Devonaire Doutrive

Moderators: UAdevil, JMarkJohns

Olsondogg

Re: Devonaire Doutrive

Post by Olsondogg »

Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:This will sort itself out as the season progresses. This team is like a giant puzzle, unlike past teams where 1 or 2 players were indispensable. When February rolls around ( if not sooner) take a look at who’s on the floor with 3 minutes left in a close game. Those will be the best 5 players.
Yeah. We are very much developing. The three freshmen seem indispensable, but I'm honestly not sure on anyone else, which shocks me because I was sure about Jeter preseason.
Jeter is what he is, and what he was last year. We were just so dependent on him the whole season last season. He's solid, although he seems reluctant to take the charges he was last year. I like what we get from Jeter.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Olsondogg wrote:
Spaceman Spiff wrote:
zonagrad wrote:This will sort itself out as the season progresses. This team is like a giant puzzle, unlike past teams where 1 or 2 players were indispensable. When February rolls around ( if not sooner) take a look at who’s on the floor with 3 minutes left in a close game. Those will be the best 5 players.
Yeah. We are very much developing. The three freshmen seem indispensable, but I'm honestly not sure on anyone else, which shocks me because I was sure about Jeter preseason.
Jeter is what he is, and what he was last year. We were just so dependent on him the whole season last season. He's solid, although he seems reluctant to take the charges he was last year. I like what we get from Jeter.
I don't know where his shooting touch went (33% eFG and 7-14 from the line? C'mon dude). But he's still our best rebounder and is doing well on D.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Doutrive seems better while he has the ball in his hands, while Baker and Hazzard are better off ball

He seems like the best backup pg option, for that reason I think he's better off the bench leading the second unit. But he deserves to be in the lineup in a close game in the final 5 minutes of the game
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:Doutrive seems better while he has the ball in his hands, while Baker and Hazzard are better off ball

He seems like the best backup pg option, for that reason I think he's better off the bench leading the second unit. But he deserves to be in the lineup in a close game in the final 5 minutes of the game
Worth noting: Baker has 12 assists against a single turnover. He's proving to be an excellent back-up PG.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Kicked off the team.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

meh
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
goslingswagg

Post by goslingswagg »

lmfaoooo christ
billk78

Post by billk78 »

Wow. WAs this because he was mad about minutes last night? Or another case of the mary jane?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

billk78 wrote:Wow. WAs this because he was mad about minutes last night? Or another case of the mary jane?
This one was all about him not buying in I'm told.
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

ChooChooCat wrote:
billk78 wrote:Wow. WAs this because he was mad about minutes last night? Or another case of the mary jane?
That's really a shame because he has so much potential. Some guys just don't understand that basketball is a team game and the goal is to win.
CatFanOneMil

Post by CatFanOneMil »

Maybe he and Akot can start their own league of legends...
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Since Baker is much better and eligible immediately, this doesn't hurt as much as much.

Frankly anytime players are killing it in practice and it never shows in game, it'll never show up on the court.

This does mean more Smith though
Last edited by RondaeShimmy on Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

zonagrad wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
That's really a shame because he has so much potential. Some guys just don't understand that basketball is a team game and the goal is to win.
Btw that was the PG rating version of what I was told.
TucsonClip

Post by TucsonClip »

ChooChooCat wrote:
Shouldnt be a surprise. Think hes been overrated by our fanbase anyway.
"Plus, why would I go to the NBA? Duke players suck in the pros."

-Shane Battier
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

I have no basis or connections so this is pure reckless speculation but I'd like to think that Coach Miller told DD last week that one more hint of a problem & he's done. There's at least a perceived chemistry to this team (if not full on legit chemistry) & that needs to be protected. This blunt of a statement has to read a little like, "if you're not going to get fully on board, best of luck."
baycat93

Post by baycat93 »

This has a Chris Rodgers feel to it.

Seems like CSM has learned his lesson and is not going to let a malcontent ruin what seems like good team chemistry otherwise.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

Never a dull moment with AZ basketball
PHXCATS

Post by PHXCATS »

Bear Down Vegas wrote:I have no basis or connections so this is pure reckless speculation but I'd like to think that Coach Miller told DD last week that one more hint of a problem & he's done. There's at least a perceived chemistry to this team (if not full on legit chemistry) & that needs to be protected. This blunt of a statement has to read a little like, "if you're not going to get fully on board, best of luck."
Pun intended?
2018 Bear Down Wildcats Conference Championship Challenge Champion
Bear Down Vegas

Post by Bear Down Vegas »

PHXCATS wrote:
Bear Down Vegas wrote:I have no basis or connections so this is pure reckless speculation but I'd like to think that Coach Miller told DD last week that one more hint of a problem & he's done. There's at least a perceived chemistry to this team (if not full on legit chemistry) & that needs to be protected. This blunt of a statement has to read a little like, "if you're not going to get fully on board, best of luck."
Pun intended?
Ha. Actually unintended but that's funny.
97cats

Post by 97cats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
same shit as last year - nothings changed
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yup.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
I still have that post of yours you made after he left in the summer bookmarked

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=3885&p=388051#p388051" target="_blank
NickyBCats

Post by NickyBCats »

ChooChooCat wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
Yup.

He played 19 minutes last night. Not really shocked based on what we’ve heard from the kid. Did him and Miller get into it or did he do something stupid last night?
DrWildcat

Post by DrWildcat »

Owell, sounds like overall this is a good thing. Buy in or GTFO!
97cats

Post by 97cats »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

well there you have it folks - i forgot i said that....but there it is
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

If that's the case, good. This team's chemistry has been amazing. Can't afford to have 1 person ruin that.
Olsondogg

Post by Olsondogg »

Good. Give me a Hazzard or Baker any day.

Fuck the me first dudes. We ain’t got time for that shit anymore.
I fly like a hawk, or better yet an eagle--a seagull. I sniff suckers out like a beagle...My ego is off and running and gone, Cause I'm about the best and if you diss than that's wrong
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Was DD the guy in the last minute that was supposed to inbound the ball, but stood on the baseline waiting for someone to hand him the ball that was sitting three feet inside the court? The ref started the five count and Miller had to call a timeout. It was hard to see on TV, but it looked like Miller gave the GTFO point and DD was done
sirhamsalot

Post by sirhamsalot »

mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Was DD the guy in the last minute that was supposed to inbound the ball, but stood on the baseline waiting for someone to hand him the ball that was sitting three feet inside the court? The ref started the five count and Miller had to call a timeout. It was hard to see on TV, but it looked like Miller gave the GTFO point and DD was done
Pretty sure that was Smith.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

sirhamsalot wrote:
mrqsjhnsnsux wrote:Was DD the guy in the last minute that was supposed to inbound the ball, but stood on the baseline waiting for someone to hand him the ball that was sitting three feet inside the court? The ref started the five count and Miller had to call a timeout. It was hard to see on TV, but it looked like Miller gave the GTFO point and DD was done
It was Smith. I thought Miller was upset with the ref for doing that.
CalStateTempe

Post by CalStateTempe »

Love it...gtfo DD.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

RondaeShimmy wrote:
97cats wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:

After that post, I've had it in my head that even if we had DD this year - he wouldn't be here next season. Just came sooner than I expected.

I knew DD wasn't going to be happy playing the three and coming off the bench.
mrqsjhnsnsux

Post by mrqsjhnsnsux »

Thanks for clarifying. I was pissed about betting on the Cats to cover 25 and didn’t go back to see what exactly happened. I did notice DD was way outside the huddles after that and didn’t look like he cared
KaibabKat

Post by KaibabKat »

I am sure that we will all greatly miss him and his career win share (singular).
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
sirhamsalot wrote:
He was...because it was bullshit by the ref. It was a made FT and the team that made the FT was setting up defensively to press. None of them offered the ball to the ref even though it was next to their feet. The ref didn't try to get it to Smith, who refused it or anything like that. It is not the offensive player's duty to go get the ball on the floor under the basket off a made FT. If it had been caught coming out of the net then dropped to buy time, or the ref or other team had made a good faith effort to get him the ball and he purposely stone-handed it, sure.

But it is not like he was getting extra time to inbound the ball...if someone broke open, he didn't have the ball anyway. It was a smarmy move by the ref. If Smith picks the ball up then steps across the baseline in a position that is not where he wants to start, do they start the count?

Sean was pissed. And I think rightfully so. Unless I missed something before the count started.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

EVCat wrote:
Frybry02 wrote:
sirhamsalot wrote:
He was...because it was bullshit by the ref. It was a made FT and the team that made the FT was setting up defensively to press. None of them offered the ball to the ref even though it was next to their feet. The ref didn't try to get it to Smith, who refused it or anything like that. It is not the offensive player's duty to go get the ball on the floor under the basket off a made FT. If it had been caught coming out of the net then dropped to buy time, or the ref or other team had made a good faith effort to get him the ball and he purposely stone-handed it, sure.

But it is not like he was getting extra time to inbound the ball...if someone broke open, he didn't have the ball anyway. It was a smarmy move by the ref. If Smith picks the ball up then steps across the baseline in a position that is not where he wants to start, do they start the count?

Sean was pissed. And I think rightfully so. Unless I missed something before the count started.
I thought Miller was pissed at the ref too. The count runs when the player touches it. Players will let the ball bounce a bit to let people get set all the time.

If the ref thought the delay was unnecessary, don't run the count, hand the ball. I'm not the biggest Smith fan, but that was the ref. Smith made a smart play and Miller had to take a TO to prevent a 5 second call.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

NCAA Rulebook on throw in:

Art. 4. A throw-in and the throw-in count shall begin when the ball is at the disposal of the player entitled to the throw-in.

So, the ref determined that a ball lying in the playing area after a made FT is "at the disposal of the player"? Despite there being no attempt to get him the ball by players or refs?
Jefe

Post by Jefe »

What a waste. Who could we have landed recruit wise? F me
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

just more minutes for 2020 wings. There are a lot of open minutes next year at the wings.
EVCat

Post by EVCat »

Jefe wrote:What a waste. Who could we have landed recruit wise? F me
Did we leave any recruits on the table when he returned to the team this summer?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

EVCat wrote:
Did we leave any recruits on the table when he returned to the team this summer?
Nope. If BWill didn't have his surgery or if we knew Baker would've been eligible immediately then DD would've never been retained in the first place.

I know Arizona intends to take 3-4 wings in this class, so this makes it that much easier to recruit.
Frybry02

Post by Frybry02 »

ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:
Nope. If BWill didn't have his surgery or if we knew Baker would've been eligible immediately then DD would've never been retained in the first place.

I know Arizona intends to take 3-4 wings in this class, so this makes it that much easier to recruit.
If Armstrong stuck around, would DD been welcomed back?
ChooChooCat

Post by ChooChooCat »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

Probably not, but then again Armstrong would've been DD V2.0.
Spaceman Spiff

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

Frybry02 wrote:
ChooChooCat wrote:
EVCat wrote:

If Baker got approved for the waiver earlier, would DD have returned?

The discouraging thing about DD is it doesn't seem like he was willing to compete for time. He also wasn't good enough to get time on talent.
Chicat

Post by Chicat »

Well..... bye.
Of the 12 coaches, Rush picked the one whose fans have the deepest passion, the longest memories, the greatest lung capacity and … did I mention deep passion?
zonagrad

Post by zonagrad »

Doutrive could've been a lock-down defender and a nightmare matchup on offense because of his offensive rebounding ability. What he was trying to be and what everyone else expected him to be were divergent. He could've been a fan-favorite had he embraced his role and played for the team first. You can't say it was a recruiting miss -- cuz he has talent. But it's hard to gauge if a player is gonna buy in. He never did.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Just going to shamelessly quote reply my own comment from this summer when I thought DD was gone and we were replacing him with Baker....
-----------------
Again, worth contrasting against the player replacing DD:

Jemarl Baker was a high school honor roll student, a dean's list student at UK, and an SEC Academic Honor Roll member. His father was a D1 basketball player. His sister is a D1 basketball player. Baker led his AAU circuit in three point shooting. He dropped 30 on Lonzo Ball in one game and held Lamelo to 17 in another. He played AAU with Ira Lee for West Coast Elite, the same program as Nico and Josh.

Here's how his dad describes him: “I really groomed him to be a point guard, but I also taught him that you can’t get on the court if you don’t play defense. If you can’t defend, you can’t get in the game. He knows you have to defend before you can shoot, pass or do anything,” Baker Sr. told me before his son ever got to Kentucky.

Here's UK's assistant coach: “When we’re recruiting backcourt guys, you always want someone that can create for themselves but first and foremost create for others because of what we’re going to have here,” Justus says. “The type of guys that we’re going to have and the type of players that have the type of dreams that they do, you need guys that can create for other people first but are also a threat, that have to be guarded.”

Here's how Reid Travis describes him: “He always seems to be in the right spot as far as getting loose balls and talking on defense,” said Travis. “He just does the little things right…never complains, always works hard so you respect a guy that comes to work every day…does what he has to do, and when he gets an opportunity, he’s able to take advantage of it. I’m really happy for him.”

We're upgrading, for sure.
--------------------------
DD is not a guy that came from the above kind of coaching environment, which is unfortunate for him most of all. You look at the guys on this team - they've been coached by excellent coaches and programs. They know how to bring it in practice. They know how to play a role within a team. At best it was going to rub off on DD but the risk was that he would be the odd man out among a group of professionals.

Dalen Terry, our one signed recruit for next season, is the same kind of guy. Same with Jordan Brown and BWill (potential returner). We lost out on talent and I feel for Doutrive, but this season and next season will have better stability and chemistry without him.
Alieberman

Post by Alieberman »

This seems to hurt us more for next year.
RondaeShimmy

Post by RondaeShimmy »

Alieberman wrote:This seems to hurt us more for next year.
I mean doesn't this whole episode suggest he would've done this again and possibly leave again in the summer.

At worst he's still on next year's team and brings down that team that might not be as talented as this year's.
YoDeFoe

Post by YoDeFoe »

Alieberman wrote:This seems to hurt us more for next year.
As others have argued - this provides more clear, open minutes next season. The clarity should be useful in convincing quality recruits to come on board.