know how to avoid weird upsets by bringing a lunch pail to games like Cal and Oregon State.

Negative take. I think we fall short of the FF because we lack enough pro level talent for when it comes time to face the big boys.

Epitome of high floor, low ceiling.
I buy this. I think our defense, guard play, and outside shooting make us dangerous come tournament time. Veesaar could blow up into a full blown problem come tournament time. Would love to imagine Zu and Pelle as reliable tournament bucket getters.
Just to clarify...I agree with being dangerous. Maybe a better way to put my thought is we have the mark of a team who will have a fantastic regular season record, but less of the potential extra level in the tournament that teams with a bunch of NBA prospects do.

Edit: Like Garza's last Iowa team. Great regular season, #2 seed...also not a shock when your guy Duarte got them in the 2nd round.
I get what you mean - you usually have to have a couple of guys with next level talent to break through. But it's not a rule, right?

UNC made it to the title game without an NBA draft pick. Nova made it to the FF without one. Houston beat Arizona despite Arizona's three first round picks and Houston's zero.

That's why I point to defense, guard play, and three point shooting. Because those things can keep you in a game and if the ball bounces the right way you keep dancing.
I don't disagree. IMO, there are never "rules" so much as probabilities. UNC was partially Caleb Love and Bacot playing like NBA players for 6 games when the remainder of their resume qould suggest otherwise.

Less future NBA talent lessesns the % chance, but you're correct that it's percentages, not absolutes.
UAEebs86

Post by UAEebs86 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:54 pm

I was also wondering where our current roster slots us in the league, but I don’t know near enough about the other rosters to take a guess.
From earlier this month:

12th. Goodman has us 13th.
We are the people our parents warned us about.
-JB
2022 Survival Pool Co-Champion
U.P. Zona Fan

Post by U.P. Zona Fan »

Nice work!!! Good day, getting those 2. Doesn't make up for DT leaving but that just means these guys will have more chance to shine.
Arizona State might have the most surprisingly anemic history in men's basketball of any program that you might think is better than it is.
-Norlander.
RawleArenas

Post by RawleArenas »

I can understand some of the tempered expectations because of the loss of DT and Koloko. But basketball's all about trade offs. The year before last, we had more talent on paper, but were nowhere close to being a dominant team.

This year although we have no Koloko, we have more frontcourt depth with Anderson, and in Veesar a polished 4/5 who could have a breakout year (hoping he stays for two) who can do things offensively that Koloko couldn't. We also have a one-two punch in the backcourt, something we've lacked in a looong time. They're also players without a lot of question marks. You know what you're getting with them. The closest we came to this was Nico and BWill and injuries took away that pairing. Love the experience and potential with Ramey and Kriisa.

Next year's team has a far better chance to sneak up on people than this past years. Pieces-wise its not an overly sexy team, but a team that could gel and peak at the right time.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

dmjcat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:54 pm
Nobody offered him a Lamborghini to stay in Austin?
Beachcat97

Post by Beachcat97 »

ChooChooCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:54 pm

From earlier this month:

Wilner's an incompetent chode. I've followed his columns for a while now, and I'm left with the impression that he knows very, very little about his usual topics. It's kind of embarrassing, really.

I'm looking forward to the adjustments of these forecasts, in light of our major recruiting coup this week.

Most picked us to finish no higher than 4th last season. I'd love to have these fuckers underestimate us again.
TheCat

Post by TheCat »

I think we are underestimating Bal by a bunch. If he can play decent defense he will play starter minutes. He will be close to our best shooter.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

TheCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:36 pm I think we are underestimating Bal by a bunch. If he can play decent defense he will play starter minutes. He will be close to our best shooter.
We can’t evaluate Bal until we see what kind of shape he’s in. If he put on muscle, he can be great.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
EastCoastCat

Post by EastCoastCat »

Chicat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:00 pm
TheCat wrote: Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:36 pm I think we are underestimating Bal by a bunch. If he can play decent defense he will play starter minutes. He will be close to our best shooter.
We can’t evaluate Bal until we see what kind of shape he’s in. If he put on muscle, he can be great.
That’s why I said he was the wild card for me. Does he take that leap from flashes of brilliance that we saw last year and become a major contributor - meaning more than just hitting a couple of outside shots in limited minutes? Can he defend for long stretches at a time?

His development will be closely watched and could be the difference between us being not just a very good but a great team.
Postmaster

Post by Postmaster »

Will he stick around?
Seems like his minutes are getting whittled away
IndianaZonaFan

Post by IndianaZonaFan »

He should move up to about 20 minutes this year. Then he still has 2 more years to get even better
TucsonClip

Courtney Ramey

Post by TucsonClip »

I went through a couple Texas games this morning, mainly @ Kansas and TCU, and have a few brief takeaways on Ramey and his fit.

First, the focus around him is definitely defensively. We needed a perimeter defender to fill in for losing Dalen. While they are both quality defenders, they go about things a bit differently. Dalen could get up into guys and absolutely engulf them with his length and athleticism. Ramey is no slouch athletically, but he goes about things a bit different.

Ramey is rarely in a bad position. He is always engaged, active, talking, staying in position. He clearly can defend 1-3, and Beard had him on all sorts of wings, so he should profile in Dalen's role seamlessly. His best asset is that he is constantly stuck to his man. He makes life difficult because you never shake him. Even if hes playing off you, hes occupying your driving lane, hes stuck to you off the ball, hes fighting over screens, hes physical, and constantly in your way.

He isnt Tony Allen getting over screens, but hes pretty good. Beard had him face guard Agbaji the entire game, which takes a lot out of you, and he did an amazing job. The game at Kansas, Agbaji was 1-11 and virtually all of those were against Ramey's defense. He isnt the most prolific shot creator, so Ramey sticking to him like glue, face guarding, not helping, shut him down.

Laterally he is good, physically he is good, but dont expect Chris Rodgers out there hounding the ball. As I said above, he is always in between his man and the rim, being a pest, sliding and cutting off drives, walling up in the paint, not giving you space to the rim, contesting shots, and he since he isnt so aggressive on ball, he doesnt foul much.

Offensively, he reminds me a bit of Kier. Hes definitely a combo guard, but he can handle the ball, run some point, has solid vision and handles, but he isnt replicating anything Kerr does running the offense. Hes at his best spotting up to catch and shoot, can get to the rim on straight line drives, solid vision when attacking, but clearly will benefit playing next to Kerr as a starter and not being asked to run the offense.

Regarding his fit, I think its as good as we could have hoped for, considering we needed a wing defender like him. Youre going to take the good on defense with the up and down on offense. Hes the #1 option on defense, he will likely be the defensive leader and certainly the communicator. I will be interested to see how he fares with a bit more freedom to jump passing lanes, pressure the ball, ect.

Where he will likely struggle at times is adjusting to the tempo of the offensive flow, the side to side, quick decisions, not over dribbling, DHO and make a read, move the ball.

Overall, he helps to fill a pretty big hole defensively, and will remind you a bit of Kier on offense as well. Good fit, good defender, needs to make quicker reads, he should see more spot up looks and face 1v1 straight line drives, plus have more freedom to forces TOs on defense.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier